Abiomed Announces Q4 FY 2017 Revenue of $124.7 Million, Up 33% Over Prior Year and Total Year Revenue of $445.3 Million, Up 35% Over Prior Year
4.5.2017 13:00 | NASDAQ OMX
DANVERS, Mass., May 04, 2017 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Abiomed, Inc. (NASDAQ:ABMD), a leading provider of breakthrough heart support technologies, today reported fourth quarter fiscal 2017 revenue of $124.7 million, an increase of 33% compared to revenue of $94.0 million for the same period of fiscal 2016. For fiscal year 2017, total revenue was $445.3 million, up 35% compared to revenue of $329.5 million in fiscal year 2016.
Fourth quarter fiscal 2017 GAAP net income was $14.9 million or $0.33 per diluted share, impacted by $3.1 million or $0.07 per diluted share of one-time items, described below. For the full fiscal year, GAAP net income was $52.1 million or $1.17 per diluted share.
Financial and operating highlights during the fourth quarter of fiscal 2017 include:
- Fiscal fourth quarter worldwide Impella® heart pump revenue totaled $118.9 million, an increase of 34% compared to revenue of $88.6 million during
- U.S. Impella heart pump revenue for the quarter grew 32% to $108.2 million from $81.8 million in the prior fiscal year with U.S. patient usage of the Impella heart pumps up 30%. Full year U.S. Impella revenue totaled $387.5 million, up 35% compared to $287.2 million in the prior fiscal year.
- The installed base for Impella 2.5® heart pumps in the U.S. grew by an additional 19 hospitals, which made initial purchases of Impella heart pumps, bringing the installed customer base to 1,138 sites. The installed customer base for Impella CP® heart pumps grew by 44 new U.S. hospitals, bringing the total number of Impella CP sites to 1,016. The installed customer base for Impella 5.0® heart pumps grew by 11 new U.S. hospitals, bringing the total number of Impella 5.0 sites to 453.
- An additional 7 sites made initial purchases of Impella RP® heart pumps during the quarter, bringing the total number of sites to 127.
- Gross margin for fiscal fourth quarter 2017 was 84.6% compared to 84.4% in the fourth quarter of fiscal 2016. For the full fiscal year, gross margin was 84.1% compared to 84.7% in the prior year.
- Operating income for the fourth quarter of fiscal 2017 was $29.0 million, or 23.3% operating margin, compared to $19.8 million, or 21.1% operating margin in the prior year period. For the full fiscal year, operating income was $90.1 million, or 20.2% of revenue, compared to $65.1 million, or 19.8% of revenue in the prior year.
- The Company generated $18.2 million in cash, cash equivalents and marketable securities in the fourth quarter of fiscal 2017, bringing the total to $277.1 million as of March 31, 2017. The Company currently has no debt.
- Fourth quarter fiscal 2017 GAAP net income was $14.9 million or $0.33 per diluted share and full fiscal year GAAP net income was $52.1 million or $1.17 per diluted share. This compares to GAAP net income for the fourth quarter of fiscal 2016 of $11.0 million or $0.24 per diluted share and full fiscal year GAAP net income of $38.1 million or $0.85 per diluted share. During the fourth quarter of fiscal 2017, the Company recorded a non-recurring income tax charge of $3.1 million, or $0.07 per diluted share, related to uncertainty about the utilization of research and development tax credits.
- Beginning in the first quarter of fiscal 2018, the Company will adopt a new accounting standard entitled "Improvements to Employee Share-Based Payment Accounting". Under this new standard, excess tax benefits and deficiencies associated with employee share-based payments will no longer be recognized as additional paid-in capital on the balance sheet, but instead will be recognized directly to income tax expense or benefit in the income statement for the reporting period in which they occur. The adoption of the new accounting standard is likely to introduce positive fluctuations to net income, our tax provision and earnings per share this year, but will not impact Abiomed's operating income or cash tax paid.
- On February 23, 2017, Abiomed announced that it has supported more than 50,000 patients in the U.S. with its Impella® heart pumps.
- On March 19, 2017 at the American College of Cardiology (ACC) 66th Annual Scientific Session in Washington, D.C, Abiomed announced and presented data from the Impella® Quality (IQ) Assurance Program, which includes the IQ Database and cVAD RegistryTM. The Abiomed IQ Assurance Program is a real-world collection of clinical information derived from the treatment of patients with Impella devices since 2008. Trends in the observational IQ Database, combined with information from Abiomed's Institutional Review Board (IRB)-approved cVAD Registry have helped identify best practices and protocols that are associated with improved survival and native heart recovery in hospitals using Impella devices. The data presented also included new data from the Detroit Cardiogenic Shock Initiative (DCSI), which is an unprecedented collaboration between five heart hospitals in Detroit focused on systematic best practices to increase cardiogenic shock survival rates.
- On March 30, 2017, Abiomed announced the Grand Opening of Newly-Expanded manufacturing and training space at Danvers, Massachusetts headquarters.
- Today, Abiomed announced in a separate press release, the first patient enrolled in the STEMI Door to Unloading (DTU) feasibility study.
"Abiomed remains one of the fastest growing GAAP profitable companies and fiscal 2017 was another successful year as we achieved our corporate goals with two FDA approvals, approval in Japan, and dedicated DRGs from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS)," said Michael R. Minogue, Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer, Abiomed. "We want to thank our shareholders for their support and all of our employees and customers for their hard work and dedication to patients and our mission of heart recovery."
FISCAL YEAR 2018 OUTLOOK
The Company is giving its fiscal year 2018 guidance for total revenues to be in the range of $555 million to $575 million, an increase of 25% - 29% over the prior year. The Company is also giving its fiscal year 2018 guidance for GAAP operating margin to be in the range of 22% to 24%.
EARNINGS CONFERENCE CALL DETAILS
The Company will host a conference call to discuss the results at 8 a.m. ET on Thursday, May 4, 2017. The conference call releasing full quarterly results will be hosted by Michael R. Minogue, Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer and Michael Tomsicek, Vice President and Chief Financial Officer.
To listen to the call live, please tune into the webcast via http://investor.abiomed.com or dial (855) 212-2361; the international number is (678) 809-1538. A replay of this conference call will be available beginning at 11 a.m. EDT May 4, 2017 through 11:00 a.m. EDT on May 7, 2017. The replay phone number is (855) 859-2056; the international number is (404) 537-3406. The replay access code is 3991529.
The ABIOMED logo, ABIOMED, Impella, Impella 2.5, Impella CP, Impella 5.0, Impella RP, and Recovering Hearts. Saving Lives. are registered trademarks of ABIOMED, Inc. in the U.S. and in certain foreign countries. cVAD Registry is a trademark of ABIOMED, Inc.
Based in Danvers, Massachusetts, Abiomed, Inc. is a leading provider of medical devices that provide circulatory support. Our products are designed to enable the heart to rest by improving blood flow and/or performing the pumping of the heart. For additional information, please visit: www.abiomed.com
This release contains forward-looking statements, including statements regarding development of Abiomed's existing and new products, the Company's progress toward commercial growth, and future opportunities and expected regulatory approvals. The Company's actual results may differ materially from those anticipated in these forward-looking statements based upon a number of factors, including uncertainties associated with development, testing and related regulatory approvals, including the potential for future losses, complex manufacturing, high quality requirements, dependence on limited sources of supply, competition, technological change, government regulation, litigation matters, future capital needs and uncertainty of additional financing, and other risks and challenges detailed in the Company's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including the most recently filed Annual Report on Form 10-K and Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q. Readers are cautioned not to place undue reliance on any forward-looking statements, which speak only as of the date of this release. The Company undertakes no obligation to publicly release the results of any revisions to these forward-looking statements that may be made to reflect events or circumstances that occur after the date of this release or to reflect the occurrence of unanticipated events.
|Abiomed, Inc. and Subsidiaries|
|Consolidated Balance Sheets|
|(in thousands, except share data)|
|March 31, 2017||March 31, 2016|
|Cash and cash equivalents||$||39,040||$||48,231|
|Short-term marketable securities||190,908||163,822|
|Accounts receivable, net||54,055||42,821|
|Prepaid expenses and other current assets||8,024||6,778|
|Total current assets||326,958||288,392|
|Long-term marketable securities||47,143||1,000|
|Property and equipment, net||87,777||23,184|
|In-process research and development||14,482||15,396|
|Long-term deferred tax assets, net||34,723||58,534|
|LIABILITIES AND STOCKHOLDERS' EQUITY|
|Current portion of capital lease obligation||799||-|
|Total current liabilities||69,617||46,541|
|Other long-term liabilities||3,251||220|
|Long-term deferred tax liabilities||783||832|
|Capital lease obligation, net of current portion||15,539||-|
|Commitments and contingencies|
|Class B Preferred Stock, $.01 par value||-||-|
|Authorized - 1,000,000 shares; Issued and outstanding - none|
|Common stock, $.01 par value||437||426|
|Authorized - 100,000,000 shares; Issued - 45,249,281 shares at March 31, 2017 and 43,973,119 shares at March 31, 2016;|
|Outstanding - 43,673,286 shares at March 31, 2017 and 42,596,228 shares at March 31, 2016|
|Additional paid in capital||565,962||508,624|
|Treasury stock at cost - 1,575,995 shares at March 31, 2017 and 1,376,891 shares at March 31, 2016||(46,763||)||(26,660||)|
|Accumulated other comprehensive loss||(20,606||)||(14,540||)|
|Total stockholders' equity||452,071||368,775|
|Total liabilities and stockholders' equity||$||550,414||$||423,931|
|Abiomed, Inc. and Subsidiaries|
|Consolidated Statements of Operations|
|(in thousands, except per share data)|
Three Months Ended
Fiscal Years Ended
|Funded research and development||26||6||109||23|
|Costs and expenses:|
|Cost of product revenue||19,261||14,663||70,627||50,419|
|Research and development||16,325||14,225||66,386||49,759|
|Selling, general and administrative||60,100||45,256||218,153||164,261|
|Income from operations||28,994||19,813||90,138||65,104|
|Investment income, net||486||186||1,554||395|
|Other (expense) income, net||(124||)||228||(349||)||339|
|Income before income taxes||29,356||20,227||91,343||65,838|
|Income tax provision||14,457||9,229||39,227||27,691|
|Basic net income per share||$||0.34||$||0.26||$||1.21||$||0.90|
|Basic weighted average shares outstanding||43,579||42,463||43,238||42,204|
|Diluted net income per share||$||0.33||$||0.24||$||1.17||$||0.85|
|Diluted weighted average shares outstanding||44,924||45,112||44,658||44,895|
For further information please contact:
Director, Investor Relations
Senior Director, Public Relations and Corporate Communications
The issuer of this announcement warrants that they are solely responsible for the content, accuracy and originality of the information contained therein.
Source: Abiomed via Globenewswire
Följ NASDAQ OMX
Skriv in din e-postadress så får du ett mejl när vi har något nytt att berätta.
Senaste nyheterna från NASDAQ OMX
Oxford Immunotec Appoints Richard Wenstrup, MD, as Chief Medical Officer24.7.2017 15:00 | Pressmeddelande
OXFORD, United Kingdom and MARLBOROUGH, Mass., July 24, 2017 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Oxford Immunotec Global PLC (Nasdaq:OXFD), a global, high-growth diagnostics company focused on developing and commercializing proprietary tests for the management of underserved immune-regulated conditions, today announced the appointment of Richard Wenstrup, MD, as Chief Medical Officer. Dr. Wenstrup brings to Oxford Immunotec more than 20 years of clinical leadership experience, including over a decade within the diagnostics industry. Most recently, Dr. Wenstrup served as Executive Vice President, Chief Medical Officer, for Myriad Genetics, Inc., where he played a key leadership role and made substantial contributions across the company that helped drive and support a multi-fold increase in revenue over a decade. In addition to building and leading Myriad's clinical and medical affairs teams, Dr. Wenstrup was actively involved in the company's product development, M&A, and in-licensing activi
Minerva Neurosciences Announces Departure of Directors24.7.2017 14:30 | Pressmeddelande
WALTHAM, Mass., July 24, 2017 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Minerva Neurosciences, Inc. (NASDAQ:NERV), a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company focused on the development of therapies to treat central nervous system disorders, today announced the resignation of two members of its board of directors, Michele Ollier and Nico Vandervelpen. Following the Company's recent public offering and the resultant improvement in its financial position, Dr. Ollier and Mr. Vandervelpen will step down to focus on their private equity activities. Their resignations are effective today. "We would like to thank Michele and Nico for their invaluable contributions to Minerva as a private company and as it has transitioned during the past three years from a venture capital-backed company to a publicly traded company that has advanced several assets into late-stage clinical development," said Marc Beer, chairman of Minerva. About Minerva Neurosciences
French Energy Operator GRDF Enlists Appian's Low-code Platform for Enterprise-wide Deployment24.7.2017 14:00 | Pressmeddelande
RESTON, Va., July 24, 2017 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Appian (NASDAQ:APPN) today announces that leading French gas distributor GRDF will deploy its latest enterprise application developed on Appian's low-code platform. The new application is designed to manage the extension of gas distribution networks in France, and will be deployed to more than 2,500 users across GRDF. This marks GRDF's fifth major application deployed on the Appian Platform. GRDF is already benefitting from Appian's low-code applications, which enhance the customer experience and transform traditional business methods to more efficient and agile processes. Appian provides GRDF with the speed needed to capitalize on opportunities that the digital world presents, as well as the power to streamline complex business processes. Jean-Marc Wojtecki, Deputy CIO at GRDF, commented: "We solidly believe in the power of low-code for building new applications quickly. Appian allows us to innovate more effici
Placetel is named as a leading UC solution in Germany by ISG Experton Group24.7.2017 10:00 | Pressmeddelande
Placetel, Powered by BroadSoft, named as a leader in the "ISG Provider Lens Germany 2017 - Cloud Transformation / Operation Services & XaaS" Study recognizes broad functional spectrum and strong focus on SMEs Operation of data centers in Germany is acknowledged as a further advantage COLOGNE, Germany, July 24, 2017 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Placetel, a cloud PBX service from BroadSoft Germany GmbH, has been named by ISG/Experton Group, a leading fully integrated research, advisory and consulting company, as one of the best cloud-based solutions for Unified Communications as a Service (UCaaS) in Germany. ISG/Experton Group positioned Placetel, powered by BroadSoft, in the leadership quadrant in its provider comparison "ISG Provider Lens Germany 2017 - Cloud Transformation / Operation Services & XaaS". An infographic accompanying this announcement is available at http://www.globenewswire.com/NewsRoom/Attach
Gaining Momentum: Vricon Hires Barry Tilton as CTO and VP of Engineering21.7.2017 15:21 | Pressmeddelande
McLean, Virginia, July 20, 2017 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Vricon, a global leader in 3D imagery, is pleased to announce the addition of Barry Tilton, who will join Vricon Systems LLC as the Vice President of Engineering and CTO for U.S. Government Programs. Vricon's mission is to build The Globe in 3D by producing photorealistic 3D products and digital elevation models with unmatched coverage and delivery timelines. Tilton will spearhead efforts to create new content and improve response times and product quality for Vricon's customers. Tilton brings a unique and extensive background in the Defense and Intelligence communities, having worked in remote sensing systems design and user support for a range of customers, to include the Air Force Space program, the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency, the National Reconnaissance Office, the Office of the Director of Intelligence, and the Under Secretary of Defense for Intelligence. Tilton also has experience in international technic
REG Celebrates Completion of Upgrade Project at Emden Biorefinery20.7.2017 19:46 | Pressmeddelande
EMDEN, Germany, July 20, 2017 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Renewable Energy Group, Inc. (NASDAQ:REGI) marked the completion of upgrades at its Emden, Germany biorefinery Wednesday with a ribbon cutting ceremony with government and community members. REG invested 2.5 million € for the installation of a new biodiesel distillation column and a thermal oil heater. "This investment is another milestone in REG's European strategy to be a leader in delivering high quality biofuels," said Jean Scemama, Vice President, REG Energy Europe. "Within this strategy, Emden is positioned to perform well with deep water access to receive and deliver products by vessel and can now meet or exceed the highest quality standards required by our customers." "This project is a result of teamwork across REG's teams in Europe and the U.S." said Brad Albin, Vice President, Manufacturing. "Upgrading Emden's distillation capability enables us to more effe
I vårt nyhetsrum kan du läsa de senaste nyheterna, få tillgång till pressmaterial och hitta kontaktinformation.Besök vårt nyhetsrum