Abiomed Announces Q4 FY 2017 Revenue of $124.7 Million, Up 33% Over Prior Year and Total Year Revenue of $445.3 Million, Up 35% Over Prior Year
4.5.2017 13:00 | NASDAQ OMX
DANVERS, Mass., May 04, 2017 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Abiomed, Inc. (NASDAQ:ABMD), a leading provider of breakthrough heart support technologies, today reported fourth quarter fiscal 2017 revenue of $124.7 million, an increase of 33% compared to revenue of $94.0 million for the same period of fiscal 2016. For fiscal year 2017, total revenue was $445.3 million, up 35% compared to revenue of $329.5 million in fiscal year 2016.
Fourth quarter fiscal 2017 GAAP net income was $14.9 million or $0.33 per diluted share, impacted by $3.1 million or $0.07 per diluted share of one-time items, described below. For the full fiscal year, GAAP net income was $52.1 million or $1.17 per diluted share.
Financial and operating highlights during the fourth quarter of fiscal 2017 include:
- Fiscal fourth quarter worldwide Impella® heart pump revenue totaled $118.9 million, an increase of 34% compared to revenue of $88.6 million during
- U.S. Impella heart pump revenue for the quarter grew 32% to $108.2 million from $81.8 million in the prior fiscal year with U.S. patient usage of the Impella heart pumps up 30%. Full year U.S. Impella revenue totaled $387.5 million, up 35% compared to $287.2 million in the prior fiscal year.
- The installed base for Impella 2.5® heart pumps in the U.S. grew by an additional 19 hospitals, which made initial purchases of Impella heart pumps, bringing the installed customer base to 1,138 sites. The installed customer base for Impella CP® heart pumps grew by 44 new U.S. hospitals, bringing the total number of Impella CP sites to 1,016. The installed customer base for Impella 5.0® heart pumps grew by 11 new U.S. hospitals, bringing the total number of Impella 5.0 sites to 453.
- An additional 7 sites made initial purchases of Impella RP® heart pumps during the quarter, bringing the total number of sites to 127.
- Gross margin for fiscal fourth quarter 2017 was 84.6% compared to 84.4% in the fourth quarter of fiscal 2016. For the full fiscal year, gross margin was 84.1% compared to 84.7% in the prior year.
- Operating income for the fourth quarter of fiscal 2017 was $29.0 million, or 23.3% operating margin, compared to $19.8 million, or 21.1% operating margin in the prior year period. For the full fiscal year, operating income was $90.1 million, or 20.2% of revenue, compared to $65.1 million, or 19.8% of revenue in the prior year.
- The Company generated $18.2 million in cash, cash equivalents and marketable securities in the fourth quarter of fiscal 2017, bringing the total to $277.1 million as of March 31, 2017. The Company currently has no debt.
- Fourth quarter fiscal 2017 GAAP net income was $14.9 million or $0.33 per diluted share and full fiscal year GAAP net income was $52.1 million or $1.17 per diluted share. This compares to GAAP net income for the fourth quarter of fiscal 2016 of $11.0 million or $0.24 per diluted share and full fiscal year GAAP net income of $38.1 million or $0.85 per diluted share. During the fourth quarter of fiscal 2017, the Company recorded a non-recurring income tax charge of $3.1 million, or $0.07 per diluted share, related to uncertainty about the utilization of research and development tax credits.
- Beginning in the first quarter of fiscal 2018, the Company will adopt a new accounting standard entitled "Improvements to Employee Share-Based Payment Accounting". Under this new standard, excess tax benefits and deficiencies associated with employee share-based payments will no longer be recognized as additional paid-in capital on the balance sheet, but instead will be recognized directly to income tax expense or benefit in the income statement for the reporting period in which they occur. The adoption of the new accounting standard is likely to introduce positive fluctuations to net income, our tax provision and earnings per share this year, but will not impact Abiomed's operating income or cash tax paid.
- On February 23, 2017, Abiomed announced that it has supported more than 50,000 patients in the U.S. with its Impella® heart pumps.
- On March 19, 2017 at the American College of Cardiology (ACC) 66th Annual Scientific Session in Washington, D.C, Abiomed announced and presented data from the Impella® Quality (IQ) Assurance Program, which includes the IQ Database and cVAD RegistryTM. The Abiomed IQ Assurance Program is a real-world collection of clinical information derived from the treatment of patients with Impella devices since 2008. Trends in the observational IQ Database, combined with information from Abiomed's Institutional Review Board (IRB)-approved cVAD Registry have helped identify best practices and protocols that are associated with improved survival and native heart recovery in hospitals using Impella devices. The data presented also included new data from the Detroit Cardiogenic Shock Initiative (DCSI), which is an unprecedented collaboration between five heart hospitals in Detroit focused on systematic best practices to increase cardiogenic shock survival rates.
- On March 30, 2017, Abiomed announced the Grand Opening of Newly-Expanded manufacturing and training space at Danvers, Massachusetts headquarters.
- Today, Abiomed announced in a separate press release, the first patient enrolled in the STEMI Door to Unloading (DTU) feasibility study.
"Abiomed remains one of the fastest growing GAAP profitable companies and fiscal 2017 was another successful year as we achieved our corporate goals with two FDA approvals, approval in Japan, and dedicated DRGs from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS)," said Michael R. Minogue, Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer, Abiomed. "We want to thank our shareholders for their support and all of our employees and customers for their hard work and dedication to patients and our mission of heart recovery."
FISCAL YEAR 2018 OUTLOOK
The Company is giving its fiscal year 2018 guidance for total revenues to be in the range of $555 million to $575 million, an increase of 25% - 29% over the prior year. The Company is also giving its fiscal year 2018 guidance for GAAP operating margin to be in the range of 22% to 24%.
EARNINGS CONFERENCE CALL DETAILS
The Company will host a conference call to discuss the results at 8 a.m. ET on Thursday, May 4, 2017. The conference call releasing full quarterly results will be hosted by Michael R. Minogue, Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer and Michael Tomsicek, Vice President and Chief Financial Officer.
To listen to the call live, please tune into the webcast via http://investor.abiomed.com or dial (855) 212-2361; the international number is (678) 809-1538. A replay of this conference call will be available beginning at 11 a.m. EDT May 4, 2017 through 11:00 a.m. EDT on May 7, 2017. The replay phone number is (855) 859-2056; the international number is (404) 537-3406. The replay access code is 3991529.
The ABIOMED logo, ABIOMED, Impella, Impella 2.5, Impella CP, Impella 5.0, Impella RP, and Recovering Hearts. Saving Lives. are registered trademarks of ABIOMED, Inc. in the U.S. and in certain foreign countries. cVAD Registry is a trademark of ABIOMED, Inc.
Based in Danvers, Massachusetts, Abiomed, Inc. is a leading provider of medical devices that provide circulatory support. Our products are designed to enable the heart to rest by improving blood flow and/or performing the pumping of the heart. For additional information, please visit: www.abiomed.com
This release contains forward-looking statements, including statements regarding development of Abiomed's existing and new products, the Company's progress toward commercial growth, and future opportunities and expected regulatory approvals. The Company's actual results may differ materially from those anticipated in these forward-looking statements based upon a number of factors, including uncertainties associated with development, testing and related regulatory approvals, including the potential for future losses, complex manufacturing, high quality requirements, dependence on limited sources of supply, competition, technological change, government regulation, litigation matters, future capital needs and uncertainty of additional financing, and other risks and challenges detailed in the Company's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including the most recently filed Annual Report on Form 10-K and Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q. Readers are cautioned not to place undue reliance on any forward-looking statements, which speak only as of the date of this release. The Company undertakes no obligation to publicly release the results of any revisions to these forward-looking statements that may be made to reflect events or circumstances that occur after the date of this release or to reflect the occurrence of unanticipated events.
|Abiomed, Inc. and Subsidiaries|
|Consolidated Balance Sheets|
|(in thousands, except share data)|
|March 31, 2017||March 31, 2016|
|Cash and cash equivalents||$||39,040||$||48,231|
|Short-term marketable securities||190,908||163,822|
|Accounts receivable, net||54,055||42,821|
|Prepaid expenses and other current assets||8,024||6,778|
|Total current assets||326,958||288,392|
|Long-term marketable securities||47,143||1,000|
|Property and equipment, net||87,777||23,184|
|In-process research and development||14,482||15,396|
|Long-term deferred tax assets, net||34,723||58,534|
|LIABILITIES AND STOCKHOLDERS' EQUITY|
|Current portion of capital lease obligation||799||-|
|Total current liabilities||69,617||46,541|
|Other long-term liabilities||3,251||220|
|Long-term deferred tax liabilities||783||832|
|Capital lease obligation, net of current portion||15,539||-|
|Commitments and contingencies|
|Class B Preferred Stock, $.01 par value||-||-|
|Authorized - 1,000,000 shares; Issued and outstanding - none|
|Common stock, $.01 par value||437||426|
|Authorized - 100,000,000 shares; Issued - 45,249,281 shares at March 31, 2017 and 43,973,119 shares at March 31, 2016;|
|Outstanding - 43,673,286 shares at March 31, 2017 and 42,596,228 shares at March 31, 2016|
|Additional paid in capital||565,962||508,624|
|Treasury stock at cost - 1,575,995 shares at March 31, 2017 and 1,376,891 shares at March 31, 2016||(46,763||)||(26,660||)|
|Accumulated other comprehensive loss||(20,606||)||(14,540||)|
|Total stockholders' equity||452,071||368,775|
|Total liabilities and stockholders' equity||$||550,414||$||423,931|
|Abiomed, Inc. and Subsidiaries|
|Consolidated Statements of Operations|
|(in thousands, except per share data)|
Three Months Ended
Fiscal Years Ended
|Funded research and development||26||6||109||23|
|Costs and expenses:|
|Cost of product revenue||19,261||14,663||70,627||50,419|
|Research and development||16,325||14,225||66,386||49,759|
|Selling, general and administrative||60,100||45,256||218,153||164,261|
|Income from operations||28,994||19,813||90,138||65,104|
|Investment income, net||486||186||1,554||395|
|Other (expense) income, net||(124||)||228||(349||)||339|
|Income before income taxes||29,356||20,227||91,343||65,838|
|Income tax provision||14,457||9,229||39,227||27,691|
|Basic net income per share||$||0.34||$||0.26||$||1.21||$||0.90|
|Basic weighted average shares outstanding||43,579||42,463||43,238||42,204|
|Diluted net income per share||$||0.33||$||0.24||$||1.17||$||0.85|
|Diluted weighted average shares outstanding||44,924||45,112||44,658||44,895|
For further information please contact:
Director, Investor Relations
Senior Director, Public Relations and Corporate Communications
The issuer of this announcement warrants that they are solely responsible for the content, accuracy and originality of the information contained therein.
Source: Abiomed via Globenewswire
Följ NASDAQ OMX
Skriv in din e-postadress så får du ett mejl när vi har något nytt att berätta.
Senaste nyheterna från NASDAQ OMX
TGS and PGS Announce Fourth 3D Seismic Project Offshore Eastern Canada26.5.2017 07:50
ASKER, Norway, May 26, 2017 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- TGS and Petroleum Geo-Services ("PGS") announce the fourth 3D seismic project offshore Eastern Canada for 2017. Long Range 3D will comprise approximately 9,100 km2 of 3D GeoStreamer® data in the Eastern Newfoundland region. The survey covers open acreage which will be included in the November 2018 licensing round under Newfoundland and Labrador's Scheduled Land Tenure system. Following completion of these surveys, the jointly-owned library will have more than 175,000 km of 2D GeoStreamer data and 28,500 km2 of 3D GeoStreamer data. An expansive well log library is also available in the region, along with advanced multi-client interpretation products that will improve play, trend and prospect delineation. "With four 3D projects now committed for 2017 this will be our most active year ever in Newfoundland and Labrador. E&P companies are continuing to prioritize this region in their exploration strat
Mandalay Resources Corporation går ut med slutförande av reviderat Återköpserbjudande och begäran om medgivande gällande 5,875 % säkerställda utbytbara skuldebrev25.5.2017 13:46
TORONTO 24 maj 2017 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Mandalay Resources Corporation ("Mandalay" eller "Bolaget") (TSX:MND) meddelade idag att Gold Exchange Limited ("GEL"), ett självständigt företag för särskilda ändamål som är registrerat i Jersey, har ingått avtal gällande ett reviderat återköpserbjudande ("Återköpet") och en begäran om medgivande ("Begäran om medgivande") för sitt kapitalbelopp på 60 000 000 USD, 5,875 % säkerställda utbytbara skuldebrev som löper ut 2019 ("Skuldebreven"). GEL gav ut Skuldebreven 2014 och lånade ut inkomsterna till ett av Bolagets dotterbolag i enlighet med villkoren för låneavtalet och relaterad finansieringsöverenskommelse ("Lånet") som tillsammans speglar de huvudsakliga villkoren för Skuldebreven. Som angivet i Mandalays pressmeddelande från den 12 maj 2017, slutfördes inte det ursprungliga återköpserbjudandet och begäran om medgivande som GEL lanserade gällande Skuldebreven
Karolinska Development's Annual General Meeting 201724.5.2017 20:00
STOCKHOLM - May 24, 2017. At the Annual General Meeting of Karolinska Development AB held May 24, 2017, the following resolutions were passed: Profit and loss statement and the balance sheet: It was resolved to adopt the profit and loss statement and the balance sheet and the consolidated profit and loss statement and the consolidated balance sheet. Appropriation of the company's result: It was resolved to approve the allocation of the result, proposed by the board and the CEO, in total SEK -12 406 768 be allocated as follows: To be carried forward SEK -12 406 768. Discharge from liability of the directors and the CEO: It was resolved to grant the directors and the CEO discharge from liability for the financial year 2016. Resolution regarding the number of directors and auditors and deputy auditors to be appointed: It was resolved that the number of directors shall be seven without deputies and that the number
Karolinska Developments årsstämma 201724.5.2017 20:00
STOCKHOLM den 24 maj 2017. Vid Karolinska Developments årsstämma som hölls den 24 maj 2017 beslutade aktieägarna, följande: Redovisning: beslutades att fastställa av resultaträkning och balansräkning samt koncernresultaträkning och koncernbalansräkning. Resultatdisposition: beslöts att godkänna styrelsens och verkställande direktörens förslag att till årsstämmans förfogande stående medel, sammanlagt SEK -12 406 768, disponeras enligt följande: SEK -12 406 768 balanseras i ny räkning. Ansvarsfrihet för styrelsens ledamöter och VD: beslöts att bevilja styrelsen och verkställande direktören ansvarsfrihet för verksamhetsåret 2016. Fastställande av antalet styrelseledamöter samt revisorer och revisorssuppleanter: Beslöts att antalet ledamöter i styrelsen skall vara sju utan suppleanter samt att antalet revisorer skall vara en utan suppleanter. Fastställande av arvoden till styrelsen och revisorerna: bes
Nasdaq to Deliver Post-Trade Technology to Depósito Central de Valores (DCV)24.5.2017 15:00
The Chilean central securities depository (CSD) will boost its infrastructure capabilities and increase efficiencies with fully-fledged CSD solution based on the Nasdaq Financial Framework NEW YORK and SANTIAGO, Chile, May 24, 2017 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Nasdaq, Inc. (Nasdaq:NDAQ) and Depósito Central de Valores (DCV) today announced a new landmark agreement to bolster the technological infrastructure of Chile's central securities depository (CSD). "We are very satisfied with our thorough, year-long vendor partnership process in selecting the Nasdaq platform, which will replace the core system of the DCV," said Fernando Yáñez, CEO of DCV. "We believe with the implementation of this new system, we will have more opportunities for growth and diversification in our current services, as well as strengthening our day-to-day operations." Under the agreement with DCV, Nasdaq will deliver its CSD Solution, which will allow for:
Mandalay Resources Corporation Announces Completion of Revised Repurchase Offer and Consent Solicitation in Respect of 5.875% Secured Exchangeable Bonds24.5.2017 14:11
TORONTO, May 24, 2017 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Mandalay Resources Corporation ("Mandalay" or the "Company") (TSX:MND) announced today that Gold Exchange Limited ("GEL"), an unaffiliated special purpose vehicle incorporated in Jersey, has entered into agreements with respect to a revised repurchase offer (the "Repurchase") and consent solicitation (the "Consent Solicitation") in respect of its U.S.$60,000,000 principal amount 5.875% secured exchangeable bonds due 2019 (the "Bonds"). GEL issued the Bonds in 2014 and loaned the proceeds to a subsidiary of the Company pursuant to the terms of a loan agreement and related funding agreement (the "Loan") which together mirror the principal terms of the Bonds. As indicated in Mandalay's press release of May 12, 2017, the original repurchase offer and consent solicitation that GEL launched in respect of the Bonds on April 19, 2017 (the "Original Proposed
I vårt nyhetsrum kan du läsa de senaste nyheterna, få tillgång till pressmaterial och hitta kontaktinformation.Besök vårt nyhetsrum