Abiomed Announces Q4 FY 2017 Revenue of $124.7 Million, Up 33% Over Prior Year and Total Year Revenue of $445.3 Million, Up 35% Over Prior Year
DANVERS, Mass., May 04, 2017 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Abiomed, Inc. (NASDAQ:ABMD), a leading provider of breakthrough heart support technologies, today reported fourth quarter fiscal 2017 revenue of $124.7 million, an increase of 33% compared to revenue of $94.0 million for the same period of fiscal 2016. For fiscal year 2017, total revenue was $445.3 million, up 35% compared to revenue of $329.5 million in fiscal year 2016.
Fourth quarter fiscal 2017 GAAP net income was $14.9 million or $0.33 per diluted share, impacted by $3.1 million or $0.07 per diluted share of one-time items, described below. For the full fiscal year, GAAP net income was $52.1 million or $1.17 per diluted share.
Financial and operating highlights during the fourth quarter of fiscal 2017 include:
- Fiscal fourth quarter worldwide Impella® heart pump revenue totaled $118.9 million, an increase of 34% compared to revenue of $88.6 million during
- U.S. Impella heart pump revenue for the quarter grew 32% to $108.2 million from $81.8 million in the prior fiscal year with U.S. patient usage of the Impella heart pumps up 30%. Full year U.S. Impella revenue totaled $387.5 million, up 35% compared to $287.2 million in the prior fiscal year.
- The installed base for Impella 2.5® heart pumps in the U.S. grew by an additional 19 hospitals, which made initial purchases of Impella heart pumps, bringing the installed customer base to 1,138 sites. The installed customer base for Impella CP® heart pumps grew by 44 new U.S. hospitals, bringing the total number of Impella CP sites to 1,016. The installed customer base for Impella 5.0® heart pumps grew by 11 new U.S. hospitals, bringing the total number of Impella 5.0 sites to 453.
- An additional 7 sites made initial purchases of Impella RP® heart pumps during the quarter, bringing the total number of sites to 127.
- Gross margin for fiscal fourth quarter 2017 was 84.6% compared to 84.4% in the fourth quarter of fiscal 2016. For the full fiscal year, gross margin was 84.1% compared to 84.7% in the prior year.
- Operating income for the fourth quarter of fiscal 2017 was $29.0 million, or 23.3% operating margin, compared to $19.8 million, or 21.1% operating margin in the prior year period. For the full fiscal year, operating income was $90.1 million, or 20.2% of revenue, compared to $65.1 million, or 19.8% of revenue in the prior year.
- The Company generated $18.2 million in cash, cash equivalents and marketable securities in the fourth quarter of fiscal 2017, bringing the total to $277.1 million as of March 31, 2017. The Company currently has no debt.
- Fourth quarter fiscal 2017 GAAP net income was $14.9 million or $0.33 per diluted share and full fiscal year GAAP net income was $52.1 million or $1.17 per diluted share. This compares to GAAP net income for the fourth quarter of fiscal 2016 of $11.0 million or $0.24 per diluted share and full fiscal year GAAP net income of $38.1 million or $0.85 per diluted share. During the fourth quarter of fiscal 2017, the Company recorded a non-recurring income tax charge of $3.1 million, or $0.07 per diluted share, related to uncertainty about the utilization of research and development tax credits.
- Beginning in the first quarter of fiscal 2018, the Company will adopt a new accounting standard entitled "Improvements to Employee Share-Based Payment Accounting". Under this new standard, excess tax benefits and deficiencies associated with employee share-based payments will no longer be recognized as additional paid-in capital on the balance sheet, but instead will be recognized directly to income tax expense or benefit in the income statement for the reporting period in which they occur. The adoption of the new accounting standard is likely to introduce positive fluctuations to net income, our tax provision and earnings per share this year, but will not impact Abiomed's operating income or cash tax paid.
- On February 23, 2017, Abiomed announced that it has supported more than 50,000 patients in the U.S. with its Impella® heart pumps.
- On March 19, 2017 at the American College of Cardiology (ACC) 66th Annual Scientific Session in Washington, D.C, Abiomed announced and presented data from the Impella® Quality (IQ) Assurance Program, which includes the IQ Database and cVAD RegistryTM. The Abiomed IQ Assurance Program is a real-world collection of clinical information derived from the treatment of patients with Impella devices since 2008. Trends in the observational IQ Database, combined with information from Abiomed's Institutional Review Board (IRB)-approved cVAD Registry have helped identify best practices and protocols that are associated with improved survival and native heart recovery in hospitals using Impella devices. The data presented also included new data from the Detroit Cardiogenic Shock Initiative (DCSI), which is an unprecedented collaboration between five heart hospitals in Detroit focused on systematic best practices to increase cardiogenic shock survival rates.
- On March 30, 2017, Abiomed announced the Grand Opening of Newly-Expanded manufacturing and training space at Danvers, Massachusetts headquarters.
- Today, Abiomed announced in a separate press release, the first patient enrolled in the STEMI Door to Unloading (DTU) feasibility study.
"Abiomed remains one of the fastest growing GAAP profitable companies and fiscal 2017 was another successful year as we achieved our corporate goals with two FDA approvals, approval in Japan, and dedicated DRGs from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS)," said Michael R. Minogue, Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer, Abiomed. "We want to thank our shareholders for their support and all of our employees and customers for their hard work and dedication to patients and our mission of heart recovery."
FISCAL YEAR 2018 OUTLOOK
The Company is giving its fiscal year 2018 guidance for total revenues to be in the range of $555 million to $575 million, an increase of 25% - 29% over the prior year. The Company is also giving its fiscal year 2018 guidance for GAAP operating margin to be in the range of 22% to 24%.
EARNINGS CONFERENCE CALL DETAILS
The Company will host a conference call to discuss the results at 8 a.m. ET on Thursday, May 4, 2017. The conference call releasing full quarterly results will be hosted by Michael R. Minogue, Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer and Michael Tomsicek, Vice President and Chief Financial Officer.
To listen to the call live, please tune into the webcast via http://investor.abiomed.com or dial (855) 212-2361; the international number is (678) 809-1538. A replay of this conference call will be available beginning at 11 a.m. EDT May 4, 2017 through 11:00 a.m. EDT on May 7, 2017. The replay phone number is (855) 859-2056; the international number is (404) 537-3406. The replay access code is 3991529.
The ABIOMED logo, ABIOMED, Impella, Impella 2.5, Impella CP, Impella 5.0, Impella RP, and Recovering Hearts. Saving Lives. are registered trademarks of ABIOMED, Inc. in the U.S. and in certain foreign countries. cVAD Registry is a trademark of ABIOMED, Inc.
Based in Danvers, Massachusetts, Abiomed, Inc. is a leading provider of medical devices that provide circulatory support. Our products are designed to enable the heart to rest by improving blood flow and/or performing the pumping of the heart. For additional information, please visit: www.abiomed.com
This release contains forward-looking statements, including statements regarding development of Abiomed's existing and new products, the Company's progress toward commercial growth, and future opportunities and expected regulatory approvals. The Company's actual results may differ materially from those anticipated in these forward-looking statements based upon a number of factors, including uncertainties associated with development, testing and related regulatory approvals, including the potential for future losses, complex manufacturing, high quality requirements, dependence on limited sources of supply, competition, technological change, government regulation, litigation matters, future capital needs and uncertainty of additional financing, and other risks and challenges detailed in the Company's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including the most recently filed Annual Report on Form 10-K and Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q. Readers are cautioned not to place undue reliance on any forward-looking statements, which speak only as of the date of this release. The Company undertakes no obligation to publicly release the results of any revisions to these forward-looking statements that may be made to reflect events or circumstances that occur after the date of this release or to reflect the occurrence of unanticipated events.
|Abiomed, Inc. and Subsidiaries|
|Consolidated Balance Sheets|
|(in thousands, except share data)|
|March 31, 2017||March 31, 2016|
|Cash and cash equivalents||$||39,040||$||48,231|
|Short-term marketable securities||190,908||163,822|
|Accounts receivable, net||54,055||42,821|
|Prepaid expenses and other current assets||8,024||6,778|
|Total current assets||326,958||288,392|
|Long-term marketable securities||47,143||1,000|
|Property and equipment, net||87,777||23,184|
|In-process research and development||14,482||15,396|
|Long-term deferred tax assets, net||34,723||58,534|
|LIABILITIES AND STOCKHOLDERS' EQUITY|
|Current portion of capital lease obligation||799||-|
|Total current liabilities||69,617||46,541|
|Other long-term liabilities||3,251||220|
|Long-term deferred tax liabilities||783||832|
|Capital lease obligation, net of current portion||15,539||-|
|Commitments and contingencies|
|Class B Preferred Stock, $.01 par value||-||-|
|Authorized - 1,000,000 shares; Issued and outstanding - none|
|Common stock, $.01 par value||437||426|
|Authorized - 100,000,000 shares; Issued - 45,249,281 shares at March 31, 2017 and 43,973,119 shares at March 31, 2016;|
|Outstanding - 43,673,286 shares at March 31, 2017 and 42,596,228 shares at March 31, 2016|
|Additional paid in capital||565,962||508,624|
|Treasury stock at cost - 1,575,995 shares at March 31, 2017 and 1,376,891 shares at March 31, 2016||(46,763||)||(26,660||)|
|Accumulated other comprehensive loss||(20,606||)||(14,540||)|
|Total stockholders' equity||452,071||368,775|
|Total liabilities and stockholders' equity||$||550,414||$||423,931|
|Abiomed, Inc. and Subsidiaries|
|Consolidated Statements of Operations|
|(in thousands, except per share data)|
Three Months Ended
Fiscal Years Ended
|Funded research and development||26||6||109||23|
|Costs and expenses:|
|Cost of product revenue||19,261||14,663||70,627||50,419|
|Research and development||16,325||14,225||66,386||49,759|
|Selling, general and administrative||60,100||45,256||218,153||164,261|
|Income from operations||28,994||19,813||90,138||65,104|
|Investment income, net||486||186||1,554||395|
|Other (expense) income, net||(124||)||228||(349||)||339|
|Income before income taxes||29,356||20,227||91,343||65,838|
|Income tax provision||14,457||9,229||39,227||27,691|
|Basic net income per share||$||0.34||$||0.26||$||1.21||$||0.90|
|Basic weighted average shares outstanding||43,579||42,463||43,238||42,204|
|Diluted net income per share||$||0.33||$||0.24||$||1.17||$||0.85|
|Diluted weighted average shares outstanding||44,924||45,112||44,658||44,895|
For further information please contact:
Director, Investor Relations
Senior Director, Public Relations and Corporate Communications
The issuer of this announcement warrants that they are solely responsible for the content, accuracy and originality of the information contained therein.
Source: Abiomed via Globenewswire
Följ NASDAQ OMX
Abonnera på våra pressmeddelanden.
Senaste pressmeddelandena från NASDAQ OMX
BIMobject AB: Kallelse till extra bolagsstämma den 5 september 2018. Patrick Söderlund och Hjalmar Winbladh föreslås som nya styrelseledamöter i BIMobject AB. Split 2:1 föreslås.15.8.2018 15:30 | Pressmeddelande
Aktieägare representerande cirka 49 procent av rösterna i BIMobject AB har meddelat att de föreslår att Hjalmar Winbladh och Patrick Söderlund väljs till nya styrelseledamöter vid en extra bolagsstämma onsdagen den 5 september 2018. Ben O'Donnell lämnar sitt uppdrag som styrelseledamot i samband med den extra bolagsstämman. Styrelsen kommer därefter att bestå av Stefan Larsson (VD), Anders Wilhjelm (ordförande), Johannes Reischböck, Philippe Butty, Hjalmar Winbladh och Patrick Söderlund. Vidare föreslås ändrad ersättning till styrelsen. Nytt arvode utgår med 800 000 kronor, fördelat mellan styrelseordförande och Söderlund om 400 000 kronor vardera. Styrelsen föreslår även att stämman beslutar om aktieuppdelning av befintliga utestående aktier i förhållande 2:1. Patrick Söderlund, född 1973 och svensk medborgare, är Chief Design Officer samt Executive Vice President på Electronic Arts. I denna roll leder han utvecklingen av bolagets tekniska innovationer och bolagets marknadsföringsteam
BIMobject AB: Notice to attend Extraordinary General Meeting on September 5, 2018. Patrick Söderlund and Hjalmar Winbladh proposed as new Board Members in BIMobject AB. A split 2:1 is proposed.15.8.2018 15:30 | Pressmeddelande
Shareholders representing approximately 49 percent of the votes in BIMobject AB have announced that they propose that Hjalmar Winbladh and Patrick Söderlund are appointed new Board Members at an Extraordinary General Meeting to be held on Wednesday September 5, 2018. Ben O'Donnell resigns as Board Member in connection with the Extraordinary General Meeting. The Board will thereafter be composed of Stefan Larsson (CEO), Anders Wilhjelm (Chairman), Johannes Reischböck, Philippe Butty, Hjalmar Winbladh and Patrick Söderlund. Furthermore, a change in remuneration to the Board is proposed. The new Board fee totals SEK 800,000 and is to be divided between the Chairman and Söderlund with SEK 400,000 each. The board also proposes that the General Meeting resolves to split the company's shares 2:1. Patrick Söderlund, born in 1973 and a Swedish citizen, is Chief Design Officer and Executive Vice President at Electronic Arts. In his present role he manages the development of technology innovation
BIMobject AB: Offentliggörande av delårsrapport april - juni 201815.8.2018 08:00 | Pressmeddelande
Den fullständiga rapporten finns även tillgänglig på bolagets hemsida (info.bimobject.com). Andra kvartalet 2018 Faktureringen ökade med 83 procent och uppgick till 33 MSEK (18). Koncernens nettoomsättning ökade med 75 procent och uppgick till 28 MSEK (16). Fördelning mellan projekt och webservices (prenumerationer) var 40/60 procent (60/40). Bruttomarginalen ökade till 86 procent (81). Koncernens rörelseresultat förbättrades och uppgick till -15 MSEK (-17). Resultat per aktie uppgick till -0,29 SEK (-0,31) före utspädning. Kassaflödet från löpande verksamheten uppgick till -18 MSEK (-15). Ackumulerat antal användare ökade och uppgick till cirka 845 000. Ackumulerat antal nedladdningar uppgick till 25,5 miljoner. Antalet tillverkare uppgick till 1230. Styrelsen beslutade att påbörja processen för notering av bolaget vid Nasdaq Stockholm. Viktiga händelser andra kvartalet BIMobject ingår samarbete med Pipe Retail Solution för att effektivisera digital butiksplanering. BIMobject tecknar
BIMobject AB: Interim Report April - June 201815.8.2018 08:00 | Pressmeddelande
Second quarter 2018 Billing increased by 83 percent to SEK 33 (18) million. The Group's net sales increased by 75 percent to SEK 28 (16) million. The distribution between projects and web services (subscriptions) was 40/60 (60/40) percent. The gross margin increased to 86 (81) percent. The Group's operating profit improved to SEK -15 (-17) million. Basic earnings per share amounted to SEK -0.29 (-0.31). Cash flow from operating activities was SEK -18 (-15) million. The accumulated number of users increased to approximately 845,000. The accumulated number of downloads amounted to 25.5 million. The number of manufacturers was 1,230. The Board decided to initiate the process of listing the Company on Nasdaq Stockholm. Significant events during the second quarter BIMobject forms strategic partnership with Pipe Retail Solution to streamline digital planning of retail spaces. BIMobject signs Letter of Intent with leading US 3D media company Matterport. CEO's comments EQT Ventures' investment
Immunicum AB (publ) to Present Preclinical Data on Ilixadencel in Combination with CPIs and Immune Enhancers at ESMO 2018 Congress13.8.2018 08:00 | Pressmeddelande
Press Release 13 August 2018 Immunicum AB (publ) to Present Preclinical Data on Ilixadencel in Combination with CPIs and Immune Enhancers at ESMO 2018 Congress Immunicum AB (publ; IMMU.ST) announced today that the company will present a poster on its lead development candidate, ilixadencel, at the European Society for Medical Oncology (ESMO) 2018 Congress, held October 19-23, 2018 in Munich, Germany. Immunicum will announce the complete data through a press release following the presentation. The poster abstract will also be published in the ESMO 2018 Congress Abstract Book, a supplement to the official ESMO journal, Annals of Oncology. Poster Information: Title: Intratumoral administration of pro-inflammatory allogeneic, "off-the-shelf", dendritic cells in combination with anti-PD-1 or anti-CD137 has a synergistic anti-tumor effect Presentation Number: 440P Presenter: Dr. Alex Karlsson-Parra, Chief Scientific Officer Date & Time: Monday, October 22, 2018; 12.45 - 13.45 CET Location: H
Immunicum AB (publ) presenterar prekliniska data för ilixadencel i kombination med checkpointhämmare och immunaktiverare på 2018 års ESMO-kongress13.8.2018 08:00 | Pressmeddelande
Pressmeddelande 13 augusti 2018 Immunicum AB (publ) presenterar prekliniska data för ilixadencel i kombination med checkpointhämmare och immunaktiverare på 2018 års ESMO-kongress Immunicum AB (publ; IMMU.ST) tillkännagav idag att bolaget kommer att presentera en poster om sin ledande produktkandidat, ilixadencel, på 2018 års kongress för European Society for Medical Oncology (ESMO) , som hålls den 19-23 oktober 2018 i München i Tyskland. Immunicum kommer att offentliggöra fullständiga data i ett pressmeddelande som följer efter presentationen. En sammanfattning av postern kommer också att publiceras i ESMO 2018 Congress Abstract Book, ett komplement till ESMO:s officiella årsbok, Annals of Oncology. Posterinformation: Titel: Intratumoral administration of pro-inflammatory allogeneic, "off-the-shelf", dendritic cells in combination with anti-PD-1 or anti-CD137 has a synergistic anti-tumor effect (Intratumoral administration av pro-inflammatoriska allogena dendritiska celler som kan lagr
I vårt pressrum kan du läsa de senaste pressmeddelandena, få tillgång till pressmaterial och hitta kontaktinformation.Besök vårt pressrum