American Express Launches 2021 Global Travel Trends Report
American Express (NYSE: AXP) released the American Express Travel: Global Travel Trends Report today, which provides unique insight into consumer sentiment toward travel nearly one year after the COVID-19 pandemic began. The findings in the report, grounded in survey research across seven countries, including the United States, Australia, India, Canada, Mexico, Japan and the United Kingdom1, demonstrates that consumers are looking forward to traveling again and that they are planning for future trips.
This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210309005322/en/
American Express Travel: Global Travel Trends Report Finds Consumers are Looking Forward to Traveling Again (Graphic: Business Wire)
Top insights include:
- Strong Pent-Up Demand for Travel: 87% of people surveyed said that having a trip planned in the future gives them something to look forward to, 76% of respondents are creating their destination wish list for future travel even though they might not be able to travel yet and 63% of respondents said that they are saving their credit card points so they can go on a vacation once they feel comfortable traveling.
- Ready to Book Now: 56% of respondents said that they miss traveling so much that they are willing to book a trip now even if they might have to cancel it in the future.
- Rise of The Digital Nomad: 54% of respondents said that the freedom and flexibility of being able to live and work while traveling the globe is more appealing now than it was prior to the pandemic.
- Safety is a Priority: 65% of respondents said they plan to travel after they and their family members have received a vaccine for COVID-19.
- Privacy is the New Ultimate Luxury: 75% of respondents agree that the experiences that offer ultimate privacy is becoming a key sought-after feature of luxury travel.
- Increase in Sustainable Travel: 68% of respondents agree they are trying to be more aware of sustainability-friendly travel brands to support.
“Our latest global trends report shows that there is a pent-up demand for travel among consumers, with many people longing for and beginning to plan future trips,” said Audrey Hendley, President of American Express Travel. “In addition, the pandemic environment is giving rise to emerging trends, such as the increasing appeal of working from anywhere while traveling globally, luxury being defined as more personalized experiences, cleanliness and privacy as the ultimate luxury amenities, as well as a growing interest in the environmental and social purpose of their trips and travel companies.”
Here’s a look at key findings from the report:
CONSUMERS ARE LOOKING FORWARD TO TRAVELING AGAIN
People are finding hope and comfort in thinking about and even planning future trips.
- Travel to Uplift Health & Wellness: 78% of respondents indicate wanting to travel in 2021 to relieve the stresses from 2020.
- Planning and Paying for Future Travel: One in three say they will more frequently use travel credits or points to pay for all or part of a trip in 2021 than they did prior to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Making Up for Missed Travel: 61% of survey respondents plan to spend more than they normally would on a trip in 2021 since they could not travel in 2020.
- Consumers Willing to Make Sacrifices to Travel: 64% of respondents miss traveling so much that they would be willing to give up social media for a month to be able to go on vacation.
- Culinary Tourism is Here to Stay: 62% of respondents say that eating is the top activity they are interested in doing while traveling, and American Express Travel booking data for January 2021 shows foodie centric cities as top destinations for U.S. and International Card Members. Miami, San Francisco, Chicago and Houston are hot spots for U.S. American Express Card Members2 whereas Mexico City, Singapore and Tokyo are topping the list for International American Express Card Members3.
THE NEW TRAVEL MINDSET
With regular changes to booking policies, travel offers, and new destinations to consider, there is a new travel mindset today.
- Luxury Travel: The pandemic has changed peoples’ perception of luxury travel with personalized experiences (82%), high cleanliness standards (81%) and privacy (79%) being the most desirable luxury amenities among respondents1. 59% indicate that they want to use a travel agent to help plan and customize their next trip and 80% indicate they are willing to travel to destinations during the offseason so that it's less crowded.
- Surge in ‘Second-City’ Destinations: 69% of respondents are interested in visiting lesser-known destinations and American Express Travel booking data reinforces this trend, showing a rise in reservations for second-city destinations. For example, Dallas and Charlotte saw a higher share of bookings from International Card Members in January 2021 than the previous year4 and American Express Travel consultants are seeing requests for smaller cities like Porto (instead of Lisbon) in Portugal, and Wellington (instead of Auckland) in New Zealand.
TRAVELING WITH PURPOSE
Consumers are becoming more conscious travelers, are more aware of travel companies aligned with their values and will journey to destinations where they can have a positive impact on communities.
- Backing Local Communities: 72% of respondents agree that they are passionate about traveling to destinations to help boost tourism revenue and the local economy1.
- Supporting Travel Brands that Prioritize Diversity & Inclusion: 69% of respondents agree that they want to choose an airline/hotel that values diversity and inclusion, and whose employees reflect a diverse customer base.
- Carbon Conscious Travelers: 60% of respondents agree they want to book airlines that have a carbon neutral commitment.
American Express Travel’s 4,500 travel consultants provide customers with world-class service, where high-tech meets high-touch support, 24/7. To give customers more value and confidence whenever they’re ready to travel, the company has rolled out a number of discounts and offers across hotel, air and car rentals and extended American Express Travel cancellation fee waivers through the end of September. To find out more visit AmexTravel.com.
For additional findings and more information on the American Express Travel: Global Travel Trends Report, visit here.
AMERICAN EXPRESS TRAVEL: GLOBAL TRAVEL TRENDS REPORT METHODOLOGY
1 This Amex Trendex online poll was conducted by Morning Consult between January 15-24, 2021 among a national sample of 1,000 travelers in Australia, Canada, India, Japan, Mexico and the U.K., and 2,000 in the U.S. $70k+ USD household income (HHI) equivalent in Australia, Canada, Japan, the U.K. and the U.S., $50k+ USD equivalent HHI in Mexico, and $20k+ USD equivalent household income in India. Travelers defined as adults who traveled by air at least once in 2019. Results have a margin of error of plus or minus 2 percentage points in the U.S.; plus or minus 3 percentage points in the other countries.
2 Based on U.S. Card Member flight and hotel bookings made through American Express Travel in January 2021
3 Based on International Card Member flight and hotel bookings made through American Express Travel in January 2021
4Based on International Card Member hotel and air bookings made through American Express Travel in January 2021 compared to January 2020.
ABOUT AMERICAN EXPRESS
American Express is a globally integrated payments company, providing customers with access to products, insights and experiences that enrich lives and build business success. Learn more at americanexpress.com and connect with us on facebook.com/americanexpress, instagram.com/americanexpress, linkedin.com/company/american-express, twitter.com/americanexpress, and youtube.com/americanexpress.
Key links to products, services and corporate responsibility information: charge and credit cards, business credit cards, travel services, gift cards, prepaid cards, merchant services, Accertify, InAuth, corporate card, business travel, and corporate responsibility.
About Business Wire
Subscribe to releases from Business Wire
Subscribe to all the latest releases from Business Wire by registering your e-mail address below. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Latest releases from Business Wire
Schlumberger Announces First-Quarter 2021 Results23.4.2021 12:50:00 CEST | Press release
Schlumberger Limited (NYSE: SLB) today reported results for the first-quarter 2021. First-Quarter Results(Stated in millions, except per share amounts)Three Months EndedChange Mar. 31, 2021 Dec. 31, 2020 Mar. 31, 2020 SequentialYear-on-yearRevenue* $5,223 $5,532 $7,455 -6% -30% Income (loss) before taxes - GAAP basis $386 $471 $(8,089) -18% n/m Net income (loss) - GAAP basis $299 $374 $(7,376) -20% n/m Diluted EPS (loss per share) - GAAP basis $0.21 $0.27 $(5.32) -22% n/m Adjusted EBITDA** $1,049 $1,112 $1,347 -6% -22% Adjusted EBITDA margin** 20.1% 20.1% 18.1% 0 bps 203 bps Pretax segment operating income** $664 $654 $776 1% -14% Pretax segment operating margin** 12.7% 11.8% 10.4% 88 bps 230 bps Net income, excluding charges & credits** $299 $309 $351 -3% -15% Diluted EPS, excluding charges & credits** $0.21 $0.22 $0.25 -5% -16% Revenue by Geography International $4,211 $4,343 $5,225 -3% -19% North America* 972 1,167 2,180 -17% -55% Other 40 22 50 n/m n/m $5,223 $5,532 $7,455 -6% -30%
ANAORI kakugama: The New Cooking Tool Shaking Up the Culinary World23.4.2021 12:30:00 CEST | Press release
Japanese brand ANAORI, a leader in manufacturing carbon graphite products, has developed a groundbreaking cooking tool that combines new technologies and natural materials in a unique design. In the coming weeks, renowned chefs from around the world will apply their expertise to showcase the potential of ANAORI kakugama. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210423005016/en/ ANAORI kakugama Watch the ANAORI kakugama video here ANAORI kakugama: The Culinary Tool Combining Tradition and Innovation The philosophy of ANAORI was born out of respect for Japanese culture, rooted in a tradition of living in harmony with nature. Naturality according to ANAORI means understanding the principles of nature without confronting it, multiplying its powers by means of minimal intervention, in order to best utilise it. The Japanese company unveils two ANAORI kakugama models in two different sizes, to cook with the rhythm of the seas
Hiab and FSP enter into agreement on the transfer of surface treatment functions in Poland23.4.2021 11:01:00 CEST | Press release
Hiab, part of Cargotec, and FSP Finnish Steel Painting Ltd have reached an agreement about the surface treatment operations in Hiab’s Stargard multi-assembly unit in Poland as of April 2021. Following the partnership FSP will provide Hiab Poland the surface treatment services and the expertise in development techniques. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210423005017/en/ Hiab, part of Cargotec, and FSP Finnish Steel Painting Ltd have reached an agreement about the surface treatment operations in Hiab’s Stargard multi-assembly unit in Poland. (Photo: Business Wire) The surface treatment operation in Hiab’s Stargard multi-assembly unit and its associated professionals will transfer to FSP under their current employment conditions. The purpose of the agreement is to intensify the cooperation between Hiab and FSP so that the parties can focus on their own core competencies and improve business development. For severa
JAB Welcomes Lubomira Rochet as Partner23.4.2021 09:30:00 CEST | Press release
JAB is pleased to welcome Lubomira Rochet to the JAB Partnership, effective June 1, 2021. Based in London, Ms. Rochet is a recognized digital leader and business transformer with extensive global experience across multiple industries. She joins JAB following seven years at L'Oréal, where she served as Chief Digital Officer and a member of the Executive Committee. While at L’Oreal, Ms. Rochet successfully led the beauty giant’s marketing and commercial pivot to a digital-first company, scaling E-commerce to 27% of the Group’s revenue with more than 45% average yearly growth during her tenure and accelerating Direct-to-Consumer engagement and reinventing marketing in the digital age. She was recognized as the 2019 Global Marketer of the Year by the World Federation of Advertisers. Ms. Rochet will build on her successful track record of large-scale global business transformations to drive growth and digital leadership in JAB’s portfolio companies. Ms. Rochet will join the Boards of severa
XPRIZE and Musk Foundation Announce Guidelines and Open Registration for $100M XPRIZE Carbon Removal23.4.2021 01:23:00 CEST | Press release
XPRIZE, the global leader in designing and implementing innovative competition models to solve the world’s grand challenges, today announced the official launch of $100 Million XPRIZE Carbon Removal with the opening of team registration and the release of the competition guidelines. The announcement comes shortly after Peter H. Diamandis,XPRIZE founder and executive chairman, and Elon Musk sat down for a live stream hosted on Twitter to discuss the importance of spurring carbon removal solutions, the climate crisis, and the launch of the largest incentive prize in history. The conversation was followed by a virtual question and answer hosted by Marcius Extavour, vice president of climate and environment at XPRIZE, and XPRIZE’s chief impact officer, Zenia Tata. Funded by the Musk Foundation, $100M XPRIZE Carbon Removal is aimed at tackling climate change by asking global innovators to develop solutions that can pull carbon dioxide directly from the atmosphere or oceans and lock it away
Verimatrix To Participate in SportsPro Live Virtual Panel: How To Transform Physical Spaces into Digital Ecosystems22.4.2021 17:45:00 CEST | Press release
Regulatory News: Verimatrix, (Paris:VMX) (Euronext Paris: VMX), the leader in powering the modern connected world with people-centered security, today announced that Lu Bolden, Chief Revenue Officer, is slated to participate in a SportsPro Live virtual panel discussion from 9:10 to 9:55 a.m. Central Time on Thursday, April 29. The event, which unites sports and technology professionals from across the globe, aims to prepare the industries for the future of sport. Bolden’s panel is slated to take place in the South Stand and discuss how technology can connect the in-venue experience to create more revenue opportunities. The group, moderated by Mike Bohndiek, CEO of PTI Digital Group, will also discuss what strategies and technologies can best deliver the new digital experiences. Other speakers on the panel include: Michael Cole, Chief Technology Officer, PGA European Tour and Ryder Cup Europe Adam Heintz, Senior Vice President, Business Intelligence, Monumental Sports & Entertainment “T
Rajeev Bhalla Named Director of Board at Next Level Aviation22.4.2021 17:39:00 CEST | Press release
Seasoned senior finance executive Rajeev Bhalla has been named a Director of the Board at Next Level Aviation, a leader in the aerospace used serviceable materials (USM) market. He brings wide-ranging financial, operational, and strategic expertise to the company as it plans substantial growth in the coming years, both organically and through acquisition. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210422005834/en/ Rajeev Bhalla has been named Director of the Board of Next Level Aviation. He will help guide the company’s planned growth in the coming years, both organically and through acquisition. (Photo: Business Wire) Bhalla’s background includes demonstrated discipline and expertise in finance, governance, and team development. This comes through current work as a Cerberus Operating Partner, board of director roles as well as experience in a number of successful companies. Notably, those include: Circor International,
In our pressroom you can read all our latest releases, find our press contacts, images, documents and other relevant information about us.Visit our pressroom