ANANDA Scientific and NYU Grossman School of Medicine Announce First Patient Enrolled in the Clinical Trial for Opioid Sparing in Participants with Radiculopathic Pain
ANANDA Scientific Inc., a biotech pharmaceutical company, and NYU Grossman School of Medicine today announced that the first patient has been enrolled in a clinical trial evaluating Nantheia™ A1002N5S, an investigational drug using cannabidiol in ANANDA’s proprietary Liquid Structure™ delivery technology. This trial is evaluating Nantheia™ A1002N5S for Opioid Sparing in the treatment of participants with Radiculopathic Pain Syndromes.
This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20220308005059/en/
(Photo: Business Wire)
This trial is being conducted at NYU Grossman School of Medicine, led by Stephen Ross, MD, Associate Professor of Psychiatry. Funding for this trial is from the National Institute of Drug Abuse (NIDA), with additional support from ANANDA. The NYU Grossman School of Medicine is No. 2 in the nation for research in the 2022 U.S. News & World Report “Best Graduate Schools” rankings.
“We are excited to get this important trial underway and expanding research on therapeutic alternatives to opioid pharmacotherapies,” said Dr. Ross. “This research protocol creates an opportunity for the possible development of evidence-based CBD medicinal products to reduce opioid intake and pain.”
“We are very pleased to be continuing our collaboration with NYU Grossman School of Medicine. We are impressed by the scientific rigor and professionalism of the NYU team in putting a cutting-edge program in place to test the efficacy of this very promising drug,” said Sohail R. Zaidi, ANANDA’s CEO. “The initiation of patient enrollment in this study is an important step in efforts to provide patients with Radiculopathic Pain with an alternative to the use of Opioids for the management of pain.”
This is a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial with 40 participants receiving four months of treatment with Nantheia™ A1002N5S, or placebo with a follow-up after 2 months. The primary efficacy outcome is a change in opioid maintenance dose from baseline to the end of the treatment period. Safety and tolerability of CBD will also be assessed throughout the trial. (ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT04760613).
ABOUT NANTHEIA™ A1002N5S
Nantheia™ A1002N5S is an investigational drug that uses CBD in ANANDA’s propriety Liquid Structure delivery technology. Pre-clinical and initial clinical studies show that ANANDA’s Liquid Structure™ delivery technology (licensed from Lyotropic Delivery Systems (LDS) Ltd. in Jerusalem, Israel) enhances the effectiveness and stability of CBD. Nantheia™ A1002N5S is an oral product with 50 mg of CBD per soft gel capsule.
ABOUT ANANDA SCIENTIFIC
ANANDA is a leading research-focused biotech company pioneering high-caliber clinical studies evaluating therapeutic indications such as PTSD, Radiculopathic Pain, Anxiety and Opioid Use Disorder (Mt. Sinai, UCLA). The company employs patented delivery technology to make cannabinoids and other plant derived compounds highly bioavailable, water soluble, and shelf-life stable and focuses on producing effective, premium quality pharmaceutical products. Consistent with its strong research-based data, the company also has a growing pipeline of nutraceutical over-the-counter products. The company has successfully launched these products in the US, Australia, and the UK, with expansion planned into additional markets such as the EU, China, Africa, and other countries in Asia. The company is expanding its research base through multiple sponsored research agreements with universities to diversify its technology portfolio.
ABOUT OPIOID SPARING FOR PATIENTS WITH CHRONIC NON-CANCER RADICULOPATHY
Chronic pain (pain lasting 3 or more months) (1) is a highly prevalent public health problem (2) (3), and constitutes the greatest economic burden of any medical condition (4). Of the Chronic Non-Cancer Pain (CNCP) conditions, radicular pain disorders (particularly low back pain) have particularly high rates of opioid prescribing (5), and higher opioid doses predict poorer functional outcomes in this cohort of chronic pain patients (6). Estimates of the prevalence of opioid use disorders (OUDs) in CNCP range from 5% in a meta-analysis (7) to 20-35% (8), (9), (10), (11). All of this notwithstanding, chronic opioid therapy (COT) prescribing for CNCP increased markedly between 1990 and 2010, and is one of the root causes of the current opioid epidemic (12). Our goal is to develop an intervention to reduce opioid use in patients with radicular CNCP syndromes receiving moderate to high-dose COT to safer doses while at the same time maintaining or improving pain management.
1. Dowell D, Haegerich TM, Chou R. CDC Guideline for Prescribing Opioids for Chronic Pain - United States, 2016. MMWR Recomm Rep. 2016;65(1):1-49. Epub 2016/03/18. doi: 10.15585/mmwr.rr6501e1. PubMed PMID: 26987082.
2. Nahin RL. Estimates of pain prevalence and severity in adults: United States, 2012. The journal of pain: official journal of the American Pain Society. 2015;16(8):769-80. Epub 2015/06/02. doi: 10.1016/j.jpain.2015.05.002. PubMed PMID: 26028573; PMCID: PMC4562413.
3. Institute of Medicine Committee on Advancing Pain Research C, Education. The National Academies Collection: Reports funded by National Institutes of Health. Relieving Pain in America: A Blueprint for Transforming Prevention, Care, Education, and Research. Washington (DC): National Academies Press (US), National Academy of Sciences.; 2011.
4. Gaskin DJ, Richard P. The economic costs of pain in the United States. The journal of pain : official journal of the American Pain Society. 2012;13(8):715-24. Epub 2012/05/23. doi: 10.1016/j.jpain.2012.03.009. PubMed PMID: 22607834.
5. Webster BS, Verma SK, Gatchel RJ. Relationship between early opioid prescribing for acute occupational low back pain and disability duration, medical costs, subsequent surgery and late opioid use. Spine. 2007;32(19):2127-32. Epub 2007/09/01. doi: 10.1097/BRS.0b013e318145a731. PubMed PMID: 17762815.
6. Kidner CL, Mayer TG, Gatchel RJ. Higher opioid doses predict poorer functional outcome in patients with chronic disabling occupational musculoskeletal disorders. The Journal of bone and joint surgery American volume. 2009;91(4):919-27. Epub 2009/04/03. doi: 10.2106/jbjs.H.00286. PubMed PMID: 19339577; PMCID: PMC2665041.
7. Higgins C, Smith BH, Matthews K. Incidence of iatrogenic opioid dependence or abuse in patients with pain who were exposed to opioid analgesic therapy: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Br J Anaesth. 2018;120(6):1335-44. Epub 2018/05/26. doi: 10.1016/j.bja.2018.03.009. PubMed PMID: 29793599.
8. Sullivan MD, Von Korff M, Banta-Green C, Merrill JO, Saunders K. Problems and concerns of patients receiving chronic opioid therapy for chronic non-cancer pain. Pain. 2010;149(2):345-53. Epub 2010/03/26. doi: 10.1016/j.pain.2010.02.037. PubMed PMID: 20334974; PMCID: PMC3318978.
9. Boscarino JA, Rukstalis M, Hoffman SN, Han JJ, Erlich PM, Gerhard GS, Stewart WF. Risk factors for drug dependence among out-patients on opioid therapy in a large US health-care system. Addiction (Abingdon, England). 2010;105(10):1776-82. Epub 2010/08/18. doi: 10.1111/j.1360-0443.2010.03052.x. PubMed PMID: 20712819.
10. Juurlink DN, Dhalla IA. Dependence and addiction during chronic opioid therapy. Journal of medical toxicology : official journal of the American College of Medical Toxicology. 2012;8(4):393-9. Epub 2012/10/18. doi: 10.1007/s13181-012-0269-4. PubMed PMID: 23073725; PMCID: PMC3550262.
11. Boscarino JA, Hoffman SN, Han JJ. Opioid-use disorder among patients on long-term opioid therapy: impact of final DSM-5 diagnostic criteria on prevalence and correlates. Substance abuse and rehabilitation. 2015;6:83-91. Epub 2015/09/01. doi: 10.2147/sar.S85667. PubMed PMID: 26316838; PMCID: PMC4548725.
12. Vadivelu N, Kai AM, Kodumudi V, Sramcik J, Kaye AD. The Opioid Crisis: a Comprehensive Overview. Curr Pain Headache Rep. 2018;22(3):16. Epub 2018/02/25. doi: 10.1007/s11916-018-0670-z. PubMed PMID: 29476358.
To view this piece of content from cts.businesswire.com, please give your consent at the top of this page.
ANANDA Scientific Media Relations
813 326 4265
About Business Wire
Subscribe to releases from Business Wire
Subscribe to all the latest releases from Business Wire by registering your e-mail address below. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Latest releases from Business Wire
Conviva Announces Streaming Audience Measurement Standard Leveraging Comprehensive, Continuous, Census-level Technology16.5.2022 20:21:00 CEST | Press release
Conviva, the Continuous Measurement Analytics platform for streaming media, today announces it will unveil a streaming audience measurement standard to be released for general availability at CES 2023. This expansion is in partnership with premium streaming providers using Conviva’s real-time cloud sessionization technology. The new standard provides census-level streaming audience ad packaging and measurement that is complimentary and interoperable with linear TV allowing streaming providers to compete at scale with the digital walled gardens solutions competing for ad budgets today. Conviva’s platform currently processes nearly 3 trillion streaming data events daily, supporting more than 500 million unique viewers watching 200 billion streams per year across 4 billion applications streaming on devices. “Audience measurement represents the streaming industry’s biggest opportunity and Conviva’s technology definitively unlocks its potential,” comments Keith Zubchevich, CEO of Conviva. “
Verimatrix Anti-Piracy and Threat Defense Experts To Highlight Latest Innovations at CABSAT and TT CS16.5.2022 17:45:00 CEST | Press release
Regulatory News: Verimatrix, (Euronext Paris: VMX), the leader in powering the modern connected world with people-centered security, today announced participation in two leading conferences this month: European Medical Device and Diagnostic Software Development and Compliance Conference (TT CS) – May 17-18 – Brussels, Belgium TT CS is Europe’s only dedicated conference for medtech cybersecurity professionals. Held at the Sheraton Brussels Airport Hotel, the event features two Verimatrix speakers. Nicole Lua, sales director, is scheduled to serve as moderator for a “Security By Design” roundtable at 1:35 p.m. on May 17. Neal Michie, director of product management, is scheduled to discuss the prevention of threats associated with unmanaged and quasi-managed devices during a session slated for 10:15-10:50 a.m. on May 18. CABSAT – May 17-19 – Dubai, UAE CABSAT is the most established and respected trade platform for broadcast, satellite, entertainment content & digital media sectors across
“Our Future is Light” Campaign Kicks off 2022 International Day of Light16.5.2022 17:03:00 CEST | Press release
An action-packed video styled as a blockbuster-movie trailer provides the linchpin for this year’s International Day of Light (IDL) campaign, “Our future is light. Play your part.” Released today, Day of Light features diverse characters successfully solving global-level problems using photonics-enabled technologies. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20220516005150/en/ Sponsored by SPIE, Optica, and IEEE Photonics Society, this year’s International Day of Light celebration showcases exciting, critical career opportunities in optics and photonics. (Graphic: Business Wire) Three professional societies – SPIE, the international society for optics and photonics, IEEE Photonics Society, and Optica, Advancing Optics & Photonics Worldwide – partnered to create the video and the accompanying 2022 IDL campaign. “Our future is light. Play your part” promotes the importance of light-based technologies and interesting careers
NielsenIQ Launches Retail Media Solution to Monetize Assets and Measure ROI for Retailers16.5.2022 16:01:00 CEST | Press release
Today, NielsenIQ, a global information services company, announced the launch of NielsenIQ Activate; a software-as-a-service (SaaS) solution that enables retailers to accelerate revenue opportunities through retail media and comprehensive customer insights that activate shoppers with personalized promotional offers. NielsenIQ Activate is comprised of dedicated applications for hyper-targeted audience building, offer and ads management, and end-to-end measurement. This SaaS tool, part of the NielsenIQ Connect platform, will allow retailers to create sustainable revenues by monetizing their retail media assets across physical and digital channels. Additionally, retailers will be able to boost credibility with brands and inform them of the insights they need to command their customers’ attention, act on those insights, and measure the ROI of their activities across all channels. “We are devoted to continuing our legacy by defining the next century of consumer and retail measurement,” says
TYLin and GPO Group Strategically Align16.5.2022 16:00:00 CEST | Press release
The GPO Group and Sam Schwartz, one of its operating companies, as part of a global effort to enhance connections and collaboration among companies in the Dar Group’s Global Infrastructure (GI) Pillar, are formally aligning with TYLin, the leading brand in the GI Pillar. The GPO Group and Sam Schwartz have added a TYLin “unifier” line to their names. Effective immediately, GPO will be known as GPO, A TYLin Company. Similarly, Sam Schwartz will be known as Sam Schwartz, A TYLin Company. The addition of the unifier line is part of a global strategic initiative to unify the companies in the Dar Group GI Pillar under the TYLin brand to provide more efficient access to its vast global resources and promote better collaboration among its staff. Aligning the two companies with TYLin — particularly in the rail and transit segments — means that GPO and Sam Schwartz, transportation and mobility leaders in Europe and the Americas, respectively, will expand their ability to deliver innovative thin
In our pressroom you can read all our latest releases, find our press contacts, images, documents and other relevant information about us.Visit our pressroom