Avalara Enhances VAT Solutions to Enable Global Businesses to Manage VAT Registrations, Calculations, and Reporting
Avalara, Inc. (NYSE: AVLR), a leading provider of cloud-based tax compliance automation for businesses of all sizes, today announced updated products to help businesses comply with new value-added tax (VAT) rules for ecommerce in the EU that went into effect July 1, 2021 — Avalara VAT Registration, Avalara AvaTax for VAT, and Avalara VAT Reporting. Over the past several years, an onslaught of significant VAT legislative changes has further burdened businesses selling into and throughout Europe. Businesses navigating the compliance complexities of global trade are seeking integrated solutions to keep pace with changing rules.
“The new EU ecommerce reforms have far-reaching impacts on international and domestic sellers doing business in Europe,” said Kevin Permenter, research manager, IDC. “B2B and B2C ecommerce businesses and marketplaces alike can benefit from automated solutions to simplify the entire VAT compliance life cycle from registrations to calculations to reporting.”
EU VAT reforms heap complexity onto businesses
On July 1, 2021, member states of the European Union (EU) rolled out significant changes to VAT obligations for B2C ecommerce, including the EU One-Stop Shop, the Import One-Stop Shop, and marketplace deemed supplier obligations. These reforms come as part of an effort to tackle the €137 billion ecommerce VAT fraud gap. Each reform brings changes and associated complexity for domestic and international sellers in the EU, including:
- One-Stop Shop (OSS) allows intra-EU sellers to report all their pan-EU distance sales on a single VAT return in their home country instead of having multiple VAT registrations across the EU. The aim is to boost cross-border online trade and promote trade across the EU’s digital single market by reducing compliance obligations.
- Import One-Stop Shop (IOSS) gives non-EU sellers the option to register for IOSS in just one EU state to declare the VAT on B2C sales and imports of consignments below €150. However, non-EU sellers may require an intermediary to register for IOSS. There are instances where a facilitating marketplace (see marketplace deemed supplier rules) or delivery service may step in to report and pay the VAT. If any seller chooses not to use the IOSS, the customer may have to pay the delivery or customs agent to access their goods.
- Marketplace deemed supplier requires online marketplaces to collect VAT in place of sellers as the deemed supplier. Due to the rapid increase on digital commerce, deemed supplier laws aim to ensure VAT is collected on all online sales, including those completed through marketplaces.
“These changes, which have been part of the EU road map, herald a massive opportunity for business growth. Businesses of all sizes and stripes, including ecommerce and marketplaces, can now start to unlock access to the world’s largest trading bloc,” said Salim Ali, senior vice president of International at Avalara.
Automate VAT compliance with Avalara
Avalara’s enhanced VAT compliance solutions provide global businesses with features that help navigate the new OSS, IOSS, and marketplace deemed supplier laws across the EU, as well as optimize overall VAT compliance through automation.
VAT registration management. Streamline the process of researching and obtaining VAT registrations for multiple countries:
- Avalara VAT Registration enables businesses to simplify the burdensome process of registering to collect VAT across 74 countries. This enables global retailers and marketplaces to:
- Streamline VAT registrations. Reduce time and money spent registering in every country by automating the process once in a single language and remove the manual back-and-forth process between businesses and tax authorities to receive approved registrations more quickly.
- Address fiscal representation requirements. Avoid delays and noncompliance with comprehensive fiscal representation. A fiscal representative is a local entity that represents a nonresident company and assumes joint liability for value-added tax (VAT) compliance. To date, 19 countries across the EU require foreign businesses to register a fiscal representative to manage queries and VAT return filing obligations with local tax authorities.
“Managing the process of VAT registrations on our own was time-consuming and complex, especially when it came to managing our marketplace transactions,” said Abi Lucas Maia, CEO at Yum Biltong LDA, a provider of high-quality biltong products. “Avalara VAT Registration saves time and frustration by making the process as simple as scanning the documents into the system and being able to walk away.”
VAT calculation management. Comply with new legislation and improve the accuracy of VAT calculations on domestic and cross-border transactions:
- Avalara AvaTax for VAT helps businesses calculate VAT with a greater degree of accuracy to comply with new compliance rules and regulations across the EU. This enables global retailers to:
- Increase VAT compliance. Reduce audit risk by applying up-to-date tax information across transactions when invoicing and charging customers.
- Improve operational efficiency. Free up resources dedicated to VAT calculations by automating the time-consuming process of aggregating and maintaining complex tax rates and rules across multiple systems. AvaTax for VAT automates updates with integrations into business systems like enterprise resource planning (ERP), point of sale (POS), ecommerce, and other customer applications.
- Enhance customer experience. Reduce surprise costs at delivery for international customers by taxing delivery duty paid (DPP) — where the seller takes responsibility for duties, taxes, and other fees — at checkout.
VAT reporting management. Streamline the VAT reporting process through automation with more accuracy and control. Avalara offers three tiers of VAT reporting platforms designed to fit reporting needs for businesses of all sizes:
- Avalara VAT Reporting for Small Business provides small businesses with an online self-service portal to simplify the management of international VAT returns. This enables small businesses to:
- Grow the business internationally. Reduce the complexity of VAT compliance as the small business grows into new international jurisdictions by using an up-to-date tax filing calendar and easy-to-use tools to format local VAT returns correctly.
- Increase business efficiency and data visibility. Save time, reduce the total cost of preparation and filing, and increase visibility into the entire filing process by using an online self-service portal.
- Avalara Managed VAT Reporting provides small to medium-sized businesses with an automated international VAT tax filing and returns solution to manage the entire VAT preparation and filing process across jurisdictions. In addition to the benefits of VAT Reporting for Small Business, this enables businesses to:
- Automate VAT reporting for multiple countries. Use intelligent automated preparation and filing technology to simplify the entire reporting process regardless of the number of channels used or countries sold to.
- Avalara Managed VAT Reporting Premium provides medium to large businesses with an outsourced solution for custom handling of VAT returns filing. In addition to the benefits of Managed VAT Reporting, this enables enterprises to:
- Reduce business disruption. Have a dedicated preparer to help ensure local VAT returns are filed correctly and on time, while reducing the need to train personnel and disrupt ongoing business processes.
“Europe is critical to the continued growth of sellers, retailers, and marketplaces," said Sanjay Parthasarathy, chief product officer at Avalara. "New compliance reforms and rules across the EU have created new complexities for international businesses and our enhanced VAT solutions provide them with the technology needed to simplify, streamline, and manage the entire VAT compliance life cycle.”
For additional information on Avalara’s VAT solutions, please click here.
Avalara helps businesses of all sizes get tax compliance right. In partnership with leading ERP, accounting, ecommerce, and other financial management system providers, Avalara delivers cloud-based compliance solutions for various transaction taxes, including sales and use, VAT, GST, excise, communications, lodging, and other indirect tax types. Headquartered in Seattle, Avalara has offices across the U.S. and around the world in Brazil, Europe, and India. More information at avalara.com.
To view this piece of content from cts.businesswire.com, please give your consent at the top of this page.
About Business Wire
Subscribe to releases from Business Wire
Subscribe to all the latest releases from Business Wire by registering your e-mail address below. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Latest releases from Business Wire
Developing Telecoms: A Green Road to a Greener Future: MTN at BWS 202120.10.2021 18:00:00 CEST | Press release
Developing Telecoms reported that lowering carbon emissions has become an increasing priority for the largest players in the telecoms sector due to the role that ICT can play in helping other industries decarbonizes. At the Better World Summit for Green ICT held at Huawei’s Innovation Lab in Dubai, various speakers explored how the ICT industry will be able to facilitate a greener society – and why this was particularly important in emerging markets regions, including Africa. MTN Group executive, Chief Procurement Officer Dirk Karl took the stage to discuss how operators had a role to play in emerging markets. Karl described this beyond simply the purpose of business – operators have responsibility to enable everyone the benefits of a modern, connected life, and MTN is still deploying and densifying networks in Africa. “Our work is not just about flourishing the business – it has a purpose, and this was proven under COVID, of being system-relevant to our wider economies in order to con
Verimatrix Announces Third Quarter 2021 Revenue20.10.2021 17:45:00 CEST | Press release
Regulatory News: Verimatrix (Paris:VMX) today announced its revenue for the third quarter ended September 30, 2021. Amedeo D’Angelo, Chairman and CEO, commented: “During the third quarter, we executed the implementation of our accelerated shift toward a subscription-based business, including through SaaS offerings. It included further developing the go-to-market strategy as well as reviewing organization and expenses to ensure we are spending and investing in alignment with our strategy. At the same time, we continue to expand our cloud-based offerings, as illustrated with the release of the Verimatrix Multi-DRM Core service earlier in 2021. Verimatrix is experiencing continuous growth of its SaaS business, as illustrated with the sequential growth of the ARR, even though products and offerings have not yet been changed to be subscription-only and “cloud first.” This growth should be further supported by new SaaS products going live throughout 2022. Additionally, the shift in our contr
NetApp Expands Hybrid Cloud Solutions Portfolio to Unlock Best of Cloud20.10.2021 17:00:00 CEST | Press release
Today at INSIGHT 2021, NetApp® (NASDAQ: NTAP), a global cloud-led, data-centric software company, announced new additions and enhanced capabilities across its hybrid cloud portfolio to help organizations modernize their IT infrastructures and accelerate digital transformation. Delivering new secure ways to consume and operate data services on-premises and in the cloud, NetApp hybrid cloud solutions make it simpler for enterprise customers to put their data to work — wherever and whenever they need it. As the only solutions provider with native integrations for the world’s largest public clouds, NetApp’s industry leading ONTAP® software continues to serve as the foundation for hybrid cloud. With the latest release of ONTAP, NetApp is introducing enhanced protection against ransomware, expanded data management capabilities, and NVMe/TCP support for accelerated performance. The company is also announcing new digital wallet capabilities for NetApp Cloud Manager and enhanced data services f
NetApp Simplifies and Speeds Digital Transformation for Customers Through Deep, Industry-Leading Public Cloud Relationships20.10.2021 17:00:00 CEST | Press release
NetApp (NASDAQ: NTAP) a global, cloud-led, data-centric software company, today announced continued growth and momentum helping organizations unlock the best of cloud at less cost, through its collaboration with the world’s three largest public clouds. NetApp’s expansion in the cloud has been driven by customers and supported by these partnerships, accelerating NetApp’s public cloud services’ customer and financial growth by bringing its leading CloudOps and ITOps solutions to existing and new addressable customers. Furthering its investment in the cloud, NetApp acquired Data Mechanics in early fiscal year (FY)’22, and this month announced the intent to acquire CloudCheckr to bolster the Spot by NetApp portfolio’s existing continuous cloud optimization capabilities. This growth, driven by NetApp’s ONTAP data management software, which provides high-performance shared storage for file and block workloads, has propelled the native integration of NetApp’s cloud file services into each of
SkyHive Raises $40M Series B to Reskill Workforces and Advance the Digital Labor Economy20.10.2021 16:00:00 CEST | Press release
SkyHive (the “Company”), the SaaS platform providing workforce transformation and labor market development guidance, today announced a $40 million Series B investment round led by Eldridge, with participation from other investors Allegis Cyber, Accenture Ventures, Workday Ventures, and the Partnership Fund For New York City. Recently recognized by The World Economic Forum as a 2021 Technology Pioneer, SkyHive is solving dislocation in modern labor economics and human capital management using its proprietary Quantum Labor Analysis (QLA) methodology, which is active in 90 countries and 400,000 unique locations worldwide. QLA combines economic theory, workforce modelling, human analytics, and data science to provide real-time insights on workforces and external labor markets. The platform also identifies high-value emerging skillsets and actively helps organizations reskill their professionals. “Reskilling the world at scale and with pace is only achieved by successfully blending art and
Silicon Valley Veterans Launch pulsESG™ — an Integrated SaaS Platform for Enterprise ESG Analysis with $8.5M in Seed Funding from Impact-Driven Investors20.10.2021 15:00:00 CEST | Press release
pulsESG™ today announced the launch of its enterprise environmental, social, and governance (ESG) software as a service (SaaS) platform backed by $8.5 million in seed funding from leading impact-driven investors and led by two Silicon Valley enterprise software veterans. The platform distinguishes itself in the marketplace through features such as model-driven architecture and full integration with both internal sources of data and external investor-facing systems, empowering companies to track and derive insights for ESG compliance and improvement based on stakeholder requirements. The company emerged from stealth mode today and the product is expected to be made generally available in Q1 2022. Led by tech veterans and co-founders Murat Sönmez and Inderjeet Singh, the pulsESG™ platform is designed to take a different approach to ESG analysis than what currently exists in the marketplace by providing comprehensive, auditable, and accurate deep analytics that can be integrated with both
Interaxon Inc. (Muse®) Launches the Latest in Non-Pharmaceutical Sleep Support: EEG-Powered ‘Digital Sleeping Pills’ That Provide Immediate & Intelligent Support for Falling Asleep & Nighttime Interruptions20.10.2021 15:00:00 CEST | Press release
Interaxon Inc. (Muse®), a leading consumer neurotechnology and meditation company, today announced the launch of the second generation of its popular EEG meditation & sleep headband, Muse S. This updated plush brain-sensing headband uses real-time biofeedback to help you learn the art of mediation as well as help you fall asleep, stay asleep and now go back to sleep if you awaken during the night. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20211020005215/en/ Muse today announced the launch of the second generation of its popular EEG meditation & sleep headband, Muse S. This updated plush brain-sensing headband uses real-time biofeedback to help you learn the art of mediation as well as help you fall asleep, stay asleep and now go back to sleep if you awaken during the night. (Photo: Business Wire) Alongside the launch of the updated Muse S headband, Interaxon is launching an intelligent new kind of EEG-powered sleep experi
In our pressroom you can read all our latest releases, find our press contacts, images, documents and other relevant information about us.Visit our pressroom