Cat Rock Capital Issues Presentation on Just Eat Takeaway.com
Cat Rock Capital Management LP (together with its affiliates, “Cat Rock Capital”), a long-term oriented investment firm and beneficial owner of approximately 10.0 million shares of the common stock of Just Eat Takeaway.com NV (“Just Eat Takeaway.com”, “JET”, or “the Company”) (LSE: JET, AMS: TKWY, NASDAQ: GRUB), representing circa 4.7% of Just Eat Takeaway.com’s outstanding shares, today issues a public presentation on recent developments at the Company. This presentation is available at JustEatMustDeliver.com and upon request via firstname.lastname@example.org. Cat Rock Capital also comments:
“Cat Rock Capital has been a shareholder of Just Eat Takeaway.com and its predecessor companies for over four years, and we have intensively researched the global online food delivery sector over the past six years.
“We believe JET is a fantastic online food delivery business with #1 positions in markets representing 90% of its revenue,(1) a huge runway for continued organic growth, and highly experienced operational management.
“While we have been pleased with JET’s strong operational performance under CEO Jitse Groen and his team, we have been deeply disappointed by the Company’s poor handling of its relationship with investors.
“JET’s deeply flawed communication has made it the worst-performing online food delivery stock over the past two years despite strong operational performance. JET’s share price has declined -11% over the past two years even as its Gross Merchandise Value (“GMV”) has grown over 100%.(2) Accordingly, the Company’s valuation has dropped approximately 75% from ~11x revenue in mid-2019 to just ~2.6x revenue today.(3) Amazingly, JET and DoorDash are expected to generate similar amounts of GMV this year, yet DoorDash is worth over four times as much as JET.(4)
“We believe it is clear why JET’s stock performed so poorly despite the Company’s strong growth:
- Profit Guidance: The Company has not been transparent in communicating the costs of its investments and the corresponding short-term impact on EBITDA, seriously undermining its credibility with the market. JET completely failed to proactively communicate the cost of its logistics investments. Analyst estimates for 2021 EBITDA have come down from positive €400 million in August 2020 to negative €350 million today,(5) a stunning €750 million reduction in profit estimates in less than a year. The updated profit guidance of -1.0% to -1.5% 2021 EBITDA / Gross Transaction Value (“GTV”) is not concerning in its own right – Delivery Hero and iFood both experienced -1% to -8% EBITDA / GTV during their own logistics transitions,(6) and heavy startup investments are expected given the hyper-growth of JET’s logistics orders (+766% in the UK and +131% overall in 2Q21).(7) However, JET’s failure to flag these investments early has undermined its credibility with the market.
- Logistics and Grocery Commentary: JET has itself publicly criticized the potential of businesses it is actively investing in, such as logistics and grocery delivery, causing immense confusion and misunderstanding. JET has bizarrely insisted that logistics and grocery will never achieve profits in Europe, even as it invests aggressively in logistics and enters the grocery market. Investors therefore naturally give JET no credit for these attractive and fast-growing businesses. Indeed, we know it has been a recent surprise to some that JET is already active in the grocery market. JET’s effort to dampen investor enthusiasm for logistics- and grocery-based competitors has completely backfired, leaving the Company in the awkward position of downplaying the long-term profit potential of its own investments.
- Responses to Competitor Aspersions: JET has failed to address competitor attacks and correct misinformation on its operational acumen. JET’s competitors have branded it as a marketing company with poor technology. Just one example of this occurred very publicly when Uber CEO Dara Khosrowshahi sent a tweet to Jitse Groen saying that he should pay ‘more attention to [his] Tech and Ops’. JET management responded by challenging the labor practices of its competitors, which is highly ineffective, instead of pointing to the clear evidence of JET’s operational and technical acumen – such as its ability to scale logistics at a >700% pace for the largest and most demanding global restaurant chains like McDonald’s, Burger King, KFC, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, Starbucks, Subway, and many others.(8)
“Cat Rock Capital believes the path forward for JET is clear.
- Fix Communication: JET needs to provide investors with transparency on the expected magnitude, composition, and returns of its investments. Specifically, JET should provide disclosure on the current and future unit economics of its logistics and grocery businesses.
- Clean House: JET needs to aggressively address and exploit the deep undervaluation of its equity by selling non-core assets, using the proceeds to invest in its growth and repurchase the shares issued in the Grubhub transaction.
- Explore Strategic Options: JET should explore strategic combinations with other global players that could strengthen the Company and generate significant shareholder value.”
Alex Captain, Founder and Managing Partner, Cat Rock Capital, commented:
“Just Eat Takeaway.com is a fantastic business with #1 positions in many of the world’s most valuable online food delivery markets and a long runway for growth.
“However, JET has failed to upgrade its communications with investors and the markets since IPO, leaving it deeply undervalued and vulnerable to takeover bids at far below intrinsic value.
“JET can quickly and materially improve its standing in the capital markets by improving transparency, selling non-core assets, and exploring strategic options to strengthen the business and generate significant shareholder value.
“We remain incredibly excited about JET’s prospects and look forward to continued engagement with management and shareholders to help the Company achieve its great potential.
“We welcome interested investors to review our research at JustEatMustDeliver.com. We would also be happy to connect with other Just Eat Takeaway.com shareholders who reach out to us at email@example.com.”
Cat Rock Capital’s previously released research and public commentary can also be found at JustEatMustDeliver.com.
White & Case LLP serves as legal advisor to Cat Rock Capital.
About Cat Rock Capital Management LP
Cat Rock Capital Management LP is a long-term focused investment firm that manages capital on behalf of pension funds, endowments, foundations, and other institutional investors. It seeks to invest in a select number of high-quality companies, with a long-term approach that emphasizes deep fundamental research. Cat Rock Capital is based in Connecticut, USA and was founded in 2015 by Alex Captain.
(1) Excluding recent acquisition of Grubhub. According to Just Eat Takeaway.com March 2021 investor presentation dated 10 March 2021.
(2) Share price according to S&P Capital IQ as of 23 July 2021. Gross Merchandise Value (“GMV”) growth based on FY20 and FY18 GMV according to Just Eat Takeaway.com 2020 Annual Report dated 17 March 2021.
(3) According to Bloomberg as of 23 July 2021. Current NTM revenue based on Cat Rock Capital estimates, as consensus has yet to be fully updated for the acquisition of Grubhub.
(4) Gross Merchandise Value (“GMV”) according to company guidance. Expected JET GMV based on mid-point of FY21 Gross Transaction Value (“GTV”) guidance issued on 15 July 2021. Expected DoorDash GMV based on mid-point of FY21 Marketplace Gross Order Value guidance issued on 13 May 2021. Valuation reflects Total Enterprise Value (“TEV”). TEV based on share price according to S&P Capital IQ as of 23 July 2021, fully diluted shares outstanding calculated by Cat Rock Capital using the treasury stock method, and net debt according to the most recently published financial report. JET GMV and TEV converted from EUR to USD based on EURUSD exchange rate according to S&P Capital IQ as of 23 July 2021.
(5) Historical analyst estimates for FY21 EBITDA based on consensus FY21 EBITDA according to S&P Capital IQ as of 31 December 2020. Current analyst estimates for FY21 EBITDA based on consensus FY21 EBITDA according to S&P Capital IQ as of 23 July 2021, among analysts that have updated their forecasts following JET’s 2Q21 trading update provided on 15 July 2021.
(6) Reflects annual Adjusted EBITDA losses as a percentage of GMV during the roll-out of logistics. Delivery Hero Adjusted EBITDA and GMV according to Delivery Hero 2020 Annual Report dated 28 April 2021. iFood Adjusted EBITDA and GMV according to Just Eat Takeaway.com investor presentation dated 10 March 2021.
(7) According to JET 2Q21 trading update provided on 15 July 2021.
(8) According to restaurant listings on JET digital properties (websites and apps).
Cat Rock Capital Management LP and certain of its affiliates and controlling persons (collectively, “Cat Rock Capital”), is publishing this announcement solely for the information of other shareholders in Just Eat Takeaway.com NV (“Just Eat Takeaway.com”). This announcement is not intended to be and does not constitute or contain any investment recommendation as defined by Regulation (EU) No 596/2014 (as it forms part of the domestic law in the United Kingdom by virtue of the European Union (Withdrawal) Act 2018). No information in this announcement should be construed as recommending or suggesting an investment strategy. Nothing in this announcement or in any related materials is a statement of or indicates or implies any specific or probable value outcome in any particular circumstance. This announcement is provided merely for general informational purposes and is not intended to be, nor should it be construed as (1) investment, financial, tax or legal advice, or (2) a recommendation to buy, sell or hold any security or other investment, or to pursue any investment style or strategy. Neither the information nor any opinion contained in this announcement constitutes an inducement or offer to purchase or sell or a solicitation of an offer to purchase or sell any securities or other investments in Just Eat Takeaway.com or any other company by Cat Rock Capital or any fund or other entity managed directly or indirectly by Cat Rock Capital in any jurisdiction. This announcement does not consider the investment objective, financial situation, suitability or the particular need or circumstances of any specific individual who may access or review this announcement and may not be taken as advice on the merits of any investment decision. This announcement is not intended to provide the sole basis for evaluation of, and does not purport to contain all information that may be required with respect to, any potential investment in the Company. Any person who is in any doubt about the matters to which this announcement relates should consult an authorised financial adviser or other person authorised under the UK Financial Services and Markets Act 2000. To the best of Cat Rock Capital’s ability and belief, all information contained herein is accurate and reliable, and has been obtained from public sources that Cat Rock Capital believes to be accurate and reliable. However, such information is presented “as is”, without warranty of any kind, whether express or implied, and Cat Rock Capital has not independently verified the data contained therein. All expressions of opinion are subject to change without notice, and Cat Rock Capital does not undertake to update or supplement any of the information, analysis and opinion contained herein. This announcement, and its content, distribution and use, is subject to the terms specified at www.JustEatMustDeliver.com.
FORWARD LOOKING STATEMENTS
This announcement contains certain forward-looking statements and information that are based on Cat Rock Capital’s beliefs, as well as assumptions made by, and information currently available to, Cat Rock Capital. These statements include, but are not limited to, statements about strategies, plans, objectives, expectations, intentions, expenditures and assumptions and other statements that are not historical facts. When used herein, words such as “anticipate,” “believe,” “estimate,” “expect,” “intend,” “plan” and “project” and similar expressions (or their negative) are intended to identify forward-looking statements. These statements reflect our current views with respect to future events, are not guarantees of future performance and involve risks and uncertainties that are difficult to predict. Further, certain forward-looking statements are based upon assumptions as to future events that may not prove to be accurate. Actual results, performance or achievements may vary materially and adversely from those described herein. There is no assurance or guarantee with respect to the prices at which any securities of Just Eat Takeaway.com or any other company will trade, and such securities may not trade at prices that may be implied herein. Any estimates, projections or potential impact of the opportunities identified by Cat Rock Capital herein are based on assumptions that Cat Rock Capital believes to be reasonable as of the date hereof, but there can be no assurance or guarantee that actual results or performance will not differ, and such differences may be material and adverse. No representation or warranty, express or implied, is given by Cat Rock Capital or any of its officers, employees or agents as to the achievement or reasonableness of, and no reliance should be placed on, any projections, estimates, forecasts, targets, prospects or returns contained herein. Neither Cat Rock Capital nor any of its directors, officers, employees, advisers or representatives shall have any liability whatsoever (for negligence or misrepresentation or in tort or under contract or otherwise) for any loss howsoever arising from any use of information presented in this announcement or otherwise arising in connection with this announcement. Any historical financial information, projections, estimates, forecasts, targets, prospects or returns contained herein are not necessarily a reliable indicator of future performance. Nothing in these materials should be relied upon as a promise or representation as to the future. Nothing in this announcement should be considered as a profit forecast.
In relation to the United Kingdom, this announcement is being issued only to, and is directed only at, (i) investment professionals specified in Article 19(5) of the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000 (Financial Promotion) Order 2005 as amended (the “Order”), (ii) high net worth entities, and other persons to whom it may lawfully be communicated, falling within Article 49(2)(a) to (d) of the Order and (iii) persons to whom an invitation or inducement to engage in investment activity (within the meaning of section 21 of the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000) in connection with the issue or sale of any securities of Just Eat or any member of its group may otherwise lawfully be communicated or caused to be communicated (all such persons together being referred to as “Permitted Recipients”). Persons who are not Permitted Recipients must not act or rely on the information contained in this announcement.
Not for release, publication or distribution, in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, in, into or from any jurisdiction where to do so would constitute a violation of the relevant laws of that jurisdiction. The distribution of this announcement in certain countries may be restricted by law and persons who access it are required to inform themselves and to comply with any such restrictions. Cat Rock Capital disclaims all responsibility where persons access this announcement in breach of any law or regulation in the country of which that person is a citizen or in which that person is residing or is domiciled. Cat Rock Capital is subject to supervision by, and registered with, the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.
To view this piece of content from cts.businesswire.com, please give your consent at the top of this page.
About Business Wire
Subscribe to releases from Business Wire
Subscribe to all the latest releases from Business Wire by registering your e-mail address below. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Latest releases from Business Wire
Celltrion Awarded up to $626 Million From the Department of Defense to Supply COVID-19 Point-of-Care (POC) Rapid Antigen Test Kits23.9.2021 09:00:00 CEST | Press release
Celltrion (KRX:068270) announced today that the Defense Logistics Agency (DLA) under the Department of Defense has awarded Celltrion USA, Inc., a subsidiary company of Celltrion, a procurement contract for its DiaTrustTM COVID-19 Ag Rapid Test. Celltrion USA will make deliveries to approximately 25,000 U.S. CONUS locations to support military bases, long-term care facilities, community testing sites, critical infrastructure, and other designated places on a weekly basis. The DLA estimates its order volume to be as much as $626 million considering the change in demand by the COVID-19 community transmission rate in the U.S. Celltrion believes that this procurement contract underscores Celltrion's quality, production and supply capabilities as the deal has been awarded after the Department of Defense’s rigorous verification. Celltrion has already proven the quality and safety of DiaTrustTM earlier this year as the product obtained Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) from the US Food and Dru
Temenos, Vodeno and Aion Bank Announce Strategic Collaboration to Accelerate the Adoption of Banking as a Service in Europe23.9.2021 08:30:00 CEST | Press release
Temenos (SIX: TEMN), the banking software company, Vodeno, a fully cloud-native BaaS provider and Aion Bank, a European licensed digital bank and credit institution, today announced a strategic collaboration to accelerate Banking as a Service (BaaS) deployment in Europe. The first banking services to be launched combine The Temenos Banking Cloud with Vodeno's card management and payment processing services. This will enable banks and businesses across industries to broaden their portfolio of products offered to their customers by automating and embedding new payments and card services seamlessly in their customer journey. The collaboration across all three parties removes the complexities and regulatory overheads of deploying embedded financial services in Europe. Clients will benefit from faster time to market and the business agility to develop new customer propositions. Temenos and Vodeno are already engaged in several proof of concepts with banks and fintechs across Europe. The Tem
The Guide to Unlocking E-Commerce Growth in Markets Across Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East23.9.2021 07:00:00 CEST | Press release
dLocal, a technology-first payments platform that enables global enterprise merchants to connect with billions of consumers in emerging markets, in partnership with Americas Market Intelligence (AMI), released today an exclusive industry report to fix the lack of trustworthy data about eCommerce in core and high-potential emerging markets. The countries covered are Egypt, Morocco, Nigeria, and South Africa in Africa; India in Asia; Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Mexico, Paraguay, Peru, and Uruguay in Latin America; and Turkey in the Middle East. Here are some of the report highlights: In 2020, the 14 core emerging markets added up to US$350 billion in processed payments The total pay-outs made from merchants to individuals in 2020 was equivalent to US$812 billion Local payment methods represent 83% of total eCommerce expenditure in the 14 core markets Although the global economy contracted by 3.5% in 2020, eCommerce growth remained positive, averaging 27% YoY among the 14 core mar
Galderma Announces Exclusive Agreement With Sofregen to Develop the Next Generation of Biostimulator Fillers Using Silk-Based Technology23.9.2021 07:00:00 CEST | Press release
Galderma, the world’s largest independent dermatology company, and Sofregen Medical, Inc., a medical device company pioneering the use of silk protein for tissue building and regeneration, announced today they have signed a co-development and option-to-acquire agreement. This collaboration will further expand Galderma’s capabilities built on decades of science-based aesthetics innovation and a unique heritage in biostimulator and hyaluronic acid (HA) fillers. The novel platform harnesses the unique power of silk protein to enable immediate volume restoration and provide structure that facilitates new tissue generation. “At Galderma, we’re committed to advancing dermatology through constant innovation and joining forces with other industry pioneers. Combining Galderma’s capabilities and scale with Sofregen’s novel silk platform represents a watershed moment for the aesthetics market through the development of a new category of biostimulator fillers designed to make an impact for healthc
EngageSmart Announces Pricing of Initial Public Offering23.9.2021 02:48:00 CEST | Press release
EngageSmart, Inc., a leading provider of vertically-tailored customer engagement software and integrated payments solutions, today announced the pricing of its initial public offering of 14,550,000 shares of its common stock at a price of $26.00 per share. Of the offered shares, 13,000,000 shares are being offered by EngageSmart and 1,550,000 shares are being offered by certain of EngageSmart’s existing stockholders. In addition, the underwriters will have a 30-day option to purchase from EngageSmart and the selling stockholders up to an additional 2,182,500 shares of their common stock at the initial public offering price, less underwriting discounts and commissions. EngageSmart will not receive any proceeds from the sale of shares of common stock by the selling stockholders. The shares are expected to begin trading on the New York Stock Exchange on Thursday, September 23, 2021, under the ticker symbol “ESMT.” The offering is expected to close on September 27, 2021, subject to customa
InvestaX Gets Closer to Tokenizing the World with MAS Fintech Sandbox23.9.2021 02:00:00 CEST | Press release
InvestaX (IC SG Pte Ltd) launches exchange in the Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS) sandbox, providing key infrastructure for bringing liquidity to digital securities. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210922005600/en/ Next Generation Digital Assets (Photo: Business Wire) InvestaX is a Singapore-headquartered, MAS-licensed* online investment and trading platform for Digital Securities (DSO) and Security Tokens (STO) of global private markets deals, focusing on exciting growth industries including crypto, gaming, blockchain, digital assets, venture, private equity and real estate. InvestaX, announces entry in the sandbox for its exchange, and now provides a one-stop shop solution for the issuance and trading of digital securities, for global products and global investors. Targeting the $8T USD tokenization of the private markets, InvestaX is built with open infrastructure for scalability and interoperability,
AWS to Open Data Centers in New Zealand23.9.2021 00:52:00 CEST | Press release
Today, Amazon Web Services (AWS), an Amazon.com, Inc. company (NASDAQ: AMZN), announced plans to open an infrastructure region in Aotearoa New Zealand in 2024. The new AWS Asia Pacific (Auckland) Region will consist of three Availability Zones (AZs) and join the existing 81 Availability Zones across 25 geographic AWS Regions at launch. The Region will be owned and operated by a local AWS entity in New Zealand. Globally, AWS has announced plans for 24 more Availability Zones and eight more AWS Regions in Australia, India, Indonesia, Israel, Spain, Switzerland, the United Arab Emirates, and the new AWS Region in New Zealand. The new AWS Asia Pacific (Auckland) Region will enable even more developers, startups, and enterprises as well as government, education, and nonprofit organizations to run their applications and serve end users from data centers located in New Zealand, ensuring that customers who want to keep their data in New Zealand are able to do so. AWS also released an economic
In our pressroom you can read all our latest releases, find our press contacts, images, documents and other relevant information about us.Visit our pressroom