Coty Announces Consolidation of Fragrance Manufacturing Operations with Intended Closure of Site in Cologne, Germany
Coty Inc. (NYSE: COTY), one of the world’s leading beauty companies today announced the planned closure of its manufacturing site in Cologne, Germany. The move comes as Coty consolidates global fragrance operations.
The Cologne site currently employs approximately 300 people and produces a range of fragrance products. The closure, which will occur in stages, will be preceded by the completion of all appropriate legal processes and is expected to be completed by Summer 2022.
Richard Jones, Chief Global Supply Chain and R&D Officer at Coty, said:
“We have taken this difficult decision to consolidate our fragrance manufacturing capacity in order to increase the efficiency of our operations. Coty is the world’s leader in fragrance, but our network has been operating over-capacity in recent years and the considerable impact of COVID-19 has accelerated the need to take action. This move will address the imbalance to increase our competitiveness and ensure we fully leverage our scale and remaining manufacturing sites. This is a hard but necessary part of the transformation of Coty: building a stronger, leaner and more focused business that’s well-positioned for the long-term.”
Wolfgang Reissner, Coty VP Operations EMEA & General Manager HFC Prestige Manufacturing Cologne Germany GmbH, added: “We appreciate that this will be a very challenging time for our affected employees in Cologne. Our priority now is to work closely with employee representatives on a detailed timeline and process for the employees and the site closure.”
Coty will adapt its other fragrance manufacturing sites as part of its evolving operational approach. In addition to addressing overcapacity, the changes are expected to deliver annual net savings for the company.
Last year, Coty announced a wide-ranging strategy to return the company to profitable growth, reduce net debt, streamline operations and address long-term financial challenges. This approach includes targeting a net reduction in costs of $600 million by the end of FY2023 and delivering more cost-effective and integrated operations. With supply chain optimization across manufacturing, distribution and demand planning expected to contribute over 20% of the targeted $600 million cost savings, today’s announcement presents a necessary step in reaching the company’s goals.
Coty reported strong progress towards the cost reduction targets during its Q1 earnings: delivering approximately $80 million of savings in the first quarter against a target of over $200 million by end of FY2021.
About Coty Inc.
Coty is one of the world’s largest beauty companies with an iconic portfolio of brands across fragrance, color cosmetics, and skin and body care. Coty is the global leader in fragrance and number three in color cosmetics. Coty’s products are sold in over 150 countries around the world. Coty and its brands are committed to a range of social causes as well as seeking to minimize its impact on the environment. For additional information about Coty Inc., please visit www.coty.com.
Forward Looking Statements
Certain statements in this release are “forward-looking statements” within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. These forward-looking statements reflect the Company’s current views with respect to, among other things, the Company’s future operations and strategy (including the expected implementation and related impact of its strategic priorities), and ongoing and future cost efficiency, optimization and restructuring initiatives and programs (including their expected timing, implementation, cost and related impact). These forward-looking statements are generally identified by words or phrases, such as “anticipate”, “are going to”, “estimate”, “plan”, “project”, “expect”, “believe”, “intend”, “foresee”, “forecast”, “will”, “may”, “should”, “outlook”, “continue”, “temporary”, “target”, “aim”, “potential”, “goal” and similar words or phrases. These statements are based on certain assumptions and estimates that we consider reasonable, but are subject to a number of risks and uncertainties, many of which are beyond our control, which could cause actual events or results (including our financial condition, results of operations, cash flows and prospects) to differ materially from such statements, including risks and uncertainties relating to:
- the Company’s ability to successfully implement its multi-year Transformation Plan, including the consolidation of its global fragrance manufacturing operations and supply chain optimization plans, as well as its initiatives to further reduce the Company's cost base, and to develop and achieve its global business strategies (including mix management, select price increases, more disciplined promotions, and foregoing low value sales), compete effectively in the beauty industry, achieve the benefits contemplated by its strategic initiatives (including revenue growth, cost control, gross margin growth and debt deleveraging) and successfully implement its strategic priorities (including innovation performance in prestige and mass channels, strengthening its positions in core markets, accelerating its digital and e-commerce capabilities, building on its skincare portfolio, and expanding its presence in China) in each case within the expected time frame or at all;
- the impact of COVID-19 (or future similar events), including demand for the Company’s products, illness, quarantines, government actions, facility closures, store closures or other restrictions in connection with the COVID-19 pandemic, and the extent and duration thereof, related impact on the Company’s ability to meet customer needs and on the ability of third parties on which the Company relies, including its suppliers, customers, contract manufacturers, distributors, contractors, commercial banks and joint-venture partners, to meet their obligations to the Company, in particular, collections from customers, the extent that government funding and reimbursement programs in connection with COVID-19 are available to the Company, and the ability to successfully implement measures to respond to such impacts;
- managerial, transformational, operational, regulatory, legal and financial risks, including diversion of management attention to and management of cash flows, expenses and costs associated with the Company’s response to COVID-19, its multi-year Transformation Plan, the transition services related to the Wella Business, the integration of acquisitions (including the strategic partnerships with Kylie Jenner and Kim Kardashian West), and future strategic initiatives, and, in particular, the Company’s ability to manage and execute many initiatives simultaneously including any resulting complexity, employee attrition or diversion of resources;
- global political and/or economic uncertainties, disruptions or major regulatory or policy changes, and/or the enforcement thereof that affect the Company’s business, financial performance, operations or products, including the impact of Brexit (and related business or market disruption), the current U.S. administration and recent election, changes in the U.S. tax code, and recent changes and future changes in tariffs, retaliatory or trade protection measures, trade policies and other international trade regulations in the U.S., the European Union and Asia and in other regions where the Company operates;
- disruptions in operations, sales and in other areas, including due to disruptions in the Company’s supply chain, restructurings and other business alignment activities, the completion of the Wella Transaction and related carve-out and transition activities, manufacturing or information technology systems, labor disputes, extreme weather and natural disasters, impact from COVID-19 or similar global public health events and the impact of such disruptions on the Company’s ability to generate profits, stabilize or grow revenues or cash flows, comply with their contractual obligations and accurately forecast demand and supply needs and/or future results;
- restrictions imposed on the Company through its license agreements, credit facilities and senior unsecured bonds or other material contracts, its ability to generate cash flow to repay, refinance or recapitalize debt and otherwise comply with its debt instruments, and changes in the manner in which the Company finances its debt and future capital needs;
- the number, type, outcomes (by judgment, order or settlement) and costs of current or future legal, compliance, tax, regulatory or administrative proceedings, investigations and/or litigation, including litigation relating to the tender offer by Cottage Holdco B.V. (the “Cottage Tender Offer”), and product liability cases (including asbestos); and
- other factors described elsewhere in this document and in documents that the Company files with the SEC from time to time.
When used herein, the term “includes” and “including” means, unless the context otherwise indicates, “including without limitation”. More information about potential risks and uncertainties that could affect the Company’s business and financial results is included under the heading “Risk Factors” and “Management’s Discussion and Analysis of Financial Condition and Results of Operations” in the Company’s Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended June 30, 2020 and other periodic reports the Company has filed and may file with the SEC from time to time.
All forward-looking statements made in this release are qualified by these cautionary statements. These forward-looking statements are made only as of the date of this release, and the Company does not undertake any obligation, other than as may be required by applicable law, to update or revise any forward-looking or cautionary statements to reflect changes in assumptions, the occurrence of events, unanticipated or otherwise, or changes in future operating results over time or otherwise.
Olga Levinzon, +1 212 389-7733 / Olga_Levinzon@cotyinc.com
Angela Lauf, +49 172 751 2680 / Angela_Lauf@cotyinc.com
Antonia Werther, +31 20 29 99 077 / Antonia_Werther@cotyinc.com
About Business Wire
Subscribe to releases from Business Wire
Subscribe to all the latest releases from Business Wire by registering your e-mail address below. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Latest releases from Business Wire
Colicity Inc. Announces Closing of $345 Million Initial Public Offering26.2.2021 23:00:00 CET | Press release
Colicity Inc. (the “Company”) announced the closing today of its initial public offering of 34,500,000 units, including the underwriters’ exercise of their full over-allotment option for 4,500,000 units, at a price of $10.00 per unit. The units are listed on the NASDAQ Stock Market (NASDAQ) and began trading under the ticker symbol “COLIU” on February 24, 2021. Each unit consists of one Class A share and one-fifth of one redeemable warrant, with each whole warrant exercisable to purchase one Class A share at a price of $11.50 per share. Only whole warrants will be exercisable. Once the securities comprising the units begin separate trading, the Class A shares and warrants are expected to be listed on the NASDAQ under the symbols “COLI” and “COLIW,” respectively. Colicity Inc. is a blank check company formed for the purpose of effecting a merger, share exchange, asset acquisition, share purchase, reorganization or similar business combination with one or more businesses. The Company int
C3 AI and Baker Hughes to Provide Enterprise AI Solutions to Accelerate PETRONAS Digital Transformation Program26.2.2021 15:00:00 CET | Press release
C3 AI (NYSE: AI) and Baker Hughes today announced an artificial intelligence (AI) collaboration with PETRONAS, a global energy and solutions company from Malaysia, to apply BakerHughesC3.ai (BHC3) technology across PETRONAS’s strategic digital transformation programs. As the custodian of Malaysia's national oil and gas resources, PETRONAS runs an extensive digital transformation program across energy operations to extract value from data. The adoption of AI as part of its overall program for improved oil and gas productivity, asset integrity, and safety supports PETRONAS’s commitment to provide clean, efficient energy solutions by harnessing the power of technology. PETRONAS will work with energy technology, data science, and AI experts at Baker Hughes and C3 AI to collaborate on projects focused on improved reliability of energy assets in critical operations. Utilizing Microsoft Azure, PETRONAS will deploy the BHC3™ Reliability application to further improve maintenance programs for g
Avania in Position for Next Stage of Growth26.2.2021 14:00:00 CET | Press release
Avania, a leading global full-service contract research organization (CRO) focused on medical technology (MedTech) development, today announced that it has successfully refinanced its existing banking facilities with Crescent Capital Group. “This new banking facility allows us to accelerate our next phase of organic and acquisitive growth over the next few years,” said Edo van Houten, CFO of Avania. “This transaction is also a reflection of the progress we have made in our brand strategy and position in the market, and it demonstrates the confidence of the financial community in our operational and strategic plan.” Avania has navigated confidently through the COVID-19 pandemic, posting a strong year of growth in 2020 despite the pandemic. The company will continue its growth trajectory as a global MedTech-focused CRO, supporting products from concept through post-market support. MedTech is all Avania does, navigating innovative medical technologies to market effectively and efficiently
Ipsen Receives Positive CHMP Opinion Recommending Cabometyx ® in Combination With Opdivo ® as First-line Treatment for Patients Living With Advanced Renal Cell Carcinoma26.2.2021 12:37:00 CET | Press release
Regulatory News: Ipsen (Euronext: IPN; ADR: IPSEY) today announced that the Committee for Medicinal Products for Human Use (CHMP) of the European Medicines Agency (EMA) has recommended approval for Cabometyx® (cabozantinib) in combination with Bristol Myers Squibb’s Opdivo® (nivolumab) for the first-line treatment of advanced renal cell carcinoma (aRCC). The European Commission, which has the authority to approve medicines for the European Union (E.U.), will now review the CHMP recommendation and a final decision on the application in the E.U. is expected in the coming months. “Advanced renal cell carcinoma is a disease that significantly impacts the lives of people around the world. We’re proud to be able to share that the CHMP has confirmed a positive recommendation for Cabometyx® in combination with Opdivo®, bringing this impactful new treatment option one step closer for patients,” said Howard Mayer, Executive Vice President and Head of Research and Development, Ipsen. “At Ipsen, w
Hiro Capital Leads $15 Million of Games VC Investment Into Snowprint Studios, Double Loop Games and Happy Volcano Games26.2.2021 09:55:00 CET | Press release
Three international video game studios are the latest investments for Hiro Capital, the entrepreneur-led Venture Capital fund focused on backing innovators in Video Games, the Metaverse, Esports and Digital Fitness. The three mobile and cross-platform studios – Snowprint in Stockholm/Berlin, Double Loop Games in San Francisco and Happy Volcano in Belgium – will use Hiro’s investment to expand their development pipelines and accelerate global growth. They join UK and US Games studios Flavourworks, Polyarc and Lightfox in the Hiro Capital portfolio, alongside pioneers in the gamification of Games Streaming and Digital Fitness LIV.tv, Edgegap,FitXR and Nurvv. Ian Livingstone, co-founding partner at Hiro Capital, said, "We are excited to begin 2021 by announcing Hiro's investment in three amazing games studios, Snowprint, Double Loop and Happy Volcano. Each studio has demonstrated innovation and expertise in developing fun to play games which resonate with today’s audiences. I’m especially
Inspur Information Releases 2020 Global Computing Index Report26.2.2021 09:07:00 CET | Press release
Inspur Information, a leading IT infrastructure solutions provider, has sponsored an International Data Corporation (IDC) white paper on the 2020 Global Computing Index (henceforth referred to as The Report). As the world’s first index report on computing, The Report unveils the relationship between computing power and economic development and serves as a reference for the outlook of the global digital economy. Global digital transformation has entered a phase marked by exponential growth in innovation, with the size of the digital economy projected to continue on an upward trend. As a key factor that underlies digital technology development, computing is now defining the productivity of the digital economy era. According to The Report, economic growth directly correlates with the development of computing—one point of growth in the computing index translates to a 3.3‰ rise in the size of the digital economy and a 1.8‰ growth in GDP. Specifically, AI computing market share is projected
Incyte Announces the Validation by the European Medicines Agency of its Marketing Authorization Application for Retifanlimab as a Treatment for Patients with Squamous Cell Anal Carcinoma (SCAC)26.2.2021 09:00:00 CET | Press release
Incyte (Nasdaq:INCY) today announced the validation of the Company’s Marketing Authorization Application (MAA) for retifanlimab, an intravenous PD-1 inhibitor, as a potential treatment for adult patients with locally advanced or metastatic squamous cell anal carcinoma (SCAC) who have progressed on, or who are intolerant of, platinum-based chemotherapy. The European Medicines Agency’s (EMA) validation of the MAA confirms that the submission is sufficiently complete to begin the formal review process. “While the incidence of SCAC is increasing in Europe, treatment options for advanced disease are limited in their effectiveness, and there are no approved options once patients have progressed on standard therapy,” said Lance Leopold, M.D., Group Vice President, Immuno-Oncology Clinical Development, Incyte. “The EMA validation of the MAA for retifanlimab – which follows the recent U.S. Food & Drug Administration acceptance of our Biologics License Application for Priority Review – brings us
In our pressroom you can read all our latest releases, find our press contacts, images, documents and other relevant information about us.Visit our pressroom