Desktop Metal Begins Global Shipments of Shop System for Mid-Volume Metal 3D Printing Manufacturing
Desktop Metal, a leader in mass production and turnkey additive manufacturing solutions, today announced the Shop System™, the world’s first metal binder jetting system designed for machine shops, is being manufactured in volume and shipped to customers around the world. With installations underway throughout North America, EMEA and APAC, manufacturers such as Jade Creaction LDA in Portugal, Wall Colmonoy Limited in the UK, Alpha Precision Group in the USA, E.A.C. in France, and Hong Kong Productivity Council (HKPC) in Hong Kong, are leveraging high-quality binder jetting technology to print end-use metal parts in volume and at part costs unattainable with legacy additive manufacturing processes.
This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20201119005313/en/
The Desktop Metal Shop System™, the world's first metal binder jetting system designed for machine shops, is being manufactured in volume and shipped to customers around the world. (Photo: Business Wire)
First unveiled last November at the 2019 Formnext trade conference in Frankfurt, Germany, the Shop System is designed to bring metal additive manufacturing to machine and job shops with an affordable, turnkey solution that achieves exceptional surface finish parts with rich feature detail at speeds up to 10 times those of legacy powder bed fusion additive manufacturing (AM) technologies. With the Shop System, users can now print end-use metal parts for use in a variety of industries spanning from automotive and oil & gas to consumer products and electronics.
“The Shop System offers the most cost-effective, highest resolution mid-volume production solutions in the industry. Its high-speed, single-pass print engine introduces high-quality binder jetting to an entirely new market of machine shops, casting foundries, and powder metal component suppliers,” said Ric Fulop, CEO and co-founder of Desktop Metal. “With the Shop System, engineers and plant operators can now eliminate many of the constraints previously imposed by traditional manufacturing methods, like CNC machining, and achieve affordable, reliable, and flexible batch production of complex parts.”
Many early adopters of the technology are already realizing the potential for expanding their manufacturing efforts.
- Jade Creaction LDA is a leading European company specializing in luxury leather goods, jewelry and watches for several French, Italian and American luxury brands. “Our luxury fashion clients are renowned global brands in the industry, and the Shop System will allow us to quickly respond to their needs with faster production solutions,” said Christophe Pereira, CEO of Jade. “3D printing allows us freedom from multi-stage manufacturing tooling combined with technology innovation that gives our clients’ designers unlimited creative power.”
- AFPMA de l'Ain of France is the training center of the UIMM (French metallurgical industries association) of Ain French region, with the mission to provide skills that meet the needs of industrial companies in the Ain region, through initial and continuous training. “AFPMA has invested in metal additive manufacturing technologies from Desktop Metal in order to deliver the best technical training in AM,” said Patrice Mayoral, AFPMA CEO. “The Shop System and the Studio System are two complementary machines that will allow us to train operators and realize demonstrators to show trainees, thanks to real applications, the possibilities of each machine and technology to understand the impact of the design and process parameters on the global value chain. Being among the first adopters allows us to be part of European and French national working groups in order to develop qualification and certification for additive manufacturing and validate the training processes to be aligned with the industry needs.”
- E.A.C., based in France, started its development in 2002 with Swimwear and Lingerie markets. The company is now more focused on the Luxury markets such as leather, cosmetics, packaging, wines & spirits, and jewelry with worldwide clientele. “By enabling mass production of amazingly intricate geometries, metal binder jetting is about to transform the luxury goods space,” said Patrick Chouvet, Manager E.A.C. “As a pioneer in the use of additive manufacturing in luxury goods for some of the world’s most valuable and iconic brands, E.A.C. has been exploring metal Binder Jetting technology over the past four years. After a comprehensive review and benchmarking of the competitive landscape, we chose the Desktop Metal Shop System for its unparalleled print quality, throughput, and affordability.”
- Cosmind, based in Italy, is a technologically-advanced company with experience and know-how in the fields of sheet metal processing, metallic carpentry, high precision mechanical processing, sheet metal forming and assembly. “Cosmind is highly focused on technological innovations. Throughout the years, we have constantly introduced the latest production technologies,” said Carmine Donisi, CEO of Cosmind. “We strongly believe that Blinder Jetting 3D printing technology is the natural evolution of the manufacturing sector. In Desktop Metal, we have found all the characteristics of quality and innovation that will certainly allow us to diversify our production.”
- VTT Technical Research Center, based in Finland, is a visionary research, development and innovation organization that drives sustainable growth and tackles the biggest global challenges of our time, turning them into opportunities for business growth. “We are excited to work with this new metal Binder Jetting technology that has matured from lab to production,” said Pasi Puukko, Research Team Leader, Advanced Manufacturing at VTT. “We’ll first focus on applications benefitting from this technology, but on the longer run, we are certainly looking also for new material solutions, widening the range of metal AM materials and therefore, better serving our customers’ needs.”
- CETIM, the Technical Centre for Mechanical Engineering Industry, is the leading French leader in the fields of mechanical engineering innovation and R&D, and one of the French leaders on metal additive manufacturing development. “3D printing allows CETIM to design parts with new properties and functionalization like thermal behavior, lightening, customization, electrical performances or tribology optimization,” said Pierre Chalandon, Chief Operations Officer for materials, processes and industrialization at CETIM. “Metal binder jetting technology is opening new opportunities -- no tooling process, increasing production capacities, decreasing the global cost, and allowing new materials. Desktop Metal technologies, including the new Shop System, completes our additive manufacturing machines park. We chose to be one the first Shop System adopters, because we are convinced it is now possible for metal binder jetting to decrease the global cost, increase the production rate, increase the quality and definition and accuracy, develop new materials and simulate the process -- especially sintering -- to control the capability and the quality.”
Delivering High-quality Binder Jetting to the Machine Shop Market
The Shop System offers reliable production of serial batches of complex, end-use metal parts in a fraction of the time and cost of conventional manufacturing and comparably priced AM technologies. Featuring the highest resolution and most advanced print engine in the binder jetting market, the Shop System is a complete end-to-end solution that includes a single pass, binder jetting printer; a drying oven for hardening green parts prior to depowdering; a powder station for depowdering parts with built-in powder recycling; Desktop Metal’s furnace designed for accessible, industrial-strength sintering; and integrated powder handling accessories and workflow. This turnkey solution together seamlessly integrates with existing shop operations.
Key Shop System benefits include:
- Easy to use and operate. Designed with the modern machine shop in mind, the Shop System produces parts with excellent surface finish and resolution at the push of a button through its easy-to-use software interface. It features engineered powders and processing parameters optimized for use with the system to deliver exceptional quality and ensure repeatability.
- High productivity. Featuring a high-speed, single pass print carriage, the Shop System produces high-quality, complex metal parts up to 10 times the speed and at a fraction of the cost of legacy PBF additive manufacturing technologies, amplifying customers' existing output with up to hundreds of end-use metal parts per day. Speeds up to 800 cc/hour at 75-micron layer thickness, enables batches of tens or hundreds of complex printed parts in as little as five hours.
- Superior print quality. Customers can print dense, complex parts with incredibly fine feature detail and surface finishes as low as four-micron roughness average (Ra) out of the furnace due to the Shop System's high-resolution printhead - made possible through droplet sizes as small as 1.2pL, with drop multiplexing up to 6pL.
- Rich feature detail with exceptional surface finish. Achieved through an advanced single pass printhead with 1600 native DPI, the Shop System delivers 400% higher resolution than legacy binder jetting systems. Reliable print quality is supported by the printhead’s 5x nozzle redundancy -- 25 percent higher redundancy than comparable binder jetting systems.
Binder Jetting Technology Ushers in Additive Manufacturing 2.0
As a solution for mid-volume parts production through AM, the Shop System is a critical element of the Additive Manufacturing 2.0 revolution that is reshaping the future of manufacturing. As the emergence of AM 2.0 enables throughput, repeatability, and part costs that can compete with conventional manufacturing processes, the additive manufacturing sector is expected to surge from $12 billion in 2019 to an estimated value of $146 billion by the end of the decade1.
“Many of the benefits that have long been touted for 3D printing - mass customization, complex geometries, lightweighting, assembly consolidation, tool-free manufacturing, digital inventories, and more - all come bundled as part of AM 2.0,” said Fulop. “Taken together, this suite of benefits represents a new approach to the way metal parts are being designed, prototyped and now, with the Shop System, manufactured.”
Shop System Availability
With variable build box configurations ranging from 4L, 8L, 12L, and 16L, the Shop System is designed to scale throughput to each shop’s needs. Pricing starts at $166,500 for the 4L printer (350 x 220 x 50mm) and up to $241,500 for the 16L printer (350 x 220 x 200mm). In addition with the Shop System’s end-to-end hardware solution, customers will gain access to Desktop Metal’s Fabricate MFG™ build preparation software, as well as to the Company’s newly-released Live Sinter™ application, a sintering process simulation software that corrects for shrinkage and distortion of binder jet 3D printed parts during sintering, minimizing process trial and error while improving accuracy. For more information on the Shop System, visit https://www.desktopmetal.com/products/shop.
About Desktop Metal
Desktop Metal, Inc., based in Burlington, Massachusetts, is accelerating the transformation of manufacturing with end-to-end 3D printing solutions. Founded in 2015 by leaders in advanced manufacturing, metallurgy, and robotics, the company is addressing the unmet challenges of speed, cost, and quality to make 3D printing an essential tool for engineers and manufacturers around the world. Desktop Metal was selected as one of the world’s 30 most promising Technology Pioneers by the World Economic Forum; named to MIT Technology Review’s list of 50 Smartest Companies; and recognized among the most important innovations in engineering in Popular Science’s “Best of What’s New.” For more information, visit www.desktopmetal.com.
Based on Wohlers Report 2020, Wohlers Associates
Desktop Metal, Inc.
Lynda McKinney, 978-224-1282
About Business Wire
Subscribe to releases from Business Wire
Subscribe to all the latest releases from Business Wire by registering your e-mail address below. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Latest releases from Business Wire
PPC Upgraded to ‘B’ with ‘Stable’ Outlook by S&P4.12.2020 15:16:00 CET | Press release
In its annual research update released on 27 November 2020, S&P upgraded PPC’s stand-alone credit profile (SACP) upward by two notches to ‘B’ from ‘CCC+’, resulting in an overall upgrade of the long-term credit rating of PPC to ‘B’ from ‘B-‘. According to S&P the two notch upgrade in PPC’s standalone corporate rating confirms that the Company’s strategic repositioning and the improved Greek energy market fundamentals have transformed its competitive position, reducing past concerns over its liquidity and long-term sustainability. The ‘Stable’ outlook underscores S&P’s expectation that PPC will continue to deliver on its transformation plan, with solid liquidity and improved margins. PPC’s strategic plan to convert its generation mix toward lower carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions improve its fleet competitiveness and long-term prospects. As mentioned in their report, S&P expects a substantial increase in EBITDA and improvement in credit metrics on the back of higher profitability as PPC ac
Chengdu Launches Online Exhibition of History and Culture to Enhance Cultural Ties With European Countries4.12.2020 13:17:00 CET | Press release
The launching ceremony of Chengdu History and Culture Overseas Virtual Exhibition was held by the Chengdu Chronicles Compilation Committee at Chengdu Chronicles Office on 24 November. The event, along with the unveiling ceremony of Chengdu Chronicles Culture Overseas (Europe) Exchange Cooperation, were witnessed by distinguished guests in many European countries including the Netherlands, Germany and Belgium through video and online connections. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20201204005278/en/ On November 24, Gao Zhigang (center), Director of Chengdu Chronicles Compilation Committee at Chengdu Chronicles Office, and other guests attend the launching ceremony of Chengdu History and Culture Overseas Virtual Exhibition. (Photo: Business Wire) Chengdu History and Culture Overseas Virtual Exhibition will also be launched at major foreign media platforms for audiences all over the world. Gao ZhiGang, Director of Che
New Phase 3 Data Show TAK-620 (maribavir), an Investigational Drug for the Treatment of Transplant Recipients with Refractory/Resistant Cytomegalovirus (CMV) Infections, Meets Primary Endpoint4.12.2020 12:00:00 CET | Press release
Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited (TSE:4502/NYSE:TAK) (“Takeda”) today announced top-line results from the Phase 3 clinical trial evaluating the efficacy and safety of the investigational drug TAK-620 (maribavir), in the treatment of transplant recipients with refractory/resistant cytomegalovirus (CMV) infection. The TAK-620-303 (SOLSTICE) trial (NCT02931539) is a multicenter, randomized, open-label, active-controlled trial comparing eight weeks of treatment with either maribavir or investigator assigned treatment (IAT) in transplant recipients with CMV infection refractory or resistant to existing antiviral treatments (i.e., one or a combination of ganciclovir, valganciclovir, foscarnet or cidofovir). The SOLSTICE trial met its primary endpoint, defined as the proportion of patients who achieved confirmed CMV viremia clearance compared to IAT at the end of Study week 8. In addition, the SOLSTICE trial met its key secondary endpoint, defined as achievement of CMV viremia clearance
Janssen Submits Marketing Authorisation Extension to the European Medicines Agency to Register Paliperidone Palmitate 6-Monthly (PP6M) for Treatment of Schizophrenia in Adults4.12.2020 10:01:00 CET | Press release
The Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson submitted a Marketing Authorisation Extension Application to the European Medicines Agency (EMA) to register paliperidone palmitate 6-monthly (PP6M) for the maintenance treatment of schizophrenia in adult patients who are clinically stable on paliperidone palmitate 1‑monthly (PP1M)1 or 3-monthly (PP3M)2 injectable products. If approved, this long‑acting injectable will provide adults living with schizophrenia a twice-yearly dosing regimen, the longest dosing interval available for an antipsychotic medication in the European Economic Area.3 “Janssen’s roots in neuroscience began with research and development of novel therapeutic options for schizophrenia, and this filing builds on that 60-year commitment,” said Bill Martin, Global Therapeutic Area Head, Neuroscience, Janssen Research & Development, LLC. “We designed this unique dosing regimen so people with schizophrenia and their healthcare team can focus less on medication inte
Patrice Bula to be appointed as new Chairman of Froneri4.12.2020 09:30:00 CET | Press release
After more than 4 years as Chairman of Froneri, Luis Cantarell has expressed his desire to step down at the end of December 2020. Luis’s strategic vision, in-depth knowledge of the Ice Cream business as well as his energizing and inspirational leadership were decisive factors in the forming and ensuing success of Froneri, a joint-venture partnership between Nestlé and PAI Partners created in September 2016. Under Luis’s leadership, Froneri has achieved rapid sales and profit growth, steadily gaining market shares. With presence in 23 markets, a portfolio of iconic brands and an exceptional management team, Froneri is now well-placed to achieve global leadership in the Ice Cream category. To replace Luis, we are pleased to announce the nomination of Patrice Bula, currently Executive Vice President at Nestlé and a Supervisory Board Member of Froneri, and this since its creation. With a rich career spanning more than 40 years with Nestlé SA, of which the last 10 as Executive Vice Presiden
Xlife Sciences AG: Successful Capital Raising of Six Million Swiss Francs4.12.2020 09:00:00 CET | Press release
Capital increase of Xlife Sciences AG Successful capital raising of six million Swiss francs Xlife Sciences AG has successfully closed its capital increase and raised a total of 6.02 million Swiss Francs of new capital as of December 3, 2020. The placement was oversubscribed at the end of the subscription period. The management of the company sees the strong demand as a confirmation for its business model. The capital will be used almost exclusively for existing and new projects. In the capital round completed on December 3, 2020, existing and new investors subscribed for shares with a total value of CHF 6.02 million. For Oliver R. Baumann, CEO of Xlife Sciences AG, the high demand of investors is a confirmation of the successful business model. "The strong interest of investors shows that our company, with its strategy of holding and developing a broad portfolio of early-stage life science projects is an attractive investment even in challenging times such as the corona crisis". Inves
Rand Technology Appoints Key Executives Across Global Regions4.12.2020 00:30:00 CET | Press release
Rand Technology (Rand) has appointed Kim Fix, Chief Operating Officer (COO), Americas & Europe; Frederick Fu, President and Managing Director, Asia-Pacific (APAC); Nami Mokri, Vice President, Sales & Sourcing, APAC; Kevin Sheehan, Chief Information Officer (CIO); and Jennifer Strawn, Director, Sourcing & Procurement, Americas & Europe. Kim Fix, Global Vice President, QA & Operations, has been appointed to COO, Americas & Europe. Kim will lead Rand’s sales and sourcing teams’ operations across the Americas and Europe and oversee global compliance, quality assurance, and operations. Kim has been integral to Rand’s preferred status with its business partners and multi-site ISO, OHSAS, ANSI ESD, and R2 certifications. Frederick Fu joined Rand as President and Managing Director, APAC. He previously served as Avnet’s President of APAC. He has been fundamental to Rand’s efficacy, growth, strategy, and success in the APAC region. Nami Mokri was appointed Vice President, Sales & Sourcing, APAC.
In our pressroom you can read all our latest releases, find our press contacts, images, documents and other relevant information about us.Visit our pressroom