Desktop Metal Begins Global Shipments of Shop System for Mid-Volume Metal 3D Printing Manufacturing
Desktop Metal, a leader in mass production and turnkey additive manufacturing solutions, today announced the Shop System™, the world’s first metal binder jetting system designed for machine shops, is being manufactured in volume and shipped to customers around the world. With installations underway throughout North America, EMEA and APAC, manufacturers such as Jade Creaction LDA in Portugal, Wall Colmonoy Limited in the UK, Alpha Precision Group in the USA, E.A.C. in France, and Hong Kong Productivity Council (HKPC) in Hong Kong, are leveraging high-quality binder jetting technology to print end-use metal parts in volume and at part costs unattainable with legacy additive manufacturing processes.
This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20201119005313/en/
The Desktop Metal Shop System™, the world's first metal binder jetting system designed for machine shops, is being manufactured in volume and shipped to customers around the world. (Photo: Business Wire)
First unveiled last November at the 2019 Formnext trade conference in Frankfurt, Germany, the Shop System is designed to bring metal additive manufacturing to machine and job shops with an affordable, turnkey solution that achieves exceptional surface finish parts with rich feature detail at speeds up to 10 times those of legacy powder bed fusion additive manufacturing (AM) technologies. With the Shop System, users can now print end-use metal parts for use in a variety of industries spanning from automotive and oil & gas to consumer products and electronics.
“The Shop System offers the most cost-effective, highest resolution mid-volume production solutions in the industry. Its high-speed, single-pass print engine introduces high-quality binder jetting to an entirely new market of machine shops, casting foundries, and powder metal component suppliers,” said Ric Fulop, CEO and co-founder of Desktop Metal. “With the Shop System, engineers and plant operators can now eliminate many of the constraints previously imposed by traditional manufacturing methods, like CNC machining, and achieve affordable, reliable, and flexible batch production of complex parts.”
Many early adopters of the technology are already realizing the potential for expanding their manufacturing efforts.
- Jade Creaction LDA is a leading European company specializing in luxury leather goods, jewelry and watches for several French, Italian and American luxury brands. “Our luxury fashion clients are renowned global brands in the industry, and the Shop System will allow us to quickly respond to their needs with faster production solutions,” said Christophe Pereira, CEO of Jade. “3D printing allows us freedom from multi-stage manufacturing tooling combined with technology innovation that gives our clients’ designers unlimited creative power.”
- AFPMA de l'Ain of France is the training center of the UIMM (French metallurgical industries association) of Ain French region, with the mission to provide skills that meet the needs of industrial companies in the Ain region, through initial and continuous training. “AFPMA has invested in metal additive manufacturing technologies from Desktop Metal in order to deliver the best technical training in AM,” said Patrice Mayoral, AFPMA CEO. “The Shop System and the Studio System are two complementary machines that will allow us to train operators and realize demonstrators to show trainees, thanks to real applications, the possibilities of each machine and technology to understand the impact of the design and process parameters on the global value chain. Being among the first adopters allows us to be part of European and French national working groups in order to develop qualification and certification for additive manufacturing and validate the training processes to be aligned with the industry needs.”
- E.A.C., based in France, started its development in 2002 with Swimwear and Lingerie markets. The company is now more focused on the Luxury markets such as leather, cosmetics, packaging, wines & spirits, and jewelry with worldwide clientele. “By enabling mass production of amazingly intricate geometries, metal binder jetting is about to transform the luxury goods space,” said Patrick Chouvet, Manager E.A.C. “As a pioneer in the use of additive manufacturing in luxury goods for some of the world’s most valuable and iconic brands, E.A.C. has been exploring metal Binder Jetting technology over the past four years. After a comprehensive review and benchmarking of the competitive landscape, we chose the Desktop Metal Shop System for its unparalleled print quality, throughput, and affordability.”
- Cosmind, based in Italy, is a technologically-advanced company with experience and know-how in the fields of sheet metal processing, metallic carpentry, high precision mechanical processing, sheet metal forming and assembly. “Cosmind is highly focused on technological innovations. Throughout the years, we have constantly introduced the latest production technologies,” said Carmine Donisi, CEO of Cosmind. “We strongly believe that Blinder Jetting 3D printing technology is the natural evolution of the manufacturing sector. In Desktop Metal, we have found all the characteristics of quality and innovation that will certainly allow us to diversify our production.”
- VTT Technical Research Center, based in Finland, is a visionary research, development and innovation organization that drives sustainable growth and tackles the biggest global challenges of our time, turning them into opportunities for business growth. “We are excited to work with this new metal Binder Jetting technology that has matured from lab to production,” said Pasi Puukko, Research Team Leader, Advanced Manufacturing at VTT. “We’ll first focus on applications benefitting from this technology, but on the longer run, we are certainly looking also for new material solutions, widening the range of metal AM materials and therefore, better serving our customers’ needs.”
- CETIM, the Technical Centre for Mechanical Engineering Industry, is the leading French leader in the fields of mechanical engineering innovation and R&D, and one of the French leaders on metal additive manufacturing development. “3D printing allows CETIM to design parts with new properties and functionalization like thermal behavior, lightening, customization, electrical performances or tribology optimization,” said Pierre Chalandon, Chief Operations Officer for materials, processes and industrialization at CETIM. “Metal binder jetting technology is opening new opportunities -- no tooling process, increasing production capacities, decreasing the global cost, and allowing new materials. Desktop Metal technologies, including the new Shop System, completes our additive manufacturing machines park. We chose to be one the first Shop System adopters, because we are convinced it is now possible for metal binder jetting to decrease the global cost, increase the production rate, increase the quality and definition and accuracy, develop new materials and simulate the process -- especially sintering -- to control the capability and the quality.”
Delivering High-quality Binder Jetting to the Machine Shop Market
The Shop System offers reliable production of serial batches of complex, end-use metal parts in a fraction of the time and cost of conventional manufacturing and comparably priced AM technologies. Featuring the highest resolution and most advanced print engine in the binder jetting market, the Shop System is a complete end-to-end solution that includes a single pass, binder jetting printer; a drying oven for hardening green parts prior to depowdering; a powder station for depowdering parts with built-in powder recycling; Desktop Metal’s furnace designed for accessible, industrial-strength sintering; and integrated powder handling accessories and workflow. This turnkey solution together seamlessly integrates with existing shop operations.
Key Shop System benefits include:
- Easy to use and operate. Designed with the modern machine shop in mind, the Shop System produces parts with excellent surface finish and resolution at the push of a button through its easy-to-use software interface. It features engineered powders and processing parameters optimized for use with the system to deliver exceptional quality and ensure repeatability.
- High productivity. Featuring a high-speed, single pass print carriage, the Shop System produces high-quality, complex metal parts up to 10 times the speed and at a fraction of the cost of legacy PBF additive manufacturing technologies, amplifying customers' existing output with up to hundreds of end-use metal parts per day. Speeds up to 800 cc/hour at 75-micron layer thickness, enables batches of tens or hundreds of complex printed parts in as little as five hours.
- Superior print quality. Customers can print dense, complex parts with incredibly fine feature detail and surface finishes as low as four-micron roughness average (Ra) out of the furnace due to the Shop System's high-resolution printhead - made possible through droplet sizes as small as 1.2pL, with drop multiplexing up to 6pL.
- Rich feature detail with exceptional surface finish. Achieved through an advanced single pass printhead with 1600 native DPI, the Shop System delivers 400% higher resolution than legacy binder jetting systems. Reliable print quality is supported by the printhead’s 5x nozzle redundancy -- 25 percent higher redundancy than comparable binder jetting systems.
Binder Jetting Technology Ushers in Additive Manufacturing 2.0
As a solution for mid-volume parts production through AM, the Shop System is a critical element of the Additive Manufacturing 2.0 revolution that is reshaping the future of manufacturing. As the emergence of AM 2.0 enables throughput, repeatability, and part costs that can compete with conventional manufacturing processes, the additive manufacturing sector is expected to surge from $12 billion in 2019 to an estimated value of $146 billion by the end of the decade1.
“Many of the benefits that have long been touted for 3D printing - mass customization, complex geometries, lightweighting, assembly consolidation, tool-free manufacturing, digital inventories, and more - all come bundled as part of AM 2.0,” said Fulop. “Taken together, this suite of benefits represents a new approach to the way metal parts are being designed, prototyped and now, with the Shop System, manufactured.”
Shop System Availability
With variable build box configurations ranging from 4L, 8L, 12L, and 16L, the Shop System is designed to scale throughput to each shop’s needs. Pricing starts at $166,500 for the 4L printer (350 x 220 x 50mm) and up to $241,500 for the 16L printer (350 x 220 x 200mm). In addition with the Shop System’s end-to-end hardware solution, customers will gain access to Desktop Metal’s Fabricate MFG™ build preparation software, as well as to the Company’s newly-released Live Sinter™ application, a sintering process simulation software that corrects for shrinkage and distortion of binder jet 3D printed parts during sintering, minimizing process trial and error while improving accuracy. For more information on the Shop System, visit https://www.desktopmetal.com/products/shop.
About Desktop Metal
Desktop Metal, Inc., based in Burlington, Massachusetts, is accelerating the transformation of manufacturing with end-to-end 3D printing solutions. Founded in 2015 by leaders in advanced manufacturing, metallurgy, and robotics, the company is addressing the unmet challenges of speed, cost, and quality to make 3D printing an essential tool for engineers and manufacturers around the world. Desktop Metal was selected as one of the world’s 30 most promising Technology Pioneers by the World Economic Forum; named to MIT Technology Review’s list of 50 Smartest Companies; and recognized among the most important innovations in engineering in Popular Science’s “Best of What’s New.” For more information, visit www.desktopmetal.com.
Based on Wohlers Report 2020, Wohlers Associates
Desktop Metal, Inc.
Lynda McKinney, 978-224-1282
About Business Wire
Subscribe to releases from Business Wire
Subscribe to all the latest releases from Business Wire by registering your e-mail address below. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Latest releases from Business Wire
Tanner Pharma Group Expands Ex-US Access Program to Provide LEUKINE® for Use in Patients with Respiratory Illness Associated with COVID-198.3.2021 16:53:00 CET | Press release
Tanner Pharma Group (Tanner) today announced expansion of the LEUKINE Access Program (LeAP) as a channel for distribution of LEUKINE® (sargramostim) in international markets. LEUKINE®, approved by the US FDA in 1991 and now manufactured by Partner Therapeutics (PTx), is a recombinant granulocyte macrophage colony-stimulating factor (GM-CSF) that stimulates the immune system and has been used in leukemia patients to reduce the risk of infection. PTx recently announced that a clinical trial of Leukine® conducted in Belgium of hospitalized COVID-19 patients suffering from acute hypoxic respiratory failure requiring supplemental oxygen met the primary endpoint of significant improvement in lung function. Improvement in oxygenation of at least 33% or more from baseline was seen in 54% of patients on the LEUKINE® plus standard-of-care (SOC) arm versus 26% of patients on SOC (p=.0147). Tanner provides a regulatory-compliant pathway to make LEUKINE® available in international markets. If a pat
H.I.G. Capital Expands European WhiteHorse Team with the Addition of Laurent Vaille and Charles Bourgeois8.3.2021 16:30:00 CET | Press release
H.I.G. Capital, LLC ("H.I.G."), a leading global alternative investment firm with over €35 billion of equity capital under management, is pleased to announce the expansion of its European WhiteHorse team with the addition of Laurent Vaille and Charles Bourgeois as Principals. Laurent will be based in H.I.G.’s London office, and Charles is based in H.I.G.’s Paris office. Laurent has 13 years of experience in direct lending and corporate finance. He was previously an Executive Director in the Private Debt division of Tikehau Capital in Paris. Prior to that, he worked for Ernst & Young and Deloitte Finance. Charles has 13 years of experience in direct lending and corporate finance. Prior to joining H.I.G., he was an Executive Director in the Private Debt division of Tikehau Capital in Paris. He was previously with GE Capital in the leveraged finance division, after working at SG and LD&A Jupiter. Commenting on the hire, Pascal Meysson, Head of H.I.G. WhiteHorse Europe, said, “Hiring profe
PerkinElmer Adds HPLC Columns to Consumables Portfolio8.3.2021 16:22:00 CET | Press release
PerkinElmer, Inc., a global leader committed to innovating for a healthier world, today announced that it has added state-of-the-art columns and chemistries to its LC consumables portfolio by acquiring ES Industries, based in West Berlin, New Jersey in the U.S. ES Industries is known for its innovative and highly efficient HPLC and supercritical fluid chromatography (SFC) column chemistries. The team has over 40 years of experience delivering columns with superior reliability, scalability, and reproducibility that are used routinely for method development processes, LC/MS analysis, quality control and preparative purification. Building on PerkinElmer’s https://cts.businesswire.com/ct/CT?id=smartlink&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.perkinelmer.com%2Fcategory%2Fliquid-chromatography-hplc-uhplc-instruments&esheet=52392346&newsitemid=20210308005611&lan=en-US&anchor=recently+announced+LC+300TM+HPLC%2FUHPLC+and+SimplicityChromTM+CDS+solution&index=3&md5=8aaa6199b7c1a347615a2b8ae0dd87b1 recently announ
Veristat Congratulates Origin Biosciences for FDA Approval of Nulibry During the Week of Rare Disease Day 20218.3.2021 15:25:00 CET | Press release
Veristat, a scientific-minded, global clinical research organization (CRO), today congratulated Origin Biosciences for their FDA approval of Nulibry (fosdenopterin) for injection as the first therapy to reduce the risk of mortality in patients with molybdenum cofactor deficiency (MoCD) Type A. This rare disease product received FDA approval on Friday, 26 February 2021, during the week when the world celebrated #RareDiseaseDay2021. Veristat’s biostatisticians, programmers, and medical writers collaborated with Origin Biosciences to support the New Drug Application (NDA) for Nulibry. The entire Veristat team is honored to know that the hard work and perseverance of the combined Origin/Veristat team brought new hope for children whose lives are shortened by the devastating disease MoCD Type A. “We thank the entire Veristat team who worked diligently to help us bring this critical therapy to patients with no other FDA-approved treatment options,” said Dr. Liza Squires, Origin Chief Medical
CBS News “Global Thought Leaders” Series Features Echosens: Video Showcases FibroScan ® as Medical Gold Standard8.3.2021 15:01:00 CET | Press release
Echosens, a high-technology company offering the FibroScan® family of products, is pleased to announce that it has been chosen for the “Global Thought Leaders” series broadcast on CBS News. View a short video highlighting the Company’s groundbreaking work in the development of vital medical resources, including FibroScan®, a noninvasive solution for measuring liver elasticity and fat content of the liver at the point of care. “We’re pleased to be selected by CBS News and proud of the video created at our international headquarters in Paris which captures the essence of Echosens, including interviews with some of our top leaders and a clinician performing a FibroScan® exam with her patient,” says Dominique Legros, Group CEO, Echosens. “Reliable, accurate and affordable, FibroScan® is designed to address a growing liver disease epidemic. Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) affects approximately 25% of the worldwide population and as many as 6% are affected by NASH, which is expected
Infor and C3 AI Form Strategic Partnership to Deliver Scalable Enterprise AI Industry Applications8.3.2021 15:00:00 CET | Press release
C3 AI (NYSE: AI), a leading enterprise AI software provider, and Infor, an ERP technology cloud leader, today announced a wide-ranging strategic alliance designed to jointly expand enterprise-class artificial intelligence (AI) solutions across applicable industries to extend Infor’s native machine learning capabilities. This will allow Infor to explore expansion of its industry offerings into edge scenarios and analyze ways to provide deeper capabilities beyond standard Infor offerings. Infor plans to market, license, and deploy C3 AI prebuilt solutions to Infor customers under the Infor brand and to explore new solutions using the C3 AI® Suite. Infor and C3 AI expect to leverage both companies’ existing digital portfolios to collaborate on new integrated enterprise AI applications that can support specific industry needs. The initial focus will be on predictive maintenance surrounding Internet of Things (IoT) systems with the goal of providing a more proactive and accurate maintenance
NielsenIQ Establishes Independence as a Standalone Company8.3.2021 15:00:00 CET | Press release
Today, NielsenIQ begins its next chapter as an independent company with the closing of its acquisition by Advent International in partnership with incoming Executive Chairman and CEO James “Jim” Peck. As a standalone business, NielsenIQ is better positioned to accelerate its transformation and strengthen its market-leading position. To move forward as a definitive leader in the FMCG industry and usher in a new era of technological advancements and innovation, three new leaders will join NielsenIQ. Mohit Kapoor joins as Chief Technology Officer, overseeing all aspects of technology. Steve Matthesen, a Nielsen veteran, joins as Chief Strategy Officer to help develop and execute the corporate strategy and other key initiatives. Curt Miller joins as Chief Transformation Officer to drive organizational alignment that supports NielsenIQ’s growth strategy. “NielsenIQ has a unique opportunity to become a nimble partner with the flexibility to increase strategic investments and innovation in th
In our pressroom you can read all our latest releases, find our press contacts, images, documents and other relevant information about us.Visit our pressroom