Global Cloud Index Projects Cloud Traffic to Represent 95 Percent of Total Data Center Traffic by 2021
Cloud Service Adoption Creates New Data Center Demands
SAN JOSE, Calif., Feb. 05, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Today, Cisco released the seventh annual Cisco® Global Cloud Index (2016-2021). The updated report focuses on data center virtualization and cloud computing, which have become fundamental elements in transforming how many business and consumer network services are delivered.
According to the study, both consumer and business applications are contributing to the growing dominance of cloud services over the Internet. For consumers, streaming video, social networking, and Internet search are among the most popular cloud applications. For business users, enterprise resource planning (ERP), collaboration, analytics, and other digital enterprise applications represent leading growth areas.
Strong Multicloud Traffic Growth Projected
Driven by surging cloud applications, data center traffic is growing fast. The study forecasts global cloud data center traffic to reach 19.5 zettabytes (ZB) per year by 2021, up from 6.0 ZB per year in 2016 (3.3-fold growth or a 27 percent compound annual growth rate [CAGR] from 2016 to 2021). Globally, cloud data center traffic will represent 95 percent of total data center traffic by 2021, compared to 88 percent in 2016.
Improved Security and IoT Fuel Cloud Growth
In the past, security concerns have been a major barrier to cloud adoption. Improvements in data center governance and data control have helped to minimize enterprise risk and better protect consumer information. Security innovations coupled with tangible cloud computing benefits, including scalability and economies of scale, play key roles in fueling the cloud growth projected in the study. Additionally, the growth of Internet of Things (IoT) applications such as smart cars, smart cities, connected health and digital utilities requires scalable computing and storage solutions to accommodate new and expanding data center demands. By 2021, Cisco expects IoT connections to reach 13.7 billion, up from 5.8 billion in 2016.
Hyperscale Data Centers Doubling
The increasing need for data center and cloud resources has led to the development of large-scale public cloud data centers called hyperscale data centers. In this year's forecast, it is expected that by 2021 there will be 628 hyperscale data centers globally, compared to 338 in 2016, 1.9-fold growth or near doubling over the forecast period. By 2021, hyperscale data centers will support:
- 53 percent of all data center servers (27 percent in 2016)
- 69 percent of all data center processing power (41 percent in 2016)
- 65 percent of all data stored in data centers (51 percent in 2016)
- 55 percent of all data center traffic (39 percent in 2016)
"Data center application growth is clearly exploding in this new multicloud world. This projected growth will require new innovations especially in the areas of public, private and hybrid clouds," said Kip Compton, Vice President of Cisco's Cloud Platform and Solutions Group.
Global Cloud Index Highlights and Key Projections:
1. Data center virtualization and cloud computing growth
- By 2021, 94 percent of workloads and compute instances will be processed by cloud data centers; 6 percent will be processed by traditional data centers.
- Overall data center workloads and compute instances will more than double (2.3-fold) from 2016 to 2021; however, cloud workloads and compute instances will nearly triple (2.7-fold) over the same period.
- The workload and compute instance density for cloud data centers was 8.8 in 2016 and will grow to 13.2 by 2021. Comparatively, for traditional data centers, workload and compute instance density was 2.4 in 2016 and will grow to 3.8 by 2021.
2. Growth in stored data fueled by big data and IoT
- Globally, the data stored in data centers will nearly quintuple by 2021 to reach 1.3 ZB by 2021, up 4.6-fold (a CAGR of 36%) from 286 EB in 2016.
- Big data will reach 403 exabytes (EB) by 2021, up almost 8-fold from 25 EB in 2016. Big data will represent 30 percent of data stored in data centers by 2021, up from 18 percent in 2016.
- The amount of data stored on devices will be 4.5 times higher than data stored in data centers, at 5.9 ZB by 2021.
- Driven largely by IoT, the total amount of data created (and not necessarily stored) by any device will reach 847 ZB per year by 2021, up from 218 ZB per year in 2016. Data created is two orders of magnitude higher than data stored.
3. Applications contribute to rise of global data center traffic
- By 2021, big data will account for 20 percent (2.5 ZB annual, 209 EB monthly) of traffic within data centers, compared to 12 percent (593 EB annual, 49 EB monthly) in 2016.
- By 2021, video streaming will account for 10 percent of traffic within data centers, compared to 9 percent in 2016.
- By 2021, video will account for 85 percent of traffic from data centers to end users, compared to 78 percent in 2016.
- By 2021, search will account for 20 percent of traffic within data centers by 2021, compared to 28 percent in 2016.
- By 2021, social networking will account for 22 percent of traffic within data centers, compared to 20 percent in 2016.
4. SaaS most popular cloud service model through 2021
- By 2021, 75 percent (402 million) of the total cloud workloads and compute instances will be SaaS workloads and compute instances, up from 71 percent (141 million) in 2016. (23% CAGR from 2016 to 2021).
- By 2021, 16 percent (85 million) of the total cloud workloads and compute instances will be IaaS workloads and compute instances, down from 21 percent (42 million) in 2016. (15% CAGR from 2016 to 2021).
- By 2021, 9 percent (46 million) of the total cloud workloads and compute instances will be PaaS workloads and compute instances, up from 8% (16 million) in 2016. (23% CAGR from 2016 to 2021).
For the purposes of the study, cloud computing includes platforms that enable ubiquitous, on-demand network access to a shared pool of configurable computing resources (e.g., networks, servers, storage, applications, and services) that can be rapidly provisioned and released with minimal management effort or service provider interaction. Deployment models include private, public, and hybrid clouds. Cloud data centers can be operated by service providers as well as private enterprises.
The Cisco® Global Cloud Index (2016-2021) was developed to estimate global data center and cloud-based traffic growth and trends. The report serves as a complementary resource to existing Internet Protocol (IP) network traffic studies such as the Cisco Visual Networking Index(TM), providing new insights and visibility into emerging trends affecting data centers and cloud architectures. The forecast becomes increasingly important as the network and data center become more intrinsically linked in offering cloud services.
View our infographic: Growth in the Cloud.
Visit the Cisco Global Cloud Index webpage.
Read the Cisco Global Cloud Index, Forecast and Methodology, 2016-2021 White Paper.
Explore the Cisco Global Cloud Index Highlights Tool.
- Review the Cisco Global Cloud Index Supplement and Cloud Readiness Tool.
- Get your questions answered through the Cisco Global Cloud Index Q&A.
- Follow us on Twitter: @CiscoSP360 and through the hashtag #CiscoGCI
- Connect with us on LinkedIn and Twitter.
Cisco welcomes analysts, bloggers, media, regulators, service providers and other interested parties to use Cisco's research with proper attribution: "Source: Cisco Global Cloud Index."
Cisco (NASDAQ:CSCO) is the worldwide technology leader that has been making the Internet work since 1984. Our people, products, and partners help society securely connect and seize tomorrow's digital opportunity today. Discover more at newsroom.cisco.com and follow us on Twitter at @Cisco.
Cisco and the Cisco logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Cisco and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. A listing of Cisco's trademarks can be found at www.cisco.com/go/trademarks. Third-party trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company.
RSS Feed for Cisco: http://newsroom.cisco.com/rss-feeds
Industry Analyst Contact:
Investor Relations Contact:
The issuer of this announcement warrants that they are solely responsible for the content, accuracy and originality of the information contained therein.
Source: Cisco via Globenewswire
Följ NASDAQ OMX
Abonnera på våra pressmeddelanden.
Senaste pressmeddelandena från NASDAQ OMX
Immunicum AB (publ) Announces Appointment of Pawel Kalinski and Inge Marie Svane to Scientific Advisory Board17.9.2018 08:00 | Pressmeddelande
Press Release 17 September 2018 Immunicum AB (publ) Announces Appointment of Pawel Kalinski and Inge Marie Svane to Scientific Advisory Board Immunicum AB (publ; IMMU.ST) announced today the appointment of leading oncology experts to its Scientific Advisory Board with the addition of Pawel Kalinski, MD, PhD, Vice Chair for Translational Research within the Department of Medicine at Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center, and Inge Marie Svane, MD, PhD, Professor, Head of the Clinical Cancer Research programme, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Copenhagen, Director, Centre for Cancer Immunotherapy (CCIT), and consultant in Oncology, Herlev University Hospital. Both Scientific Advisory Board members will serve as a strategic resource to Immunicum as the company continues to advance the clinical development of its lead product, ilixadencel. "We are honored to have such highly specialized experts in the field of immuno-oncology and cell therapy join our Scientific Advisory Board a
Immunicum AB (publ) meddelar att Pawel Kalinski och Inge Marie Svane har valts in i det vetenskapliga rådet17.9.2018 08:00 | Pressmeddelande
Pressmeddelande 17 september 2018 Immunicum AB (publ) meddelar att Pawel Kalinski och Inge Marie Svane har valts in i det vetenskapliga rådet Immunicum AB (publ; IMMU.ST) meddelade i dag att två ledande immun-onkologiska experter har valts in i bolagets vetenskapliga råd för att fungera som strategiska resurser för Immunicum under bolagets fortsatta kliniska utveckling av sin ledande produkt, ilixadencel. Pawel Kalinski, MD, PhD, vice ordförande för translationell forskning vid den medicinska institutionen vid Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center, och Inge Marie Svane, MD, PhD, professor, chef för det kliniska cancerforskningsprogrammet på medicinska fakulteten vid Köpenhamns universitet, chef för Center för cancerimmunterapi (CCIT) samt överläkare inom onkologi, Herlevs universitetssjukhus har valts in i rådet. - Vi är hedrade att ha experter med specialistkompetens inom området immunonkologi och cellterapi i vårt vetenskapliga råd, vilka kan erbjuda ytterligare vägledning när det
Hoylu AB: HOYLU HIRES NEW CTO, SATOSHI NAKAJIMA AND ANNOUNCES EXPANSION INTO JAPAN14.9.2018 08:30 | Pressmeddelande
Malmo, Sweden, September 14, 2018 - Hoylu, a leading enterprise collaboration company, announced today Satoshi Nakajima will join Hoylu in the newly created position, as Chief Technology Officer and President of Hoylu Japan. Nakajima will guide the strategic technology direction and innovation of Hoylu while also leading the new Hoylu office in Tokyo, Japan. "Satoshi is a visionary and world-class technologist who has substantial experience in delivering world class innovations. He is joining the Company as we are extending our reach and expanding into Japan," said Stein Revelsby, CEO. "Satoshi's extensive experience in strategy and delivering technology that support a great user experience will make an immediate impact on the company." Nakajima will serve as President of Hoylu Japan and will report to Stein Revelsby. His leadership will strengthen customer relations and help develop new business among emerging and established Japanese companies while strengthening the global position
Hoylu AB: HOYLU ANSTÄLLER SATOSHI NAKAJIMA SOM NY CTO OCH EXPANDERAR TILL JAPAN14.9.2018 08:30 | Pressmeddelande
Malmö, Sverige, 14 september 2018 - Hoylu, ett ledande företag inom samarbetsmjukvara för företagsmarknaden annonserar idag att Satoshi Nakajima tar anställning som CTO (Chief Technology Officer) och President för Hoylu Japan. Nakajima kommer styra den strategiska inriktningen för företagets produkter och leda innovationsarbetet. Han kommer också leda Hoylus nyöppnade kontor i Tokyo, Japan. Satoshi är en visionär teknologiexpert som har stor erfarenhet av att skapa innovativa lösningar. Han kommer till Hoylu samtidigt som vi utökar marknaden till att även täcka in Japan säger Stein Revelsby, VD. "Satoshis långa och gedigna erfarenhet i strategiska frågor och tekniska lösningar med fokus på användarupplevelse kommer få stor betydelse för oss." Nakajima kommer även att bli President för Hoylu Japan och kommer rapportera till Stein Revelsby. Hans ledarskap kommer stärka existerande kundrelationer och utveckla nya affärer på den japanska marknaden och samtidigt bidra till att flytta fram p
LeoVegas AB: LeoVentures invests in esports betting - Pixel.bet13.9.2018 08:45 | Pressmeddelande
The LeoVegas Group, through its wholly owned investment company LeoVentures Ltd, has acquired 51% of the shares in Pixel Holding Group Ltd, which runs the esports betting operator Pixel.bet. The investment amounts to EUR 1.5 million for 51 percent of the company and is made through a new issue. Pixel.bet's vision is to create the greatest gaming experience in betting on esports www.pixel.bet "Esports is an international and fast-growing area that engages millions of viewers and players every month. With this investment in Pixel.bet we as a Group will gain unique insight into a new and fast-growing segment," comments Gustaf Hagman, LeoVegas' Group CEO and co-founder of LeoVegas Mobile Gaming Group. "In Pixel.bet we have found a passionate team of entrepreneurs who come from the esports community. With its strong technology and mobile-first gaming experience, Pixel.bet is a perfect match for the LeoVegas Mobile Gaming Group. Together we will drive development for the absolute premier exp
LeoVegas AB: LeoVentures investerar i esport betting - Pixel.bet13.9.2018 08:45 | Pressmeddelande
LeoVegas-koncernen har, genom sitt helägda investmentbolag LeoVentures Ltd förvärvat Pixel Holding Group Ltd, som driver esport betting operatören pixel.bet. Investeringen uppgår till 1,5 miljoner euro för 51 procent av bolaget och görs genom en nyemission. Pixel.bets vision är att skapa den främsta spelupplevelsen inom betting på esport www.pixel.bet "Esport är ett internationellt och snabbt växande område som engagerar miljontals tittare och utövare varje månad. Med investeringen i Pixel.bet får vi som koncern en unik inblick i ett nytt och snabbt växande segment.", säger Gustaf Hagman, Group CEO och co-founder av LeoVegas Mobile Gaming Group. "I Pixel.bet fann vi ett passionerat entreprenörsteam som verkligen kommer inifrån esport communityn. Med en riktigt bra teknik och spelupplevelse utvecklad mobile-first är det en perfekt match med LeoVegas Mobile Gaming Group. Tillsammans ska vi driva utveckling för den absolut främsta upplevelsen inom esport betting.", säger Robin Ramm-Ericso
I vårt pressrum kan du läsa de senaste pressmeddelandena, få tillgång till pressmaterial och hitta kontaktinformation.Besök vårt pressrum