Global Cloud Index Projects Cloud Traffic to Represent 95 Percent of Total Data Center Traffic by 2021
Cloud Service Adoption Creates New Data Center Demands
SAN JOSE, Calif., Feb. 05, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Today, Cisco released the seventh annual Cisco® Global Cloud Index (2016-2021). The updated report focuses on data center virtualization and cloud computing, which have become fundamental elements in transforming how many business and consumer network services are delivered.
According to the study, both consumer and business applications are contributing to the growing dominance of cloud services over the Internet. For consumers, streaming video, social networking, and Internet search are among the most popular cloud applications. For business users, enterprise resource planning (ERP), collaboration, analytics, and other digital enterprise applications represent leading growth areas.
Strong Multicloud Traffic Growth Projected
Driven by surging cloud applications, data center traffic is growing fast. The study forecasts global cloud data center traffic to reach 19.5 zettabytes (ZB) per year by 2021, up from 6.0 ZB per year in 2016 (3.3-fold growth or a 27 percent compound annual growth rate [CAGR] from 2016 to 2021). Globally, cloud data center traffic will represent 95 percent of total data center traffic by 2021, compared to 88 percent in 2016.
Improved Security and IoT Fuel Cloud Growth
In the past, security concerns have been a major barrier to cloud adoption. Improvements in data center governance and data control have helped to minimize enterprise risk and better protect consumer information. Security innovations coupled with tangible cloud computing benefits, including scalability and economies of scale, play key roles in fueling the cloud growth projected in the study. Additionally, the growth of Internet of Things (IoT) applications such as smart cars, smart cities, connected health and digital utilities requires scalable computing and storage solutions to accommodate new and expanding data center demands. By 2021, Cisco expects IoT connections to reach 13.7 billion, up from 5.8 billion in 2016.
Hyperscale Data Centers Doubling
The increasing need for data center and cloud resources has led to the development of large-scale public cloud data centers called hyperscale data centers. In this year's forecast, it is expected that by 2021 there will be 628 hyperscale data centers globally, compared to 338 in 2016, 1.9-fold growth or near doubling over the forecast period. By 2021, hyperscale data centers will support:
- 53 percent of all data center servers (27 percent in 2016)
- 69 percent of all data center processing power (41 percent in 2016)
- 65 percent of all data stored in data centers (51 percent in 2016)
- 55 percent of all data center traffic (39 percent in 2016)
"Data center application growth is clearly exploding in this new multicloud world. This projected growth will require new innovations especially in the areas of public, private and hybrid clouds," said Kip Compton, Vice President of Cisco's Cloud Platform and Solutions Group.
Global Cloud Index Highlights and Key Projections:
1. Data center virtualization and cloud computing growth
- By 2021, 94 percent of workloads and compute instances will be processed by cloud data centers; 6 percent will be processed by traditional data centers.
- Overall data center workloads and compute instances will more than double (2.3-fold) from 2016 to 2021; however, cloud workloads and compute instances will nearly triple (2.7-fold) over the same period.
- The workload and compute instance density for cloud data centers was 8.8 in 2016 and will grow to 13.2 by 2021. Comparatively, for traditional data centers, workload and compute instance density was 2.4 in 2016 and will grow to 3.8 by 2021.
2. Growth in stored data fueled by big data and IoT
- Globally, the data stored in data centers will nearly quintuple by 2021 to reach 1.3 ZB by 2021, up 4.6-fold (a CAGR of 36%) from 286 EB in 2016.
- Big data will reach 403 exabytes (EB) by 2021, up almost 8-fold from 25 EB in 2016. Big data will represent 30 percent of data stored in data centers by 2021, up from 18 percent in 2016.
- The amount of data stored on devices will be 4.5 times higher than data stored in data centers, at 5.9 ZB by 2021.
- Driven largely by IoT, the total amount of data created (and not necessarily stored) by any device will reach 847 ZB per year by 2021, up from 218 ZB per year in 2016. Data created is two orders of magnitude higher than data stored.
3. Applications contribute to rise of global data center traffic
- By 2021, big data will account for 20 percent (2.5 ZB annual, 209 EB monthly) of traffic within data centers, compared to 12 percent (593 EB annual, 49 EB monthly) in 2016.
- By 2021, video streaming will account for 10 percent of traffic within data centers, compared to 9 percent in 2016.
- By 2021, video will account for 85 percent of traffic from data centers to end users, compared to 78 percent in 2016.
- By 2021, search will account for 20 percent of traffic within data centers by 2021, compared to 28 percent in 2016.
- By 2021, social networking will account for 22 percent of traffic within data centers, compared to 20 percent in 2016.
4. SaaS most popular cloud service model through 2021
- By 2021, 75 percent (402 million) of the total cloud workloads and compute instances will be SaaS workloads and compute instances, up from 71 percent (141 million) in 2016. (23% CAGR from 2016 to 2021).
- By 2021, 16 percent (85 million) of the total cloud workloads and compute instances will be IaaS workloads and compute instances, down from 21 percent (42 million) in 2016. (15% CAGR from 2016 to 2021).
- By 2021, 9 percent (46 million) of the total cloud workloads and compute instances will be PaaS workloads and compute instances, up from 8% (16 million) in 2016. (23% CAGR from 2016 to 2021).
For the purposes of the study, cloud computing includes platforms that enable ubiquitous, on-demand network access to a shared pool of configurable computing resources (e.g., networks, servers, storage, applications, and services) that can be rapidly provisioned and released with minimal management effort or service provider interaction. Deployment models include private, public, and hybrid clouds. Cloud data centers can be operated by service providers as well as private enterprises.
The Cisco® Global Cloud Index (2016-2021) was developed to estimate global data center and cloud-based traffic growth and trends. The report serves as a complementary resource to existing Internet Protocol (IP) network traffic studies such as the Cisco Visual Networking Index(TM), providing new insights and visibility into emerging trends affecting data centers and cloud architectures. The forecast becomes increasingly important as the network and data center become more intrinsically linked in offering cloud services.
View our infographic: Growth in the Cloud.
Visit the Cisco Global Cloud Index webpage.
Read the Cisco Global Cloud Index, Forecast and Methodology, 2016-2021 White Paper.
Explore the Cisco Global Cloud Index Highlights Tool.
- Review the Cisco Global Cloud Index Supplement and Cloud Readiness Tool.
- Get your questions answered through the Cisco Global Cloud Index Q&A.
- Follow us on Twitter: @CiscoSP360 and through the hashtag #CiscoGCI
- Connect with us on LinkedIn and Twitter.
Cisco welcomes analysts, bloggers, media, regulators, service providers and other interested parties to use Cisco's research with proper attribution: "Source: Cisco Global Cloud Index."
Cisco (NASDAQ:CSCO) is the worldwide technology leader that has been making the Internet work since 1984. Our people, products, and partners help society securely connect and seize tomorrow's digital opportunity today. Discover more at newsroom.cisco.com and follow us on Twitter at @Cisco.
Cisco and the Cisco logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Cisco and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. A listing of Cisco's trademarks can be found at www.cisco.com/go/trademarks. Third-party trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company.
RSS Feed for Cisco: http://newsroom.cisco.com/rss-feeds
Industry Analyst Contact:
Investor Relations Contact:
The issuer of this announcement warrants that they are solely responsible for the content, accuracy and originality of the information contained therein.
Source: Cisco via Globenewswire
Följ NASDAQ OMX
Abonnera på våra pressmeddelanden.
Senaste pressmeddelandena från NASDAQ OMX
Nasdaq Welcomes Dropbox, Inc. (Nasdaq: DBX) to The Nasdaq Stock Market23.3.2018 19:52 | Pressmeddelande
NEW YORK, March 23, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Dropbox, Inc. (Nasdaq:DBX), a leading global collaboration platform, visited the Nasdaq MarketSite in Times Square today in celebration of its initial public offering (IPO) on The Nasdaq Stock Market. Founded in 2007, Dropbox serves more than 500 million registered users across 180 countries. Over the past decade, Dropbox has pioneered the worldwide adoption of file sync and share software and has expanded its product capabilities to help users do their best work. Today, 80% of its 11 million paying customers use Dropbox for work. "Today we're taking an important step in our journey. I'm so grateful to all of our customers and our incredible team for getting us here," said Drew Houston, Co-Founder and Chief Executive Officer. "Nasdaq has always championed innovation and entrepreneurship, and we're thrilled to partner with them as we become a public company." "For more than a decade, Dropbox has transformed how people around the world access
Barings Alternative Investments Expands Aviation Investment Platform Through Partnership with Genesis Aircraft Services23.3.2018 15:00 | Pressmeddelande
CHARLOTTE, N.C., March 23, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Barings Alternative Investments, part of Barings LLC, one of the world's leading financial services firms, announced today the expansion of its aircraft leasing platform on behalf of the firm's institutional fund clients through Genesis Aircraft Services Limited. To facilitate new aircraft acquisitions on behalf of Barings' clients, Genesis will increase existing capabilities to now include all commercial, technical, portfolio and legal management functions required of a full-service premier owner and lessor of commercial aircraft. As part of its increased capabilities, Karl Griffin will join Genesis as Chief Commercial & Investment Officer and will also be appointed to the Genesis Board of Directors effective May 2018; Anna Reimers will join Genesis as Chief Legal Officer; and John McMahon will be appointed to Genesis' Board as an independent director. Griffin is currently the Chief Operating Officer at DAE Capital, an aircraft leasi
Agrisolutions Acquires Trinity23.3.2018 12:00 | Pressmeddelande
HAMILTON, Ontario, March 23, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Venanpri Group's Agrisolutions division, which services the global agricultural marketplace with its Ingersoll and Bellota brands, announced today the acquisition of Trinity Logistics Corporation ("Trinity"). Based in the U.S., Trinity provides supply-chain solutions relating to fasteners and other components to leading global OEMs that produce mission critical machinery for the agricultural and construction end markets. The terms of the transaction were not disclosed. Headquartered in Davenport, Iowa, Trinity has established ten strategically located service facilities throughout the United States. Trinity specializes in the supply of standard and custom components through vendor managed inventory programs and other arrangements tailored to customer needs. Trinity utilizes its industry leading technology to improve the flow of products, services and information across the supply chain resulting in excellence in the operations of it
BIMobject AB: BIMobject releases toolkit to help digitalise the construction industry23.3.2018 10:57 | Pressmeddelande
BIMobject releases a toolkit for easy, seamless integration of BIM-softwares with the corporation's cloud-based platform, which hosts digital building products. This gives building product manufacturers more marketing channels and easier access to the platform's user base. BIMobject's new Software Development Kit (SDK) is a quick, efficient way for third party-developers to start using the BIMobject platform. It allows for BIMobject's market-leading platform for digital building products easily to be integrated in different BIM-programmes, such as apps. The design, user experience, and features can be defined entirely by the developer. The SDK is made available as an open source-code for free download and is connected to the web interface upon application. The code is freestanding, making it independent of updates. This in turn makes the SDK future-proof, easy to apply, and less vulnerable, with reduced loading time of the integrated digital content. For more information, please contac
BIMobject AB: BIMobject släpper startkit som hjälper byggbranschen att digitaliseras23.3.2018 10:57 | Pressmeddelande
BIMobject släpper ett startkit som gör det enkelt att skapa sömlös integration av BIM-programvaror med bolagets molnbaserade plattform BIMobject Cloud för digitala byggprodukter. Produkttillverkare ges på så vis fler marknadsföringskanaler och smidigare tillgång till plattformens användarbas. BIMobjects nya Software Development Kit (SDK) gör det enkelt för tredjepartsutvecklare att snabbt börja använda bolagets webbgränssnitt. Innehållet som tillhandahålls på BIMobjects marknadsledande plattform för digitala byggprodukter kan på så vis enkelt integreras i olika BIM-program, exempelvis i form av appar. Design, användarupplevelse och funktioner kan bestämmas helt av utvecklaren. Startkitet tillhandahålls som öppen källkod ("open-source") för gratis nedladdning och kopplas till webbgränssnittet efter ansökan. Koden i startkitet är fristående och därför oberoende av uppdateringar. Detta gör startkitet framtidssäkert, lättapplicerat, mindre sårbart och kortar dessutom ned laddningstider av
Comodo CA Sees 35 Percent Year-Over-Year Increase in EV Certificates22.3.2018 15:47 | Pressmeddelande
EV SSL will be a topic of discussion at the Comodo CA booth during RSA 2018 CLIFTON, N.J., March 22, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Comodo CA, a worldwide leader in digital identity solutions, will address evolving cyberthreats and the increasing importance Extended Validation (EV) TLS/SSL certificates play in securing websites and inspiring consumer trust at the RSA Conference 2018, San Francisco, April 16 - 20. According to the Feb 2018 Netcraft report, Comodo CA has seen a 35 percent year-over-year increase of EV certificate units* making it one of the fastest growing providers of high assurance certificates. The volume of EV certificates globally also saw a record year in 2017 as more and more businesses adopt EV as standard practice for their websites. The demand for stronger, more secure EV certificates comes in the wake of increased phishing websites using Domain Validated (DV) certificates. Phishing websites imitate legitimate websites to steal customers' funds and identities. Phishi
I vårt pressrum kan du läsa de senaste pressmeddelandena, få tillgång till pressmaterial och hitta kontaktinformation.Besök vårt pressrum