Leading Medical Organizations Update Guideline for Molecular Testing and Targeted Therapies in Lung Cancer
DENVER, Jan. 23, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Rapid advancements in the molecular diagnostic testing of lung cancer have led to new treatments and greater hope for patients battling lung cancer, the most common cause of cancer death worldwide.
To ensure that clinicians stay apace and provide optimal patient care, three leading medical societies-the College of American Pathologists (CAP), the International Association for the Study of Lung Cancer (IASLC), and the Association for Molecular Pathology (AMP)-have updated their 2013 evidence-based guideline.
Published today in early online release, the "Updated Molecular Testing Guideline for the Selection of Lung Cancer Patients for Treatment with Targeted Tyrosine Kinase Inhibitors," continues to set standards for the molecular analysis of lung cancers for test results that effectively guide targeted therapy and treatment.
Targeted cancer therapies are drugs or other treatments that block the spread of cancer by interfering with specific molecules that spur that specific cancer's growth and progression. Patients whose tumors harbor certain, specific molecular alterations may be candidates for targeted tyrosine kinase inhibitor (TKI) therapy, which may improve survival and quality of life.
"Several factors influenced this update, which builds on the guidance we set forth in 2013," said Neal Lindeman, MD, director of Molecular Diagnostics at Brigham and Women's Hospital and Associate Professor of Pathology at Harvard Medical School in Boston, and AMP member. "Clinical practice guidelines must continually assess new evidence as it accumulates and consider new testing technologies as they emerge."
Dr. Lindeman led the international, multidisciplinary panel of expert authors appointed by each of the three organizations. The panel included pathologists, oncologists, pulmonologists, a methodologist, laboratory scientists, and patient representatives who collaborated to develop the guideline following the Institute of Medicine's evidence-based process.
The updated guideline strengthens or reaffirms the majority of the 2013 recommendations for patients with lung adenocarcinoma, and also recommends testing for some new genes. Most notably:
- Testing for ROS1 mutations is new and strongly recommended for all lung cancer patients regardless of clinical characteristics.
- Multiplexed genetic sequencing panels (e.g., NGS testing) are preferred over multiple single-gene tests to identify other treatment options beyond EGFR, ALK, and ROS1, however single gene assays are still acceptable.
- When NGS is performed, several other genes are also recommended - BRAF, ERBB2, MET, RET, and KRAS. However, these genes are not essential when only single gene tests are performed. Note: BRAF had late-breaking early evidence, which we expect to mature to a stronger recommendation for inclusion as a single gene assay, as well, in the near future.
- Testing in relapse is required for EGFR (T790M), but not for ALK, as the differential sensitivities of second-line ALK inhibitors in the setting of specific acquired mutations in ALK has not yet sufficiently matured and is still investigational.
- Testing for EGFR T790M in relapse may be done by biopsy or cell-free circulating DNA. However cell-free DNA is not appropriate for initial diagnosis at this time, unless a tissue or cytology sample cannot be obtained.
- Previous recommendations, otherwise, were largely reinforced, with some strengthening of evidence that has led to strengthening of the original recommendations. Most notable changes:
· Inclusion of IHC for ALK as an alternative to FISH;
· Inclusion of any cytology sample with adequate cancer content, as opposed to recommending cell blocks.
- Opinion is expressed that samples should also be set aside for assays to predict response to immunotherapy (e.g., PD-L1 IHC), but no specific recommendations about how to predict this treatment response were made, and will be the subject of an upcoming guideline.
The complete guideline is available online at the Archives of Pathology & Laboratory Medicine , Journal of Thoracic Oncology , and the Journal of Molecular Diagnostics . Additionally, the CAP, IASLC and AMP developed resources to help pathologists and oncologists review and implement the guideline, including a summary of recommendations, a teaching presentation, and frequently asked questions.
About the College of American Pathologists
As the world's largest organization of board-certified pathologists and leading provider of laboratory accreditation and proficiency testing programs, the College of American Pathologists (CAP) serves patients, pathologists, and the public by fostering and advocating excellence in the practice of pathology and laboratory medicine worldwide. For more information, READ THE CAP ANNUAL REPORT at CAP.ORG.
About the International Association for the Study of Lung Cancer
The International Association for the Study of Lung Cancer (IASLC) is the only global organization dedicated to the study of lung cancer and other thoracic malignancies. Founded in 1974, the association's membership includes more than 6,500 lung cancer specialists across all disciplines in over 100 countries, forming a global network working together to conquer lung and thoracic cancers worldwide. The association also publishes the Journal of Thoracic Oncology, the primary educational and informational publication for topics relevant to the prevention, detection, diagnosis and treatment of all thoracic malignancies. Visit www.iaslc.org for more information.
About the Association for Molecular Pathology
The Association for Molecular Pathology (AMP) was founded in 1995 to provide structure and leadership to the emerging field of molecular diagnostics. AMP's 2,300+ members practice in the various disciplines of molecular diagnostics, including bioinformatics, infectious diseases, inherited conditions and oncology. They include individuals from academic and community medical centers, government, and industry; including pathologist and doctoral scientist laboratory directors; basic and translational scientists; technologists; and trainees. Through the efforts of its Board of Directors, Committees, Working Groups, and members, AMP is the primary resource for expertise, education, and collaboration in one of the fastest growing fields in healthcare. AMP members influence policy and regulation on the national and international levels, ultimately serving to advance innovation in the field and protect patient access to high quality, appropriate testing. For more information, visit www.amp.org.
Kerry Lydon, CAP
Colleen Miller, IASLC
Andrew Noble, AMP
The issuer of this announcement warrants that they are solely responsible for the content, accuracy and originality of the information contained therein.
Source: IASLC via Globenewswire
Följ NASDAQ OMX
Abonnera på våra pressmeddelanden.
Senaste pressmeddelandena från NASDAQ OMX
Luxembourg Announced as SNOMED International's Newest Member24.5.2018 15:16 | Pressmeddelande
London, United Kingdom, May 24, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- SNOMED International and Agence eSanté Luxembourg are pleased to announce that Luxembourg has joined the organization as its thirty-second Member. Luxembourg, one of the leading nations in the area of information and communication technology, has set the development of eHealth technologies as a high priority. Agence eSanté, Luxembourg's national agency for the exchange and sharing of medical data, has set an overall mission to facilitate clinical information exchange both within Luxembourg and across other international actors. To work towards this reality, the agency has taken part in discussions about standardization across Europe, a contributing building block achieved with its membership in SNOMED International. With their membership, Agence eSanté has committed their support for the use of structured clinical terminology. When applied to the health sector, interoperability ensures that information systems, and through them h
SEMAFO Signs Underground Mining Services Contract with AUMS24.5.2018 14:00 | Pressmeddelande
MONTREAL, May 24, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- SEMAFO Inc. (TSX:SMF) (OMX:SMF) reports that it has signed a mining services contract with African Underground Mining Services ("AUMS") to provide turnkey mining services for Siou underground. AUMS is a well-known and reputable mining contractor with underground experience in Burkina Faso and across Africa. Under the mining services contract, AUMS will be responsible for supplying the mining fleet and a skilled labour force for Siou underground in addition to ensuring development, production and auxiliary services. SEMAFO will provide technical services including geology and engineering as well as leveraging the existing surface infrastructure at Mana. The mining services contract has a term of 70 months. The economic terms of the mining services contract are consistent with the economics presented in the Mana pre-feasibility study filed March 29, 2018 on SEDAR. Preparatory work has already commenced on Siou underground with full project deplo
Merus Announces First Patient Dosed in Phase 1 Clinical Trial of MCLA-158 in Patients with Solid Tumors24.5.2018 13:00 | Pressmeddelande
- IND Accepted in April by the U.S. FDA for MCLA-158 - UTRECHT, The Netherlands, May 24, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Merus N.V. (Nasdaq:MRUS), a clinical-stage immuno-oncology company developing innovative bispecific antibody therapeutics (Biclonics®), today announced that the first patient has been dosed in a Phase 1, first-in human clinical trial of MCLA-158 in patients with solid tumors with an initial focus on metastatic colorectal cancer. The trial will be conducted in Europe, where several Clinical Trial Applications (CTAs) have been approved to date. The Company also announced the submission of an Investigational New Drug (IND) application to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for MCLA-158, which was accepted by the FDA in April 2018. With this acceptance, Merus plans to open additional sites for this trial in the United States. MCLA-158 is designed to bind to cancer stem cells expressing leucine-rich repeat-containing G protein-coupled receptor 5 (Lgr5) and epidermal grow
PRA Named International Clinical Research Company of the Year24.5.2018 10:00 | Pressmeddelande
RALEIGH, N.C., May 24, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- PRA Health Sciences, Inc. (NASDAQ:PRAH) is pleased to announce it was recognized by PharmaTimes as the International Clinical Research Company of the Year. This is the fifth year in a row that PRA has received this award. "This award celebrates excellence in the clinical research industry and we are honored to once again be recognized by our peers," said Colin Shannon, President and Chief Executive Officer. "This award is possible thanks to the incredibly talented PRA team members we have working around the world who are deeply committed to their work in bringing new and life-saving therapies to the patients who need them." PRA also swept the Clinical Research Associate and Clinical Trial Administrator categories capturing a total of 11 awards. These awards follow PRA's recognition earlier this month in the PharmaTimes Americas competition where PRA also received 11 awards, including Company of the Year. The PharmaTimes, International Cli
Immunicum AB: Inbjudan till investerarträff24.5.2018 08:00 | Pressmeddelande
Pressmeddelande 24 maj 2018 Immunicum AB: Inbjudan till investerarträff Immunicum AB (publ; IMMU.ST) meddelade i dag att bolaget kommer att anordna en investerarträff i Kalmar den 13 juni kl. 18:00 CEST. Carlos de Sousa, Immunicums VD, kommer att hålla en presentation av det dagsaktuella läget, och han och övriga i ledningen kommer vara tillgängliga för att svara på frågor. Kalmar Datum: Onsdag 13 juni 2018 Tid: 18:00 - 20:00 CEST Plats: Kalmar Slott, Kungsgatan 1, 392 33 Kalmar För att delta på träffen, skicka ett mejl till email@example.com med ditt fullständiga namn. För ytterligare information kontakta: Carlos de Sousa, VD, Immunicum Telefon: +46 (0) 31 41 50 52 E-post: firstname.lastname@example.org Michaela Gertz, Finanschef, Immunicum Telefon: +46 (0) 31 41 50 52 E-post: email@example.com Media Relations Gretchen Schweitzer och Joanne Tudorica Trophic Communications Telefon: +49 172 861 8540 E-post: firstname.lastname@example.org Om Immunicum AB (publ) Immunicum etablerar ett unikt angreppssätt inom im
Immunicum AB: Invitation to Investor Event24.5.2018 08:00 | Pressmeddelande
Press Release 24 May 2018 Immunicum AB: Invitation to Investor Event Immunicum AB (publ; IMMU.ST) announced today that the Company will host an investor event in Kalmar on June 13 starting at 18:00 CEST. Carlos de Sousa, CEO of Immunicum, will give the current corporate presentation and he and other members of the Immunicum leadership team will be available for a question and answer session. Kalmar Date: Wednesday, June 13, 2018 Time: 18:00 - 20:00 CEST Location: Kalmar Slott, Kungsgatan 1, 392 33 Kalmar To register to attend the event, please send an email to email@example.com with your full name. For more information, please contact: Carlos de Sousa, CEO, Immunicum Telephone: +46 (0) 31 41 50 52 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Michaela Gertz, CFO, Immunicum Telephone: +46 70 926 17 75 E-mail: email@example.com Media Relations Gretchen Schweitzer and Joanne Tudorica Trophic Communications Telephone: +49 172 861 8540 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org About Immunicum AB (publ) Immunicum is establis
I vårt pressrum kan du läsa de senaste pressmeddelandena, få tillgång till pressmaterial och hitta kontaktinformation.Besök vårt pressrum