Lenovo Group: Full Year Financial Results 2020/21
Lenovo Group (HKSE: 992) (PINK SHEETS: LNVGY) today announced record results for the Group for both its fourth quarter and fiscal year, with phenomenal growth across all parts of the business. The results demonstrate the Group’s resilience and ability to achieve balanced, consistent, and sustainable growth as it continues to diversify and transform in line with its 3S (Smart IoT, Smart Infrastructure, Smart Solutions) corporate strategy.
Fourth quarter Group revenue grew at 48% year-to-year to US$15.6 billion. Profit recorded its highest growth rate in two years – with pre-tax income of US$380 million and net income of US$260 million – up 392% and 512% respectively. The Q4 results closed out a record year, with annual Group revenue surging past US$60 billion, adding more than US$10 billion on the previous fiscal year. Profit grew even faster, with pre-tax income of almost US$1.8 billion and net income of US$1.2 billion – both up more than 70% year-on-year.
Lenovo’s Board of Directors declared a final dividend of 3.09 US cents or 24 HK cents per share for the fiscal year ended March 31, 2021.
(profit attributable to equity holders)
Basic earnings per share (US cents)
Chairman and CEO quote – Yuanqing Yang:
“Last quarter, we delivered our fastest growing quarter in almost a decade and closed the fiscal year with the new milestone of passing US$60 billion in revenue and significant growth in profit to a new record. These historic highs were achieved by leveraging our core competencies of a clear strategy, innovative products, operational excellence, and global-local model to meet the new needs in the New Normal.” said Yuanqing Yang, Lenovo Chairman and CEO. “Looking forward, we will capture the huge growth opportunities created by the market trends of information consumption upgrade, infrastructure upgrade and application upgrade to drive long-term sustainable growth and ensure we can build an even smarter future in the years ahead.”
Fourth quarter record driven by simultaneous double-digit revenue growth across all core businesses
- Best fourth quarter ever for PC and Smart Devices (PCSD) with US$12.4 billion in revenue, up 46% year-on-year and profitability at an all-time high of 6.7%.
- All geographies realized high double-digit growth in PCSD revenue and PC volume outgrew the market – further strengthening the company’s global #1 ranking in PCs.
- Tablets had a breakthrough quarter, with shipments growing 157% year-on-year – around three times as fast as the market.
- High growth and premium segment volumes (Gaming, Thin & Light, Chromebooks, Visuals) continue to outgrow the market and deliver strong double to triple-digit growth rates.
- Revenue from the Mobile Business Group (MBG) achieved hyper-growth, up 86% year-on-year to US$1.54 billion – achieving pre-tax income of US$21 million – a record high since the Motorola acquisition.
- Expanded carrier relationships and a strong product portfolio, including 5G products, saw smartphone volumes grow at triple digit rate in North America, Europe, and Asia Pacific.
- Smartphone market share in our Latin America stronghold reached a record of nearly 21%.
- Revenue for the Data Center Group (DCG) was strong, growing 32% year-on-year to US$1.6 billion, the fifth straight quarter of premium-to-market growth. Profitability improved 4.4 points year-on-year.
- The Cloud Service Provider business grew 73% year-on-year and at a 61-point premium to the market.
- Record high fourth quarter revenue was achieved for Server, Storage, Software Defined Infrastructure, Software, and HPC/AI. Traditional storage was a particular highlight growing at 73% year-on-year.
- Burgeoning Edge business delivering strong signs of future growth.
- Transformation businesses also achieved record growth, fueled by ongoing strong growth in services and software revenue* up 44% year-on-year. Managed Services revenue* (DaaS, TruScale) nearly doubled, and Solutions revenue* grew 65% year-on-year.
Fiscal year milestone fueled by leveraging core competencies of clear strategy, product innovation, operational excellence, and Global/Local model
- For the first time, Group revenue surged past US$60 billion, adding more than US$10 billion, or 20% year-on-year growth in just one year.
- Intelligent Devices Group (PCSD and MBG) and Data Center Group achieved revenue growth of 20% and 15% respectively.
- The Group’s Service-led transformation is forging ahead. Software and Services revenue grew twice as fast at the overall Group revenue, at almost 40% year-on-year to a record US$4.9 billion – now makes up 8%* of Group revenue.
- Effective April 1, 2021, the Lenovo Group brought together services and solutions teams and capabilities from across the company to form a dedicated organization - the new Solutions & Services Group (SSG). This business group will further strengthen our attached services portfolio and increase attach rates, enhance and expand managed services, and develop repeatable solutions in key vertical industries.
- The Group’s global supply chain continues to be best-in-class with the global footprint expanding to include a new in-house factory in Hungary which will be fully operational later in 2021. Most recently Gartner ranked Lenovo as one of the world’s top 25 supply chains, citing the company as a stand-out performer in customer-driven business transformation, noted for embracing the use of advanced technologies like 5G, blockchain and artificial intelligence to optimize the delivery of products and solutions to customers across 180 markets.
- Progress and ambitions around sustainability continue at a significant pace, with Scope 1 and 2 greenhouse gas emissions reduced by 92% over the past decade and have new aggressive science-based targets for 2030 in place to drive progress even harder. The company has also been recognized by the annual Corporate Knights Index as one of the world’s 100 most sustainable companies.
- The company was named as one of the world’s most innovative companies by Boston Consulting Group – ranking 25 out of the top 50.
The challenges of FY 20/21 continue, in varying degrees, into the new year. Nevertheless, with the permanent market changes accelerated over the past year the Group’s outlook for the rest of 2021 and the 21/22 fiscal year remains positive. The market changes over the past year are fueling three major trends that the Group is capitalizing on. Firstly, the consumption upgrade, with customers spending more time on their devices, buying more, and upgrading more often. Secondly, the infrastructure upgrade, with customers moving from buying data center products to buying total infrastructure solutions. And finally, the application upgrade, with digitalization greatly accelerated and intelligent transformation, enabled by A.I., becoming a reality. Lenovo’s proven track record for execution, its global-local operating model, and new organizational structure aligns to these trends, will further strengthen the Group’s ability to drive long-term, sustainable growth.
* invoiced revenue
Lenovo (HKSE: 992) (ADR: LNVGY) is a US$60 billion revenue Fortune Global 500 company serving customers in 180 markets around the world. Focused on a bold vision to deliver smarter technology for all, we are developing world-changing technologies that power (through devices and infrastructure) and empower (through solutions, services and software) millions of customers every day and together create a more inclusive, trustworthy and sustainable digital society for everyone, everywhere. To find out more visit https://www.lenovo.com and read about the latest news via our StoryHub.
For the fiscal quarter and full year ended March 31, 2021
(in US$ millions, except per share data)
Gross profit margin
Other non-operating expenses - net
Profit for the period/year
Profit attributable to equity holders
Earnings per share (US cents)
To view this piece of content from cts.businesswire.com, please give your consent at the top of this page.
About Business Wire
Subscribe to releases from Business Wire
Subscribe to all the latest releases from Business Wire by registering your e-mail address below. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Latest releases from Business Wire
Exactech’s Equinoxe® Stemless Shoulder Replacement System Debuts in Europe16.9.2021 16:06:00 CEST | Press release
Exactech, a developer and producer of innovative implants, instrumentation and smart technologies for joint replacement surgery, announced today that the first anatomic total shoulder surgery has been performed in Europe using its bone-conserving, 3D-printed Equinoxe® Stemless Shoulder. Prof. Mark Tauber, MD, PhD, of Athos Klinik in Munich, Germany, performed the first surgery earlier this month. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210916005561/en/ Prof. Mark Tauber, MD, PhD, of Athos Klinik in Munich, Germany performed the first surgery in Europe using Exactech's bone-conserving, 3D-printed Equinoxe® Stemless Shoulder (Photo: Business Wire) “It was wonderful to be the first user of the Exactech Stemless humeral component in Europe,” Tauber said. “I’ve used stemless implants with various systems since 2007, so I know what we are talking about and have to congratulate Exactech for this product. The user-friendly in
Boehringer Ingelheim Enters Clinical Collaboration with Amgen to Study BI 1701963, a SOS1::pan-KRAS Inhibitor, in Combination with LUMAKRAS™ (sotorasib), a KRAS G12C Inhibitor16.9.2021 14:00:00 CEST | Press release
Boehringer Ingelheim today announced a clinical phase I collaboration with Amgen to evaluate the combination of BI 1701963, the first and most advanced SOS1::pan-KRAS inhibitor exhibiting activity against a broad spectrum of KRAS alleles, and LUMAKRAS™ (sotorasib), the first US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved KRASG12C inhibitor for adult patients with locally advanced or metastatic non-small cell lung cancer. The trial will investigate potential synergistic effects of this combination, possibly improving therapeutic outcomes beyond those of KRASG12C inhibitor therapy alone, specifically for people living with lung and colorectal cancers. Preclinical data suggest that the combination of a KRASG12C inhibitor with a SOS1::pan-KRAS inhibitor may result in increased anti-tumor activity in KRAS G12C-driven cancers based on the complementary mechanisms of these targeted oncology agents.1 2 By shifting the equilibrium from active KRAS towards the inactive form, SOS1::pan-KRAS inhib
SoftServe Wins Gold in 2021 Brandon Hall Group Excellence in Leadership Development Awards16.9.2021 13:05:00 CEST | Press release
SoftServe, a leading digital authority and consulting company has won Gold in the Best Advance in Coaching and Mentoring nomination at the 2021 Brandon Hall Group Excellence in Leadership Development Awards. The company was recognized for a unique learning ecosystem that implements mentoring and coaching practices to help associates grow, gain new competencies, and hone their leadership skills. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210916005049/en/ SOFTSERVE WINS GOLD IN 2021 BRANDON HALL GROUP EXCELLENCE IN LEADERSHIP DEVELOPMENT AWARDS (Graphic: Business Wire) Individual-oriented learning at SoftServe is part of the corporate learning and development ecosystem. SoftServe University offers learning solutions in over 20 different formats. Besides trainings, long-term, conventional, and e-learning programs, mentoring and coaching enable associates to gain knowledge and experience faster, improving employee performanc
Entersekt Enables FIDO Authentication for Improved Security, User Experience, and Customer Choice16.9.2021 13:00:00 CEST | Press release
CYBER attacks pose a massive risk for financial institutions. The cost of data breaches averages tens of millions of dollars, and other after-effects are often far-reaching for organizations and their customers. At the root of these breaches are passwords – in an estimated 80% of cases. “Eliminating passwords and replacing them with more secure and user-friendly solutions is critical,” says Entersekt’s SVP Product, Christian Ali. Ali says there’s been a massive surge in online fraud in the past 18 months. Existing methods of authenticating consumers’ identities and transactions typically rely on outdated, less secure solutions like passwords or OTPs, while more secure solutions often require a mobile app. In addition, poor user experience often leads to cart abandonment – and lost sales. Users are frustrated and banks are at risk. To address the divide between strong security on the one hand and good user experience on the other, Entersekt has expanded its authentication suite to inclu
Philip Morris International Announces Unconditional Offer for Vectura Group PLC16.9.2021 11:48:00 CEST | Press release
PMI Global Services Inc. (PMI) (NYSE: PM) today announced that its offer for Vectura Group plc (Vectura) (LSE: VEC) has become unconditional, having received valid acceptances for or acquired 74.77 % of Vectura shares, in excess of the 50% required under the acceptance condition, as well as confirming that all other conditions to the offer have been satisfied or waived. PMI has extended the offer to allow for the tender of further shares. “We have reached an important milestone in our acquisition of Vectura and are pleased to have secured over 74% of the company’s shares, in excess of the 50% required to make our offer unconditional and PMI the majority shareholder," said PMI’s Chief Executive Officer, Jacek Olczak. "We are very excited about the critical role Vectura will play in our Beyond Nicotine strategy and look forward to working with Vectura’s scientists and providing them with the resources and expertise to grow their business to help us achieve our goal of generating at least
Argenta Acquires Top Clinical Research Organization Klifovet to Enhance Services and Expand Global Footprint16.9.2021 11:10:00 CEST | Press release
Argenta, the only combined global contract research organization (CRO) and contract development & manufacturing organization (CDMO) dedicated to animal health, announced today that it has acquired Klifovet, the leading CRO and Regulatory Affairs consultancy organization in Europe. Financial details of the transaction were not disclosed. Klifovet founder and CEO Dr. Klaus Hellmann will continue to lead Klifovet and will join Argenta’s senior leadership team. Founded in 1997 by Dr. Klaus Hellmann and located in Munich, Germany, Klifovet has built a leading reputation in the animal health industry, providing extensive expertise in clinical research and regulatory affairs. Its ~50 employees have had successful involvement in hundreds of studies, and their expertise and knowledge has been critical to numerous marketing authorizations for pharmaceutical, biological, immunological, and novel therapies. Its client base comprises the world’s top animal health and nutrition companies as well as
TSMC Commits to Reach Net Zero Emissions by 2050, Acting on Responsibility to Environmental Sustainability16.9.2021 11:07:00 CEST | Press release
TSMC (TWSE: 2330, NYSE: TSM) today marked the International Day for the Preservation of the Ozone Layer with a commitment to reach net zero emissions by 2050. The Company also published its Task Force on Climate-related Financial Disclosures (TCFD) Report, becoming a semiconductor industry frontrunner in climate disclosure while taking actions towards the Company’s environmental sustainability goals. As a responsible corporate citizen, TSMC strives to adapt to climate change and mitigate climate impact to protect our shared global environment. Guided by its ESG Policy and Environmental Policy, TSMC actively plans and implements actions to mitigate climate change, closely tracks a wide range of global climate action indicators, and is now taking a step further to create its roadmap to reach net zero emissions. In 2018, TSMC published its Climate Change Statement, clearly stating that the Company addresses climate change through the two key measures of impact mitigation and risk adaption
In our pressroom you can read all our latest releases, find our press contacts, images, documents and other relevant information about us.Visit our pressroom