Lenovo Group: Full Year Financial Results 2020/21
Lenovo Group (HKSE: 992) (PINK SHEETS: LNVGY) today announced record results for the Group for both its fourth quarter and fiscal year, with phenomenal growth across all parts of the business. The results demonstrate the Group’s resilience and ability to achieve balanced, consistent, and sustainable growth as it continues to diversify and transform in line with its 3S (Smart IoT, Smart Infrastructure, Smart Solutions) corporate strategy.
Fourth quarter Group revenue grew at 48% year-to-year to US$15.6 billion. Profit recorded its highest growth rate in two years – with pre-tax income of US$380 million and net income of US$260 million – up 392% and 512% respectively. The Q4 results closed out a record year, with annual Group revenue surging past US$60 billion, adding more than US$10 billion on the previous fiscal year. Profit grew even faster, with pre-tax income of almost US$1.8 billion and net income of US$1.2 billion – both up more than 70% year-on-year.
Lenovo’s Board of Directors declared a final dividend of 3.09 US cents or 24 HK cents per share for the fiscal year ended March 31, 2021.
(profit attributable to equity holders)
Basic earnings per share (US cents)
Chairman and CEO quote – Yuanqing Yang:
“Last quarter, we delivered our fastest growing quarter in almost a decade and closed the fiscal year with the new milestone of passing US$60 billion in revenue and significant growth in profit to a new record. These historic highs were achieved by leveraging our core competencies of a clear strategy, innovative products, operational excellence, and global-local model to meet the new needs in the New Normal.” said Yuanqing Yang, Lenovo Chairman and CEO. “Looking forward, we will capture the huge growth opportunities created by the market trends of information consumption upgrade, infrastructure upgrade and application upgrade to drive long-term sustainable growth and ensure we can build an even smarter future in the years ahead.”
Fourth quarter record driven by simultaneous double-digit revenue growth across all core businesses
- Best fourth quarter ever for PC and Smart Devices (PCSD) with US$12.4 billion in revenue, up 46% year-on-year and profitability at an all-time high of 6.7%.
- All geographies realized high double-digit growth in PCSD revenue and PC volume outgrew the market – further strengthening the company’s global #1 ranking in PCs.
- Tablets had a breakthrough quarter, with shipments growing 157% year-on-year – around three times as fast as the market.
- High growth and premium segment volumes (Gaming, Thin & Light, Chromebooks, Visuals) continue to outgrow the market and deliver strong double to triple-digit growth rates.
- Revenue from the Mobile Business Group (MBG) achieved hyper-growth, up 86% year-on-year to US$1.54 billion – achieving pre-tax income of US$21 million – a record high since the Motorola acquisition.
- Expanded carrier relationships and a strong product portfolio, including 5G products, saw smartphone volumes grow at triple digit rate in North America, Europe, and Asia Pacific.
- Smartphone market share in our Latin America stronghold reached a record of nearly 21%.
- Revenue for the Data Center Group (DCG) was strong, growing 32% year-on-year to US$1.6 billion, the fifth straight quarter of premium-to-market growth. Profitability improved 4.4 points year-on-year.
- The Cloud Service Provider business grew 73% year-on-year and at a 61-point premium to the market.
- Record high fourth quarter revenue was achieved for Server, Storage, Software Defined Infrastructure, Software, and HPC/AI. Traditional storage was a particular highlight growing at 73% year-on-year.
- Burgeoning Edge business delivering strong signs of future growth.
- Transformation businesses also achieved record growth, fueled by ongoing strong growth in services and software revenue* up 44% year-on-year. Managed Services revenue* (DaaS, TruScale) nearly doubled, and Solutions revenue* grew 65% year-on-year.
Fiscal year milestone fueled by leveraging core competencies of clear strategy, product innovation, operational excellence, and Global/Local model
- For the first time, Group revenue surged past US$60 billion, adding more than US$10 billion, or 20% year-on-year growth in just one year.
- Intelligent Devices Group (PCSD and MBG) and Data Center Group achieved revenue growth of 20% and 15% respectively.
- The Group’s Service-led transformation is forging ahead. Software and Services revenue grew twice as fast at the overall Group revenue, at almost 40% year-on-year to a record US$4.9 billion – now makes up 8%* of Group revenue.
- Effective April 1, 2021, the Lenovo Group brought together services and solutions teams and capabilities from across the company to form a dedicated organization - the new Solutions & Services Group (SSG). This business group will further strengthen our attached services portfolio and increase attach rates, enhance and expand managed services, and develop repeatable solutions in key vertical industries.
- The Group’s global supply chain continues to be best-in-class with the global footprint expanding to include a new in-house factory in Hungary which will be fully operational later in 2021. Most recently Gartner ranked Lenovo as one of the world’s top 25 supply chains, citing the company as a stand-out performer in customer-driven business transformation, noted for embracing the use of advanced technologies like 5G, blockchain and artificial intelligence to optimize the delivery of products and solutions to customers across 180 markets.
- Progress and ambitions around sustainability continue at a significant pace, with Scope 1 and 2 greenhouse gas emissions reduced by 92% over the past decade and have new aggressive science-based targets for 2030 in place to drive progress even harder. The company has also been recognized by the annual Corporate Knights Index as one of the world’s 100 most sustainable companies.
- The company was named as one of the world’s most innovative companies by Boston Consulting Group – ranking 25 out of the top 50.
The challenges of FY 20/21 continue, in varying degrees, into the new year. Nevertheless, with the permanent market changes accelerated over the past year the Group’s outlook for the rest of 2021 and the 21/22 fiscal year remains positive. The market changes over the past year are fueling three major trends that the Group is capitalizing on. Firstly, the consumption upgrade, with customers spending more time on their devices, buying more, and upgrading more often. Secondly, the infrastructure upgrade, with customers moving from buying data center products to buying total infrastructure solutions. And finally, the application upgrade, with digitalization greatly accelerated and intelligent transformation, enabled by A.I., becoming a reality. Lenovo’s proven track record for execution, its global-local operating model, and new organizational structure aligns to these trends, will further strengthen the Group’s ability to drive long-term, sustainable growth.
* invoiced revenue
Lenovo (HKSE: 992) (ADR: LNVGY) is a US$60 billion revenue Fortune Global 500 company serving customers in 180 markets around the world. Focused on a bold vision to deliver smarter technology for all, we are developing world-changing technologies that power (through devices and infrastructure) and empower (through solutions, services and software) millions of customers every day and together create a more inclusive, trustworthy and sustainable digital society for everyone, everywhere. To find out more visit https://www.lenovo.com and read about the latest news via our StoryHub.
For the fiscal quarter and full year ended March 31, 2021
(in US$ millions, except per share data)
Gross profit margin
Other non-operating expenses - net
Profit for the period/year
Profit attributable to equity holders
Earnings per share (US cents)
To view this piece of content from cts.businesswire.com, please give your consent at the top of this page.
About Business Wire
Subscribe to releases from Business Wire
Subscribe to all the latest releases from Business Wire by registering your e-mail address below. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Latest releases from Business Wire
Hisense's European Sales Revenue Surges to 113%, Successfully Strengthen European Competitive Position and Profitability14.6.2021 13:00:00 CEST | Press release
Hisense, the official sponsor of UEFA EURO 2020, celebrates the official kick-off of EURO 2020 in Italy. Football, as one of the top events in Europe, creates a chance for Hisense to build emotional connections with European consumers. Ever since the sponsorship of UEFA EURO 2016, through supporting sport event and technology innovation, Hisense gains many recognitions and praises from European consumers; its brand awareness increased by 6%. In 2021, Hisense’s sales revenue in the European market grew by 113% year-on-year, with more than 355% and 185% growth in key markets such as Poland and France. Hisense is dedicated to developing and producing cutting-edge technology, adopting localization strategy to ensure different markets' consumer needs and product experience. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210614005257/en/ Fans can find Hisense Logo on EURO 2020 Festival Tower (Photo: Business Wire) Localization man
Moody’s Highlights Its Commitment to Sustainability Leadership14.6.2021 13:00:00 CEST | Press release
Today Moody’s Corporation (NYSE:MCO) released its inaugural Stakeholder Sustainability and Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DE&I) reports, which highlight its ongoing commitment to sustainability leadership by placing sustainability considerations at the core of its global business and operations. The 2020 Stakeholder Sustainability Report details Moody’s focus on sustainability and its progress toward incorporating environmental, social and governance (ESG) considerations across its products and corporate operations. Moody’s DE&I Report details new goals established to enhance diverse representation across its global workforce and highlights programs and partnerships created to advance DE&I in its workplace, communities and the wider business community. “Sustainability is an integral part of who we are and how we operate at Moody’s,” said Robert Fauber, President and Chief Executive Officer. “Our Stakeholder Sustainability and DE&I reports detail the many ways in which we are committe
Velodyne Lidar Introduces Next-Generation Velabit™ Sensor14.6.2021 12:48:00 CEST | Press release
Velodyne Lidar, Inc. (Nasdaq: VLDR, VLDRW) today introduced the next generation of its Velabit™ sensor, which addresses the cost, safety, and design challenges of autonomous solutions while delivering state-of-the-art performance. Equipped with Velodyne's breakthrough proprietary micro-lidar array architecture (MLA), the Velabit delivers on what Velodyne customers asked for - an ultra-wide field of view (FoV) and higher resolution. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210614005080/en/ Velodyne Lidar introduced the next generation of its Velabit™ sensor, which addresses the cost, safety, and design challenges of autonomous solutions while delivering state-of-the-art performance. (Photo: Velodyne Lidar) The solid-state Velabit sensor now has a simultaneously achievable maximum horizontal FoV of 90° and maximum vertical FOV of 70°, approximately three times more points per second than the previous model. The next gene
Thales and Google Expand Partnership to Support Enhanced Privacy and Confidentiality Capabilities for Google Workspace14.6.2021 12:00:00 CEST | Press release
Thales today announced that its CipherTrust Manager and SafeNet Trusted Access have been integrated with Google Workspace Client-side encryption (beta coming soon), a new privacy and confidentiality offering for Google Workspace users. Providing enhanced key management capabilities and identity protection, customers can benefit from improved regulatory compliance and data ownership by allowing them to maintain ownership of keys used to encrypt Google Workspace documents. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210614005060/en/ © Thales With many countries developing strict data security regulations, such as GDPR and Schrems II in Europe, CCPA in NORAM and NDB in APAC, the regulatory landscape is becoming increasingly complex for organisations to navigate. What’s more, with three-quarters (74%) of global organisations planning to keep part of their workforce remote after the pandemic, there is an increasing need for a
Celltrion announces positive top-line results from global Phase III trial of regdanvimab (CT-P59), an anti-COVID-19 monoclonal antibody treatment14.6.2021 10:15:00 CEST | Press release
Celltrion Group today announced top-line efficacy and safety data from the global Phase III clinical trial, demonstrating that anti-COVID-19 monoclonal antibody treatment candidate, regdanvimab (CT-P59), met all primary and key secondary endpoints in patients with mild- to- moderate symptoms of COVID-19 (n=1,315). Results showed that CT-P59 significantly reduced the risk of hospitalisation or death by 72% for patients at high- risk of progressing to severe COVID-19 up to Day 28, compared to placebo, meeting the primary efficacy endpoint [3.1 vs. 11.1 %, p-value< 0.0001]. CT-P59 also significantly reduced the risk of hospitalisation or death by 70% in all patients, meeting the first key secondary endpoint [2.4 vs. 8.0 %, p-value< 0.0001]. The trial also met the other key secondary endpoints, including faster and persistent reduction in symptom duration. Patients treated with CT-P59 (40mg/kg) recovered at least 4.7 days earlier than those in the placebo-treated patients [median 9.3 vs. m
Immersive Labs Raises $75m to Accelerate Data Platform for Analyzing and Unlocking Cyber Skills Across Large Organizations14.6.2021 10:00:00 CEST | Press release
Immersive Labs, the company empowering organizations to measure and improve cybersecurity skills across technical and non-technical teams, today announced it has closed $75m in Series C funding led by new investors Insight Partners alongside Menlo Ventures, Citi Ventures and existing investor Goldman Sachs Asset Management. The investment will accelerate delivery of a progressive new Cyber Workforce Optimization platform. With cyber risk no longer confined to technical specialists, expert skills are now required across the entire organization. From crisis management with executives to secure software development amongst engineers and ensuring compliance in legal teams, the platform will use data insights to understand where skills are required and inject role-specific training. It will also enable board-level metrics and benchmarking. Immersive Labs, which has now received $123m in venture funding, currently counts organizations such as HSBC, Vodafone and the NHS as customers. Growing
NexStreaming releases NexPlayer for Nintendo Switch™14.6.2021 09:00:00 CEST | Press release
NexStreaming announced the latest addition to their Player SDK family, the Nintendo Switch SDK, becoming the first player to enable video streaming for the popular video game devices. NexPlayer and Nintendo have joined forces to port the popular NexPlayer SDK into Nintendo Switch, making possible HLS and DASH streaming inside Nintendo Switch apps. OTT providers will be able to offer their Live & VOD video services to almost 80 million users worldwide and gaming publishers will be able to include exciting video contents inside their Nintendo Switch games. NexPlayer for Nintendo Switch comes with the same premium support as NexPlayer SDK and is very easy to integrate into any application. Carlos Lucas, CEO of NexStreaming said, “Our role in the industry is to enable the most advanced video services for the largest number of devices. Adding Nintendo Switch to our list of supported platforms is aligned with this strategy. Nintendo´s support has been key for this achievement. We hope our cu
In our pressroom you can read all our latest releases, find our press contacts, images, documents and other relevant information about us.Visit our pressroom