Lenovo Group: Second Quarter Results 2021/22
Lenovo Group (HKSE: 992) (ADR: LNVGY) today announced record quarterly results for the Group, with historic highs for both profit and revenue. The company’s operational excellence, innovation, and strong execution underpin the improvements across all key business groups, despite wider industry supply challenges. These, together with the opportunities created by accelerated digitalization, intelligent transformation, and IT upgrades in devices, infrastructure, and applications around the world continue to fuel the Group’s long-term and sustainable profitability increases.
Lenovo’s performance delivered significant year-on-year improvements, with net income growing 65% year-on-year to US$512 million and net income margin improving by 0.7 points, on track towards the Group’s goal of doubling in three years. Pre-tax income was US$742 million, up 58% year-on-year, and Group revenue continued its strong growth trajectory hitting US$17.9 billion, up 23% year-on-year. Operating cashflow doubled year-on-year to US$1.6 billion, and at the same time the Group’s R&D expenses for the quarter were up almost 60% owing to increased investments in innovation.
Looking ahead, the strategy to drive sustainable profit improvements and growth will continue to focus on high margin businesses and segments, at the same time doubling investments in R&D over three years as announced last quarter. This focus will support the Group’s continued transformation, developing technology focused on the New IT opportunities and the technology architecture of ‘Client-Edge-Cloud-Network-Intelligence’ brought about by changing customer needs.
Net Income (profit attributable to equity holders)
Basic earnings per share (US cents)
Lenovo’s Board of Directors declared an interim dividend of 8.0 HK cents per share.
Chairman and CEO quote – Yuanqing Yang:
“Lenovo’s New IT technology architecture of “Client-Edge-Cloud-Network-Intelligence” is gaining momentum and more accepted across the industry. Through the strong execution of our 3S strategy (Smart Devices/IoT, Smart Infrastructure, Smart Vertical), last quarter, both our net income and revenue achieved new records, and we are on track to double our net margin in three years. At the same time, our R&D investment greatly increased by almost 60%” said Yuanqing Yang, Lenovo Chairman and CEO. “Looking ahead, we will continue to drive to our goal to double R&D spending over three years, and further drive our service-led intelligent transformation.”
Solutions and Services Group (SSG): delivering strong growth and high margins - driving higher overall profitability for the Group
The Solutions and Services Group continues to drive strong profitability and growth in a rapidly expanding market. As the technology architecture becomes more complex, customers demand more sophisticated IT services, and the market is predicted to be worth over one trillion US dollars through 2025, with the fast growing and high-margin device-as-a-service market predicted to be US$67 billion by 2025.
- Significant Q2 revenue growth (30% year-on-year to US$1.36 billion), delivering 7.3% of overall Group revenue and with an operating margin of almost 21%.
- Support services penetration rates for PC customers and infrastructure customers both improved. Managed Services saw revenue up almost 90% year-on-year, and the Group saw repeatable solutions based on Lenovo’s own IP gaining traction, resulting in Project Services and Solutions achieving almost 22% year-on-year revenue growth.
- The Group announced an evolution in its consumption-based business model at its annual flagship innovation event Tech World with the launch of TruScale – a new portfolio that brings together all of Lenovo’s as-a-Service offerings under one umbrella to provide a truly global solution that makes everything from the pocket to the cloud available via a single contract framework.
- Against this backdrop, Lenovo will continue to drive both revenue growth and profitability. By integrating the company’s internal IT function into SSG it can improve the business group’s R&D delivery capability and turn proven internal digital capabilities into solution offerings for customers.
- In managed services, new platforms, tools, and go-to-market capabilities will be introduced to enhance the TruScale as-a-service offerings.
- In support services, the focus will be to increase penetration rates as the commercial segment rebounds.
Infrastructure Solutions Group (ISG): record quarter, outperforming a growing market
Opportunities continue to expand for ISG as ICT infrastructure modernization continues around the world. The ICT infrastructure market is expected to become a US$250 billion market through 2025, making it as big globally as the PC market.
- ISG delivered record performance, led by all-time high revenue of almost US$2 billion, up almost 34% year-on-year. Profitability continued to improve by US$24 million year-on-year, nearing break even.
- The business outgrew the market in nearly every segment. Cloud Service Provider reached historic high revenue with over 50% growth year-on-year; Enterprise/SMB revenue had strong growth of 20% year-on-year.
- In the higher margin segments, storage revenue grew over 50% year-on-year to a new record, and in High Performance Computing the Group delivered the fastest university high performance computer in China, powered by Lenovo Neptune water-cooling technology.
- The Group will continue to increase investments in fast-growing segments such as Edge computing, hybrid cloud solutions, and 5G cloud-network convergence.
- The Group will also continue to strengthen in-house design and manufacturing capabilities to drive profitability improvements as the business moves towards breakeven and beyond.
- The vision remains to become the largest and most trusted global ICT infrastructure solutions provider.
Intelligent Devices Group (IDG): strong revenue growth and stronger profitability, increasing contribution from non-PC businesses
The demand for PCs and other smart devices remains strong. This is driven by commercial demand recovering, with market reports showing commercial PCs (excluding Chromebooks) growing 18% year-on-year last quarter, as well as increased demand expected from the launch of Windows 11. Lenovo expects PC demand to be in line with industry assessments of 340-355 million units a year for the next few years. The global smartphone market still presents tremendous opportunities to grow, as does the surging IoT market which is expecting to grow by 11% CAGR through 2025.
- Excellent results with revenue growth of 21% year-on-year to US$15.3 billion, with even stronger profitability growth - up 34% year-on-year to US$1.2 billion, on already high base.
- Premium PC segments delivered high growth with premium Yoga and workstation revenue each more than doubling year-on-year. Commercial PC revenue grew 29% year-on-year and SMB PC grew 48% year-on-year.
- Smartphones had its best quarter ever, with profit reaching a new historic high of US$89 million, while revenue grew 27% year-on-year to the highest in 15 quarters. All geographies delivered high profitable growth – not only in the traditional strongholds of Latin America and North America, but also expansion markets of EMEA and Asia Pacific. Tablet revenue grew 20% year-on-year and accessories business grew 31% year-on-year.
- Lenovo will further invest in premium segments to drive increased profitability and average selling price. Adjacent non-PC products like smartphones, tablets, smart meeting collaboration, and embedded computing will further increase the non-PC business mix.
Operational highlights and investing for the future
- The Group continues to focus significantly on ESG through all its operations; setting new climate change mitigation goals in August 2021 as part of its annual ESG report. The company has committed to removing one million tons of Green House Gas emissions from its supply chain by FY2025/26 as it makes progress toward its 2030 emissions reductions goals, approved by the Science-Based Targets Initiative. In addition, the company has committed to integrating post-consumer recycled materials into 100% of PC products by 2025 and reframed reset social impact goals so that women will account for 27% of global executive roles by 2025, up from 21% in 2020.
- The Group was recently recognized for its commitments and work across ESG, receiving its highest ever rating from the Hang Seng Corporate Sustainability Index, reaching an AA+ rating for the first time and the best overall technology industry score.
- Following the retirement of Corporate President and Chief Operation Officer Gianfranco Lanci, Lenovo recently announced Che Min (Jammi) Tu as Group Operations Officer of the company. In his role he will build on the company’s strengths in operational and supply chain excellence.
Lenovo (HKSE: 992) (ADR: LNVGY) is a US$60 billion revenue Fortune Global 500 company serving customers in 180 markets around the world. Focused on a bold vision to deliver smarter technology for all, we are developing world-changing technologies that power (through devices and infrastructure) and empower (through solutions, services and software) millions of customers every day and together create a more inclusive, trustworthy and sustainable digital society for everyone, everywhere. To find out more visit https://www.lenovo.com and read about the latest news via our StoryHub.
For the second quarter ended September 30, 2021
(in US$ millions, except per share data)
Gross profit margin
Other non-operating income/(expenses) - net
Profit for the period
Profit attributable to equity holders
EPS (US cents)
To view this piece of content from cts.businesswire.com, please give your consent at the top of this page.
About Business Wire
Subscribe to releases from Business Wire
Subscribe to all the latest releases from Business Wire by registering your e-mail address below. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Latest releases from Business Wire
Schlumberger DELFI Digital Platform Selected by Northern Lights JV for CO 2 Project28.1.2022 13:00:00 CET | Press release
Schlumberger will deploy the DELFI* cognitive E&P environment on the Norwegian CO2 project by the Northern Lights Joint Venture (NL), to streamline subsurface workflows and longer-term modeling and surveillance of CO2 sequestration. NL was established to develop the world’s first open-source CO2 transport and storage infrastructure, providing accelerated decarbonization opportunities for European industries, with an ambition to store up to 5 million tonnes of CO2 per year based on market demand. For CO2 transportation and storage, Schlumberger digital solutions are used for subsurface characterization and dynamic reservoir simulation, which are key to understanding storage site capacity and the potential for injecting and containing fluids. They are also used for development planning, operations, appraisals, and monitoring purposes. “Northern Lights has recognized the huge potential of Schlumberger’s digital technology to fast-track decision making and de-risk CO2 transportation and st
Pixis Appoints Neel Pandya as the CEO for Europe Business, in Addition to APAC28.1.2022 12:28:00 CET | Press release
Pixis (formerly known as Pyxis One), a leading provider of contextual codeless AI infrastructure for complete marketing optimization, today appointed Neel Pandya as the Chief Executive Officer of its operations in Europe, in addition to his responsibilities of leading the APAC business. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20220128005166/en/ Neel Pandya joined Pixis as the CEO of APAC in its Bengaluru office after exiting L'Oréal. (Photo: Business Wire) Neel joined Pixis in its Bengaluru office in July 2021 as the CEO of APAC, bringing immense change and progress to the way Pixis operates, and greatly streamlining expansions in the APAC region. Under his leadership, Pixis witnessed a 185% growth in revenue in the APAC region, with India independently recording a 150% of growth. Over the last 7 months, in addition to greatly stabilizing customer churn Neel has also been instrumental in adding close to 30 new enterpris
'True Stories of Investing' - flatexDEGIRO drives financial education with high-quality documentation28.1.2022 10:48:00 CET | Press release
With "True Stories of Investing", flatexDEGIRO AG (WKN: FTG111, ISIN: DE000FTG1111, Ticker: FTK.GR), Europe's largest and fastest-growing retail online broker collaborates with award-winning documentary maker, New Amsterdam, and Discovery, to demystify investing. The documentary premieres on Discovery's channels across Europe starting this weekend and showcases important lessons every retail investor needs to know. In four episodes, renowned journalists, professors, behavioral scientists and investors challenge some of the biggest misconceptions about investing by examining historical events and the mechanisms at work. Frank Niehage, CEO of flatexDEGIRO: "It is our mission to retailise capital markets and empower private individuals to invest in a self-determined and sustainable way. As Europe's leading online broker, we feel responsible for making trading more simple, more informed, and more secure for our customers. With this innovative documentary, we take financial education one st
SoftBank Group Announces Management Transition28.1.2022 05:08:00 CET | Press release
SoftBank Group Corp. (“SoftBank”) today announced that the company and Marcelo Claure have mutually agreed to part ways after a successful nine-year partnership. In conjunction with Mr. Claure’s departure, Michel Combes has been appointed as CEO of SoftBank Group International (“SBGI”). In this position, he will oversee SoftBank Group International’s operating and investment portfolio*. Masayoshi Son, Representative Director, Corporate Officer, Chairman & CEO of SoftBank Group Corp., said, “Marcelo has made many contributions to SoftBank during his time here and we thank him for his dedication and wish him continued success in his future endeavors. I have great confidence in Michel Combes and the talented SoftBank team to continue with the great work we have underway at SBGI.” Mr. Claure said, “I will forever be grateful for my experience at SoftBank over the last nine years. I have had the opportunity to collaborate with some of the world’s great executives and entrepreneurs, and tack
JETRO Osaka (Japan External Trade Organization): Making an Innovation Movement From Osaka28.1.2022 03:00:00 CET | Press release
The Kansai region, which includes unique cities of Osaka, Kobe and Kyoto, is a massive market with a population of 24.65 million people and a GDP of approximately 100.05 trillion yen. It equals the metropolitan area centered on Tokyo as a site for business and plays the central role in the economy of Western Japan. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20220124005319/en/ Succeed Together in Japan and Beyond (Graphic: Business Wire) In this region, particularly on the Osaka Gulf Coast, there is a cluster of companies and research institutes related to the environmental and new energy industries. Also, throughout Osaka City, bio-related pharmaceutical companies and food manufacturers gather as well as the chemical and medical equipment companies. [Source] JETRO Investing in Japan “Osaka City” https://www.jetro.go.jp/en/invest/region/data/osaka-city.html O-BIC “Industry of Osaka” https://o-bic.net/e/attractive/ As the ho
KILL Seoul Semiconductor Proves the Effect of SunLike Lighting on Myopia Improvement28.1.2022 01:29:00 CET | Press release
KILL Seoul Semiconductor requests that their press release NewsItemId: 20220116005060, issued 17-Jan-2022 12:16 AM, “Seoul Semiconductor Proves the Effect of SunLike Lighting on Myopia Improvement” be killed. The release was issued in error by Seoul Semiconductor Co., Ltd. A replacement release will not be issued. Contact information Seoul Semiconductor Co., Ltd. Jinseop Jeong +82-70-4391-8555 firstname.lastname@example.org
GIANT Protocol Publishes Litepaper for Decentralized Internet Connectivity Economy27.1.2022 16:23:00 CET | Press release
GIANT Protocol, a leading-edge web3 protocol building a decentralized connectivity economy, today announced the release of its Litepaper, laying out the various components of GIANT Protocol’s ambitious proposal to decentralize and democratize access to the internet and financial services through a web3 telecommunications layer. GIANT plans to roll out the first iteration of its mainnet in the first half of 2022, so the publication of the Litepaper marks a critical step in ensuring GIANT Protocol’s commitment to being an open-source, public protocol built to support a globally connected world. GIANT Protocol made its debut in November 2021, announcing its intention to build a tokenized bandwidth platform that will allow anyone with a mobile phone to access the internet and earn rewards based on their connectivity. With a founding team well-established in the telecom sector, GIANT Protocol intends to leverage existing network providers, allowing it to rapidly scale its network. In Decemb
In our pressroom you can read all our latest releases, find our press contacts, images, documents and other relevant information about us.Visit our pressroom