Mary Kay Inc. Advocates for Advancing Women’s Economic Empowerment and Gender Equality Through Series of Milestone Commitments & Partnerships Around the World
Mary Kay Inc., a global advocate for women’s empowerment and entrepreneurship, has furthered its commitment to advancing gender parity by releasing a position paper welcoming the European Commission’s Gender Equality Strategy for 2020 – 2025 and by joining the Generation Equality Forum Global Action Coalitions.
This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210720005347/en/
This month, Mary Kay also joined the “Drivers of change” Program at the Generation Equality Forum in Paris, France (June 30 - July 2). (Graphic: Mary Kay Inc.)
The position paper, which can be accessed here, echoes the strategy of the European Union on gender equality. According to the European Union: “The Strategy presents policy objectives and actions to make significant progress by 2025 towards a gender-equal Europe. The goal is a Union where women and men, girls and boys, in all their diversity, are free to pursue their chosen path in life, have equal opportunities to thrive, and can equally participate in and lead our European society.”
“Discriminatory laws, gender bias and stereotyping, violence against women and girls - these are all global issues and must be tackled in partnership with the public and private sectors and civil society organizations across the world,” said Julia Simon, Chief Legal & Diversity Officer at Mary Kay. “Achieving gender equality is critical to the survival of the planet and the rebuilding of more sustainable and thriving economies and societies.”
This month, Mary Kay also joined the “Drivers of change” Program at the Generation Equality Forum in Paris, France (June 30 - July 2). 26 years after the Beijing Declaration, the Generation Equality Forum, convened by UN Women and co-hosted by the governments of Mexico and France, was the “most critical moment in a generation to invest in gender equality and accelerate momentum for women’s safety, leadership and economic opportunity1.”
Julia Simon participated to a panel titled “Building a Transformative Strategy for Gender-Responsive Procurement,” aiming at creating awareness of the disproportionately complex and interconnected barriers on women’s entrepreneurship and promoting gender-responsive procurement. Globally, 1 in 3 businesses are owned by women2, yet women win only 1% of the procurement spend of governments and large corporations3.Speakers shared insights and concrete advice substantiated by their own journey on how to implement a GRP strategy.
At the Paris Forum, Mary Kay also joined four of the Generation Equality Action Coalitions through policy, programmatic, and advocacy commitments: Economic Justice and Rights; Feminist Action for Climate Justice; Gender-based Violence and Innovation and Technology. 50,000 people virtually engaged in the Forum which gathered 1,000 commitment-makers, recorded $40 billion of investments for gender equality in support of a 5-year plan to act for equal across 6 areas of action.
These engagements are the latest of a series of Mary Kay’s advocacy efforts in support of women’s economic empowerment and gender equality at high level meetings around the world alongside its UN partners and local strategic partners.
- On March 16, 2021, Deborah Gibbins, Mary Kay’s COO, joined the UN Global Compact Target Gender Equality meeting to discuss how Mary Kay empowers women entrepreneurs in nearly 40 countries. Gibbins highlighted the data freshly released by the World Bank4 revealing that, on average across the world, women have three quarters the legal rights of men. She challenged companies to take a stand against legal discriminations and advocate for reforms to close the gaps so that women can achieve their full potential. The event brought together over 5,000 people from the business sector, the United Nations, member states, and civil society organizations from over 100 countries, with 75% of the participants representing the private sector.
- On March 24, 2021, on the sidelines of the Commission on the Status of Women (CSW65), Gibbins participated in a panel hosted by the Women’s Empowerment Accelerator (WEA) titled “Women Leading Economic Recovery Through Entrepreneurship” where she highlighted the need for public-private sector partnerships to help shape an enabling ecosystem for women entrepreneurs. Incepted by Mary Kay in collaboration with 5 UN agencies, The Women’s Entrepreneurship Accelerator was featured as an example of the unique impact of multi-partnership to accelerate change.
- On March 26-April 4, Edita Szabóová, General Manager of Mary Kay Czech Republic and Slovakia, shared remarks at the Equal Pay Day Conference where she stressed the importance of “women supporting women,” and highlighted the work of Mary Kay in nurturing women entrepreneurs through training, leadership, and mentorship. “When women come together, we can achieve extraordinary things for the benefit of women and humanity at large. Because we know that if we lift one, we lift all. At its core, Mary Kay develops and trains entrepreneurs, who, in turn, get to build their own businesses and write their own stories and legacy for their daughters,” said Szabóová.
- On June 15-16, 2021, at the UN Global Compact Leaders Summit, Gibbins spoke at the “Women In Sustainability: Innovating In A Man’s World” main stage session advocating for women entrepreneurs as the role models needed for the economy and society. She also emphasized the critical mission of the Women’s Entrepreneurship Accelerator incepted by Mary Kay together with 5 UN agency partners: UN Women, the UN Global Compact, International Trade Centre, the International Labour Organization and the UN Development Programme. The Accelerator has committed to educating and empowering 5 million women entrepreneurs over the next 10 years. “Women entrepreneurship will play a key role in the successful pandemic recovery. This is why the mission of the Women’s Entrepreneurship Accelerator is so timely. And, this is why women entrepreneurs need a framework of this magnitude,” said Gibbins. The annual Summit convened virtually more than 25,000 leaders from business, government, the UN, and civil society, to take stock of the state of progress and to drive collective action towards alleviating climate crisis, global pandemic, economic disparities, and social inequalities.
- On July 6, in Ekaterinburg, Mary Kay joined the International Industrial Trade Fair INNOPROM-2021 the main industrial, trade and export platform in Russia. Guest speaker at a panel hosted by UN Women titled “UN Women Programs for the Promotion and Development of Gender-Based Entrepreneurship,” Mary Kay highlighted the critical importance of gender-responsive procurement strategies and emphasized that the pandemic also brings a unique opportunity to advance action and to support women’s businesses around the world.
About Mary Kay
One of the original glass ceiling breakers, Mary Kay Ash founded her beauty company almost 58 years ago with three goals: develop rewarding opportunities for women, offer irresistible products, and make the world a better place. That dream has blossomed into a multibillion-dollar company with millions of independent sales force members in nearly 40 countries. Mary Kay is dedicated to investing in the science behind beauty and manufacturing cutting-edge skin care, color cosmetics, nutritional supplements and fragrances. Mary Kay is committed to empowering women and their families by partnering with organizations from around the world, focusing on supporting cancer research, protecting survivors from domestic abuse, beautifying our communities, and encouraging children to follow their dreams. Mary Kay Ash’s original vision continues to shine—one lipstick at a time. Learn more at www.marykay.com
2 World Bank (2020). Enterprise Surveys, World Bank Gender Data Portal cited by World Bank Blogs (2020) Women entrepreneurs needed – stat!
3 Vazquez and Sherman (2014). Cited by UN Women (2017) The Power of Procurement: How to source from women-owned businesses.
4 Women, Business and the Law, 2021. A report conducted in 190 countries.
To view this piece of content from cts.businesswire.com, please give your consent at the top of this page.
Mary Kay Inc. Corporate Communications
(+1) 972.687.5332 or firstname.lastname@example.org
About Business Wire
Subscribe to releases from Business Wire
Subscribe to all the latest releases from Business Wire by registering your e-mail address below. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Latest releases from Business Wire
NetApp Expands Hybrid Cloud Solutions Portfolio to Unlock Best of Cloud20.10.2021 17:00:00 CEST | Press release
Today at INSIGHT 2021, NetApp® (NASDAQ: NTAP), a global cloud-led, data-centric software company, announced new additions and enhanced capabilities across its hybrid cloud portfolio to help organizations modernize their IT infrastructures and accelerate digital transformation. Delivering new secure ways to consume and operate data services on-premises and in the cloud, NetApp hybrid cloud solutions make it simpler for enterprise customers to put their data to work — wherever and whenever they need it. As the only solutions provider with native integrations for the world’s largest public clouds, NetApp’s industry leading ONTAP® software continues to serve as the foundation for hybrid cloud. With the latest release of ONTAP, NetApp is introducing enhanced protection against ransomware, expanded data management capabilities, and NVMe/TCP support for accelerated performance. The company is also announcing new digital wallet capabilities for NetApp Cloud Manager and enhanced data services f
NetApp Simplifies and Speeds Digital Transformation for Customers Through Deep, Industry-Leading Public Cloud Relationships20.10.2021 17:00:00 CEST | Press release
NetApp (NASDAQ: NTAP) a global, cloud-led, data-centric software company, today announced continued growth and momentum helping organizations unlock the best of cloud at less cost, through its collaboration with the world’s three largest public clouds. NetApp’s expansion in the cloud has been driven by customers and supported by these partnerships, accelerating NetApp’s public cloud services’ customer and financial growth by bringing its leading CloudOps and ITOps solutions to existing and new addressable customers. Furthering its investment in the cloud, NetApp acquired Data Mechanics in early fiscal year (FY)’22, and this month announced the intent to acquire CloudCheckr to bolster the Spot by NetApp portfolio’s existing continuous cloud optimization capabilities. This growth, driven by NetApp’s ONTAP data management software, which provides high-performance shared storage for file and block workloads, has propelled the native integration of NetApp’s cloud file services into each of
SkyHive Raises $40M Series B to Reskill Workforces and Advance the Digital Labor Economy20.10.2021 16:00:00 CEST | Press release
SkyHive (the “Company”), the SaaS platform providing workforce transformation and labor market development guidance, today announced a $40 million Series B investment round led by Eldridge, with participation from other investors Allegis Cyber, Accenture Ventures, Workday Ventures, and the Partnership Fund For New York City. Recently recognized by The World Economic Forum as a 2021 Technology Pioneer, SkyHive is solving dislocation in modern labor economics and human capital management using its proprietary Quantum Labor Analysis (QLA) methodology, which is active in 90 countries and 400,000 unique locations worldwide. QLA combines economic theory, workforce modelling, human analytics, and data science to provide real-time insights on workforces and external labor markets. The platform also identifies high-value emerging skillsets and actively helps organizations reskill their professionals. “Reskilling the world at scale and with pace is only achieved by successfully blending art and
Silicon Valley Veterans Launch pulsESG™ — an Integrated SaaS Platform for Enterprise ESG Analysis with $8.5M in Seed Funding from Impact-Driven Investors20.10.2021 15:00:00 CEST | Press release
pulsESG™ today announced the launch of its enterprise environmental, social, and governance (ESG) software as a service (SaaS) platform backed by $8.5 million in seed funding from leading impact-driven investors and led by two Silicon Valley enterprise software veterans. The platform distinguishes itself in the marketplace through features such as model-driven architecture and full integration with both internal sources of data and external investor-facing systems, empowering companies to track and derive insights for ESG compliance and improvement based on stakeholder requirements. The company emerged from stealth mode today and the product is expected to be made generally available in Q1 2022. Led by tech veterans and co-founders Murat Sönmez and Inderjeet Singh, the pulsESG™ platform is designed to take a different approach to ESG analysis than what currently exists in the marketplace by providing comprehensive, auditable, and accurate deep analytics that can be integrated with both
Interaxon Inc. (Muse®) Launches the Latest in Non-Pharmaceutical Sleep Support: EEG-Powered ‘Digital Sleeping Pills’ That Provide Immediate & Intelligent Support for Falling Asleep & Nighttime Interruptions20.10.2021 15:00:00 CEST | Press release
Interaxon Inc. (Muse®), a leading consumer neurotechnology and meditation company, today announced the launch of the second generation of its popular EEG meditation & sleep headband, Muse S. This updated plush brain-sensing headband uses real-time biofeedback to help you learn the art of mediation as well as help you fall asleep, stay asleep and now go back to sleep if you awaken during the night. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20211020005215/en/ Muse today announced the launch of the second generation of its popular EEG meditation & sleep headband, Muse S. This updated plush brain-sensing headband uses real-time biofeedback to help you learn the art of mediation as well as help you fall asleep, stay asleep and now go back to sleep if you awaken during the night. (Photo: Business Wire) Alongside the launch of the updated Muse S headband, Interaxon is launching an intelligent new kind of EEG-powered sleep experi
ExOne Showcases Ability to 3D Print Virtually Any Powder Material in New Corporate Video, “Let’s Make it Right”20.10.2021 14:30:00 CEST | Press release
The ExOne Company (Nasdaq: XONE), the global leader in industrial sand and metal 3D printers using binder jetting technology, today announced that it is open to developing virtually any powder material in partnership with manufacturers for their specific application. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20211020005203/en/ The ExOne Company has released a new corporate video, "Let's Make it Right," showcasing the ability of its sustainable binder jetting technology to 3D print virtually any type of powder. ExOne has already qualified more than 20 metals, ceramics and composites for 3D printing, but is now developing materials such as pulverized concrete and other waste products with customers. (Photo: Business Wire) The material flexibility and sustainability of ExOne’s patented binder jet 3D printing technology is showcased in a new corporate video unveiled today, “Let’s Make it Right.” The video is a celebration of
Workiva Announces 2021 Partner of the Year Award Winners20.10.2021 14:00:00 CEST | Press release
Workiva Inc. (NYSE:WK), the company that simplifies complex work, announced the winners of the 2021 Workiva Partner of the Year Awards. The awards recognize partners that have leveraged their significant industry and solution-specific experience to help customers expand their use of the Workiva platform to drive transparency in reporting and compliance. Award recipients were recognized during the Company’s virtual Global Partner Summit, held October 18 & 19. “Our partners are instrumental in deploying the Workiva platform as a critical component in digital transformations across global enterprises,” said Corey Wells, vice president of partnerships and alliances at Workiva. “It’s an honor to recognize this year’s winners for helping drive the innovation and collaboration that has made a lasting impact on our customers' business.” 2021 Partner of the Year Award Winners Global Partner of the Year - DeloitteGlobal Technology Partner of the Year - FloQastNorth American Advisory Partner of t
In our pressroom you can read all our latest releases, find our press contacts, images, documents and other relevant information about us.Visit our pressroom