Mary Kay Inc. Advocates for Advancing Women’s Economic Empowerment and Gender Equality Through Series of Milestone Commitments & Partnerships Around the World
Mary Kay Inc., a global advocate for women’s empowerment and entrepreneurship, has furthered its commitment to advancing gender parity by releasing a position paper welcoming the European Commission’s Gender Equality Strategy for 2020 – 2025 and by joining the Generation Equality Forum Global Action Coalitions.
This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210720005347/en/
This month, Mary Kay also joined the “Drivers of change” Program at the Generation Equality Forum in Paris, France (June 30 - July 2). (Graphic: Mary Kay Inc.)
The position paper, which can be accessed here, echoes the strategy of the European Union on gender equality. According to the European Union: “The Strategy presents policy objectives and actions to make significant progress by 2025 towards a gender-equal Europe. The goal is a Union where women and men, girls and boys, in all their diversity, are free to pursue their chosen path in life, have equal opportunities to thrive, and can equally participate in and lead our European society.”
“Discriminatory laws, gender bias and stereotyping, violence against women and girls - these are all global issues and must be tackled in partnership with the public and private sectors and civil society organizations across the world,” said Julia Simon, Chief Legal & Diversity Officer at Mary Kay. “Achieving gender equality is critical to the survival of the planet and the rebuilding of more sustainable and thriving economies and societies.”
This month, Mary Kay also joined the “Drivers of change” Program at the Generation Equality Forum in Paris, France (June 30 - July 2). 26 years after the Beijing Declaration, the Generation Equality Forum, convened by UN Women and co-hosted by the governments of Mexico and France, was the “most critical moment in a generation to invest in gender equality and accelerate momentum for women’s safety, leadership and economic opportunity1.”
Julia Simon participated to a panel titled “Building a Transformative Strategy for Gender-Responsive Procurement,” aiming at creating awareness of the disproportionately complex and interconnected barriers on women’s entrepreneurship and promoting gender-responsive procurement. Globally, 1 in 3 businesses are owned by women2, yet women win only 1% of the procurement spend of governments and large corporations3.Speakers shared insights and concrete advice substantiated by their own journey on how to implement a GRP strategy.
At the Paris Forum, Mary Kay also joined four of the Generation Equality Action Coalitions through policy, programmatic, and advocacy commitments: Economic Justice and Rights; Feminist Action for Climate Justice; Gender-based Violence and Innovation and Technology. 50,000 people virtually engaged in the Forum which gathered 1,000 commitment-makers, recorded $40 billion of investments for gender equality in support of a 5-year plan to act for equal across 6 areas of action.
These engagements are the latest of a series of Mary Kay’s advocacy efforts in support of women’s economic empowerment and gender equality at high level meetings around the world alongside its UN partners and local strategic partners.
- On March 16, 2021, Deborah Gibbins, Mary Kay’s COO, joined the UN Global Compact Target Gender Equality meeting to discuss how Mary Kay empowers women entrepreneurs in nearly 40 countries. Gibbins highlighted the data freshly released by the World Bank4 revealing that, on average across the world, women have three quarters the legal rights of men. She challenged companies to take a stand against legal discriminations and advocate for reforms to close the gaps so that women can achieve their full potential. The event brought together over 5,000 people from the business sector, the United Nations, member states, and civil society organizations from over 100 countries, with 75% of the participants representing the private sector.
- On March 24, 2021, on the sidelines of the Commission on the Status of Women (CSW65), Gibbins participated in a panel hosted by the Women’s Empowerment Accelerator (WEA) titled “Women Leading Economic Recovery Through Entrepreneurship” where she highlighted the need for public-private sector partnerships to help shape an enabling ecosystem for women entrepreneurs. Incepted by Mary Kay in collaboration with 5 UN agencies, The Women’s Entrepreneurship Accelerator was featured as an example of the unique impact of multi-partnership to accelerate change.
- On March 26-April 4, Edita Szabóová, General Manager of Mary Kay Czech Republic and Slovakia, shared remarks at the Equal Pay Day Conference where she stressed the importance of “women supporting women,” and highlighted the work of Mary Kay in nurturing women entrepreneurs through training, leadership, and mentorship. “When women come together, we can achieve extraordinary things for the benefit of women and humanity at large. Because we know that if we lift one, we lift all. At its core, Mary Kay develops and trains entrepreneurs, who, in turn, get to build their own businesses and write their own stories and legacy for their daughters,” said Szabóová.
- On June 15-16, 2021, at the UN Global Compact Leaders Summit, Gibbins spoke at the “Women In Sustainability: Innovating In A Man’s World” main stage session advocating for women entrepreneurs as the role models needed for the economy and society. She also emphasized the critical mission of the Women’s Entrepreneurship Accelerator incepted by Mary Kay together with 5 UN agency partners: UN Women, the UN Global Compact, International Trade Centre, the International Labour Organization and the UN Development Programme. The Accelerator has committed to educating and empowering 5 million women entrepreneurs over the next 10 years. “Women entrepreneurship will play a key role in the successful pandemic recovery. This is why the mission of the Women’s Entrepreneurship Accelerator is so timely. And, this is why women entrepreneurs need a framework of this magnitude,” said Gibbins. The annual Summit convened virtually more than 25,000 leaders from business, government, the UN, and civil society, to take stock of the state of progress and to drive collective action towards alleviating climate crisis, global pandemic, economic disparities, and social inequalities.
- On July 6, in Ekaterinburg, Mary Kay joined the International Industrial Trade Fair INNOPROM-2021 the main industrial, trade and export platform in Russia. Guest speaker at a panel hosted by UN Women titled “UN Women Programs for the Promotion and Development of Gender-Based Entrepreneurship,” Mary Kay highlighted the critical importance of gender-responsive procurement strategies and emphasized that the pandemic also brings a unique opportunity to advance action and to support women’s businesses around the world.
About Mary Kay
One of the original glass ceiling breakers, Mary Kay Ash founded her beauty company almost 58 years ago with three goals: develop rewarding opportunities for women, offer irresistible products, and make the world a better place. That dream has blossomed into a multibillion-dollar company with millions of independent sales force members in nearly 40 countries. Mary Kay is dedicated to investing in the science behind beauty and manufacturing cutting-edge skin care, color cosmetics, nutritional supplements and fragrances. Mary Kay is committed to empowering women and their families by partnering with organizations from around the world, focusing on supporting cancer research, protecting survivors from domestic abuse, beautifying our communities, and encouraging children to follow their dreams. Mary Kay Ash’s original vision continues to shine—one lipstick at a time. Learn more at www.marykay.com
2 World Bank (2020). Enterprise Surveys, World Bank Gender Data Portal cited by World Bank Blogs (2020) Women entrepreneurs needed – stat!
3 Vazquez and Sherman (2014). Cited by UN Women (2017) The Power of Procurement: How to source from women-owned businesses.
4 Women, Business and the Law, 2021. A report conducted in 190 countries.
To view this piece of content from cts.businesswire.com, please give your consent at the top of this page.
Mary Kay Inc. Corporate Communications
(+1) 972.687.5332 or email@example.com
About Business Wire
Subscribe to releases from Business Wire
Subscribe to all the latest releases from Business Wire by registering your e-mail address below. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Latest releases from Business Wire
Blackstone and Hudson Pacific Properties Announce Plans for New World-Class Film and TV Studios in the UK2.8.2021 09:00:00 CEST | Press release
Blackstone (NYSE: BX) and Hudson Pacific Properties (NYSE: HPP) plan to create a major new centre for film, TV and digital production in Broxbourne, Hertfordshire. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210802005278/en/ Artist Impression No. 1 (Photo: Business Wire) Funds managed by Blackstone Real Estate Partners and Hudson Pacific Properties acquired a 91-acre site, 17 miles north of central London, through a joint venture for £120 million. The acquisition, with an expected total investment of over £700 million, will be the partners’ first expansion of their Sunset Studios platform outside of the US. The proposed development, which is subject to planning permission, would transform the site into one of the largest world-class film and television studio campuses. The project is expected to create over 4,500 permanent jobs for Broxbourne and the surrounding community and contribute more than £300 million annually int
AMICOGEN Inc. and Lysando AG Bring Partnership to the Next Level With Ownership Participations in Each Other’s Companies2.8.2021 08:00:00 CEST | Press release
South Korean KOSDAQ listed AMICOGEN Inc. will become the latest shareholder in Lysando AG. The transaction includes an acquisition of shares, a cash contribution to Lysando and a share package to Lysando into AMICOGEN. The deal means an 8% participation of AMICOGEN into Lysando and 2.69% in shares for Lysando into AMICOGEN. The transactions were negotiated with a 300 Mio. Euro evaluation of Lysando. Other shareholders of Lysando continue to be majority owner and Chairman of the Board Markus Graf Matuschka von Greiffenclau, Bangkok based SCG, and Lysando’s employees. The companies have already a productive partnership in place, based on Lysando´s leading platform Artilysin®. It is a globally patented, sustainable and highly effective technology, fighting resistance of microbes, as an alternative to antibiotics and other antimicrobial treatments. „I am very happy and proud to welcome AMICOGEN as a new shareholder of Lysando. AMICOGEN being such a strong and successfully operating CDMO, A
Leicester’s Hospitals Awards Deenova a Unit Dose Pharmacy Automation 15 Year Contract2.8.2021 08:00:00 CEST | Press release
Deenova reported today it signed its first ever contract in the United Kingdom, and established operations in Europe’s second largest GDP health care market, with the NHS being the eight largest employer in the world. Deenova was selected by University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust as the best solution amongst 8 of Deenova's competitors in United Kingdom and the United States of America. Claire Ellwood, chief pharmacist at University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust, said: “We’re proud to be working with Deenova to deploy the first unit dose closed loop medicines management system in the UK. Every year, we administer millions of medication doses so it’s vital our processes are as safe and efficient as possible. The partnership with Deenova will increase automation within our medication processes helping to reduce errors and wastage as well as freeing up staff time for other care and tasks. After a successful pilot, we are pleased to start planning the roll out across our three hospi
Ipsen and Exicure Enter Into Exclusive Collaboration Targeting Rare Neurodegenerative Disorders2.8.2021 07:00:00 CEST | Press release
Regulatory News: This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210801005028/en/ Disclaimer: Intended for international media and investor audiences only Ipsen (Euronext: IPN; ADR: IPSEY) and Exicure Inc. (NASDAQ: XCUR) have signed an exclusive collaboration agreement to research, develop, and commercialize novel Spherical Nucleic Acids (SNAs) as potential investigational treatments for Huntington’s disease and Angelman syndrome. Oligonucleotides are synthetic structures of nucleic acids that can be used to modulate gene expression via a range of processes, including gene activation, inhibition, and splice-modulation. These molecules have demonstrated potential in many different therapeutic areas.1 Achieving efficient oligonucleotide delivery to target organs and tissues, including the brain, remains a major limitation to their use.1,2 Exicure’s SNAs provide distinct chemical and biochemical properties to oligonucleotides. I
Arqit Releases QuantumCloud™ to Deliver Stronger, Simpler Encryption2.8.2021 06:20:00 CEST | Press release
Arqit Limited (“Arqit”), a leader in quantum encryption technology announces the release of the first version of its service, QuantumCloud™ 1.0. This Platform‑as‑a‑Service software enables customers to secure the communications channels and data of any cloud, edge or end-point device. The service combines transformational and unique advances in both quantum and classical cryptography. The release of QuantumCloud™ 1.0 allows customers to secure devices globally by providing a strong device authentication capability, over which is layered the agreement of symmetric keys between authenticated and authorised devices. Importantly, since there are no asymmetric cryptographic primitives used within the trustless key agreement protocol, the keys can be regarded as safe against future attack using Shor’s algorithm running on a quantum computer. A range of other features will be added in future quarters, culminating in the launch of Arqit’s proprietary quantum satellites, which is targeted for 2
Arqit Registration Statement Related to Business Combination With Centricus Acquisition Corp. Declared Effective By SEC2.8.2021 06:04:00 CEST | Press release
Arqit Limited (“Arqit”), a leader in quantum encryption technology today announced the Registration Statement on Form F-4 in connection with the previously announced business combination (the “Business Combination”) with Centricus Acquisition Corp. (“Centricus”) (Nasdaq: CENHU, CENH, CENHUW), a publicly-listed special purpose acquisition company, has been declared effective by the Securities and Exchange Commission (the “SEC”). Upon closing, the ordinary shares and warrants of Arqit Quantum Inc., a company formed for purposes of completing the Business Combination, will be listed on NASDAQ under the new ticker symbols “ARQQ” and “ARQQW.” The boards of directors of Arqit and Centricus have unanimously approved the Business Combination, and Centricus has set 9:00 a.m. ET on August 31, 2021 as the time and date for an extraordinary general meeting of shareholders to approve the proposals associated with the Business Combination. The proxy statement/prospectus contains important informatio
Takeda Receives Decision by the Irish Tax Appeals Commission Relating to Tax Assessment on Break Fee Shire Received from AbbVie2.8.2021 01:30:00 CEST | Press release
Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited (TSE:4502/NYSE:TAK) (“Takeda”) today announced the receipt of a decision by the Irish Tax Appeals Commission on July 30, 2021 (IST) to uphold the Irish Revenue Commissioners’ position related to the treatment of a break fee received by Shire plc (“Shire”) in October 2014 from AbbVie Inc. (“AbbVie”). Shire was acquired by Takeda in January 2019. Takeda intends to challenge this outcome through all available legal means including appealing the decision to the Irish courts. On November 28, 2018, Shire received a tax assessment from the Irish Revenue Commissioners for 398 million EUR. This assessment sought to tax a 1,635 million USD break fee Shire received from AbbVie in connection with the terminated offer to acquire Shire made by AbbVie in 2014. Takeda appealed this assessment, and in late 2020 a hearing took place before the Irish Tax Appeals Commission. While Takeda is continuing to assess the substance of the decision, the company will record a
In our pressroom you can read all our latest releases, find our press contacts, images, documents and other relevant information about us.Visit our pressroom