Mary Kay Inc. Releases 2020-21 Sustainability & Social Impact Strategic Summary Report Highlighting Global Sustainability and Social Impact Goals Through 2030
Mary Kay Inc., a global advocate for corporate social responsibility, today released its sustainability strategy Enriching Lives Today for a Sustainable Tomorrow and its 2020-21 Sustainability & Social Impact Strategic Summary Report.
This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210913005253/en/
Enriching Lives Today For A Sustainable Tomorrow logo (Graphic: Mary Kay Inc.)
“It’s about more than us—it always has been,” said Deborah Gibbins, Chief Operating Officer at Mary Kay Inc. “The cosmetics and personal care industries are in transition as companies evolve to meet the growing demands for environmentally conscious, transparent operations and cleaner, ethically sourced products. Mary Kay believes in and supports this evolution.”
Enriching Lives Today for a Sustainable Tomorrow extends Mary Kay’s vision to 2030 and beyond. It builds a picture of what good “looks like” for Mary Kay, Independent Beauty Consultants, customers and—most importantly—the planet. Enriching Lives Today for a Sustainable Tomorrow was developed with Mary Kay’s key stakeholders and is aligned with the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals, making Mary Kay a key part of a global coalition to ensure a better future.
“While there have been meaningful initiatives implemented throughout the industry—and within Mary Kay itself—so much work remains to find long-term solutions to the environmental and socio-economic challenges ahead,” added Gibbins. “For nearly 60 years, Mary Kay has strived to enrich women’s lives, advance the field of skin health, and create positive community impact around the world. We’re thrilled to take the next important step on our journey.”
Sustainability Report Highlights Includes:
- Mary Kay announces its global sustainability strategy: Enriching Lives Today for a Sustainable Tomorrow. Our holistic approach encompasses three pillars of sustainability—economic, environmental and social—through five pillars, activated by 15 commitments to deliver a decade of sustainable action.
- Mary Kay will contribute to 15 of the 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) defined by the United Nations and has undertaken its priorities and commitments in the context of leading global mandates including: the Ten Principles of the United Nations Global Compact, the seven Women’s Empowerment Principles, the CEO Water Mandate, and the Sustainable Ocean Principles.
- Key Commitment Targets to Achieve by 2030:
- Reduce by 30%: plastic intensity, carbon (Scopes 1 and 2) and water utilization.
- Empower 5 million women worldwide through entrepreneurship skills development.
- Provide support to over 10 million survivors of gender-based and domestic violence worldwide.
In 2020 and the first half of 2021, Mary Kay continued to build on its legacy of sustainability and advocacy. Below are some of the notable highlights.
- 100% of U.S.-based Directors and above completed mandatory Unconscious Bias training.
- Gender Diversity in the Workplace: 54% of Mary Kay’s global executive team is female; 61% of Mary Kay’s global workforce is female; and 54% of Global Vice Presidents and above are female; 59% of Directors and above are female (March 2021).
- Conducted a third-party Business Verification and Diversity Data Report to inform our current supply chain involving Women, Minority or Veteran Owned businesses: As of February 2021 (USA only supply chain data): 12% of Mary Kay’s Indirect Suppliers are Women, Minority or Veteran Owned; 5% of Mary Kay’s Direct Suppliers are Women, Minority or Veteran Owned.
- In our global product portfolio, we currently offer more than 80 different foundations—in a broad range of shades and finishes—to best match the beautiful spectrum of diversity for skin tones.
- 77% of the artists contributing to our global marketing campaigns were women-owned businesses (photographers, directors, designers, makeup artists, hair stylists, producers, etc.).
- Became a member of the Sustainable Packaging Initiative for Cosmetics (SPICE). The mission of SPICE is to drive the future of sustainable packaging for cosmetics to make significant progress in three key areas: guide sustainable packaging policy, drive packaging innovation, and provide consumers transparency.
- Joined the Ellen MacArthur Foundation as a member of its Network, as part of its commitment to becoming a more sustainable, circular business.
- The Mary Kay world headquarters, global manufacturing facility, and global distribution and automated storage & retrieval system (ASRS), all located in Texas, U.S.A., are powered by 100 percent renewable energy.
- A detailed baseline analysis was initiated in 2019 and continued in 2020, to determine our carbon footprint. From the first phase of the analysis, a goal of a 30% reduction of total greenhouse gases (GHG) for Scopes 1 & 2 was implemented as a sustainability target. In 2021, phase two consisting of a baseline analysis of GHG for Scope 3, was initiated with a target to develop a goal by first quarter of 2022.
- A founding member of two global initiatives in collaboration with the Arbor Day Foundation: Evergreen Alliance and Time for Trees Initiative; and is a member of the Trillion Tree Initiative.
- Became a signatory to two crucial causes in protecting our world’s waterways: the CEO Water Mandate and the United Nations Global Compact’s Sustainable Ocean Principles.
- Became an Action Coalition Commitment Maker on four Generation Equality Action Coalitions: Gender-Based Violence; Economic Justice and Rights; Feminist Action for Climate Justice; and Technology and Innovation for Gender Equality (2021-2026)
- Launched the Women’s Entrepreneurship Accelerator in 2019, a global initiative to bring entrepreneurship through education and empower women entrepreneurs through four Pathways of Empowerment: Education, Funding, Advocacy, and Participation, serving as an entrepreneurship accelerator for all women, everywhere.
- Supported the UN Global Compact to develop a small and mid-size enterprises (SMEs) toolkit for the Women’s Empowerment Principles from UN Women to its 6,000 SMEs membership and general use for companies around the world to support women’s equality.
Global Social Impact & Local Community
- The Mary Kay Ash Foundation had nearly 40 innovative cancer research and clinical trials projects and researchers in its pipeline; 42% of the innovative cancer research projects are led by women, while 100 percent of the clinical trials are women-led.
- Mary Kay Inc. and the Mary Kay Ash Foundation supported 667 organizations committed to the life-saving work of organizations advocating for eradicating gender-based violence and funding women’s shelters providing critical support services, reaching over 2 million women and girls through 786 unique projects in over 138 different countries.
- Since 2008, Mary Kay’s global Pink Changing Lives cause empowerment program has impacted more than six million women and their families by partnering with over 3,000 organizations around the world, donating over $16 million. In 2020, over $775,000 was donated to organizations around the world.
Enriching Lives Today for a Sustainable Tomorrow
Five Pillars and 15 Commitments Overview
- Our People: Cultivate EMPLOYEE ENGAGEMENT by living our company values and nurturing our corporate culture.
- Diversity, Equity & Inclusion: Understand through KNOWLEDGE, demand ACTION, ensure sustainable, long-lasting CHANGE
- Transparency & Advocacy: Lead through TRANSPARENCY and support through ADVOCACY
- Plastics & Packaging: REDUCE plastic intensity by 30%
- Recycling & Circular Economy: 90% of paper packaging made from RECYCLED CONTENT
- Sustainable Sourcing: MINIMIZE our environmental impact, support small businesses, and nurture community benefits.
- Carbon: REDUCE carbon (Scopes 1 and 2) by 30%
- Water: REDUCE water utilization by 30%
- Operational Waste: DIVERT 60% of operational waste from landfill
- Equality: DEVELOP a 10-year policy agenda to address women’s rights issues
- Economic Empowerment: EMPOWER 5 million women worldwide
- Education: ACCESS to education for 250,000 girls and women globally
- Cancer Research: FUND over 400,000 research hours
- Gender Based Violence: SUPPORT over 10 million women worldwide with support services
- Global Social Impact & Community Support: COLLABORATE for change with over 500 organizations
About Mary Kay
One of the original glass ceiling breakers, Mary Kay Ash founded her beauty company 58 years ago with three goals: develop rewarding opportunities for women, offer irresistible products, and make the world a better place. That dream has blossomed into a multibillion-dollar company with millions of independent sales force members in nearly 40 countries. Mary Kay is dedicated to investing in the science behind beauty and manufacturing cutting-edge skin care, color cosmetics, and fragrances. Mary Kay is committed to empowering women and their families by partnering with organizations from around the world, focusing on supporting cancer research, protecting survivors from domestic abuse, beautifying our communities, and encouraging children to follow their dreams. Mary Kay Ash’s original vision continues to shine—one lipstick at a time. Learn more at MaryKayGlobal.com.
To view this piece of content from cts.businesswire.com, please give your consent at the top of this page.
Mary Kay Inc. Corporate Communications
(+1) 972.687.5332 or firstname.lastname@example.org
About Business Wire
Subscribe to releases from Business Wire
Subscribe to all the latest releases from Business Wire by registering your e-mail address below. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Latest releases from Business Wire
IFF Appoints Glenn Richter as Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer16.9.2021 22:15:00 CEST | Press release
IFF (NYSE: IFF) today announced that Glenn Richter, an accomplished financial executive with nearly three decades of experience overseeing finance and corporate strategy for multinational companies, has been appointed Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer, effective September 27, 2021. Mr. Richter was most recently Chief Financial Officer of TIAA, a leading global provider of financial services with $1.3 trillion in assets under management. He succeeds Rustom Jilla, who will be leaving the Company following a period of transition. With this appointment, Mr. Richter becomes a member of IFF’s Executive Committee and will be based in the Company’s New York City headquarters. “We are delighted to welcome Glenn to our leadership team. His experience leading large, global finance departments, implementing multi-year strategic productivity initiatives and managing transformative integrations will be a tremendous asset to our team,” said Andreas Fibig, Chairman and Chief Executi
The NAGA Group AG: Christian Angermayer's Apeiron Investment Group and Fosun Join Forces to Further Drive NAGA Growth16.9.2021 22:00:00 CEST | Press release
NAGA Group AG (XETRA: N4G, ISIN: DE000A161NR7), provider of the social network for trading, cryptocurrencies and payments NAGA.com, announces its largest equity financing round to date and welcomes Apeiron Investment Group Ltd, the private investment company of entrepreneur and investor Christian Angermayer, and Igor Lychagov, founder of Exness (one of the world's largest brokerage firms with a monthly trading volume of USD 1 trillion) as new strategic and long-term investors. Hauck & Aufhäuser acted as sole bookrunner in the transaction. In addition to participating in the capital increase, Apeiron has entered into a share purchase agreement with its Elevat3 strategy, operating in partnership with Peter Thiel's Founders Fund, to purchase a block of shares from FOSUN Group and is in negotiations to acquire additional shares from other shareholders. These transactions are subject to regulatory approvals. In total and upon full completion, Apeiron is targeting a stake of approximately 22
Landmark Celebrates 30 Years as the Industry Leader in Personal & Professional Growth, Training and Development16.9.2021 20:00:00 CEST | Press release
Landmark (Landmark Worldwide), established in 1991, celebrates its 30th anniversary with more than three million people across the globe having been positively and powerfully contributed to and empowered by its programs. Marking a related anniversary, it was 50 years ago that the ideas that grew into Landmark were born with the delivery of the first est Training in 1971. As the leader in the personal and professional growth, training and development industry, Landmark’s programs and ideas have empowered people for five decades to dramatically elevate the quality of their lives and, in addition, to impact the areas of their lives that matter most to them. Marketdata Enterprises, Inc., publishers of the definitive report on the personal development industry in the United States, stated in their 2021 report: “Landmark was named one of the top training and development companies in the world by HR.com/James McNeil.” “Landmark is recognized for having one of the best faculty bodies in the bu
ISACA to Host Inaugural ISACA Conference Europe Virtual Event16.9.2021 19:21:00 CEST | Press release
Next month, ISACA will host the first-ever ISACA Conference Europe, an event focused on emerging technologies, best practices, and leadership development. The conference will take place virtually 20-22 October featuring topics for business technology professionals as they navigate their transformational roles. ISACA Conference Europe sessions range from 25-75 minutes in length and provide the opportunity to earn up to 19 continuing professional education credits. Conference tracks focus on IT audit, IT governance, COBIT, CMMI, cybersecurity, privacy, risk, performance improvement, emerging technologies, and leadership development & career management. Sessions will be presented live via ISACA’s virtual conference platform, and many will feature a live Q&A with speakers. Attendees will have extended access to the sessions and content so they may view them at their own pace. Session topics include data ethics laws, blockchain, CMMI V2.0, cloud security, auditing artificial intelligence, q
Virpax ® Pharmaceuticals Announces Closing of $40 Million Public Offering of Common Stock16.9.2021 19:00:00 CEST | Press release
Virpax® Pharmaceuticals Inc. (“Virpax” or the “Company”) (NASDAQ:VRPX), a company specializing in developing pharmaceutical products for pain management, today announced the closing of an underwritten public offering of 6,670,000 shares of its common stock at a public offering price of $6.00 per share, for gross proceeds of $40,020,000, before deducting underwriting discounts and offering expenses. In addition, Virpax has granted the underwriters a 45-day option to purchase up to an additional 1,000,500 shares of common stock to cover over-allotments at the public offering price, less the underwriting discount. Virpax intends to use the net proceeds from the offering to fund research and development of the Epoladerm, Probudur, Envelta and AnQlar indications and other development programs, pay fees and expenses associated with the offering, repay outstanding promissory notes issued to the Company’s Chief Executive Officer and pay deferred compensation due to the Company’s Chief Executiv
Verimatrix To Highlight Success In Enabling Secure Virtual Hollywood Events at Variety Entertainment & Technology Summit16.9.2021 17:45:00 CEST | Press release
Regulatory News: Verimatrix, (Paris:VMX), the leader in powering the modern connected world with people-centered security, today announced that Jon Samsel, Senior Vice President of Marketing, will discuss the value of harnessing security as a differentiator for the M&E industry during the upcoming virtual Variety Entertainment & Technology Summit. On Thursday, September 23, 2021 from 10:50 to 11:20 a.m. Pacific Time, Samsel will take part in a panel alongside Little Cinema Digital CEO Jay Rinsky and moderator Todd Spangler, NY Digital Editor at Variety. Register for free today. Titled, “Security That's Transforming Hollywood: The Little Cinema Digital Story,” the online event serves as an opportunity for attendees to learn how Verimatrix and Little Cinema Digital collaborated to transform the traditional Hollywood movie premiere business into an immersive virtual event platform that breaks down traditional limitations of venue capacities or locations. By leading with security, the comp
Exactech’s Equinoxe® Stemless Shoulder Replacement System Debuts in Europe16.9.2021 16:06:00 CEST | Press release
Exactech, a developer and producer of innovative implants, instrumentation and smart technologies for joint replacement surgery, announced today that the first anatomic total shoulder surgery has been performed in Europe using its bone-conserving, 3D-printed Equinoxe® Stemless Shoulder. Prof. Mark Tauber, MD, PhD, of Athos Klinik in Munich, Germany, performed the first surgery earlier this month. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210916005561/en/ Prof. Mark Tauber, MD, PhD, of Athos Klinik in Munich, Germany performed the first surgery in Europe using Exactech's bone-conserving, 3D-printed Equinoxe® Stemless Shoulder (Photo: Business Wire) “It was wonderful to be the first user of the Exactech Stemless humeral component in Europe,” Tauber said. “I’ve used stemless implants with various systems since 2007, so I know what we are talking about and have to congratulate Exactech for this product. The user-friendly in
In our pressroom you can read all our latest releases, find our press contacts, images, documents and other relevant information about us.Visit our pressroom