Minerva Neurosciences Reports Second Quarter 2017 Financial Results and Business Updates
FDA feedback on clinical trial design and completion of bridging study with new formulation enable initiation of Phase 3 trial with MIN-101 to treat negative symptoms of schizophrenia in second half of 2017
Amended agreement with Janssen supports dual focus of clinical development with MIN-202 in insomnia and major depressive disorder
Extended financial runway allows for timely advancement of clinical development with multiple product candidates
WALTHAM, Mass., Aug. 03, 2017 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Minerva Neurosciences, Inc. (NASDAQ:NERV), a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company focused on the development of therapies to treat central nervous system (CNS) disorders, today reported key business updates and financial results for the quarter ended June 30, 2017.
"A highly productive second quarter of 2017 included progress on a number of fronts related to clinical trial preparation, business development and financing activities," said Dr. Remy Luthringer, president and chief executive officer of Minerva. "This progress will support the timely initiation of five late-stage clinical efficacy trials with three product candidates by the end of 2017."
· Following an "end-of-Phase 2 meeting" with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), the Company is finalizing the design of a pivotal Phase 3 trial of MIN-101 to treat negative symptoms in patients with a diagnosis of schizophrenia. Key elements in this design include:
- A three-month randomized, double blind placebo controlled core stage followed by a nine-month extension phase;
- Monotherapy administration of MIN-101;
- Testing of the same daily doses, 32 milligrams (mg) and 64 mg, as those used in the successfully completed Phase 2b study;
- Primary outcome of improvement in negative symptoms;
- Recruitment of approximately 500 patients from approximately 60 clinical sites, one third of whom will come from the U.S.;
- Recruitment of patients who have been symptomatically stable in terms of positive and negative symptoms for six months, with moderate to severe negative symptoms.
· The Company has recently completed a bridging study to identify a new, improved formulation of MIN-101 to be used in the Phase 3 trial. The improved formulation is designed to provide bioequivalent exposures with the Phase 2b formulation while enhancing the safety profile of the compound.
· The Phase 3 trial is planned to be initiated on schedule in the second half of 2017, and we expect to release top-line results from the three-month double blind phase of the trial in the first half of 2019.
· The Company announced on May 31, 2017 that it entered into an amended agreement with Janssen, conditional upon final approval by the European Commission, whereby Minerva will gain strategic control of the development of MIN-202 to treat insomnia. Janssen will forego its right to royalties on MIN-202 insomnia sales in Minerva territories. Minerva will retain all of its current rights to MIN-202 in all indications.
· Key financial terms of the amended agreement include payments to Minerva by Janssen of $30 million on final approval by the European Commission, $20 million at the start of a Phase 3 insomnia trial and $20 million when 50% of the patients are enrolled in this trial. Janssen will waive all remaining costs payable by Minerva (approximately $13 million) to completion of Phase 2 development of this compound. Minerva will assume all responsibility for Phase 3 development costs in insomnia and contribute 40% of Phase 3 development costs in other indications, including major depressive disorder (MDD).
· All Minerva stock currently owned by Johnson & Johnson Innovation - JJDC, Inc., totaling approximately 3.9 million shares and representing approximately 10% of total Minerva shares outstanding at June 30, 2017 will be repurchased by Minerva at par value of $.0001 per share or approximately $389 in total.
· Three Phase 2b trials with MIN-202 are planned for initiation before the end of 2017, including two trials in patients suffering from MDD and one in insomnia disorder without neuropsychiatric comorbid symptoms.
· A Phase 2b clinical trial with MIN-117 in MDD is planned for initiation in late 2017 and expected to include patients who have both mood and anxiety disorders.
· The Company currently plans to define a primary endpoint of MDD and a secondary endpoint of anxiety in this trial, building upon previous Phase 2a clinical results that showed effects in both depressive symptomatology and anxiety, as well pharmacodynamic effects showing the preservation of sleep continuity and architecture with no detrimental effects on rapid eye movement sleep distribution and duration.
· Minerva is planning to advance its pre-clinical stage compound, MIN-301, into the initial stage of clinical development as a treatment for Parkinson's disease.
· MIN-301 is a recombinant protein with the extra-cellular domain of neuregulin-1 beta primarily activating the ErbB4 receptor. Pre-clinically, MIN-301 has been shown to cross the blood-brain barrier and to have neuro-protective and neuro-restorative effects.
· The next planned steps in the MIN-301 program, after completion of the regular toxicology studies and final production of the GMP batch, will include filing an Investigational New Drug application (IND) and/or Investigational Medicinal Product Dossier (IMPD).
· The Company completed a public offering of 5,750,000 shares of common stock, including 750,000 shares sold pursuant to the underwriters' full exercise of their option to purchase additional shares, on July 5, 2017 that resulted in net proceeds of approximately $41.5 million. These resources will support the continued clinical development of MIN-101, MIN-202 and MIN-117, as well as the initial clinical development of MIN-301 for Parkinson's disease.
Second Quarter 2017 Financial Results
· Cash Position: Cash, cash equivalents and marketable securities as of June 30, 2017 were approximately $77.6 million, compared to $83.0 million as of December 31, 2016.
· R&D Expenses: Research and development (R&D) expenses were $7.1 million in the second quarter of 2017, compared to $2.7 million in the second quarter of 2016, an increase in total expense of $4.4 million. R&D expense in the three months ended June 30, 2017 and 2016 included non-cash stock-based compensation expenses of $0.5 million and $0.2 million, respectively. This increase in R&D expenses primarily reflects higher development expenses under the MIN-202 program for Phase 2 clinical trial preparation, increased expenses for the MIN-101 program and an increase in non-cash stock-based compensation expenses. These amounts were partially offset by reduced costs related to our Phase 2a clinical trial of MIN-117 due to its completion in May 2016.
For the six months ended June 30, 2017, R&D expenses were $14.8 million, compared to $8.1 million for the six months ended June 30, 2016, an increase in total expense of $6.7 million. R&D expense in the six months ended June 30, 2017 and 2016 included non-cash stock-based compensation expenses of $1.0 million and $0.5 million, respectively. This increase in R&D expenses primarily reflects higher development expenses under the MIN-202 program for Phase 2 clinical trial preparation, increased expenses for the MIN-101 program and an increase in non-cash stock-based compensation expenses. These amounts were partially offset by reduced costs related to our Phase 2a clinical trial of MIN-117 due to its completion in May 2016.
· G&A Expenses: General and administrative (G&A) expenses were $2.6 million in the second quarter of 2017, compared to $2.3 million in the second quarter of 2016, an increase of approximately $0.3 million. G&A expense in the three months ended June 30, 2017 and 2016 included non-cash stock-based compensation expenses of $0.7 million and $0.6 million, respectively. This increase was primarily due to an increase in professional fees during the three months ended June 30, 2016.
For the six months ended June 30, 2017, G&A expenses were $5.5 million, compared to $4.6 million for the same period in 2016, an increase of approximately $0.9 million. G&A expense in the six months ended June 30, 2017 and 2016 included non-cash stock-based compensation expenses of $1.5 million and $1.2 million, respectively. This increase was primarily due to an increase in professional fees during the six months ended June 30, 2017.
· Net Loss: Net loss was $9.8 million for the second quarter of 2017, or a loss per share of $0.27 (basic and diluted), as compared to a net loss of $5.2 million, or a loss per share of $0.18 (basic and diluted) for the second quarter of 2016. Net loss was $20.4 million for the first six months of 2017, or a loss per share of $0.57 (basic and diluted), as compared to a net loss of $13.2 million, or a loss per share of $0.47 (basic and diluted) for the first six months of 2016.
Conference Call Information:
Minerva Neurosciences will host a conference call and live audio webcast today at 8:30 a.m. Eastern Time to discuss the quarter and recent business activities. To participate, please dial (877) 312-5845 (domestic) or (765) 507-2618 (international) and refer to conference ID 53086270.
The live webcast can be accessed under "Events and Presentations" in the Investors and Media section of Minerva's website at ir.minervaneurosciences.com. The archived webcast will be available on the website beginning approximately two hours after the event for 90 days.
About Minerva Neurosciences:
Minerva Neurosciences, Inc. is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company focused on the development and commercialization of a portfolio of products to treat CNS diseases. Minerva's proprietary compounds include: MIN-101, in clinical development for schizophrenia; MIN-202 (JNJ-42847922), in clinical development for insomnia and major depressive disorder (MDD); MIN-117, in clinical development for MDD; and MIN-301, in pre-clinical development for Parkinson's disease. Minerva's common stock is listed on the NASDAQ Global Market under the symbol "NERV." For more information, please visit www.minervaneurosciences.com.
Forward-Looking Safe Harbor Statement
This press release contains forward-looking statements which are subject to the safe harbor provisions of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995, as amended. Forward-looking statements are statements that are not historical facts, reflect management's expectations as of the date of this press release, and involve certain risks and uncertainties. Forward-looking statements include statements herein with respect to: the improved formulation of MIN-101 to be used in the planned Phase 3 trial of MIN-101; the approval by the European Commission of the amendment to our co-development agreement with Janssen and the related stock repurchase agreement; our ability to negotiate and execute the definitive agreements described above; the timing and results of future clinical milestones with MIN-202 in insomnia and major depressive disorder, including the timing and scope of future clinical trials and results of clinical trials with this compound; the timing and outcomes of future interactions with U.S. and foreign regulatory bodies; our agreements with Janssen related to MIN-202; our ability to successfully develop and commercialize MIN-101, MIN-202, MIN-117 and MIN-301; the sufficiency of our current cash position to fund our operations; and management's ability to successfully achieve its goals. These forward-looking statements are based on our current expectations and may differ materially from actual results due to a variety of factors including, without limitation, the inherent uncertainty in approval by the European Commission of the amendment to our co-development agreement with Janssen and the related stock repurchase agreement; whether MIN-101, MIN-202, MIN-117 and MIN-301 will advance further in the clinical trials process and whether and when, if at all, it will receive final approval from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration or equivalent foreign regulatory agencies and for which indications; whether the results of future clinical trials of MIN-101, MIN-202, MIN-117 and MIN-301, if any, will be consistent with the results of past clinical trials; whether MIN-101, MIN-202, MIN-117 and MIN-301 will be successfully marketed if approved; whether any of our therapeutic product discovery and development efforts will be successful; our ability to achieve the results contemplated by our co-development agreements; management's ability to successfully achieve its goals; our ability to raise additional capital to fund our operations on terms acceptable to us; and general economic conditions. These and other potential risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ from the results predicted are more fully detailed under the caption "Risk Factors" in our filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including our Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q for the quarter ended June 30, 2017, filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on August 3, 2017. Copies of reports filed with the SEC are posted on our website at www.minervaneurosciences.com . The forward-looking statements in this press release are based on information available to us as of the date hereof, and we disclaim any obligation to update any forward-looking statements, except as required by law.
|CONDENSED CONSOLIDATED BALANCE SHEET DATA|
|June 30,||December 31,|
|Cash and cash equivalents||$||50,191||$||82,981|
|Prepaid expenses and other current assets||423||803|
|Total current assets||78,075||83,864|
|In-process research and development||34,200||34,200|
|Deferred public offering costs||233||-|
|LIABILITIES AND STOCKHOLDERS' EQUITY|
|Notes payable - current portion||$||5,067||$||4,854|
|Accrued expenses and other current liabilities||1,443||816|
|Accrued collaborative expenses||6,646||2,548|
|Total current liabilities||14,588||9,685|
|Notes payable - noncurrent||1,326||3,841|
|Additional paid-in capital||251,311||238,837|
|Total stockholders' equity||98,032||105,983|
|Total Liabilities and Stockholders' Equity||$||127,380||$||132,943|
|CONDENSED CONSOLIDATED STATEMENTS OF OPERATIONS|
|Three Months Ended June 30,||Six Months Ended June 30,|
|(in thousands, except per share amounts)||(in thousands, except per share amounts)|
|Research and development||7,144||2,714||14,758||8,089|
|General and administrative||2,601||2,250||5,472||4,632|
|Total operating expenses||9,745||4,964||20,230||12,721|
|Foreign exchange losses||(20||)||(16||)||(37||)||(25||)|
|Loss per share:|
|Basic and diluted||$||(0.27||)||$||(0.18||)||$||(0.57||)||$||(0.47||)|
|Weighted average shares:|
|Basic and diluted||36,720||29,122||36,048||28,163|
William B. Boni
VP, Investor Relations/
Minerva Neurosciences, Inc.
The issuer of this announcement warrants that they are solely responsible for the content, accuracy and originality of the information contained therein.
Source: Minerva Neurosciences, Inc. via Globenewswire
Följ NASDAQ OMX
Abonnera på våra pressmeddelanden.
Senaste pressmeddelandena från NASDAQ OMX
Oxford Immunotec and QIAGEN N.V. Settle Patent Infringement Lawsuit15.12.2017 22:04 | Pressmeddelande
Agreement includes payment of $27.5 million to Oxford, royalty-free license to QIAGEN and dismissal of all pending litigation OXFORD, United Kingdom and MARLBOROUGH, Mass., Dec. 15, 2017 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Oxford Immunotec Ltd. (Nasdaq:OXFD) and QIAGEN N.V. (Nasdaq:QGEN) (Frankfurt Stock Exchange:QIA) announced today that they have reached a settlement in the lawsuit in the U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts in Boston (15-cv-13124-NMG) alleging patent infringement in relation to QIAGEN's QuantiFERON®-TB Gold and QuantiFERON®-TB Gold Plus products. Under terms of the agreement, all pending claims between Oxford and QIAGEN and the co-defendants have been resolved. As part of the settlement, Oxford has granted QIAGEN a royalty-free, non-exclusive license that extends to all current and future customers of QuantiFERON-TB Gold and QuantiFERON-TB Gold Plus in exchange for a one-time, lump-sum payment of $27.5 million. The settlement includes general
Algeco Scotsman Announces Acquisition of Iron Horse Ranch15.12.2017 21:32 | Pressmeddelande
BALTIMORE, Dec. 15, 2017 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Algeco/Scotsman Holding S.à r.l. (together with its subsidiaries, the "Algeco Group") today announced the successful closing of the acquisition by the Algeco Group's subsidiary, Target Logistics Management, LLC ("Target Logistics"), of Iron Horse Ranch from funds managed by TDR Capital LLP ("TDR"). The acquisition solidifies Target Logistics' position as the single largest provider of turnkey workforce housing in the U.S., including a network of eight lodges and 2,119 beds in the Permian Basin. With the acquisition, Target Logistics' Permian Basin lodge network now includes Texas lodges in Pecos, Mentone, San Angelo and two in Odessa, along with two lodges in Carlsbad and Lovington, New Mexico. Additionally, Target Logistics adds Eagle Ford lodges in Cameron and Yorktown, Texas. Diarmuid Cummins, CEO Algeco Scotsman: "Today we announce the completion of the second of two strategic acquisitions which we flagged earlier
Repurchase of own shares in Momentum Group AB (publ)15.12.2017 15:25 | Pressmeddelande
In accordance with the authorisation issued by the Extraordinary General Meeting of Shareholders held on 28 November 2017, Momentum Group AB (publ) has repurchased 28,800 Class B shares at an average price of SEK 103.34 per share. After the repurchase, Momentum Group AB's current holding of treasury shares amounts to 28,800 Class B shares, corresponding to 0.1 percent of the total number of shares and 0.1 percent of the total number of votes. The total number of shares in Momentum Group AB, including those held by the Company, amounts to 28,265,416, of which 1,062,436 are Class A shares and 27,202,980 are Class B shares. The total number of votes in Momentum Group AB is 37,827,340. Stockholm, 15 December 2017 Momentum Group AB (publ) For further information, please contact: Mats Karlqvist, Head of Investor Relations - Tel: +46 70 660 31 32 This information was submitted for publication on 15 December 201
Återköp av egna aktier i Momentum Group AB (publ)15.12.2017 15:25 | Pressmeddelande
I enlighet med bemyndigandet från den extra bolagsstämman den 28 november 2017 har Momentum Group AB (publ) återköpt 28 800 aktier av serie B till en genomsnittskurs av 103,34 SEK per aktie. Momentum Group ABs aktuella innehav av egna aktier efter återköpet uppgår till 28 800 aktier av serie B, vilket motsvarar 0,1 procent av totalt antal aktier och 0,1 procent av totalt antal röster. Det totala antalet aktier i Momentum Group AB, inklusive de av bolaget ägda aktierna, uppgår till 28 265 416 st, av vilka 1 062 436 är aktier av serie A och 27 202 980 är aktier av serie B. Det totala antalet röster i Momentum Group AB är 37 827 340. Stockholm den 15 december 2017 Momentum Group AB (publ) För ytterligare information vänligen kontakta: Mats Karlqvist, Head of Investor Relations - telefon 070-660 31 32 Informationen lämnades för offentliggörande den 15 december 2017 kl. 15:15 CET.
Elemica Named to Food Logistics Top 100 List15.12.2017 13:55 | Pressmeddelande
11th Consecutive Win for Delivering Value Across Clients' Supply Chains WAYNE, Pa., Dec. 15, 2017 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Elemica, the leading Business Network for the process industries, announces the company has been named to Food Logistics magazine's FL100+ Award for the 11th year. The FL100+ list recognizes leading software and technology providers in the food and beverage industry. Elemica was chosen for helping agricultural and food ingredient businesses conduct more efficient and error free commerce across their community of suppliers, customers and logistics providers - delivering value through lower operating expenses and working capital costs. "We are honored to be included for the past eleven years on the Food Logistics FL100+ list for helping companies improve efficiencies and generate value from their supply chains," said John Blyzinskyj, CEO of Elemica. "Automating business processes, enabling end-to-end visibility, and providing a platform for
LeoVegas expands into new, state-of-the-art and larger premises in Stockholm15.12.2017 12:20 | Pressmeddelande
LeoVegas more than triples the size of its Swedish headquarters and invests heavily in expanding its technology and product organization in Stockholm. The move enables continued and rapid growth and strengthens LeoVegas position as Sweden's leading GameTech company. Gustaf Hagman, LeoVegas' Group CEO, comments: "As an early Christmas gift to all amazing employees, we today move into a 'top of the line office' full of energy. LeoVegas is today an attractive employer who continuously attracts top talent. Our strong corporate culture and growth journey continues!" says Gustaf Hagman, Group CEO. LeoVegas now has close to 4000 square meters in Sweden, which enables continued recruitment of the technology sector's most innovative developers within mobile gaming. The new area in Stockholm has been completely renovated to meet LeoVegas' high standard requirements. The move enables LeoVegas to have 300-350 developers in Sweden compared to today's approximately 120.
I vårt pressrum kan du läsa de senaste pressmeddelandena, få tillgång till pressmaterial och hitta kontaktinformation.Besök vårt pressrum