Mori Memorial Foundation’s GPCI 2020 Report: London and New York Maintain Momentum, Singapore Closes the Gap on Tokyo and Paris
London, New York, Tokyo, Paris and Singapore once again emerged as the world’s most comprehensively attractive cities, in that order, in the Global Power City Index (GPCI) 2020 report. This report is published by The Mori Memorial Foundation’s Institute for Urban Strategies, a research body established by Mori Building, a leading urban developer in Tokyo. Although the composition of the top five cities has remained unchanged since 2016, London and New York have shown a marked uptrend over that time while the scores of Tokyo and Paris have slipped, and Singapore has closed in on Paris. Among the other cities in the top 10, Berlin extended its scores in the area of Livability, leapfrogging Seoul into seventh place overall. Shanghai improved its ratings in all areas aside from Research and Development, greatly improving its overall position from #30 to #10 and overtaking Sydney to enter the top 10 for the first time.
This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20201207005386/en/
Global Power City Index (GPCI) 2020 - Target Cities (Graphic: Business Wire)
Since 2008, the annual GPCI report has ranked 40 or more major cities in terms of their “magnetism,” or their overall power to attract creative individuals and enterprises from around the world. Cities are rated on the basis of 70 indicators in six functions: Economy, R&D, Cultural Interaction, Livability, Environment, and Accessibility. In an effort to reflect changes in the conditions affecting global cities, the GPCI continuously fine-tunes its indicators and data-collection methods.
In 2020, the most serious event was the spread of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19), labeled by the WHO in March as a global pandemic. COVID-19 subsequently had a wide-ranging impact on cities' economic networks and lifestyles as a result of the accompanying lockdowns, travel prohibitions and other restrictions on people’s movements. In the GPCI 2020 survey, conducted in August this year, the influence of the COVID-19 pandemic was reflected in a number of indicators, including “Workstyle Flexibility” and “Satisfaction with Urban Cleanliness”. With the accompanying transition to online working, internet speed was added as a factor to “Variety of Workplace Options”. On top of these changes, new indicators such as “Air Quality”, “Number of Flight Arrivals and Departures” and “Ease of Mobility by Taxi or Bicycle” were added. Moreover, based on a separate survey of urban lifestyle changes, some factors emerged which might be added as new criteria in the GPCI evaluation process.
Highlights (Cities from #1-10)
- London (#1), maintaining its #1 position for the ninth consecutive year, was placed in the top 10 of all categories aside from Environment. It achieved a remarkable improvement in Accessibility where it took first place, replacing Paris, while maintaining its comprehensive lead in the area of Cultural Interaction. On the other hand, its score in the Economy field fell for the second year running following a drop in its “GDP Growth Rate”. It will become even more important for London to maintain its overwhelming strength in Cultural Interaction if there is economic fallout as a result of COVID-19, which continues to affect people’s movements and interaction.
- New York (#2) was once again dominant in the Economy category this year, with improved scores in “Total Employment” and “Employees in Business Support Services”; it also secured the highest ratings in “Variety of Workplace Options”. Though the city maintained its top ranking in Research & Development and Cultural Interaction, its scores in “Workstyle Flexibility” fell, causing it to drop in the Livability rankings, the city’s weakest area. Given the impact of COVID-19 and the political divisions in the United States, Livability is a key area where the city should seek improvements.
- Tokyo (#3) continued to display consistent strengths in all areas while also raising its score in the area of Environment and Accessibility. Despite Japan’s capital retaining third place in the Economy field, the gap between it and next-placed Singapore narrowed. Livability was the only area where the city's rankings fell, due to a drop in scores for “Workstyle Flexibility”. The city has improved its position in Cultural Interaction since it was selected as an Olympic host city in 2013, yet it still has a potential for improvement in “Nightlife Options” and “Number of Luxury Hotel Rooms.”
- Paris (#4) fell back somewhat, in a reversal of its improved ratings last year. Although the city boosted its score in the Economy category as a result of improved scores in “Corporate Tax Rates”, it fell from first place in the areas of Livability and Accessibility. Its ranking in the area of Environment also fell due to low scores in “Satisfaction with Urban Cleanliness”, possibly as a result of the strike action by city sanitation workers in February 2020.
- Singapore (#5) reaffirmed its credentials as a stable city, achieving improved rankings in all areas except Cultural Interaction. The city state, a global business hub, raised its scores in the Economy field and closed the gap in this area on third-placed Tokyo. It overtook Hong Kong to claim first position in “Economic Freedom” and also improved its score in “Variety of Workplace Options” (#3). Competition with other Asian financial centers such as Tokyo and Hong Kong is expected to intensify.
- Amsterdam (#6) achieved first place in the area of Livability, replacing Paris, due largely to an improvement in its “Total Unemployment Rate” scores. The city was also rated highest overall in terms of “Ease of Mobility by Taxi or Bicycle” and took second place overall in Accessibility. However, its score in the Environment category dropped sharply due to low ratings in “Satisfaction with Urban Cleanliness”.
- Berlin (#7) overtook Seoul in the overall rankings, achieving significantly improved Livability scores, particularly in “Workstyle Flexibility” and with improved “Commitment to Climate Action” ratings helping to boost its performance in the Environment field. However, its rankings in “Variety of Workplace Options” fell and its weak position in Economy (#29) was unchanged from last year.
- Seoul (#8) greatly improved its ranking in Environment with strong ratings in “Waste Recycle Rate” (#2) and significant improvement in “Comfortable Temperature Levels”. In the Livability category, the city scored worst in “Workstyle Flexibility”, dropping from #34 to #39 position. It maintained its strong position in Research & Development, scoring in the top 10 in five out of eight indicators.
- Hong Kong (#9) saw improved ratings in the Economy area with very high scores in “Variety of Workplace Options” (#2) and “Economic Freedom”. It also raised its score in Research & Development due to improvements in “Number of Researchers” and “Number of Patents”. On the other hand, its ranking in the Cultural Interaction field fell from #13 to #20 due to a drop in scores for “Tourist Attractions” and “Attractiveness of Shopping Options”.
- Shanghai (#10) made the biggest jump in overall ratings in 2020, from #30 to #10. The main reason for this was its dramatic improvement in “Variety of Workplace Options”(#16) in the Economy area, as well as “Workstyle Flexibility” in Livability, where the city scored the highest in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic. Experiencing the impact of COVID-19 earlier than many other cities, Shanghai took the opportunity to accelerate the development new ways of working.
The full press release of Mori Memorial Foundation’s GPCI 2020 Report can be viewed at the following link:
http://www.mori-m-foundation.or.jp/pdf/GPCI2020_release_en.pdf (in English)
Peter Dustan and Hiromi Jimbo, Institute for Urban Strategies, The Mori Memorial Foundation
Phone: +81 (0)3-6406-6800
Fax: +81 (0)3-3578-7051
International Media inquiries:
Reina Matsushita (+81 (0)80 2375 0295), Mayuko Harada (+81 (0)90 9006 4968) or Masashi Nonaka (+81 (0)80 1037 7879)
About Business Wire
Subscribe to releases from Business Wire
Subscribe to all the latest releases from Business Wire by registering your e-mail address below. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Latest releases from Business Wire
EG Group Selects PDI to Bring Contactless Payments to its North American Sites18.1.2021 13:00:00 CET | Press release
PDI (www.pdisoftware.com), a global provider of enterprise software solutions to convenience retailers and petroleum wholesalers, announced it has reached an agreement with EG Group to expand the use of PDI Payments to nearly 1,700 sites across North America. PDI added payments capabilities to its Marketing Cloud Solutions offering last year after acquiring ZipLine, the industry leader for ACH payment and provider of mobile payment technology. The PDI Payments platform currently powers EG Group’s SmartPay Rewards. The rewards program originated with Cumberland Farms—one of several U.S.-based convenience store brands EG Group acquired in recent years—and will soon be rolled out to EG Group’s remaining stores across North America. Customers can download the free app and enjoy a contactless payment experience, whether making purchases in the store or at the pump. PDI will provide the technology to support customer enrollment in SmartPay and deliver ongoing customer service for reward memb
Argo Blockchain PLC announces £22.4 Million Private Placement with Institutional Investors and Mining Capacity Expansion18.1.2021 09:46:00 CET | Press release
Argo, the leading cryptocurrency miner based in the UK (LSE:ARB), is pleased to announce that it has entered into a securities purchase agreement for a private placement of its ordinary shares ("Ordinary Shares") to certain institutional investors for gross proceeds of GBP £22.4 million (the "Private Placement"). Pursuant to the Private Placement, the Company will issue 28 million Ordinary Shares (the “Placement Shares”) at a purchase price of GBP £0.80 per Ordinary Share. The Private Placement is limited to those certain institutional investors that have already subscribed and this announcement should not be considered an offer or solicitation to purchase or subscribe for securities in the United States. H.C. Wainwright & Co. is acting as the exclusive placement agent for the Private Placement. The net proceeds of the Private Placement will be used by the Company for working capital and general corporate purposes, including the expansion of the Company’s mining capacity in Q1 and Q2 o
Reply Signs an Agreement with AWS to Develop Industry Solutions18.1.2021 09:30:00 CET | Press release
Reply, specialized on new communications channels and digital media, announces today it has signed a Strategic Collaboration Agreement (SCA) with Amazon Web Services (AWS) to develop industry solutions for Financial Services, Manufacturing, Automotive, Retail, Energy, and Telco customers. Through this SCA, the Reply Group of companies dedicated to AWS – Comsysto Reply, Data Reply, Sense Reply, and Storm Reply – will work with organizations of virtually all sizes and allow them to innovate faster and deliver consistent improvements on their business processes using advanced and secure AWS technologies. Reply’s companies dedicated to AWS will offer solutions for highly regulated Financial Services customers, providing them with strategic advisory and security-related consultancy, practices, and frameworks to modernize legacy platforms and solutions designed to address fraud and financial-crime use cases. They will also provide Industrial and Manufacturing customers with the tools they ne
L&T Technology Services Rated as Global Pure-Play ER&D Services Leader by Zinnov18.1.2021 09:00:00 CET | Press release
L&T Technology Services Limited (BSE: 540115, NSE: LTTS), a leading global pure-play engineering services company, today announced that it has been rated as a ‘Leader’ in new technologies critical for products and services transformation and also placed in the Leadership Zone across major ER&D Services’ sectors in the Zinnov Zones 2020 ER&D Services study for the fourth consecutive year. LTTS continued to hold the top leadership position in the pure play ER&D Services category in the Zinnov Zones assessments. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210118005070/en/ LTTS rated as a Global Leader in ER&D Services in Zinnov Zones 2020. (Graphic: Zinnov) In its latest industry rankings, Zinnov positioned L&T Technology Services as an “Expansive and Established” engineering partner with deep domain competencies in overall ER&D services. LTTS has been rated in the “Leadership Zone” across verticals such as Automotive, Aeros
Guardant Health and Vall d’Hebron Institute of Oncology Announce Partnership to Establish First Guardant-Based Liquid Biopsy Testing Service in Europe18.1.2021 09:00:00 CET | Press release
Guardant Health, Inc. (Nasdaq: GH), a leading precision oncology company, and Vall d’Hebron Institute of Oncology (VHIO), one of Europe’s leading cancer research organizations, have agreed to enter into a partnership to establish in-house liquid biopsy testing services, using Guardant Health’s industry-leading proprietary digital sequencing platform, at VHIO’s facility in Barcelona, Spain. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210118005057/en/ The service is expected to become operational in 2021 and will be available for clinical research and clinical care — starting with private patients, followed by expansion into the public healthcare system over time. “We are pleased to announce this partnership with VHIO which will bring liquid biopsy comprehensive genomic testing to more cancer patients in Spain and beyond,” said Helmy Eltoukhy, Guardant Health CEO. “Our vision is that all cancer patients globally have access
Topcon Announces eyeRISE 2021 Virtual Symposia & Expo18.1.2021 07:00:00 CET | Press release
Topcon Healthcare, a leading provider of medical devices and software solutions for the global eye care community, announced today that it will host a two-day virtual symposia and expo entitled eyeRISE on February 9-10, 2021. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210117005025/en/ eyeRISE, or Eye Research Innovation Symposia & Expo, is a new, multi-disciplinary virtual congress showcasing the latest innovations in eye care. It will feature three solutions-focused tracks, delivering clinical and practical education through symposia, roundtable discussions and interactive workshops. (Graphic: Business Wire) eyeRISE, or Eye Research Innovation Symposia & Expo, is a new, multi-disciplinary virtual congress showcasing the latest innovations in eye care. It will feature three solutions-focused tracks, delivering clinical and practical education through symposia, roundtable discussions and interactive workshops. The two-day
Servier announce updated overall survival results of exploratory TASCO1 phase II study of LONSURF ® + bevacizumab in a first-line setting for patients with unresectable mCRC non-eligible for intensive therapy16.1.2021 22:15:00 CET | Press release
Servier announced today updated results from the exploratory phase II TASCO1 study evaluating LONSURF® (trifluridine/tipiracil) + bevacizumab and capecitabine + bevacizumab (C-B) in a first-line setting for patients with unresectable metastatic colorectal cancer (mCRC) who are non-eligible for intensive therapy.1 The data were announced today during an oral presentation at the 2021 ASCO Gastrointestinal Cancers Symposium (ASCO-GI). Patients with mCRC who are not eligible for chemotherapy face a large unmet need, with fewer treatment options available to them and lower survival rates. Colorectal cancer (CRC) makes up 9.7% of total global cancer cases, with almost 1.4 million new cases of CRC each year.2 In Europe, CRC is the second most common cause of death due to cancer, and those with a metastatic disease have a 5-year survival rate of just 11%.3 “For patients with metastatic colorectal cancer, those non-eligible for standard combination therapy have few options left and we are conti
In our pressroom you can read all our latest releases, find our press contacts, images, documents and other relevant information about us.Visit our pressroom