– We only expect the best and the inspections of the race courses and the arena speak for a job well done by everyone involved, said FIS President Gian Franco Kasper.
Niklas Carlsson, CEO of Åre 2019, feels relieved about the start of the Championships and content with the ladies’ first downhill training.
– We have been preparing for this for 4.5 years so we don´t have any excuses, even though the weather is one thing we can´t control. After a rainy period around the New Year's, we have had excellent weather conditions. The race slopes have really hard snow so all athletes will have the fair and excellent racing conditions.
Åre is hosting its third FIS Alpine World Ski Championships, after the previous editions in 2007 and 1954.
– Our organization is becoming more and more professional and it´s an honor to host the Championship only 12 years after the previous ones. However, the real heroes are our 1,400 volunteers who are doing a wonderful job and make me very proud, said Lasse ”Linken” Lindqvist Chairman of the board of Åre 2019 AB.
– There is more for the world to see here than the competitions: we hope to demonstrate the passion we have for snow. Indeed, Åre 2019 aims to “inspire the world to ski”. The 700 million TV viewers will enjoy an experience that they will never forget and our mission is to bring more guests to the region, added Niklas Carlsson.
Guests at the FIS Alpine World Ski Championships 2019 in Åre will also receive something extra for visiting the village. Besides famous athletes competing in various sports, they will enjoy great music filling the village.
Åre is a unique place and in the strategic work of preparing the event, the environment has played an important role for Are 2019.
– We are proud of the fact that we are close to 70% fossil-free and are certified according to the ISO 20121 standard for sustainable events. We work especially hard to find alternatives for fossil fuels, said Niklas Carlsson.
President Kasper is really looking forward to fantastic Championships and is not at all concerned.
– Niklas Carlsson used to work with me at the FIS so I know that he will fix this, says Gian Franco Kasper with a glimmer in his eyes.