Teva Presents New Data at 7th European Academy of Neurology Congress Suggesting Socio-Economic Factors May Contribute to the Significant Under-Diagnosis of Migraine
Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd. (NYSE and TASE: TEVA) today presented new epidemiology data on migraine from the State of Israel which indicate that socio-economic factors may contribute to underdiagnosis of migraine across society1.
A retrospective study of migraine epidemiology in Southern Israel, supported by Teva and presented at the virtual 7th Congress of the European Academy of Neurology (EAN), found extreme variability in the prevalence of diagnosed patients with migraine across the geographic area studied.
Prevalence rates were positively associated with the socio-economic status of the geographic area studied, suggesting that those living with migraine from less advantaged areas may find it harder to achieve an accurate diagnosis and thereby access appropriate therapy.
“These findings are concerning not least because they suggest significant ‘migraine awareness inequity’ in this population,” said Professor Gal Ifergane, study investigator, practitioner, head of the Department of Neurology and chair of the Division of Brain Medicine at Soroka University Medical Center, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Beer-Sheva, Israel.
“While our study focuses on one region of one country, it may indicate this type of inequity is common in other parts of the world. Migraine is a difficult, challenging neurological disease which does not discriminate dependent on an individual’s social status. We conclude that underdiagnosis could be as much a social problem as a medical problem, and this requires further consideration if we are to ensure all those who live with migraine have access to the therapeutic interventions which are right for them. We believe migraine should be prioritised as a highly prevalent and often under-looked neurological disorder.”
The study findings build on an increasingly clear understanding of the challenges facing people living with migraine. A 2020 Teva-sponsored research project, Beyond Migraine: The Real You, surveyed over 7,500 people living with the disease in 10 European countries. It discovered that people living with migraine struggled to support themselves or advocate for improved disease management. The survey exposed the often-devastating impact of migraine on all aspects of a patient's life, across personal relationships, work life, social life and education.
- 60% of people living with migraine indicated that the disease had negatively impacted their social life, studies, work and career
- 40% of young people living with migraine indicated a negative impact on their education
- Only 1 out of 8 individuals belonged to a patient support group
“We were pleased to support these research efforts, which throw into sharp relief the social inequality which is clearly prevalent in migraine,” said Dr Joshua M. Cohen, Senior Director and Global Therapeutic Area Lead, Migraine and Headache, Teva.
“Our commitment as Teva is to support improvements in migraine holistically, working with the neurology community and allied professionals to advance not only effective therapies, but better diagnosis, information and conditions for all those who live with this debilitating disease. We look forward to continuing our extensive research commitment as a partner to all those impacted by migraine, regardless of their location or social situation.”
About the Epidemiological Study
A total of 29,938 migraine patients were identified from of 391,528 adult public health records. The overall prevalence (per 10,000 adults) of migraine was 764.64 (7.64%), 1143.34 (11.43%) for women and 374.97 (3.74%) for men. Among the area studied, adjusted prevalence ranged from 386.14 (3.86%) to 1320.59 (13.20%). The female-to-male ratio ranged from 1.18:1 to 5.1:1.
About the ‘Beyond Migraine: The Real You survey
- The digital survey was conducted as part of the 'Beyond Migraine; The Real You' Campaign in 10 countries (Belgium, Czech Republic, France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Poland, Spain, Sweden and the UK) between November 2019-December 20192.
- All respondents were 18+ years old and experienced migraine attacks for at least 4 days a month (self-reported).
- The total sample size was 7,520.
Accessing EAN 2021 Presentations
The ePresentations shared by Teva at EAN 2021 can be accessed by healthcare professionals via the EAN conference website, and available on-demand for EAN members.
Additional resources on migraine, including articles, publication summaries, podcasts and webinars can be accessed at Neurologybytes. Neurologybytes is a platform published by Teva to support neurologists in accessing timely, bite-sized content on the latest research developments and clinical care perspectives in the world of migraine and multiple sclerosis (MS).
Information for Europe about AJOVY® from the European Medicines Agency (EMA) can be found here.
Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd. (NYSE and TASE: TEVA) has been developing and producing medicines to improve people’s lives for more than a century. We are a global leader in generic and specialty medicines with a portfolio consisting of over 3,500 products in nearly every therapeutic area. Around 200 million people around the world take a Teva medicine every day and are served by one of the largest and most complex supply chains in the pharmaceutical industry. Along with our established presence in generics, we have significant innovative research and operations supporting our growing portfolio of specialty and biopharmaceutical products. Learn more at www.tevapharm.com.
Cautionary Note Regarding Forward-Looking Statements
This press release contains forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995, which are based on management’s current beliefs and expectations and are subject to substantial risks and uncertainties, both known and unknown, that could cause our future results, performance or achievements to differ significantly from that expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements. Important factors that could cause or contribute to such differences include risks relating to:
- our ability to successfully compete in the marketplace, including: that we are substantially dependent on our generic products; consolidation of our customer base and commercial alliances among our customers; delays in launches of new generic products; the increase in the number of competitors targeting generic opportunities and seeking U.S. market exclusivity for generic versions of significant products; our ability to develop and commercialize biopharmaceutical products; competition for our specialty products, including AUSTEDO®, AJOVY® and COPAXONE®; our ability to achieve expected results from investments in our product pipeline; our ability to develop and commercialize additional pharmaceutical products; and the effectiveness of our patents and other measures to protect our intellectual property rights;
- our substantial indebtedness, which may limit our ability to incur additional indebtedness, engage in additional transactions or make new investments, may result in a further downgrade of our credit ratings; and our inability to raise debt or borrow funds in amounts or on terms that are favorable to us;
- our business and operations in general, including: uncertainty regarding the COVID-19 pandemic and its impact on our business, financial condition, operations, cash flows, and liquidity and on the economy in general; our ability to successfully execute and maintain the activities and efforts related to the measures we have taken or may take in response to the COVID-19 pandemic and associated costs therewith; effectiveness of our optimization efforts; our ability to attract, hire and retain highly skilled personnel; manufacturing or quality control problems; interruptions in our supply chain; disruptions of information technology systems; breaches of our data security; variations in intellectual property laws; challenges associated with conducting business globally, including political or economic instability, major hostilities or terrorism; costs and delays resulting from the extensive pharmaceutical regulation to which we are subject or delays in governmental processing time due to travel and work restrictions caused by the COVID-19 pandemic;
- the effects of reforms in healthcare regulation and reductions in pharmaceutical pricing, reimbursement and coverage; significant sales to a limited number of customers; our ability to successfully bid for suitable acquisition targets or licensing opportunities, or to consummate and integrate acquisitions; and our prospects and opportunities for growth if we sell assets;
- compliance, regulatory and litigation matters, including: failure to comply with complex legal and regulatory environments; increased legal and regulatory action in connection with public concern over the abuse of opioid medications and our ability to reach a final resolution of the remaining opioid-related litigation; scrutiny from competition and pricing authorities around the world, including our ability to successfully defend against the U.S. Department of Justice criminal charges of Sherman Act violations; potential liability for patent infringement; product liability claims; failure to comply with complex Medicare and Medicaid reporting and payment obligations; compliance with anti-corruption sanctions and trade control laws; and environmental risks;
- other financial and economic risks, including: our exposure to currency fluctuations and restrictions as well as credit risks; potential impairments of our intangible assets; potential significant increases in tax liabilities (including as a result of potential tax reform in the United States); and the effect on our overall effective tax rate of the termination or expiration of governmental programs or tax benefits, or of a change in our business; and other factors discussed in this press release, in our Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q for the first quarter of 2021 and in our Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2020, including in the sections captioned "Risk Factors” and “Forward Looking Statements.” Forward-looking statements speak only as of the date on which they are made, and we assume no obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statements or other information contained herein, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise. You are cautioned not to put undue reliance on these forward-looking statements.
- Ifergane et al, 2021. A retrospective database study of migraine epidemiology in Southern Israel. Presented at EAN 2021, 21 June 2021.
- Beyond Migraine: The Real You. A survey commissioned by Teva, 2020.
To view this piece of content from cts.businesswire.com, please give your consent at the top of this page.
Fiona Cohen, Teva Europe
+31 6 20 08 25 45
Con Franklin, Ketchum
+44 (0) 7974 434 151
About Business Wire
Subscribe to releases from Business Wire
Subscribe to all the latest releases from Business Wire by registering your e-mail address below. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Latest releases from Business Wire
Prosus FAQ's Regarding the Voluntary Share Exchange Offer to the Holders of Naspers N Ordinary Shares30.7.2021 19:00:00 CEST | Press release
NOT FOR RELEASE, PUBLICATION OR DISTRIBUTION, DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY, IN OR INTO ANY JURISDICTION IN WHICH SUCH RELEASE, PUBLICATION OR DISTRIBUTION WOULD BE PROHIBITED BY APPLICABLE LAW. PLEASE SEE THE IMPORTANT DISCLAIMERS AT THE END OF THIS ANNOUNCEMENT. Shareholders are referred to the prospectus (Prospectus) published by Prosus N.V. (Prosus) on 12 July 2021 in respect of the voluntary share exchange offer by Prosus to Naspers (JSE:NPN) (LSE:NPSN) N Shareholders (Exchange Offer). Further to the announcement issued by Prosus today, shareholders are advised that since the publication of the Prospectus Prosus has received certain frequently asked questions regarding the Exchange Offer and has therefore made certain materials available today at www.share-exchange-offer.com, where these frequently asked questions have been addressed by Prosus. Cape Town South Africa 30 July 2021 About Naspers Established in 1915, Naspers has transformed itself to become a global consumer internet compan
Prosus FAQ's Regarding the Voluntary Share Exchange Offer to the Holders of Naspers N Ordinary Shares30.7.2021 18:59:00 CEST | Press release
Shareholders are referred to the prospectus (Prospectus) published by Prosus on 12 July 2021 in respect of the voluntary share exchange offer by Prosus to Naspers N Shareholders (Exchange Offer). Since the publication of the Prospectus Prosus has received certain frequently asked questions regarding the Exchange Offer and has therefore made certain materials available today at www.share-exchange-offer.com, where these frequently asked questions have been addressed. About Prosus Prosus is a global consumer internet group and one of the largest technology investors in the world. Operating and investing globally in markets with long-term growth potential, Prosus builds leading consumer internet companies that empower people and enrich communities. The group is focused on building meaningful businesses in the online classifieds, food delivery, payments and fintech, and education technology sectors in markets including India, Russia, and Brazil. Through its ventures team, Prosus invests in
I’mbesideyou Inc. Launched “UNION OF EMOTIONS” Service Using AI to Visualize Cheering Each Other Across National Borders30.7.2021 16:25:00 CEST | Press release
I’mbesideyou Inc. (Setagaya-ku, Tokyo CEO: Shozo Kamiya, hereinafter referred to as I'mbesideyou) launched the "UNION OF EMOTIONS" service on July 23, 2021, the opening day of an international sporting event. This is the first time we have been able to visualize people cheering each other with emotion analysis AI. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210730005404/en/ A visualization of the emotions of cheers flying around the world: Click on each cheer to learn more about that country. (Photo: Business Wire) More than 20,000 cheers have already been sent from more than 79 cities across more than 14 countries around the world, and the sight of the cheers flying across the globe has moved many people on social media. UNION OF EMOTIONS, is the world's first example of people's emotions connecting in real time across countries with the help of AI. It is scheduled to be available until August 8, when the closing ceremon
Palace Bidco Oy (“WSIP Bidco”) Has Received Necessary Regulatory Approval Concerning the Recommended Cash Offer to the Shareholders of Adapteo Plc (“Adapteo”)30.7.2021 14:23:00 CEST | Press release
This announcement is not an offer, whether directly or indirectly, in Australia, Canada, Hong Kong, Japan, New Zealand or South Africa or in any other jurisdiction where such offer pursuant to legislation and regulations in such relevant jurisdiction would be prohibited by applicable law. Shareholders not resident in Sweden or Finland who wish to accept the Offer (as defined below) must make inquiries concerning applicable legislation and possible tax consequences. Shareholders should refer to the offer restrictions included in the section titled “Important information” at the end of this announcement and in the offer document which was published on 23 June 2021. Shareholders in the United States should also refer to the section titled “Special notice to shareholders in the United States” at the end of this announcement and in the offer document. On 17 May 2021, WSIP Bidco, a private limited liability company formed on behalf of, and indirectly wholly owned by, West Street Global Infra
Taipei Exchange Launches Pioneer Stock Board to Support Innovative Enterprises30.7.2021 10:00:00 CEST | Press release
The Taipei Exchange, TPEx, launched Pioneer Stock Board (PSB) on July 20, 2021, which welcomed its first company on July 26. Pioneer Stock Board marks the evolution of the stock market into an innovation-friendly ecosystem. It aims to facilitate entry to capital markets for more innovative enterprises. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210730005008/en/ Taipei Exchange launches Pioneer Stock Board to support innovative enterprises (Photo: Business Wire) At the PSB Launch Ceremony, Premier Su Tseng-chang delivered the opening speech, emphasizing the government’s support. Su said, “Taiwan’s capital market breaks new ground today, by establishing this board. PSB will support innovative enterprises, a key driver of economic transformation, by providing companies with quick access to capital needed for continued growth.” Dr. Tien-mu Huang, Chairperson of Financial Supervisory Commission, remarked, “Innovation underpin
ITRS Group Continues Expansion With the Acquisition Of Opsview30.7.2021 10:00:00 CEST | Press release
ITRS Group, a leading provider of real-time monitoring and analytics software, has acquired 100% of Opsview Limited, a modern, scalable monitoring platform, which provides unified insight into dynamic IT operations on-premises, in the Cloud or hybrid. Opsview will remain and operate as a separate brand and entity. The purchase of Opsview aligns well with ITRS’ strategy to build, buy and partner to deliver smart, automated and predictive end-to-end monitoring solutions for increasingly complex IT estates across industries. This development follows the successful strategic acquisitions of Sumerian, OP5 and Uptrends. Guy Warren, CEO of ITRS commented: “Opsview is trusted by hundreds of businesses, government organisations and service providers globally. This acquisition will enhance our technological innovation, increase our portfolio capability, and provide continued expansion across our global support services.” Mike Walton, CEO and founder of Opsview said: “Partnering with ITRS represe
Schneider Electric Moves Forward With Its Sustainability Impact Targets, Mobilizing Support From Employees, Partners and Customers30.7.2021 08:32:00 CEST | Press release
Schneider Electric, the leader in the digital transformation of energy management and automation, published today its half-year progress overview on setting up and advancing on its 2021-2025 sustainability impact targets. Schneider Electric, named as the world’s most sustainable corporation 2021 by the Corporate Knights Global 100 Index, announced the acceleration of its sustainability strategy in January, aligned to its commitments regarding climate, resources, trust, equal opportunities, generations, and local communities. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210729006295/en/ Schneider Sustainability Impact - H1 Results (Graphic: Business Wire) Since then, the Group has successfully launched The Zero Carbon Project, its initiative to halve carbon emissions of its top supply chain partners by 2025, a call to action already joined by 91% of them. By engaging, training, and supporting the sustainable transformation
In our pressroom you can read all our latest releases, find our press contacts, images, documents and other relevant information about us.Visit our pressroom