The Consortium Urges Investors to Vote in Favour of Its Binding Agreement for Finalto at the Playtech General Meeting on 15 July 2021
Finalto S.P.V. Ltd, the consortium led by Barinboim Group and backed by Leumi Partners Limited and Menora Mivtachim Group, together with key members of the Finalto Business' management team (together the "Consortium"), responds to the announcement by another party of non-binding interest in Playtech plc’s (“Playtech”) financial trading division, Finalto Group ("Finalto").
The Consortium wants to provide an update on the risks that Playtech shareholders face in not voting for the Consortium’s binding agreement for Finalto (the “Binding Agreement”) and provide reassurance on the certainty and fair value of the Consortium’s offer. After a lengthy bidding process, the Consortium was selected by Playtech on the value of its bid and also the certainty it provided that the Binding Agreement would complete and pass the stringent regulatory approvals.
The Consortium’s Binding Agreement delivers considerable value and certainty of completing this complex transaction
As announced on 26th May 2021, Playtech agreed to sell Finalto to the Consortium, thereby concluding a lengthy, complicated, regulatory-driven and in-depth sale process which began in 2019.
- In Playtech’s own words, this has been an “elongated and thorough process” and the Consortium was selected taking into account not just the price, but also its “ability to complete the transaction (particularly in light of the Finalto Business’ regulated status in multiple global jurisdictions) and the potential to provide a “clean break” for Playtech.”
- The complexity of this transaction should not be underestimated. To provide an example, the Consortium was required to complete extensive regulatory and KYC requirements before it was even eligible to undergo the main regulatory approval checks, all of which took several months to complete, even for a blue-chip consortium such as this one.
- The level of scrutiny that each member of the Consortium underwent in this transaction was substantially higher than normal. In fact, before being allowed to participate in the sale process, each prospective buyer was subject to a multi-factor review which ranged from regulatory clearance to assurances over proof and source of funds, all to ensure a high certainty that the transaction would close.
- Once the Consortium was approved to negotiate the sale and purchase of Finalto with Playtech, it was also made clear to the Consortium that Playtech would only agree to a very limited set of representations and warranties, which again was highly unusual for a transaction of this size and level of complexity. The Consortium agreed, and what followed was a signed Sale and Purchase Agreement (“SPA”) for Finalto.
Not voting for the Consortium’s Binding Agreement risks destabilising Finalto and its performance
- Contrary to what was implied in Gopher Investments’ (“Gopher”) statement, shareholders should understand that due to certain binding terms of the SPA, Playtech is unable to engage with any alternative bidders straight away, even if the shareholders vote against the Consortium’s bid. Moreover, any subsequent sale process will take many months to conclude, during which time Finalto will be – yet again – subject to considerable uncertainty. By the Consortium’s conservative estimation, another bidding process will not be concluded until late 2022 at the earliest.
- Additionally, under the terms of the SPA, should the SPA be terminated in the event that shareholders of Playtech do not approve the Consortium’s Binding Agreement, Playtech will be required to pay the Consortium a consideration of $8.8m in the event that a sale transaction is entered into with a third party within the 12 months after termination of the SPA at a value in excess of $200m.
- It seems quite certain that another lengthy sale process will likely have a highly destabilising and damaging impact on the Finalto business and its workforce, which has already been subject to very aggressive market speculation and whose performance is already under considerable pressure due to factors beyond Finalto’s control such as an uncertain trading environment, the impact of the global pandemic, the ever-changing regulatory nature of the industry and the drawn out sale process since 2019, which has taken up extensive management time already.
Questionable lack of transparency from bidding party undermines certainty of its non-binding indicative offer
The non-binding indicative offer from Gopher presents considerable uncertainty for the Playtech shareholders. Little if anything is known about Gopher, the source of its funds and its ultimate controlling party. What Gopher has purportedly shared about itself is:
- It was registered in the Cayman Islands just days ago.
- Gopher is being advised by TT Bond Partners (“TTB”) and its Hong Kong regulated affiliate, TTB Partners Limited, all of which are registered under the very same address in Hong Kong.
- The little that is known about TTB is that it specializes in, and markets itself as, an investment advisor principally focused on linking Chinese investors with foreign deals. Any acquisition by an entity controlled out of China is likely to raise material regulatory concerns and will be subject to very close scrutiny.
- Gopher has recently acquired just shy of 5% of Playtech plc’s shares, the threshold requiring Gopher to disclose extensive information about itself to regulators.
- To date, no information has been made available as to the identity(s) of Gopher’s ultimate beneficial ownership, those who control Gopher, or Gopher’s source of funds.
- It should also be noted that given the sale process was public and has been going on for months, the timing of Gopher’s approach raises suspicion about their intentions. Gopher could have participated in the process when it was live.
THE CONSORTIUM URGES INVESTORS TO VOTE IN FAVOUR OF ITS BINDING AGREEMENT TO ACQUIRE FINALTO AT THE PLAYTECH GENERAL MEETING ON 15 JULY 2021
The Consortium seeks to stress to the Playtech shareholders that the Binding Agreement, which was unanimously supported by Playtech’s board of directors, represents considerable value for Playtech shareholders. Furthermore:
- The Binding Agreement provides Playtech shareholders with near term certainty of completion following a lengthy and arduous sale process.
- There is no certainty that the Consortium would be prepared to proceed with any acquisition should its Binding Agreement not be approved at the General Meeting on 15th July 2021.
- Voting in favour of the Consortium’s Binding Agreement ensures Playtech’s receipt of the considerable Binding Agreement proceeds in the near future, thereby equipping Playtech with additional resources for reinvestment in its core gambling business, and likewise ending a lengthy, costly and distracting sale process.
- Voting in favour of the Consortium’s Binding Agreement removes the considerable risk, delay and additional costs associated with yet another sale process. In fact, the Consortium has already submitted mandatory change of control applications in multiple jurisdictions where Finalto operates to expedite the closing of the Binding Agreement.
- From the outset of the transaction, the Consortium’s Binding Agreement was and remains fully financed with immediately available proceeds.
- The Consortium is made up of three blue chip multinational organisations, namely, the Barinboim Group, an established investment firm that has a track record of acquiring and growing successful global media companies, Leumi Partners Limited, the merchant and investment banking arm of Bank Leumi (TASE: LUMI), one of the two largest banking groups in Israel, and Menora Mivtachim Group, an Israeli insurance and finance group.
Shareholders have a simple decision at the General Meeting on 15th July 2021:
VOTE IN FAVOUR OF THE CONSORTIUM’S FULLY FUNDED AND BOARD-APPROVED BINDING AGREEMENT – REVIEWED BY PLAYTECH’S FINANCIAL ADVISER AND RECOMMENDED BY PLAYTECH – PROVIDING CONSIDERABLE VALUE, NEAR TERM COMPLETION AND CERTAINTY FOR SHAREHOLDERS AND THE PLAYTECH BUSINESS.
OR risk being left in a predicament where there is no firm bid for Finalto and only speculative interest from an unknown entity and no certainty that any transaction will be completed in 2022, with all the costs, delay, uncertainty, and destabilisation for Playtech, the Finalto Business and Playtech shareholders.
About the Consortium
The Consortium is a company incorporated in Israel, established for the purpose of acquiring the Finalto Business. The Consortium is being funded by a group consisting of Barinboim Group, Leumi Partners Limited and Menora Mivtachim Group and by senior secured debt financing from The Phoenix Insurance Company Limited and certain of its affiliates. The Consortium will be supported by key members of the Finalto Business' management team that will transfer with the Finalto Business, including Ron Hoffman (Chief Executive Officer of the Finalto Business) and Liron Greenbaum (Chief Operations Officer of the Finalto Business).
Barinboim Group is a private equity and venture capital firm based in Tel Aviv. Barinboim Group invests in companies operating in the media sectors.
Leumi Partners Limited is the merchant and investment banking arm of Bank Leumi (TASE: LUMI), one of the two largest banking groups in Israel. Leumi Partners Limited is based in Tel Aviv and offers direct equity investment in sectors such as technology media and telecom, consumer & retail, and healthcare. Leumi Partners Limited's line of business includes conducting investments and providing services such as underwriting, financial analysis and research, strategic advice, mergers & acquisitions, and raising equity and debt.
Menora Mivtachim Group is one of Israel's five largest insurance & finance groups. The group specializes in asset management, manages the largest pension fund in Israel - and is the largest General Insurer in Israel and the market leader in Motor Insurance sector. The group operates through its subsidiaries, in all sectors of Life Insurance, Long/Mid/Short -Term Savings, General Insurance and Health Insurance. In addition, the group is active in the capital markets and finance sectors, including, Financial Portfolio Management, Underwriting and worldwide real estate investments.
To view this piece of content from cts.businesswire.com, please give your consent at the top of this page.
For further information:
Tony Quinn +44 (0)7790 485 935 firstname.lastname@example.org
Patrick Mitchell +44 (0)7974 079 785 email@example.com
Charlotte Balbirnie +44 (0)7989 528421 firstname.lastname@example.org
Caroline Villiers +44 (0)7808 585184 email@example.com
Ishai Drori firstname.lastname@example.org
About Business Wire
Subscribe to releases from Business Wire
Subscribe to all the latest releases from Business Wire by registering your e-mail address below. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Latest releases from Business Wire
Takeda to Acquire GammaDelta Therapeutics to Accelerate Development of Allogeneic γδT Cell Therapies Addressing Solid Tumors27.10.2021 18:46:00 CEST | Press release
Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited (TSE:4502/NYSE:TAK) (“Takeda”) today announced the exercise of its option to acquire GammaDelta Therapeutics Limited (“GammaDelta”), a company focused on exploiting the unique properties of gamma delta (γδ) T cells for immunotherapy. Through the acquisition, Takeda will obtain GammaDelta’s allogeneic variable delta 1 (Vδ1) gamma-delta (γδ) T cell therapy platforms, which includes both blood-derived and tissue-derived platforms, in addition to early-stage cell therapy programs. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20211027005677/en/ “We’re committed to developing cell therapies that will have an impact on large segments of patients by focusing on off-the-shelf, allogeneic cell therapies that are highly accessible and have the potential to address solid tumors. Collaborating with scientific innovators with unique technology platforms and deep domain expertise, such as the GammaDelt
FiRa Consortium Hits Major Milestones in Ultra-Wideband Momentum27.10.2021 18:00:00 CEST | Press release
The FiRa™ Consortium, a catalyst for bringing leading innovators together to drive Ultra-Wideband (UWB) expansion, is today announcing two milestones in the market acceptance of UWB technology. The first is the launch of the initial phase of its certification program aimed at driving interoperability between UWB devices. At the same time, FiRa Consortium is announcing it has now surpassed 100 members, including all of the top handset manufacturers globally, plus market leaders across semiconductors, networking, secure access, and consumer technology. “UWB is fast becoming a pillar of wireless local connectivity technology alongside Wi-Fi and Bluetooth,” said Charlie Zhang, Board Chair of FiRa Consortium. “When combined with the membership momentum we are seeing, our certification program signifies that the market is prepared and ready for broad implementation of UWB across market sectors.” FiRa Consortium’s certification program is the first to provide baseline testing and certificatio
Mitsubishi Corporation Life Sciences to Accelerate Next Wave of Digital Transformation and Business Growth by Switching to Rimini Street Support27.10.2021 18:00:00 CEST | Press release
Rimini Street, Inc. (Nasdaq: RMNI), a global provider of enterprise software products and services, the leading third-party support provider for Oracle and SAP software products and a Salesforce partner, today announced that Mitsubishi Corporation Life Sciences, a food ingredients manufacturer within Mitsubishi Corporation’s Food Industry Group, has switched to Rimini Street Support for its JD Edwards applications. Switching from the vendor’s support to Rimini Street has enabled the company to dramatically reduce its maintenance costs and free up internal resources for strategic initiatives. By freeing up critical resources – time, money and personnel – Mitsubishi Corporation Life Sciences is able to begin investing in its digital transformation initiatives for the next five to 10 years and establish a foothold for further business expansion, both locally and overseas. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20211027005
CURACLE and Théa Announce Licensing and Collaboration Agreement for the Development and Commercialization of Orally Administered Treatment for Diabetic Macular Edema and Wet-AMD27.10.2021 17:47:00 CEST | Press release
CURACLE, a Korea-based biopharmaceutical company, today announced that it has entered into an exclusive license and collaboration agreement with Théa Open Innovation, the sister company of Théa, Europe’s number one independent ophthalmic company with a 150-year history, for the development and commercialization of CURACLE’s CU06-RE, that has the potential to become the first orally administered treatment for diabetic macular edema and wet age-related macular degeneration (wet-AMD). Under the terms of the agreement, CURACLE will receive an upfront payment of $6 million and could receive up to an additional $157.5 million in potential development, regulatory and sales milestones, as well as royalties on sales if CU06-RE is successfully developed, which will entitle CURACLE to receive up to $2 billion in total payments. Théa and CURACLE will closely collaborate on the clinical development of this novel oral drug. CURACLE will be responsible for the Phase I and II clinical studies with TOI
Everbridge Selected to Power the Nationwide Public Alert System for Spain27.10.2021 15:29:00 CEST | Press release
Everbridge, Inc. (NASDAQ: EVBG), the global leader in critical event management (CEM) and national Public Warning solutions, today announced the selection by Spain to deploy its next-generation population alerting technology to help keep the country’s more than 120 million residents and visitors safe and informed in case of an emergency. Everbridge announced the contract award anonymously in a press release last month. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20211027005638/en/ Everbridge Selected to Power the Nationwide Public Alert System for Spain (Graphic: Business Wire) The new country-wide public alert system of Spain will include both Cell Broadcast coverage at the national level, as well as the publication of alerts via the Web and through mobile alerts, powered by Everbridge. The state-of-the-art alert system will reach 99% of the population of Spain, including 47 million residents and nearly 80 million annual v
Earnix Again Recognized Among INSURTECH100’s Most Innovative Global Companies27.10.2021 15:23:00 CEST | Press release
Earnix, a global provider of advanced rating, pricing, and product personalization solutions for insurers and banks, has been again listed in INSURTECH100, recognizing the world’s most innovative InsurTech companies. Each year, a panel of industry experts and analysts led by FinTech Global, a data and research firm, evaluates hundreds of companies in the insurance industry for their business acumen, technological advancements and potential to make a lasting impact on the industry globally. “The insurance industry is going through a transformational period and Earnix is enabling insurers to seize the biggest opportunities and prevail in the face of challenges. With our unparalleled experience, operational efficiency, robust automation, and innovative analytics, we are helping carriers deliver decisions with agility via fully personalized dynamic insurance. We are pleased to be recognized again and will continue to innovate on behalf of insurers and their customers,” said Udi Ziv, CEO at
Airship Names Thomas Butta Chief Strategy and Marketing Officer27.10.2021 15:05:00 CEST | Press release
Airship, the mobile app experience company, today announced Thomas Butta has joined its executive leadership team as Chief Strategy and Marketing Officer, reporting directly to CEO and president Brett Caine. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20211027005300/en/ SaaS branding expert and veteran CMO Thomas Butta joins Airship as Chief Strategy and Marketing Officer (Photo: Business Wire) Butta brings over two decades of marketing leadership and brand positioning expertise, resulting in billions of dollars of enterprise value created through market leadership, strategic acquisitions and record-breaking IPOs. Prior to joining Airship, Butta was CMO at SignalFx, and before that Sprinklr, where he redefined brand value around software observability and customer experience management respectively, resulting in SignalFx’s acquisition by Splunk and Sprinklr’s subsequent public offering under the ticker symbol, CXM (NASDAQ).
In our pressroom you can read all our latest releases, find our press contacts, images, documents and other relevant information about us.Visit our pressroom