WorldRemit Identifies Top 20 Migrant Moments of 2020
Today, WorldRemit, a leading cross-border payments company, celebrates International Migrants Day by announcing its list of the top 20 Migrant Moments of 2020. This list features developments which have had significant impacts on communities across the world. From the first COVID-19 vaccine to the US presidential election to SpaceX - each of these milestones have been influenced by migrants from around the world. 2020 marks the 20th anniversary of International Migrants Day and the 30th anniversary since the adoption by the UN General Assembly of the International Convention on the Protection of All Migrant Workers and Members of their Families1.
WorldRemit has compiled this list to bring attention to all those who have managed to make a positive difference during this exceptionally challenging year. The company aims to support migrant communities as well as their family and friends every day, whilst celebrating their many successes throughout the year, and for many years to come.
The 2020 list includes:
- COVID-19 Vaccine: German couple of Turkish descent, husband and wife Uğur Şahin and Özlem Türeci, have been credited with the discovery of the Pfizer/BioNTech Covid-19 vaccine that is being distributed across the globe.
- Senator Kamala Harris: Kamala Harris became vice-president elect following the 2020 US Presidential election. In 2017, she was sworn in as a United States Senator for California, becoming the second African-American woman and first South-Asian American senator in history. Though she was born in Oakland, California, Harris’ parents emigrated to the United States from India and Jamaica.
- Future Stars: WorldRemit and Arsenal Football Club welcomed the winners of the Future Stars competition to London in January. Chinasa Mandy Ukandu of Nigeria and Luis Alejandro Castañeda from Colombia, won an all expenses paid trip to London to take part in a personalized training program with Arsenal Football Club’s Development coaches.
- Zoom boom: Zoom, the videoconferencing platform which has allowed friends, families and colleagues to stay in touch during Covid-19, was founded by Eric Yuan, a Chinese migrant to the United States. At its peak, the firm counted more than 300 million daily participants in virtual meetings, while paying customers have more than tripled.
- Project 8000: WorldRemit was the main sponsor of the Project 8000 programme in Singapore. Project 8000 is a community outreach initiative to give thousands of handwritten ‘thank you’ cards to frontline Covid-19 healthcare workers at the Tan Tock Seng Hospital (TTSH) in Singapore, led by student Marion Lee.
- Deliveroo and DoorDash: DoorDash, America’s most popular meal delivery app, was started by a Chinese American migrant, Tony Xu. Meanwhile Deliveroo was co-founded by William Shu, a Taiwanese American entrepreneur. DoorDash has launched a number of initiatives during the pandemic. In October, it launched the Reopen for Deliverycampaign, with the stated aim of bringing together brick and mortar restaurants that have closed due to the pandemic.
- Patoranking: WorldRemit signed Patoranking as the Global Brand Ambassador for its Africa-focused WorldRemit Entrepreneurs Program. The WorldRemit Entrepreneurs Program will run simultaneously in Nigeria, Ghana, Kenya, and Zimbabwe, from November 2020 through to the end of January 2021. WorldRemit customers from around the world are encouraged to send a minimum of £50 (or its equivalent value in their local currency) to recipients in Nigeria, Ghana, Kenya, or Zimbabwe to win the opportunity to nominate a lucky entrepreneur.
- WorldRemit celebrated Philippine Independence Day by highlighting the many achievements of the Filipino diaspora which included one of the youngest ever recipients of the Royal Bank of Canada’s Top 25 Canadian Immigrant Award.
- Transfer Tracker app: WorldRemit launched The WorldRemit Transfer Tracker mobile app for recipients of money transfers, which allows them to track their remittances. The WorldRemit Transfer Tracker App is now available through the Google app store and is also free to download through the app store in 90 countries in iOS and Android.
- SpaceX Dragon 2: The spacecraft made its first crewed flight to the International Space Station on May 31, 2020 as part of the Commercial Crew Program, enabling American human orbital spaceflight capability for the first time since the Space Shuttle's retirement in 2011.
- Television Commercial: WorldRemit released global television commercials across key markets to promote its transparent pricing strategy and the opportunities created by connecting people through international money transfers.
- NHS workers: Almost 1 in 17 (14%) of the NHS’s 1.28 million staff report a non-British nationality, amounting to approximately 170,000 key workers. India is responsible for the most NHS workers from outside the UK, followed by the Philippines.
- Earlier this year, WorldRemit gave away £400,000 worth of vouchers to NHS workers as a token of appreciation for their service and the sacrifices they are making throughout the pandemic.
- Edward Enninful and Misan Harriman: Edward Enninful is the Editor-In-Chief of British Vogue and an advocate for better representation in the fashion industry. He is the only black editor in history to lead Vogue magazine. Enninful commissioned black photographer Misan Harriman to shoot Vogue’s UK September issue – traditionally the magazine’s most important edition. As well as being one of the most widely-shared photographers of the Black Lives Matter movement, Harriman is the first black person to shoot a cover of British Vogue in the magazine's 104-year history.
- Netflix launches Selena series: Netflix released its biographical drama that follows Selena Quintanilla Lopez’s rise to fame and the sacrifices she and her family make along the way charting her enduring legacy as a Mexican-American icon.
- David Olusoga: David Olusoga is a British-Nigerian historian and writer. In response to the Black Lives Matter movement, Olusoga's Black and British: A Forgotten History was broadcast on the BBC. The documentary was awarded a BAFTA when originally produced in 2016. Olusoga was also named on the 2021 Powerlist.
- Parasite: Parasite, a film written by South Korean native Bong Joon-ho, became the first non-English language film to win the Oscar for Best Picture in the 92-year history of the awards.
- Adewale Adeyemo: Among Biden’s team of top cabinet picks and economic advisers is Nigerian-born Adewale Adeyemo, who served as a senior international economic adviser in the Barack Obama administration. Adeyemo will be the first African to occupy the seat of Deputy Treasury Secretary.
- As part of efforts to create opportunities for those in developing countries, WorldRemit gave away tablets to students in countries including India and Guatemala following the pandemic-related disruption to schooling.
- A 90-year old lady named Margaret Keenan from Coventry, became the first person in the world to receive the Pfizer & BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine, which was administered by Filipina nurse May Parsons.
To learn more about WorldRemit, please visit www.worldremit.com.
WorldRemit is a leading global payments company. We disrupted an industry previously dominated by offline legacy players by taking international money transfers online - making them safer, faster and lower-cost. We currently send from 50 to 150 countries, operate in more than 5,000 money transfer corridors worldwide and employ over 1,200 people globally.
On the sending side WorldRemit is 100% digital (cashless), increasing convenience and enhancing security. For those receiving money, the company offers a wide range of options including bank deposit, cash collection, mobile airtime top-up and mobile money.
Backed by Accel, TCV and Leapfrog – WorldRemit’s headquarters are in London, United Kingdom with regional offices in the United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia, the Philippines, South Africa, Somaliland, Uganda, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania, Zimbabwe and Belgium.
About Business Wire
Subscribe to releases from Business Wire
Subscribe to all the latest releases from Business Wire by registering your e-mail address below. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Latest releases from Business Wire
GPD Companies, Inc. to Acquire Distrupol22.1.2021 14:33:00 CET | Press release
GPD Companies, Inc., an affiliate of One Rock Capital Partners, LLC (“One Rock”), today announced that it has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire Distrupol, a subsidiary of Univar Solutions Inc. (NYSE: UNVR) and a leading European distributor of thermoplastics to the polymer processing industry. Terms of the transaction, which is expected to close in the first half of 2021, were not disclosed. Headquartered in Surrey, England, with broad geographic reach across Europe, Distrupol has provided value-added sales and application development of thermoplastic resins for over 50 years. Through its decades-long relationships with world class supply partners, the company offers a robust array of superior performance products and solutions that meet the needs of diverse end users from leading and emerging industries, such as the consumer, medical, automotive, and electrical sectors, among others. Distrupol caters to over 1,300 customers across 13 countries with a portfolio of over 4,0
Schlumberger Announces Fourth-Quarter and Full-Year 2020 Results22.1.2021 12:50:00 CET | Press release
Schlumberger Limited (NYSE: SLB) today reported results for the fourth-quarter and full-year 2020. Fourth-Quarter Results(Stated in millions, except per share amounts)Three Months EndedChangeDec. 31, 2020Sept. 30, 2020Dec. 31, 2019SequentialYear-on-yearRevenue $5,532 $5,258 $8,228 5% -33%Income (loss) before taxes - GAAP basis $471 $(54) $452 n/m 4%Net income (loss) - GAAP basis $374 $(82) $333 n/m 12%Diluted EPS (loss per share) - GAAP basis $0.27 $(0.06) $0.24 n/m 12% Adjusted EBITDA* $1,112 $1,018 $1,648 9% -33%Adjusted EBITDA margin* 20.1% 19.4% 20.0% 73 bps 6 bpsPretax segment operating income* $654 $575 $1,006 14% -35%Pretax segment operating margin* 11.8% 10.9% 12.2% 90 bps -40 bpsNet income, excluding charges & credits* $309 $228 $545 35% -43%Diluted EPS, excluding charges & credits* $0.22 $0.16 $0.39 37% -44% Revenue by Geography International $4,343 $4,210 $5,834 3% -26%North America 1,167 1,034 2,339 13% -50%Other 22 14 55 n/m n/m $5,532 $5,258 $8,228 5% -33% *These are non-
JEOL: Release of a New Cold Field Emission Cryo-Electron Microscope CRYO ARM™ 300 II (JEM-3300)22.1.2021 07:00:00 CET | Press release
JEOL Ltd. (TOKYO:6951) (President & COO Izumi Oi) announces the release of a new cold field emission cryo-electron microscope (cryo-EM), the CRYO ARM™ 300 II (JEM-3300), to be released in January 2021. This new cryo-EM has been developed based on the concept of "Quick and easy to operate and get high-contrast and high-resolution images". This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210121005316/en/ Cold Field Emission Cryo-Electron Microscope CRYO ARM(TM) 300 II (JEM-3300) (Photo: Business Wire) Development Background Recent dramatic improvement of resolution in single particle analysis (SPA) using cryo-EM has led to SPA as an essential method for structural analysis of proteins. To address this market, JEOL released the CRYO ARM™ 300 in 2017. Equipped with a cold field emission gun (Cold FEG) for enhanced resolution and a cryo-stage for loading multiple samples, the CRYO ARM™ 300 has continued to achieve best-in-class res
ViiV Healthcare announces FDA approval of Cabenuva (cabotegravir, rilpivirine), the first and only complete long-acting regimen for HIV treatment21.1.2021 23:12:00 CET | Press release
ViiV Healthcare, the global specialist HIV company majority owned by GlaxoSmithKline plc (“GSK”), with Pfizer Inc. and Shionogi Limited as shareholders, today announced that the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved Cabenuva, the first and only complete long-acting regimen for the treatment of HIV-1 infection in adults. Cabenuva is provided as a co-pack with two injectable medicines — ViiV Healthcare’s cabotegravir and Janssen’s rilpivirine— dosed once monthly, as an option to replace the current antiretroviral (ARV) regimen in those who are virologically suppressed (HIV-1 RNA less than 50 copies per milliliter [mL]) on a stable regimen, with no history of treatment failure, and with no known or suspected resistance to either cabotegravir or rilpivirine. Prior to initiating treatment of Cabenuva, oral dosing of cabotegravir and rilpivirine should be administered for approximately one month to assess the tolerability of each therapy.1 Lynn Baxter, Head of North America, ViiV He
Incyte Announces Acceptance and Priority Review of BLA for Retifanlimab as a Potential Treatment for Patients with Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the Anal Canal (SCAC)21.1.2021 22:30:00 CET | Press release
Incyte (Nasdaq:INCY) today announced that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has accepted for Priority Review its Biologics License Application (BLA) for retifanlimab, an intravenous PD-1 inhibitor, as a potential treatment for adult patients with locally advanced or metastatic squamous cell carcinoma of the anal canal (SCAC) who have progressed on, or who are intolerant of, platinum-based chemotherapy. The BLA submission is based on data from the Phase 2 POD1UM-202 trial evaluating retifanlimab in previously treated patients with locally advanced or metastatic SCAC who have progressed on, or are intolerant of, standard platinum-based chemotherapy. The trial enrolled 94 patients, including several with well-controlled human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection. The study, which was recently presented at the European Society for Medical Oncology (ESMO) Virtual Congress 2020, resulted in an objective response rate (ORR) of 14% for retifanlimab monotherapy as determined by inde
Wistron and Kalray Announce FURIO1200™ Storage Appliance21.1.2021 17:45:00 CET | Press release
Wistron, a leader in ICT (Information and communications technology) products, and Kalray (Paris:ALKAL) (Euronext Growth Paris: ALKAL), a leading provider in new generation of processors specialized in Intelligent Data Processing from Cloud to Edge, announce the availability of FURIO1200™, a 24-Flash-Drive NVMe-oF based storage node appliance, integrating Kalray’s NVMe-oF K200™ smart storage adapter, powered by its MPPA® Coolidge™ intelligent processor, and Wistron LYMMA chassis. FURIO1200™ is a new type of hyper-fast disaggregated storage solution delivering ultra-high throughput and reliability. It is the ideal solution for Cloud Service Providers and Enterprises running applications with intensive AI and Data Analytics workloads as well as to optimize their next generation storage. Data Centers are undergoing a very important revolution due to the explosion of usages, the surge of data to be processed and the exponential growth of the number of machines to be managed to support this
NumAlim Selects Dawex and Orange Business Services for its Data and Services Exchange Platform21.1.2021 17:40:00 CET | Press release
NumAlim announced an agreement with Dawex, the leader in Data Exchange technology, and Orange Business Services, a network-native digital services company, to deploy its agri-food digital exchange platform. By relying on these two leading players, NumAlim chose secure technological solutions guaranteeing the sovereignty of French food data. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210121005722/en/ (Photo: Dawex) As early as Q1 2021, the NumAlim data and services exchange "Hub" will offer 18,000 companies in the food industry the opportunity to valorize, acquire and enrich all types of data: production, consumption, traceability, consumer opinions and research, as well as a wide range of services based on data (trend analysis, reformulation, regulatory watch…). "NumAlim is the answer to the needs for transparency, value creation and trust expressed by the food industry, consumers, and public authorities.” says Jérôme Fr
In our pressroom you can read all our latest releases, find our press contacts, images, documents and other relevant information about us.Visit our pressroom