Still unclear who is behind gross sabotage
“This concerns a crime whose circumstances are difficult to investigate. The detonations took place 80 meters under the water on the ocean floor in the Baltic Sea”, says Mats Ljungqvist.
The investigation is being conducted by the Swedish Security Service under the management of the Public Prosecutor at the National Security Unit at the Swedish Prosecution Authority.
“There is a variety of information and reports about the sabotage against the gas pipes. The incident has obviously become an open arena for different influence attempts. These speculations do not have an impact on the ongoing investigation, which is grounded in facts and the information which has emerged from analyses, crime scene investigations and collaboration with authorities in Sweden and other countries”, says Mats Ljungqvist.
Previously, the investigation has been able to confirm that this is a case concerning gross sabotage. Analyses from objects seized during the crime scene investigations show traces of explosives on several of the foreign objects which were examined.
“Regarding the incident, there is no doubt that this is gross sabotage in international waters directed towards infrastructure, whose owner is not connected to Sweden. The focus for the Swedish investigation is primarily about examining if Swedish interest or Swedish security is threatened, for example if Swedish territory was used to carry out the sabotage”, says Mats Ljungqvist.
All seized objects and all materials have been examined and analysed carefully.
“We are carrying out a number of concrete investigative precautions. We are working unconditionally and turning over every stone and leaving nothing to chance. Our hope is to be able to confirm who has committed this crime, but it should be noted that it likely will be difficult given the circumstances”, says Mats Ljungqvist.
Contact
Public Prosecutor Mats Ljungqvist is available to the media to give short comments by telephone today, Thursday, between 10:00 and 12:00.
Press Service, +46 10 562 50 20
Nyckelord
Om
The Swedish Prosecution Authority contributes to combatting crime in an effective and legally complaint way.
The Swedish prosecutor has a central role within the judicial system, both in Sweden and in an international context. The prosecutor’s role is to independently lead criminal investigations, make decisions on charges and take cases to court.
Följ Swedish Prosecution Authority
Abonnera på våra pressmeddelanden. Endast mejladress behövs och den används bara här. Du kan avanmäla dig när som helst.
Senaste pressmeddelandena från Swedish Prosecution Authority
Appeal against conviction for crimes against humanity and other crimes17.2.2025 10:41:55 CET | Press Release
The prosecutor has today appealed the District Court's conviction of a woman for genocide, crimes against humanity and serious war crimes. Instead of 12 years' imprisonment, the prosecutor demands life imprisonment.
A person is requested to be surrendered from Denmark for serious weapon offences and murder5.2.2025 11:47:02 CET | Press Release
Prosecutors have requested that a 17-year-old be surrendered to Sweden on suspicion of serious weapon offences in connection with a shooting against the Israeli embassy in Stockholm 1 October 2024. The 17-year-old is also suspected of a murder in Hallstahammar. The prosecutors’ request will be tried today in a Danish Court.
Prosecutor revokes decision on seized ship3.2.2025 12:11:37 CET | Press Release
The investigation concerning a cable break between Sweden and Latvia in the Baltic Sea has clarified that it is not a case of gross sabotage. Therefore, a decision has been made to lift the seizure of the ship suspected of being involved in the cable break.
Swedish citizen requested to be detained for severe war crimes and terrorist crimes20.1.2025 09:26:49 CET | Press Release
Prosecutors have today requested the Stockholm District Court to detain a Swedish citizen suspected of severe war crimes and terrorist crimes in Syria.
Investigation concerning suspected rape in Stockholm discontinued12.12.2024 08:57:35 CET | Press Release
The investigation into a suspected rape and two cases of sexual assault at a hotel in central Stockholm on October 10 2024 is closed. The reason is evidence problems.
I vårt pressrum kan du läsa de senaste pressmeddelandena, få tillgång till pressmaterial och hitta kontaktinformation.
Besök vårt pressrum