Boosting Cardiovascular Health in Europe – Towards More Resilient and Equitable Healthcare
More than two years after the COVID-19 pandemic started, healthcare systems are taking stock of the lessons learnt to strengthen their response and improve the health outcomes of patients across disease areas. In this context, theEuropean Federation of Pharmaceutical Industries and Associations (EFPIA)CVD Network commissioned a report in collaboration with PwC on “Boosting cardiovascular health in Europe: towards more resilient and equitable healthcare”, to assess the impact of COVID-19 on cardiovascular (CVD) care and to explore possible policy actions to strengthen the healthcare systems’ response to CVDs.
The report finds that:
- Cardiovascular disease (CVD) is the major cause of mortality and morbidity across Europe, affecting almost 95 million patients and, notably causing 1.24 million acute coronary events each year.
- CVD accounts for almost one-third of all premature deaths and is responsible for 23 % of all disability-adjusted life years (DALYs) measured across Europe, exceeding the burden caused by all other non-communicable diseases (NCDs), including cancer.
- At the same time, many CVDs are preventable or, at least, manageable with appropriate interventions, often more so than other major NCDs. Overall, about 70% of the CVD burden is attributable to risk factors that can be controlled or modified, such as hypertension, high cholesterol or diabetes.
- COVID-19 has made things worse. The pandemic has increased the risk of hospitalisation and death for people with CVD and put healthcare systems under strain, disrupting detection and care pathways and exposing existing disparities in CVD care.
- Short-term shocks, similar to the pandemic, are likely to become more frequent, thus boosting healthcare demand, and stretching healthcare services even further.
- Evolving disease patterns will force healthcare systems to reshape their care delivery models. With 130 million Europeans expected to be over the age of 65 by 2050, CVD-related healthcare demand is bound to grow and transform over the coming decades.
Following the findings, the report offers a series of concrete policy recommendations that aim to re-design CVD care and equip European healthcare systems with the necessary tools to cope with future crises:
- Strengthen population screening
- Broaden screening programmes for genetic and metabolic risk factors
- Simplify access to screening, especially for vulnerable populations
- Ensure treatment initiation, maintenance, and follow-up for at-risk patients
- Re-design healthcare systems to reward outcomes
- Strengthen digital health and information sharing to improve disease management
- Foster data-driven decision making
- Harness the potential of data-driven solutions to inform CVD policies and support clinical decision-making and value-based care delivery
“Cardiovascular diseases are Europe’s biggest health challenge. The time to act is now. Building on the available evidence, we need bold policy action for better population health in Europe” commented Christian Thonke and Sean Lybrand, co-Chairs of the EFPIA CVD Network.
The Report calls on all CVD stakeholders to play their part in advancing CVD prevention, detection and care, by putting the spotlight on secondary prevention and encouraging a smarter use of digital technologies.
To view this piece of content from cts.businesswire.com, please give your consent at the top of this page.
Andy Powrie-Smith, Executive Director of Communications, EFPIA
About Business Wire
Subscribe to releases from Business Wire
Subscribe to all the latest releases from Business Wire by registering your e-mail address below. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Latest releases from Business Wire
Starr Insurance Companies Expands in Thailand17.5.2022 22:33:00 CEST | Press release
Starr Insurance Companies (Starr) announced an agreement with FPG Insurance Holdings Limited (HK) (FPG) and local Thai shareholders to purchase FPG Insurance Public Company Limited (FPG Thailand), a Thai non-life insurance company, together with local Thai parties. Starr’s investment will be held by its Bermuda insurance company, Starr Insurance & Reinsurance Limited. The transaction is expected to close in the second quarter of 2022, subject to certain customary closing conditions, including any necessary regulatory approvals. “Thailand is an important, fast-growing insurance market — one of the cornerstones of the Southeast Asia economy,” said Maurice R. Greenberg, Starr’s Chairman & CEO. “Asia is both commercially and culturally important to Starr, as we trace our roots to an American-owned company founded in Shanghai more than 100 years ago. We look forward to serving the needs of local Thai companies and consumers through this new insurance capability.” David Zuellig, FPG regional
Emendo Biotherapeutics’ next generation CRISPR gene editing technologies achieve breakthrough results with allele-specific approach for ELANE -related Severe Congenital Neutropenia as presented at ASGCT Annual Meeting17.5.2022 22:15:00 CEST | Press release
Emendo Biotherapeutics presented the results of its next generation CRISPR-based gene editing approaches for several indications in an oral presentation and three posters at the 25th Annual Meeting of the American Society of Gene & Cell Therapy (ASGCT) held May 16-19, 2022, in Washington, D.C. Emendo presented pre-clinical data for the treatment of ELANE-related Severe Congenital Neutropenia using an allele-specific editing approach, demonstrating the power of Emendo’s dual technology platforms that enable the development of a highly specific editing composition that demonstrates no off-targets and complete allele specificity. Significantly, the lack of off-target achieved by Emendo’s engineered and optimized OMNI nuclease also eliminated any translocations. Edited patient derived CD34+ cells differentiated normally into neutrophils both in-vitro and in-vivo, showing full engraftment and reconstitution of all blood lineages, as required for the desired therapeutic effect. “ELANE-based
Piper Sandler Advises PETRONAS Chemicals Group Berhad on Acquisition of Perstorp17.5.2022 19:59:00 CEST | Press release
Piper Sandler & Co. chemicals investment banking announced today that it has advised PETRONAS Chemicals Group Berhad (PCG) on its acquisition of Perstorp Holding AB. The transaction Enterprise Value is €2,300 million and base purchase price, less adjusted net debt, is €1,538 million. It is expected to close in Q3 2022 subject to customary closing conditions. PCG is the leading integrated chemicals producer in Malaysia and one of the largest in Southeast Asia. It operates a number of world-class production sites, which are fully vertically integrated from feedstock to downstream end-products. With a total combined production capacity of 12.8 million metric tons per annum (mtpa), it is involved primarily in manufacturing, marketing, and selling a diversified range of chemical products, including olefins, polymers, fertilizers, methanol and other basic chemicals and derivative products. Listed on Bursa Malaysia in 2010 and with more than three decades of experience in the chemicals indust
Morinaga Milk Obtains the Registration of "New Food Ingredient" in China for Use of Its Probiotic Bifidobacterium longum BB536 in Infant and Toddler Foods17.5.2022 19:53:00 CEST | Press release
Morinaga Milk Industry Co., Ltd. (TOKYO:2264), a leading Japanese dairy product company, today announced its proprietary probiotic Bifidobacterium longum BB536 was approved by the National Health Commission (NHC) of the People’s Republic of China as a new food ingredient for use in infant and toddler foods (under the age of three) on 11th May 2022. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20220517005112/en/ Morinaga Milk obtains the registration of "New Food Ingredient" in China for use of its probiotic Bifidobacterium longum BB536 in infant and toddler foods on 11th May 2022. (Graphic: Business Wire) Following a complex and lengthy registration process, the probiotic strain B. longum BB536 meets the highest standards of safety and regulatory compliance and has now completed the approval process for use as an ingredient in infant and toddler milk and food products for children under three years old in China. “We are extr
Hiro Capital Joins Knollwood and Boost VC With Major Investment in Skybound Entertainment17.5.2022 19:30:00 CEST | Press release
Hiro Capital has invested in Skybound Entertainment in a significant, undisclosed round led by Knollwood Advisory with participation from Boost VC, and follow-on participation from Com2uS and Skydance Entertainment. Skybound Entertainment is home to acclaimed franchises including The Walking Dead, Invincible, and Impact Winter. “There is nothing more powerful than storytelling, and I’m delighted that Hiro has been able to invest in Skybound Entertainment, creators and curators of extremely compelling omniverses,” said Sir Ian Livingstone, Co-Founding Partner of Hiro Capital. “Hiro’s trust in our vision will help us accelerate the evolution of existing hit franchises as well as new content for our fan base around the world,” said Skybound CEO David Alpert. Skybound brings together creators across its multi-faceted business, including comics, interactive games, audio, film, and television (traditional and digital platforms), licensing, and merchandising. Skybound has successfully franchi
In our pressroom you can read all our latest releases, find our press contacts, images, documents and other relevant information about us.Visit our pressroom