C3.ai Digital Transformation Institute Announces AI for Energy and Climate Security Grantees
C3.ai Digital Transformation Institute (C3.ai DTI) today announced the second round of C3.ai DTI awards, focused on using artificial intelligence (AI) techniques and digital transformation to advance energy efficiency and lead the way to a lower-carbon, higher-efficiency economy that will ensure energy and climate security.
C3.ai DTI issued this call for proposals in February 2021, and received 52 submissions. A rigorous peer review process led to 21 awards for research proposals to improve resilience, sustainability, and efficiency through such measures as carbon sequestration, carbon markets, hydrocarbon production, distributed renewables, and cybersecurity, among other topics.
The Institute awarded a total of $4.4 million in cash from this call for proposals, the second call the Institute has released since the organization’s launch in March 2020. In addition to cash awards, research teams gain access to up to $2 million in Azure Cloud computing resources, up to 800,000 supercomputing node hours on the Blue Waters petascale supercomputer at the National Center for Supercomputing Applications (NCSA) at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, up to 25 million computing hours on supercomputers at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory’s National Energy Research Scientific Computing Center (NERSC), and free, unlimited access to the C3 AI® Suite hosted on the Microsoft Azure Cloud.
“The world’s energy infrastructure will need to undergo radical changes to address the impact of global energy generation,” said Thomas M. Siebel, chairman and CEO of C3 AI. “In the face of this crisis, the Institute is proud to bring together the best and brightest minds and provide direction and leadership to support objective analysis and AI-based, data-driven science for climate security.”
“Pursuing a sustainable future via advances in science and engineering is absolutely critical,” said Eric Horvitz, Chief Scientific Officer at Microsoft. “We’re deeply enthusiastic to join with the C3.ai Digital Transformation Institute to support frontier research on energy and climate at leading universities.”
The 21 projects were each awarded $100,000 to $250,000, for an initial period of one year, in one of nine categories, as listed below by project title, principal investigator, and affiliation.
- Sustainability - Applying AI, machine learning, and advanced analytics to support sustainability initiatives for energy consumption and greenhouse gas emissions:
- Learning in Routing Games for Sustainable Electromobility (Henrik Sandberg, KTH Royal Institute of Technology)
- AI-Driven Materials Discovery Framework for Energy-Efficient and Sustainable Electrochemical Separations (Xiao Su, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign)
- AI for Carbon Sequestration -Applying AI/ML techniques to increase the scale and reduce costs of carbon sequestration:
- Optimization of Agricultural Management for Soil Carbon Sequestration Using Deep Reinforcement Learning and Large-Scale Simulations (Naira Hovakimyan, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign)
- Affordable Gigaton-Scale Carbon Sequestration: Navigating Autonomous Seaweed Growth Platforms by Leveraging Complex Ocean Currents and Machine Learning (Claire Tomlin, University of California, Berkeley)
- AI for Advanced Energy and Carbon Markets - Enabling dynamic, automated, and real-time pricing of energy-generation sources:
- Quantifying Carbon Credit Over the U.S. Midwestern Cropland Using AI-Based Data-Model Fusion (Kaiyu Guan, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign)
- The Role of Interconnectivity and Strategic Behavior in Electric Power System Reliability (Ali Hortacsu, University of Chicago)
- Cybersecurity of Power and Energy Infrastructure - Leveraging AI/ML techniques to improve the cybersecurity of critical power and energy assets, along with smart connected factories and homes:
- Private Cyber-Secure Data-Driven Control of Distributed Energy Resources (Subhonmesh Bose, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign)
- Cyberattacks and Anomalies for Power Systems: Defense Mechanism and Grid Fortification via Machine Learning Techniques (Javad Lavaei, University of California, Berkeley)
- A Joint ML+Physics-Driven Approach for Cyber-Attack Resilience in Grid Energy Management (Amritanshu Pandey, Carnegie Mellon University)
- Smart Grid Analytics - Applying AI and other analytic approaches to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of grid transmission and distribution operations:
- Scalable Data-Driven Voltage Control of Ultra-Large-Scale Power Networks (Alejandro Dominguez-Garcia, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign)
- Offline Reinforcement Learning for Energy-Efficient Power Grids (Sergey Levine, University of California, Berkeley)
- Distributed Energy Resource Management - Applying AI to increase the penetration and use of distributed renewables:
- Machine Learning for Power Electronics-Enabled Power Systems: A Unified ML Platform for Power Electronics, Power Systems, and Data Science (Minjie Chen, Princeton University)
- Sharing Mobile Energy Storage: Platforms and Learning Algorithms (Kameshwar Poolla, University of California, Berkeley)
- Data-Driven Control and Coordination of Smart Converters for Sustainable Power System Using Deep Reinforcement Learning (Qianwen Xu, KTH Royal Institute of Technology)
- AI for Improved Natural Catastrophe Risk Assessment -Applying AI to improve modeling of natural catastrophe risks from future weather-related events (e.g., tropical storms, wildfires, and floods):
- AI for Natural Catastrophes: Tropical Cyclone Modeling and Enabling the Resilience Paradigm (Arindam Banerjee, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign)
- Multi-Scale Analysis for Improved Risk Assessment of Wildfires Facilitated by Data and Computation (Marta Gonzalez, University of California, Berkeley)
- Resilient Energy Systems - Addressing how the use of AI/ML techniques and markets for energy and carbon introduce new vulnerabilities:
- A Learning-Based Influence Model Approach to Cascading Failure Prediction (Eytan Modiano, Massachusetts Institute of Technology)
- Reinforcement Learning for a Resilient Electric Power System (Alberto Sangiovanni-Vincentelli, University of California, Berkeley)
- AI for Improved Climate Change Modeling -Use of AI/ML to address climate change modeling and adaptation:
- Machine Learning to Reduce Uncertainty in the Effects of Fires on Climate (Hamish Gordon, Carnegie Mellon University)
- AI-Based Prediction of Urban Climate and Its Impact on Built Environments (Wei Liu, KTH Royal Institute of Technology)
- Interpretable Machine Learning Models to Improve Forecasting of Extreme-Weather-Causing Tropical Monster Storms (Da Yang, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory)
“From wildfires to rising seas to monster storms crippling our energy systems, increasingly extreme weather clearly represents a severe threat to our economy, infrastructure, and national security,” said S. Shankar Sastry, C3.ai DTI Co-Director and Thomas M. Siebel Professor of Computer Science at the University of California, Berkeley.“Improving climate resilience will require profound changes powered by a new era of technology like those C3.ai DTI is supporting today.”
“A number of energy companies and utilities have used enterprise AI to transform their operations, but as we can see, there’s an even greater need for resilience to cyberattacks and large environmental disruptions,” said R. Srikant, C3.ai DTI Co-Director and Fredric G. and Elizabeth H. Nearing Endowed Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. “These projects are designed with those goals in mind.”
C3.ai DTI selects research proposals that inspire cooperative research and advance machine learning and other AI subdisciplines. Projects are peer-reviewed on the basis of scientific merit, prior accomplishments of the principal investigator and co-principal investigators, the use of AI, machine learning, data analytics, and cloud computing in the research project, and the suitability for testing the methods at scale. Visit C3DTI.ai to learn more about the Institute’s programs, award opportunities, and selected research proposals.
About C3.ai Digital Transformation Institute
Established in March 2020 by C3 AI, Microsoft, and leading universities, the C3.ai Digital Transformation Institute is a research consortium dedicated to accelerating the benefits of artificial intelligence for business, government, and society. The Institute engages the world’s leading scientists to conduct research and train practitioners in the new Science of Digital Transformation – operating at the intersection of artificial intelligence, machine learning, cloud computing, internet of things, big data analytics, organizational behavior, public policy, and ethics.
The ten C3.ai Digital Transformation Institute consortium member universities and laboratories are: University of California, Berkeley, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Carnegie Mellon University, KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, National Center for Supercomputing Applications at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Princeton University, Stanford University, and University of Chicago. Additional industry partners include AstraZeneca, Baker Hughes, and Shell.
To support the Institute, C3 AI is providing the Institute $57,250,000 in cash contributions over the first five years of operation. C3 AI and Microsoft will contribute an additional $310 million of in-kind support, including use of the C3 AI® Suite and Microsoft Azure computing, storage, and technical resources to support C3.ai DTI research.
About C3.ai, Inc.
C3.ai, Inc. (NYSE:AI) is the Enterprise AI application software company that accelerates digital transformation for organizations globally. C3 AI delivers a family of fully integrated products: C3 AI® Suite, an end-to-end platform for developing, deploying, and operating large-scale AI applications; C3 AI Applications, a portfolio of industry-specific SaaS AI applications; C3 AI CRM, a suite of industry-specific CRM applications designed for AI and machine learning; and C3 AI Ex Machina, a no-code AI solution to apply data science to everyday business problems. The core of the C3 AI offering is an open, model-driven AI architecture that dramatically simplifies data science and application development. Learn more at: www.c3.ai.
To view this piece of content from cts.businesswire.com, please give your consent at the top of this page.
C3.ai DTI Contact
Communications Manager, C3.ai DTI @ Berkeley
C3 AI Public Relations
About Business Wire
Subscribe to releases from Business Wire
Subscribe to all the latest releases from Business Wire by registering your e-mail address below. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Latest releases from Business Wire
Spirit of Wipro Run Brings Together Participants From Over 35 Countries26.9.2021 14:57:00 CEST | Press release
Wipro Limited (NYSE: WIT, BSE: 507685, NSE: WIPRO), a leading global information technology, consulting and business process services company, today organized the 16th annual ‘Spirit of Wipro’ (SOW) Run, drawing thousands of participants from over 35 countries to run together in spirit. For the past sixteen years, Wiproites around the world have come together to celebrate Wipro’s core values. The annual SOW run aims to inspire employees to be responsible citizens of the world. This year’s theme was “Together. To greatness,” inspired by the resilience demonstrated by Wiproites in a year of unprecedented disruption. Along with outperforming across all business parameters, Wipro teams have remained committed to supporting their colleagues and creating a lasting social impact across communities. Like last year, this year’s race was also virtual, and runners strictly adhered to the local COVID-19 guidelines and safety protocols while participating in the event. Even under these conditions,
Pencil Lab Inks Debut in ADIHEX 202125.9.2021 12:04:00 CEST | Press release
The 18th edition of the Abu Dhabi International Hunting and Equestrian Exhibition (ADIHEX) on September 27 - October 3 marks an opportune platform for Pencil Lab Design Studio’s first major participation in the massive event, the largest of its kind in the Middle East and Africa. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210925005016/en/ Pencil Lab Inks Debut in ADIHEX 2021 (Photo: AETOSWire) Featuring more than 800 brands and companies, the event is held under the theme of ‘Sustainability and Heritage… A Reborn Aspiration’, highlighting heritage, culture and authentic sports and their strong relation with Arab history. As part of its inaugural participation in a major exhibition as a company, Pencil Lab, a UAE initiative, will showcase their artworks with three large oil paintings by Pencil Lab’s citizen artist, to highlight the strong connection of arts, like painting and photography, to Arab history and civilization.
DXC Technology Completes Refinancing Actions24.9.2021 22:30:00 CEST | Press release
DXC Technology Company (NYSE: DXC) (“DXC”) today announced the completion of its refinancing. DXC previously completed the offering of €1.35 billion Senior Notes priced on September 2, 2021 and $1.35 billion Senior Notes priced on September 7, 2021. DXC completed redemption of $2.5 billion principal of (i) EUR term loan in the amount of €400 million due FY23 and FY24, (ii) $500 million 4.25% Senior notes due FY25, (iii) £250 million 2.75% Senior notes due FY25, (iv) $467 million 4.125% Senior notes due FY26, (v) $500 million 4.75% Senior notes due FY28, and (vi) $234 million Senior notes due FY30. The applicable make whole premium for these redemptions was $300 million and accrued and unpaid interest was $40 million. Ken Sharp, Chief Financial Officer, DXC commented: “Our opportunistic debt refinancing of $2.5 billion of our high coupon debt further solidifies our financial foundation by extending our debt maturities, lowering our maturity towers and reducing our ongoing interest expen
Schlumberger Announces Third-Quarter 2021 Results Conference Call24.9.2021 16:00:00 CEST | Press release
Schlumberger Limited (NYSE:SLB) will hold a conference call on October 22, 2021 to discuss the results for the third quarter ending September 30, 2021. The conference call is scheduled to begin at 9:30 am US Eastern time and a press release regarding the results will be issued at 7:00 am US Eastern time. To access the conference call, listeners should contact the Conference Call Operator at +1 (844) 721-7241 within North America or +1 (409) 207-6955 outside of North America approximately 10 minutes prior to the start of the call and the access code is 8858313. A webcast of the conference call will be broadcast simultaneously at www.slb.com/irwebcast on a listen-only basis. Listeners should log in 15 minutes prior to the start of the call to test their browsers and register for the webcast. Following the end of the conference call, a replay will be available at www.slb.com/irwebcast until November 22, 2021, and can be accessed by dialing +1 (866) 207-1041 within North America or +1 (402
Tradeweb Successfully Completes its First Southbound Bond Connect Transactions24.9.2021 14:07:00 CEST | Press release
Tradeweb Markets Inc. (Nasdaq: TW), a leading global operator of electronic marketplaces for rates, credit, equities and money markets, today announced it has completed its first Southbound Bond Connect transactions via the trading link between Tradeweb and China Foreign Exchange Trade System (CFETS). “Southbound Bond Connect is the latest evolutionary step for China’s financial market, providing domestic investors with more flexibility and choice when trading offshore bonds,” said Lee Olesky, CEO of Tradeweb Markets. “Together with CFETS, our goal is to better meet onshore investors’ demand for streamlined access to global investment. We will continue to focus on further enhancing the trading link by deploying new innovative trading functionality, just as we did with the Northbound leg of Bond Connect.” Southbound Bond Connect facilitates fixed income portfolio diversification for institutional investors in China. Tradeweb collaborates closely with CFETS to create a uniform trading ex
H.I.G. Capital Acquires Aspire Pharma24.9.2021 14:05:00 CEST | Press release
H.I.G. Capital, LLC (“H.I.G.”), a leading global alternative investment firm with $45 billion of equity capital under management, is pleased to announce that one of its affiliates has acquired Aspire Pharma Limited (“Aspire” or the “Company”), a leading UK provider of niche generic and branded specialty pharmaceuticals, alongside its founder Graham Fraser-Pye. The financial terms of the transaction have not been disclosed. Aspire licenses and develops niche generic and specialty pharmaceutical products that offer innovative formulations, value for money for payors, and reliable supply arrangements in markets that are often underserved. The business holds leadership positions in urology, ophthalmology, CNS and dermatology, with a highly diversified portfolio of more than 250 products across multiple categories, including branded specialty products and unbranded niche generics. H.I.G., together with the management team, aims to continue Aspire’s strong track record of organic growth and
Swappable Announces Partnership with Esports T1's Dota 2 Team24.9.2021 13:34:00 CEST | Press release
Swappable, an NFT (Non-Fungible Token) interface for high-profile and exclusive digital collectibles, has announced its partnership with T1's Dota 2 team, the popular esports team for the upcoming International 10 - Dota 2 World Championship in Bucharest, Romania. T1 is not just an esports team but a pop culture phenomenon with millions of fans worldwide. The team embodies a blend of lifestyle, creativity and attitude, fresh from the source of Seoul & LA. As part of the collaboration, T1 will auction their first-ever NFTs (digital collectibles) on Swappable for T1’s Genesis Collection. With the first auction starting Friday September 24th, T1 will release a series of NFTs each possessing utility features such as special access to T1's Dota 2 team players and more. Visit Swappable for more information. “We are excited to partner with a leading organization in the esports industry. It is also a chance for T1 fans to pick the very first digital collectibles ever created by this legendary
In our pressroom you can read all our latest releases, find our press contacts, images, documents and other relevant information about us.Visit our pressroom