Lenovo Group: First Quarter Results 2021/22
Lenovo Group (HKSE: 992) (PINK SHEETS: LNVGY) today announced record fiscal first quarter results for the Group. Opportunities created by accelerated digitalization, intelligent transformation and IT upgrades in devices, infrastructure, and applications around the world continue to fuel the Group’s long-term and sustainable profitability increases.
Seizing these opportunities, Lenovo’s performance delivered significant year-on-year profitability improvements, with pre-tax income almost doubling to US$650 million (up 96%), and net income also more than doubled (up 119%), as net income margin reached 2.8%, the highest in many years. First quarter Group revenue continued hypergrowth to US$16.9 billion, up 27% year-on-year.
Looking ahead, the company sees continued opportunities for sustainable growth and profitability improvements across its business, in areas such as vertical solutions, infrastructure solutions, premium PCs, and adjacent non-PC devices such as tablets, smartphones, embedded computing, and other smart devices. Additionally, innovation will continue to help drive profitable, sustainable growth. Having increased R&D expense in the first quarter by 40% year-on-year, Lenovo will further invest in innovation and double its R&D investments over the next three years.
This quarter is the first time the company is reporting under the new business group structure of Solutions and Services Group (SSG), Infrastructure Solutions Group (ISG), and Intelligent Devices Group (IDG) that was announced earlier this year.
Net Income (profit attributable to equity holders)
Basic earnings per share (US cents)
Chairman and CEO quote – Yuanqing Yang:
“The accelerated digital and intelligent transformation has created significant market opportunities globally. Lenovo is successfully seizing these as we transform from a device company to a services and solutions provider. The proof is in our performance - this quarter alone we’ve doubled profitability year-on-year while net income margin reached the highest in many years,” said Yuanqing Yang, Lenovo Chairman and CEO. “Going forward, we will continue to increase R&D investment, aiming to double it over the next three years; we will further improve our operational excellence; and we remain committed to green innovation and corporate citizenship to achieve long-term sustainable profitability increases.”
Solutions and Services Group (SSG): driving increased Group profitability in rapid growth sectors
The industry is transforming with customers needing more sophisticated IT services, creating huge opportunities for solution services and managed services, including the subscription-based as-a-Service model. It’s estimated that the IT services market will be worth over US$1 trillion through 2025.
- Significant Q1 revenue growth (38% year-on-year to US$1.18 billion) across three key segments of SSG (support services, managed services/as-a-Service, vertical solutions) with an operating margin of 22%, much higher than the traditional hardware businesses.
- Support services profitability was up almost three points year-on-year; revenue from managed service/as-a-Service achieved double-digit growth year-on-year, and contract value for vertical solutions achieved triple digit growth year-on-year.
- Success has come from several new high profile smart city and smart retail deals, as well as hybrid cloud solutions using Lenovo IP.
- Against this backdrop, Lenovo will improve penetration rates for support services and leverage the increasing device install base, especially as the commercial sector rebounds to growth. For as-a-Service the company is aggressively investing in capabilities, platforms, and tools, as well as driving scale through building more repeatable vertical solutions using Lenovo’s own IP and through strategic partnerships.
- The significantly higher margins of the three key segments for SSG will drive higher profitability for the Group overall in the quarters and years to come.
Infrastructure Solutions Group (ISG): accelerating profitability and significantly outgrowing the market quarter after quarter
ICT infrastructure is the foundation to digital and intelligent transformation, with ICT infrastructure predicted to be a near US$250 billion market through 2025. After investing in building a strong foundation, Lenovo is well positioned as a “full-stack” ICT provider.
- ISG delivered record revenue of US$1.8 billion, has outperformed the market for six straight quarters, while achieving the best results in five years.
- Now #3 in the global x86 Server market and #2 in mainstream storage.
- Higher margin businesses – storage, software, and Hybrid Cloud solutions – continue strong growth year-on-year, with Hybrid Cloud Solutions growing high double-digit year-on-year.
- The Group will continue to invest to grow the business with a vision to become the largest data center infrastructure solutions provider, by increasing investments in edge computing, Hybrid cloud solutions, and 5G cloud-network convergence. The company will continue to strengthen in-house design and manufacturing capabilities, improve efficiencies, and expand strategic partnerships to enable more solutions.
- Ongoing investment in overall ISG competitiveness will further drive profitability and overall competitiveness for the business group.
Intelligent Devices Group (IDG): record profit, further growing non-PC businesses
The pandemic has changed how people live and work, with PCs returning to the center of digital lives. The PC refreshment cycle has shortened, the penetration rate has increased and the total PC demand until 2025 will at least remain at current levels, with commercial demand rebounding quickly. At the same time, the IoT market is expected to surge by 11% CAGR through 2025. And new opportunities in non-PC businesses are growing rapidly.
- Record first quarter for both profit and revenue. Profit of US$1.1 billion, up 43% year-on-year and revenue of US$14.7 billion, up 28% year-on-year - driven by a combination of strong performance in PCs and growing performance of non-PC segments, which now account for 18% of IDG’s total revenue.
- Average Selling Price and profitability continue to trend up, thanks to ongoing investment in premium and high growth PC segments like Gaming, Workstation, Thin & Light.
- Lenovo strengthened its #2 position in the global Android tablet market, and the smartphone business delivered over 60% revenue growth year-on year and is now a self-sustainable healthy business, with record operating margin for the quarter of almost 5%.
- Lenovo will further invest in smarter devices, core component technologies, and next generation computing platforms.
- Lenovo will leverage its broad customer base to cross sell non-PC products, to drive sustainable profitability increases.
Operational highlights and investing for the future
- Q1 R&D expense increased 40% year-on-year, with a commitment to double R&D investment over the next three years.
- The company recently climbed 65 places to be ranked #159 on the Fortune Global 500 list, an all-time high ranking
- The Group’s operational excellence and global supply chain continue to be best-in-class, helping the business to navigate ongoing global component supply challenges.
- The Group continues to focus across ESG, through both its science-based climate targets and by driving green innovation; supporting communities and businesses in need as a result of COVID challenges, and empowering under-represented communities with access to technology and STEM education through the Lenovo Foundation. The Group’s annual ESGreport will be published in September 2021. Lenovo has also recently been named best workplace for disability inclusion by the Disability:IN 2021 equality index.
Lenovo (HKSE: 992) (PINK SHEETS: LNVGY) is a US$60 billion revenue Fortune Global 500 company serving customers in 180 markets around the world. Focused on a bold vision to deliver smarter technology for all, we are developing world-changing technologies that power (through devices and infrastructure) and empower (through solutions, services and software) millions of customers every day and together create a more inclusive, trustworthy and sustainable digital society for everyone, everywhere. To find out more visit https://www.lenovo.com and read about the latest news via our StoryHub.
For the fiscal quarter ended June 30, 2021
(in US$ millions, except per share data)
Gross profit margin
Other non-operating expenses - net
Profit for the period
Profit attributable to equity holders
EPS (US cents)
To view this piece of content from cts.businesswire.com, please give your consent at the top of this page.
About Business Wire
Subscribe to releases from Business Wire
Subscribe to all the latest releases from Business Wire by registering your e-mail address below. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Latest releases from Business Wire
Celltrion’s monoclonal antibody treatment for COVID-19, regdanvimab (CT-P59) becomes the first authorized COVID-19 treatment approved from the Korean Ministry of Food and Drug Safety (MFDS)18.9.2021 15:34:00 CEST | Press release
Celltrion Group announced that the Korean Ministry of Food and Drug Safety (MFDS) approved regdanvimab (CT-P59), a monoclonal antibody treatment for COVID-19 for the extended use in elderly patients aged 50 years and over, or with at least one underlying medical condition (the obese, cardiovascular disease, chronic lung disease, diabetes, chronic kidney disease, chronic liver disease, and patients with immunosuppressive agents) with mild symptoms of COVID-19, and adult patients with moderate symptoms of COVID-19. This marks the first time a monoclonal antibody treatment for COVID-19 has received a full approval to treat patients with COVID-19 from the Korean MFDS. In February, the Korean MFDS granted a Conditional Marketing Authorisation (CMA) for the emergency use of regdanvimab (CT-P59) and allowed the use of CT-P59 in adult patients aged 60 years and over, or with at least one underlying medical condition (cardiovascular, chronic respiratory disease, diabetes, high blood pressure) w
Ipsen: ESMO 2021: Cabometyx ® Demonstrates Sustained 78% Reduction in Risk of Disease Progression or Death in People Living With Uncommon Form of Thyroid Cancer18.9.2021 06:30:00 CEST | Press release
Regulatory News: Ipsen (Euronext: IPN; ADR: IPSEY) today announced presentation of new analyses at the European Society for Medical Oncology (ESMO) Congress 2021 across different forms of cancer for people treated with Cabometyx® (cabozantinib). Of note, the final analysis of the pivotal Phase III COSMIC-311 trial (Abstract LBA67) will be presented, with Cabometyx demonstrating a clinically meaningful, sustained efficacy benefit versus placebo in people living with previously treated radioactive iodine-refractory differentiated thyroid cancer (RAI-R DTC). With a median follow-up of 10.1 months, Cabometyx continued to demonstrate superior median progression-free survival (mPFS) with a reduction in the risk of disease progression or death of 78% versus placebo (hazard ratio [HR]: 0.22, 96% confidence interval [CI]: 0.15-0.32; p<0.0001).1 This final analysis is consistent with data from the interim analysis, presented at the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) Annual Meeting 2021
Unifrax Hosts Groundbreaking Ceremony for SiFAB™ Manufacturing Line17.9.2021 20:46:00 CEST | Press release
Today, Unifrax, a leading manufacturer of high-performance specialty materials, held a ceremonial event celebrating its first large-scale SiFAB™ Silicon Fiber Anode Battery Technology manufacturing line, which is currently under construction at the company’s north central Indiana facility. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210917005495/en/ Unifrax team celebrates SiFAB groundbreaking at New Carlisle plant. (Photo: Business Wire) The event recognized Unifrax’s ongoing partnership with the State of Indiana and St. Joseph County, along with SiFAB’s continued progress. Unifrax executives, along with the SiFAB manufacturing team and local and state government officials, kicked off the ceremony at 10 a.m. EDT at the New Carlisle, IN plant, with remarks by John Dandolph, president and CEO, Unifrax. “Through the support of the State of Indiana and St. Joseph County, we have the ability to leverage our existing New Carli
Prince William announces 15 Finalists for inaugural year of the £50 million Earthshot Prize17.9.2021 19:01:00 CEST | Press release
The Earthshot Prize announces today its first-ever shortlist of 15 Finalists, each with a chance of winning £1million to support their innovative environmental solutions to the greatest challenges facing the planet. Prince William said: "Over half a century ago, President Kennedy’s ‘Moonshot’ programme united millions of people around the goal of reaching the moon. Inspired by this, The Earthshot Prize aims to mobilise collective action around our unique ability to innovate, problem solve and repair our planet. “I am honoured to introduce the 15 innovators, leaders, and visionaries who are the first ever Finalists for The Earthshot Prize. They are working with the urgency required in this decisive decade for life on Earth and will inspire all of us with their optimism in our ability to rise to the greatest challenges in human history.” Launched by Prince William and The Royal Foundation in October 2020, The Earthshot Prize is the most prestigious global environment prize in history. Li
Wipro Announces Co-innovation Space with Google Cloud17.9.2021 15:32:00 CEST | Press release
Wipro Limited (NYSE: WIT, BSE: 507685, NSE: WIPRO), a leading global information technology, consulting and business process services company, today announced the launch of the Wipro-Google Cloud Innovation Arena in Bangalore, India. This cloud collaboration space will provide in-house technical expertise, ensure seamless cloud adoption, and accelerate innovation to drive business transformation for customers. By combining the expertise and resources of Wipro FullStride Cloud Services and Google Cloud, this jointly developed innovation center will offer a unique combination of people, processes, and platforms that will collectively create a futuristic experience for customers globally. This state-of-the-art arena will showcase the talent, tools and best practices required to develop and deploy applications on Google Cloud. Jason Eichenholz, Senior Vice President, Global Head of Ecosystems & Partnerships, Wipro Limited said, “We are excited to strengthen our partnership with Google Clou
Zynga Announces ReVamp, the First Multiplayer Social Deception Game For Snapchat17.9.2021 15:00:00 CEST | Press release
Zynga Inc. (Nasdaq: ZNGA), a global leader in interactive entertainment, announced today that ReVamp, an upcoming multiplayer social deception game, will launch soon in select markets exclusively for Snapchat. The vampire-themed game will be the first social deception title on Snapchat, giving Snapchatters their first chance to sink their teeth into this popular genre. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210917005012/en/ Zynga Announces ReVamp, the First Multiplayer Social Deception Game For Snapchat (Graphic: Business Wire) ReVamp is a real-time multiplayer imposter game where players aim to reveal who the vampire player is among their group of friends while they renovate the rooms of an old mansion. In the game, human players must complete renovation tasks, such as demolition and building, to improve their chances of survival while identifying and defeating the vampire during the voting phase. Vampire players mu
BeiGene Receives Positive CHMP Opinion for BRUKINSA ® (Zanubrutinib) for the Treatment of Adults with Waldenström’s Macroglobulinemia17.9.2021 14:00:00 CEST | Press release
BeiGene (NASDAQ: BGNE; HKEX: 06160) today announced the Committee for Medicinal Products for Human Use (CHMP) of the European Medicines Agency (EMA) has adopted a positive opinion, recommending approval of BRUKINSA (zanubrutinib) for the treatment of adult patients with Waldenström’s macroglobulinemia (WM) who have received at least one prior therapy or first-line treatment for patients unsuitable for chemo-immunotherapy. “Bruton’s tyrosine kinase (BTK) inhibitors have emerged as a promising treatment for WM, yet treatment discontinuation due to lack of response or side effects remains a concern,” said Prof. Christian Buske, Medical Director at the University Hospital Ulm, Germany, and a trial investigator of the ASPEN study. “The ASPEN trial demonstrated that BRUKINSA provided deep and durable responses and offered substantial improvements in safety and tolerability over standard therapy. Patients in Europe with WM may soon have a new treatment option that can offer improved outcomes.
In our pressroom you can read all our latest releases, find our press contacts, images, documents and other relevant information about us.Visit our pressroom