Newmont Publishes 2021 Sustainability Report
Today, Newmont Corporation (NYSE: NEM, TSX: NGT) launched its 2021 Sustainability Report as part of its suite of reports on the Company’s environmental, social and governance (ESG) practices in key areas that include health, safety and security, human rights, the environment, social acceptance, governance, and inclusion and diversity.
This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20220414005599/en/
“Newmont has a long tradition of setting and transparently reporting against public targets. With this report, we offer stakeholders a clear and comprehensive understanding of our most material sustainability topics,” said Tom Palmer, Newmont President and CEO. “As the world’s leading gold company, our ESG practices are woven into the fabric of our company as we work to deliver on our purpose: to create value and improve lives through sustainable and responsible mining.”
Highlights of Newmont’s 2021 Sustainability Report:
- Commitment to health and safety: Achieved zero work-related fatalities for the third year in a row. Further embedded our Fatality Risk Management program with a focus on verifying the critical controls that prevent fatalities and coaching frontline leaders to provide visible, felt leadership.
- Response to COVID-19: Continued to put the health, safety and wellbeing of our workforce and host communities at the heart of every decision the Company made. Newmont strongly supported COVID-19 vaccines as they became available and adopted the position of requiring all employees and third-party workers to be fully vaccinated. With contributions through Newmont’s Global Community Support Fund, the Company supported COVID-19 testing facilities, vaccine awareness campaigns and vaccine rollouts in areas near our operations.
- Sustainability-linked financial performance: Established the industry’s first sustainability-linked bond, holding Newmont to account for meeting our 2030 emissions reductions targets and to achieve gender parity in senior leadership roles by 2030. This represents the next step in aligning our business to our commitments and values by linking the interest rate payout to our performance on key ESG priorities.
- Value sharing: Newmont played an important role in creating economic value in host communities and jurisdictions, contributing $10.8 billion to its workforce, host communities and jurisdictions through wages and benefits, operating costs, capital spend, royalties and taxes. This includes spending $1.4 billion with local and Indigenous suppliers, $21.9 million in community investments and providing ongoing opportunities for local and Indigenous employment, along with an additional $3.5 million from Newmont’s Global Community Support Fund.
Newmont’s sustainability efforts continue to be recognized by several leading independent organizations:
- Recognized as a leading gold miner for the seventh consecutive year in the Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI) while continuing to be ranked as the top mining company on FORTUNE’s list of the World’s Most Admired Companies;
- Earned a rating of “AA” from MSCI, putting Newmont in the top quartile for precious metals and mining;
- Listed as sixth overall and the top mining company in 3BL’s 100 Best Corporate Citizens;
- Included in Bloomberg’s Gender-Equality Index (GEI) for Newmont’s efforts to advance women in the workplace for the fourth successive year;
- Named to the JUST 100 as one of America’s most JUST companies by JUST Capital and CNBC, included in the JUST 100 and named Industry Leader for 2022; and
- One of the most transparent companies in the S&P 500, according to Bloomberg’s ESG Disclosure Score.
Newmont’s 2021 Sustainability Report is written in accordance with the GRI 2016 Universal Standards Core option, the GRI Mining and Metals Sector Supplement, the Sustainability Accounting Standards Board (SASB) Metals and Mining standards and is externally assured by an independent third-party. Additionally, Newmont’s sustainability report aligns with ICMM’s Mining Principles’ Performance Expectations and the World Gold Council’s Responsible Gold Mining Principles.
The full 2021 Sustainability Report, along with the ESG data tables and comprehensive GRI and SASB content indices, is available for download on Newmont’s website.
Newmont is the world’s leading gold company and a producer of copper, silver, zinc and lead. The Company’s world-class portfolio of assets, prospects and talent is anchored in favorable mining jurisdictions in North America, South America, Australia and Africa. Newmont is the only gold producer listed in the S&P 500 Index and is widely recognized for its principled environmental, social and governance practices. The Company is an industry leader in value creation, supported by robust safety standards, superior execution and technical expertise. Newmont was founded in 1921 and has been publicly traded since 1925.
At Newmont, our purpose is to create value and improve lives through sustainable and responsible mining. To learn more about Newmont’s sustainability strategy and initiatives, go to www.newmont.com.
To view this piece of content from cts.businesswire.com, please give your consent at the top of this page.
About Business Wire
Subscribe to releases from Business Wire
Subscribe to all the latest releases from Business Wire by registering your e-mail address below. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Latest releases from Business Wire
Align Announces Additional Leadership for UK and EMEA to Support Continued Growth18.5.2022 17:11:00 CEST | Press release
Align, the premier global provider of technology infrastructure solutions celebrates significant growth throughout the UK and EMEA markets with management changes to support increasing demand. The appointment of Giulia Marcolina as Managing Director and Mike Konold as AV Solutions Director of Align’s UK-based headquarters, will enable the team to deliver innovative collaborative technology and state-of-the-art AV solutions. This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20220518005833/en/ Giulia Marcolina, a 15 year veteran with Align, is named Managing Director of Align's UK-based headquarters. (Photo: Business Wire) Giulia brings over 25 years of IT experience, previously serving as Align’s Programme Manager, delivering corporate office relocation and consolidation projects for clients such as Blackrock, Total Gas and Power, and UBS. In her new role, she will lead Align’s team of project managers in building upon Align’s lon
RMS Advances Climate Risk Modeling and Moves More Models to High Definition18.5.2022 16:30:00 CEST | Press release
RMS®, a Moody’s Analytics company and world-leading risk modeling and solutions company, today announces it will be releasing four new High Definition™ (HD) models, including Europe Windstorm, North America Winterstorm (WT), North America Severe Convective Storm (SCS), and Terrorism. RMS HD Models represent the next generation of risk modeling, delivering deeper analysis and granularity from Moody’s. The HD probabilistic models incorporate a high-fidelity, simulation-based framework for modeling event frequency and severity, to provide a major step forward in the quality of catastrophe risk quantification. The framework allows for event footprints to be represented more realistically across larger event sets. The new RMS Europe Windstorm HD Model further enhances the current model and will cover 17 countries, adding Finland and Lichtenstein. The HD model includes a climate variability view and has expanded storm surge analytics to include the U.K., Ireland, France, and Belgium. Storm c
Suketu Upadhyay Elected to Vertex Board of Directors18.5.2022 16:30:00 CEST | Press release
Vertex Pharmaceuticals Incorporated (Nasdaq: VRTX) today announced that Suketu (“Suky”) Upadhyayhas been elected to its board of directors as an independent director. Mr. Upadhyay is a global business executive with more than 20 years of experience in the pharmaceutical and medical technology sectors, serving in financial and strategy roles covering multiple areas of the life sciences sector. He is currently the Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer of Zimmer Biomet, a leading global innovator and manufacturer of orthopedic solutions, a position he has held since July 2019. “We are delighted to have Suky join the Vertex Board. His extensive financial and strategic experience in health care, paired with his leadership and expertise across biopharma and medtech, make him a valuable addition to our board of directors,” said Reshma Kewalramani, M.D., Vertex’s Chief Executive Officer and President. “It’s an honor to join Vertex, a company focused on serial innovation with an
Armory Makes Continuous Deployment Achievable and Effortless, at any Scale, for all Developers18.5.2022 16:17:00 CEST | Press release
Armory, the Continuous Deployment company empowering development teams to easily, reliably, safely, and continuously deploy software at any scale, today announced public early access to their new Continuous Deployment-as-a-Service product. Armory Continuous Deployment-as-a-Service delivers declarative deployments, across multiple environments, that support advanced strategies, so developers can focus on building great code rather than deploying it. “We believe deploying software continuously, at any scale, should be achievable and effortless for all developers of the world, not just the likes of Google and Netflix,” said Jim Douglas, President and CEO, Armory. “It’s our vision and mission to unlock innovation through software to make software continuous, scalable, secure, and safe, so developers can improve and protect their customers’ experience with confidence and ease.” To effectively compete in a software-defined world, development teams must ensure a stellar customer experience. S
Sermo Survey Reveals New Lung & Breast Cancer Research Rated as Most Interesting by Oncologists Attending ASCO This Year18.5.2022 15:15:00 CEST | Press release
A new survey from Sermo, a physician-first online community and leader in global HCP insights, timed to the annual American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) conference found that nearly half (47%) of attending oncologists are most interested in new data being presented about lung cancer. This is followed by a similarly high interest in new data about breast cancer, as reported by 44% of oncologists surveyed. Additionally, oncologists/hematologists reported they are most excited about learning about tumor targeting antibodies treatments as reported by 54% of those surveyed. Ahead of ASCO’s Annual Meeting, new cancer research and innovations are the driving reason surveyed oncologists/hematologists are attending the conference this year (59%). However, how they plan to attend looks different to many oncologists, as only 18% of oncologists/hematologists surveyed said they will attend ASCO in-person this year. A Look Into the Pandemic’s Negative Impacts on Cancer Care Globally Oncologis
In our pressroom you can read all our latest releases, find our press contacts, images, documents and other relevant information about us.Visit our pressroom