Corporate R&D spending hits record highs for the Top 1000, despite concerns of economic protectionism
- Annual worldwide R&D spending breaks through $700bn for the top 1000 corporate R&D spenders for first time
- 25% of executives surveyed reported having already experienced some pressure to change how or where they conduct innovation
- Amazon is the world's largest corporate spender on R&D at over $16bn
- Alphabet surpasses Apple, according to a global survey of R&D executives, as the Most Innovative Company and for the first time a Chinese company, Alibaba joins the Top 10 Most Innovative Companies list
NEW YORK, Oct. 24, 2017 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Annual worldwide corporate R&D spending broke through $700bn in annual investment, according to an annual analysis of R&D spending across 1000 global public companies by PwC's Strategy&.
It shows corporate R&D spending increased a steady 3% in the past year, bouncing back from less than 1% increase previously.
However, in a global survey with 562 executive participants, R&D leaders expressed concerns about the growing heat of rhetoric about economic nationalism - and its potential impact on where companies invest in R&D how they conduct innovation.
Overall, 52% of respondents say that a general move toward economic nationalism will have a moderate or significant impact on their companies' R&D efforts.
Major companies have been conducting some R&D outside their headquarters countries for decades. In 2015 it was determined that 94% of major corporations conduct their R&D in multiple countries. But increasing attention on regulations and policies for visas, labor movement, and the regulations governing the sharing of knowledge and technology are causing some companies to question how sustainable their integrated global innovation networks are.
Nearly 33% of R&D executives surveyed, report that they have already felt the effects of economic nationalism on their R&D talent acquisition or retention because of visa or work restrictions - either losing employees, seeing less talent available, or in hiring more local talent.
- Although nearly 66% of all participants surveyed say they have not experienced pressure to change their approach to innovation in their headquarters country to date, 23% say they have already experienced such pressure in another country.
- Almost 50% of the companies in North America plan to make changes to their R&D programs over the next two years in response to the changing political environment.
- Survey participants believed US, UK, and China could be most at risk from potential changes in policy that could impact R&D investment. Both the US and UK's talent flow could be at risk of potential disruption while China's decline in corporate R&D spending and reliance on R&D investment from abroad could be at risk.
- Canada, Germany, and France are likely to gain if protectionist policies broadly become a reality.
"It's been a year of highs and lows for R&D. Record levels of investment, next to unprecedented drops in alignment between innovation and business strategies. There's no doubt that uncertainty is causing concern for medium and long term plans, irrespective of whether policy realities actually follow political rhetoric," comments Barry Jaruzelski, Principal, PwC US, Strategy&
"Although the goals and levels of investment in corporate innovation will likely not change if economic nationalism continues to develop, the global innovation model would need to evolve. At many companies, what is now a nimble, interdependent network may become a group of more autonomous hubs, hiring specialist technical talent in local regional markets and opening future R&D centers in regional markets. It could mean companies losing efficiency and taking on higher costs if it is not managed effectively," Commented Jaruzelski.
Global Innovation 1000
The Strategy& Global Innovation 1000 study analyses spending at the world's 1000 largest publicly listed corporate R&D spenders and is now in its 13th year
- Amazon is the largest spender on R&D in the Global Innovation 1000 study, the first time the top spender is a high tech firm. All top four spenders are high tech companies.
- Overall, Software & Internet industry companies continue to increase their year-on-year R&D spending, and the analysis shows that by 2018, Healthcare companies will surpass Computing & Electronics to become the largest industry in terms of R&D spending - the first time in 12 years of analysis.
- Overall, Computing & Electronics, Healthcare, and Automotive are the top three industry sectors and represented 61.3% of global R&D spending in 2017.
- Alphabet, Amazon, GE, IBM and Microsoft all increased their ranking in the 10 Most Innovative Companies list, according to a global survey of R&D executives
- R&D spending by companies based in China declined for the first time in the study, it increased in Japan for first time in 4 years, and continued to grow moderately in North America.
Notes to Editors
- In 2016, worldwide R&D spending among the world's 1000 largest corporate R&D spenders increased 0.04% in 2016 to $680 billion.
- R&D intensity - the measure of R&D spending relative to sales - hit an all-time study high of 4.5%: a rise of 6% year on year amongst the world's top 1000 R&D spenders.
- Companies that deployed 60% or more of their R&D spending outside their headquarters country earned a premium of 30% on operating margin and return on assets, and 20% on growth in operating income over their more domestically focused competitors.
- Uncertainty in economic policy may also be contributing to an unprecedented 19% drop in high alignment between innovation and business strategies within companies, making companies cautious about how to plan for their innovation strategy in the short and medium term.
- The study finds that companies ranked in the list of top ten most innovative companies outperform the top ten R&D spenders on financial metrics including growth, EBITDA, and market capitalisation.
- China's corporate R&D spending had experienced double-digit growth rates for many years, but in 2017 the country saw a 3.3% decline in corporate R&D spending for the first time in the study. 80% of China's R&D spend in 2015 was performed by companies headquartered in other countries. The combination of these trends for China makes the country vulnerable to potential disruptions of R&D investment coming from abroad.
Strategy& is a global team of practical strategists committed to helping you seize essential advantage. We do that by working alongside you to solve your toughest problems and helping you capture your greatest opportunities. We bring 100 years of strategy consulting experience and the unrivaled industry and functional capabilities of the PwC network to the task. We are part of the PwC network of firms in 157 countries with more than 223,000 people committed to delivering quality in assurance, tax, and advisory services.
© 2017 PwC. All rights reserved. PwC refers to the PwC network and/or one or more of its member firms, each of which is a separate legal entity. Please see www.pwc.com/structure for further details.
Rowena Mearley, PwC Global Media Relations
Tel: + 1 646 313 0937
The issuer of this announcement warrants that they are solely responsible for the content, accuracy and originality of the information contained therein.
Source: PwC via Globenewswire
Följ NASDAQ OMX
Abonnera på våra pressmeddelanden.
Senaste pressmeddelandena från NASDAQ OMX
LeoVegas applies for gambling licence in Sweden20.8.2018 12:05 | Pressmeddelande
On January 1, 2019, Sweden becomes a licensed gaming market and LeoVegas has now submitted its application to obtain a licence for casino and sports betting. This is in line with LeoVegas' expansion strategy and is one of the steps towards achieving the financial targets for the year 2020, which are to reach at least EUR 600 m in revenue and EBITDA of at least EUR 100 m. "While it has been known for some time that Sweden is introducing a local licence system, it is very exciting to formally submit an application and is something we have been looking forward to for a long time. Sweden's becoming a locally regulated market is a milestone for Sweden, the industry and LeoVegas. Now, for the first time, everyone can compete on equal terms in a regulated environment, where responsible gaming is a very important part. We believe we have great opportunities to continue gaining market shares in the Swedish market. LeoVegas is a company that operates on several regulated markets and thus has the
LeoVegas ansöker om spellicens i Sverige20.8.2018 12:05 | Pressmeddelande
Den 1:a Januari 2019 blir Sverige en licensierad spelmarknad och LeoVegas har nu lämnat in sin licensansökan för casino och sportspel. Detta ligger i linje med LeoVegas expansionsstrategi och är ett av stegen för att uppnå de finansiella målen år 2020 om minst 600 MEUR i intäkter och minst 100 MEUR i EBITDA. "Att Sverige inför ett lokalt licenssystem har varit känt en längre tid men att formellt lämna in ansökan känns oerhört bra och någonting vi sett fram emot länge. Att Sverige äntligen blir en reglerad marknad är en milstolpe för Sverige, branschen och LeoVegas. Nu kan alla för första gången konkurrera på lika villkor i en reglerad miljö, där ansvarsfullt spelande är en väldigt viktig del. Vi anser oss ha stora möjligheter att fortsätta ta marknadsandelar på den svenska marknaden. LeoVegas är ett bolag som opererar på flera reglerade marknader och har därmed de rätta verktygen och kunskapen för att skapa en hållbar och stark tillväxt.", säger Gustaf Hagman, Group CEO. Reglerade mark
Stillfront Group AB: Stillfront Group rekryterar IR- och kommunikationschef20.8.2018 08:30 | Pressmeddelande
PRESSMEDDELANDE 2018-08-20 Stillfront Group rekryterar IR- och kommunikationschef Sofia Wretman har utsetts till IR- och kommunikationschef för Stillfront Group och kommer att ingå i koncernledningen. Befattningen är ny och omfattar intern och extern kommunikation samt investor relations. Sofia Wretman har mer än 15 års erfarenhet av att arbeta strategiskt med kommunikations- och IR-frågor inom olika branscher. Tidigare positioner inkluderar bland annat IR- och kommunikationschef på Alimak Group, seniorkonsult på Hallvarsson & Halvarsson och kommunikationsansvarig på SAS Institute. "Vi är glada att välkomna Sofia till Stillfronts ledning. Sofia blir ansvarig för koncernens kommunikation, internt och externt samt investor relations. Rekryteringen av Sofia och tillsättningen av denna tjänst, som är ny, är ett led i bolagets planerade listbyte till Nasdaq Stockholms huvudlista. Denna satsning är också viktig då gruppen sedan noteringen på First North 2015 har vuxit med flera stora förvärv
Stillfront Group AB: Stillfront Group announces Head of IR & Communications20.8.2018 08:30 | Pressmeddelande
PRESS RELEASE 2018-08-20 Stillfront Group announces Head of IR & Communications Sofia Wretman has been appointed as Head of IR & Communications and will be part of the Group's management team. The position is new and covers both internal and external communications as well as investor relations. Sofia Wretman has more than fifteen years of experience of strategic communication and investor relations from a range of industries. Former positions include Head of IR & Communications at Alimak Group, Senior Consultant at Hallvarsson & Halvarsson and Communications manager at SAS Institute. "We are pleased to welcome Sofia as member of the management team. Sofia will be responsible for internal and external communications as well as investor relations. The recruitment of Sofia and the appointment of this new role is part of the Group's planned move to the main market of Nasdaq Stockholm. The recruitment is also important as the Group since its listing at First North in 2015, has grown rapidl
BIMobject AB: Kallelse till extra bolagsstämma den 5 september 2018. Patrick Söderlund och Hjalmar Winbladh föreslås som nya styrelseledamöter i BIMobject AB. Split 2:1 föreslås.15.8.2018 15:30 | Pressmeddelande
Aktieägare representerande cirka 49 procent av rösterna i BIMobject AB har meddelat att de föreslår att Hjalmar Winbladh och Patrick Söderlund väljs till nya styrelseledamöter vid en extra bolagsstämma onsdagen den 5 september 2018. Ben O'Donnell lämnar sitt uppdrag som styrelseledamot i samband med den extra bolagsstämman. Styrelsen kommer därefter att bestå av Stefan Larsson (VD), Anders Wilhjelm (ordförande), Johannes Reischböck, Philippe Butty, Hjalmar Winbladh och Patrick Söderlund. Vidare föreslås ändrad ersättning till styrelsen. Nytt arvode utgår med 800 000 kronor, fördelat mellan styrelseordförande och Söderlund om 400 000 kronor vardera. Styrelsen föreslår även att stämman beslutar om aktieuppdelning av befintliga utestående aktier i förhållande 2:1. Patrick Söderlund, född 1973 och svensk medborgare, är Chief Design Officer samt Executive Vice President på Electronic Arts. I denna roll leder han utvecklingen av bolagets tekniska innovationer och bolagets marknadsföringsteam
BIMobject AB: Notice to attend Extraordinary General Meeting on September 5, 2018. Patrick Söderlund and Hjalmar Winbladh proposed as new Board Members in BIMobject AB. A split 2:1 is proposed.15.8.2018 15:30 | Pressmeddelande
Shareholders representing approximately 49 percent of the votes in BIMobject AB have announced that they propose that Hjalmar Winbladh and Patrick Söderlund are appointed new Board Members at an Extraordinary General Meeting to be held on Wednesday September 5, 2018. Ben O'Donnell resigns as Board Member in connection with the Extraordinary General Meeting. The Board will thereafter be composed of Stefan Larsson (CEO), Anders Wilhjelm (Chairman), Johannes Reischböck, Philippe Butty, Hjalmar Winbladh and Patrick Söderlund. Furthermore, a change in remuneration to the Board is proposed. The new Board fee totals SEK 800,000 and is to be divided between the Chairman and Söderlund with SEK 400,000 each. The board also proposes that the General Meeting resolves to split the company's shares 2:1. Patrick Söderlund, born in 1973 and a Swedish citizen, is Chief Design Officer and Executive Vice President at Electronic Arts. In his present role he manages the development of technology innovation
I vårt pressrum kan du läsa de senaste pressmeddelandena, få tillgång till pressmaterial och hitta kontaktinformation.Besök vårt pressrum