Corporate R&D spending hits record highs for the Top 1000, despite concerns of economic protectionism
- Annual worldwide R&D spending breaks through $700bn for the top 1000 corporate R&D spenders for first time
- 25% of executives surveyed reported having already experienced some pressure to change how or where they conduct innovation
- Amazon is the world's largest corporate spender on R&D at over $16bn
- Alphabet surpasses Apple, according to a global survey of R&D executives, as the Most Innovative Company and for the first time a Chinese company, Alibaba joins the Top 10 Most Innovative Companies list
NEW YORK, Oct. 24, 2017 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Annual worldwide corporate R&D spending broke through $700bn in annual investment, according to an annual analysis of R&D spending across 1000 global public companies by PwC's Strategy&.
It shows corporate R&D spending increased a steady 3% in the past year, bouncing back from less than 1% increase previously.
However, in a global survey with 562 executive participants, R&D leaders expressed concerns about the growing heat of rhetoric about economic nationalism - and its potential impact on where companies invest in R&D how they conduct innovation.
Overall, 52% of respondents say that a general move toward economic nationalism will have a moderate or significant impact on their companies' R&D efforts.
Major companies have been conducting some R&D outside their headquarters countries for decades. In 2015 it was determined that 94% of major corporations conduct their R&D in multiple countries. But increasing attention on regulations and policies for visas, labor movement, and the regulations governing the sharing of knowledge and technology are causing some companies to question how sustainable their integrated global innovation networks are.
Nearly 33% of R&D executives surveyed, report that they have already felt the effects of economic nationalism on their R&D talent acquisition or retention because of visa or work restrictions - either losing employees, seeing less talent available, or in hiring more local talent.
- Although nearly 66% of all participants surveyed say they have not experienced pressure to change their approach to innovation in their headquarters country to date, 23% say they have already experienced such pressure in another country.
- Almost 50% of the companies in North America plan to make changes to their R&D programs over the next two years in response to the changing political environment.
- Survey participants believed US, UK, and China could be most at risk from potential changes in policy that could impact R&D investment. Both the US and UK's talent flow could be at risk of potential disruption while China's decline in corporate R&D spending and reliance on R&D investment from abroad could be at risk.
- Canada, Germany, and France are likely to gain if protectionist policies broadly become a reality.
"It's been a year of highs and lows for R&D. Record levels of investment, next to unprecedented drops in alignment between innovation and business strategies. There's no doubt that uncertainty is causing concern for medium and long term plans, irrespective of whether policy realities actually follow political rhetoric," comments Barry Jaruzelski, Principal, PwC US, Strategy&
"Although the goals and levels of investment in corporate innovation will likely not change if economic nationalism continues to develop, the global innovation model would need to evolve. At many companies, what is now a nimble, interdependent network may become a group of more autonomous hubs, hiring specialist technical talent in local regional markets and opening future R&D centers in regional markets. It could mean companies losing efficiency and taking on higher costs if it is not managed effectively," Commented Jaruzelski.
Global Innovation 1000
The Strategy& Global Innovation 1000 study analyses spending at the world's 1000 largest publicly listed corporate R&D spenders and is now in its 13th year
- Amazon is the largest spender on R&D in the Global Innovation 1000 study, the first time the top spender is a high tech firm. All top four spenders are high tech companies.
- Overall, Software & Internet industry companies continue to increase their year-on-year R&D spending, and the analysis shows that by 2018, Healthcare companies will surpass Computing & Electronics to become the largest industry in terms of R&D spending - the first time in 12 years of analysis.
- Overall, Computing & Electronics, Healthcare, and Automotive are the top three industry sectors and represented 61.3% of global R&D spending in 2017.
- Alphabet, Amazon, GE, IBM and Microsoft all increased their ranking in the 10 Most Innovative Companies list, according to a global survey of R&D executives
- R&D spending by companies based in China declined for the first time in the study, it increased in Japan for first time in 4 years, and continued to grow moderately in North America.
Notes to Editors
- In 2016, worldwide R&D spending among the world's 1000 largest corporate R&D spenders increased 0.04% in 2016 to $680 billion.
- R&D intensity - the measure of R&D spending relative to sales - hit an all-time study high of 4.5%: a rise of 6% year on year amongst the world's top 1000 R&D spenders.
- Companies that deployed 60% or more of their R&D spending outside their headquarters country earned a premium of 30% on operating margin and return on assets, and 20% on growth in operating income over their more domestically focused competitors.
- Uncertainty in economic policy may also be contributing to an unprecedented 19% drop in high alignment between innovation and business strategies within companies, making companies cautious about how to plan for their innovation strategy in the short and medium term.
- The study finds that companies ranked in the list of top ten most innovative companies outperform the top ten R&D spenders on financial metrics including growth, EBITDA, and market capitalisation.
- China's corporate R&D spending had experienced double-digit growth rates for many years, but in 2017 the country saw a 3.3% decline in corporate R&D spending for the first time in the study. 80% of China's R&D spend in 2015 was performed by companies headquartered in other countries. The combination of these trends for China makes the country vulnerable to potential disruptions of R&D investment coming from abroad.
Strategy& is a global team of practical strategists committed to helping you seize essential advantage. We do that by working alongside you to solve your toughest problems and helping you capture your greatest opportunities. We bring 100 years of strategy consulting experience and the unrivaled industry and functional capabilities of the PwC network to the task. We are part of the PwC network of firms in 157 countries with more than 223,000 people committed to delivering quality in assurance, tax, and advisory services.
© 2017 PwC. All rights reserved. PwC refers to the PwC network and/or one or more of its member firms, each of which is a separate legal entity. Please see www.pwc.com/structure for further details.
Rowena Mearley, PwC Global Media Relations
Tel: + 1 646 313 0937
The issuer of this announcement warrants that they are solely responsible for the content, accuracy and originality of the information contained therein.
Source: PwC via Globenewswire
Följ NASDAQ OMX
Abonnera på våra pressmeddelanden.
Senaste pressmeddelandena från NASDAQ OMX
VistaJet Partners With Christie's for the Global Tour of The Collection of Peggy and David Rockefeller22.11.2017 11:39 | Pressmeddelande
The sale will be the most significant philanthropic auction ever presented LONDON, Nov. 22, 2017 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- VistaJet, the first and only global private aviation company, announces today its worldwide sponsorship of the exhibition and tour of The Collection of Peggy and David Rockefeller, the most significant auction entirely dedicated to raising funds for philanthropic causes. The sale, consisting of numerous categories, will be conducted by Christie's, the world's leading art business, and will include a highlights exhibition tour in Hong Kong, London, Los Angeles and New York. Photos accompanying this announcement are available at http://www.globenewswire.com/NewsRoom/AttachmentNg/c78fdce7-7651-42a8-a621-14088da2cc86 http://www.globenewswire.com/NewsRoom/AttachmentNg/33af2489-a9a8-4bbe-b5f7-78e4c1f29ca2 http://www.globenewswire.com/NewsRoom/AttachmentNg/a16c2
Nasdaq to Deliver Blockchain e-Voting Solution to Strate22.11.2017 10:00 | Pressmeddelande
South Africa's central securities depository (CSD) will leverage the solution to improve voting efficiencies and increase shareholder participation in South Africa STOCKHOLM, Sweden and JOHANNESBURG, South Africa, Nov. 22, 2017 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Nasdaq (Nasdaq:NDAQ) and Strate (Pty) Ltd, the South African CSD, announced today an agreement for Nasdaq to deliver a new blockchain solution that would bring electronic voting to the South African capital markets. The solution will allow Strate, in conjunction with key stakeholders in the market, to provide general meeting services and give shareholders an easy, user-friendly and secure tool for voting remotely. The solution is based on the successful proof of concept (PoC) developed for Nasdaq's Estonia market. In addition, Strate will contribute to the ongoing market development of e-Voting technology. "We are very excited about our initiative with Nasdaq and what it means for the South African financial markets," said Tan
Immunicum AB: Invitation to Investor Events22.11.2017 08:00 | Pressmeddelande
Press release November 22, 2017 Invitation to Investor Events Immunicum AB (publ; First North Premier: IMMU.ST) a biopharmaceutical company advancing a novel immune-priming cancer treatment against a variety of solid tumors, today announced that CEO Carlos de Sousa will present the Company as well as provide background on the previously announced proposed Rights Issue at two upcoming investor events. Aktiespararna Stora Aktiedagen in Gothenburg Date: Monday, November 27, 2017 Presentation Time: 10:10-10:40 CET Location: Svenska Mässan, Mässans Gata 8, Gothenburg Please register to attend at https://www.aktiespararna.se/aktiviteter/stora-aktiedagen-goteborg. Immunicum Investor Event in Stockholm Date: Thursday, November 30, 2017 Presentation Time: 18:00-19:00 CET Location: United Spaces, Waterfront Building, Floor 2, Klarabergsviadukt
Immunicum AB: Inbjudan till investerarmöten22.11.2017 08:00 | Pressmeddelande
Pressmeddelande 22 november 2017 Inbjudan till investerarmöten Immunicum AB (publ), First North Premier: (IMMU.ST), ett bioteknikbolag som utvecklar nya immunaktiverande cancerbehandlingar för ett antal solida tumörer, meddelar dag att VD Carlos de Sousa kommer att presentera bolaget samt bakgrunden till bolagets föreslagna nyemission vid två kommande investerarmöten. Stora Aktiedagen i Göteborg, Aktiespararna Datum: Måndagen den 27 november, 2017 Plats: Svenska Mässan, Mässans gata 8, Göteborg Tid: Kl 10.10 - 10.40 i sal 4 Vänligen anmäl deltagande via https://www.aktiespararna.se/aktiviteter/stora-aktiedagen-goteborg. Immunicums investerarmöte i Stockholm Tid: Kl. 18.00 torsdagen 30 november 2017 Plats: United Spaces, Waterfront, Klarabergsviadukten 63 plan 2, Stockholm Det bjuds på lättare förtäring och dryck efter presentationen.
Oxford Immunotec to Present at the 29th Annual Piper Jaffray Healthcare Conference21.11.2017 15:15 | Pressmeddelande
OXFORD, United Kingdom and MARLBOROUGH, Mass., Nov. 21, 2017 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Oxford Immunotec Global PLC (Nasdaq:OXFD), a global, high-growth diagnostics company focused on developing and commercializing proprietary tests for the management of underserved immune-regulated conditions, today announced that Peter Wrighton-Smith, Chief Executive Officer, will present at the 29th Annual Piper Jaffray Healthcare Conference on Tuesday, November 28th, at 12:00 p.m. EST. The conference will be held at the Lotte New York Palace. A live webcast of the presentation will be available online from the investor relations page of the Company's corporate website at www.oxfordimmunotec.com. A webcast replay will be available approximately two hours after the live presentation and will be archived on the website for approximately 90 days. About Oxford Immunotec Oxford Immunotec Global PLC is a global, high-growth diagnostics company focused on developing and comme
OmniComm Systems Signs Letter of Intent to Acquire Certain Assets of Algorithm and its Subsidiary Algorics21.11.2017 14:00 | Pressmeddelande
Acquisition Will Expand OmniComm's Product Line With Data Analytics and Risk-Based Monitoring Solutions FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla., Nov. 21, 2017 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- OmniComm Systems, Inc. (OTCQX:OMCM), a leading global provider of clinical data management technology, and Algorithm, Inc. and its subsidiaries Algorics Ltd. and Algorithm Informatics Pvt. Ltd. (collectively, "Algorics"), have signed a letter of intent ("LOI"), under which OmniComm will acquire certain assets and assume certain liabilities of Algorics, a provider of clinical analytics solutions and software. By combining forces, the companies expect increased operating efficiency, strengthened traction in the maturing risk-based approach solution area, new marketing opportunities and an expanded portfolio of electronic data capture (EDC) solutions for the global clinical trials industry. The transaction would also provide OmniComm with an office in India, a country of growing importance in t
I vårt pressrum kan du läsa de senaste pressmeddelandena, få tillgång till pressmaterial och hitta kontaktinformation.Besök vårt pressrum