Corporate R&D spending hits record highs for the Top 1000, despite concerns of economic protectionism
- Annual worldwide R&D spending breaks through $700bn for the top 1000 corporate R&D spenders for first time
- 25% of executives surveyed reported having already experienced some pressure to change how or where they conduct innovation
- Amazon is the world's largest corporate spender on R&D at over $16bn
- Alphabet surpasses Apple, according to a global survey of R&D executives, as the Most Innovative Company and for the first time a Chinese company, Alibaba joins the Top 10 Most Innovative Companies list
NEW YORK, Oct. 24, 2017 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Annual worldwide corporate R&D spending broke through $700bn in annual investment, according to an annual analysis of R&D spending across 1000 global public companies by PwC's Strategy&.
It shows corporate R&D spending increased a steady 3% in the past year, bouncing back from less than 1% increase previously.
However, in a global survey with 562 executive participants, R&D leaders expressed concerns about the growing heat of rhetoric about economic nationalism - and its potential impact on where companies invest in R&D how they conduct innovation.
Overall, 52% of respondents say that a general move toward economic nationalism will have a moderate or significant impact on their companies' R&D efforts.
Major companies have been conducting some R&D outside their headquarters countries for decades. In 2015 it was determined that 94% of major corporations conduct their R&D in multiple countries. But increasing attention on regulations and policies for visas, labor movement, and the regulations governing the sharing of knowledge and technology are causing some companies to question how sustainable their integrated global innovation networks are.
Nearly 33% of R&D executives surveyed, report that they have already felt the effects of economic nationalism on their R&D talent acquisition or retention because of visa or work restrictions - either losing employees, seeing less talent available, or in hiring more local talent.
- Although nearly 66% of all participants surveyed say they have not experienced pressure to change their approach to innovation in their headquarters country to date, 23% say they have already experienced such pressure in another country.
- Almost 50% of the companies in North America plan to make changes to their R&D programs over the next two years in response to the changing political environment.
- Survey participants believed US, UK, and China could be most at risk from potential changes in policy that could impact R&D investment. Both the US and UK's talent flow could be at risk of potential disruption while China's decline in corporate R&D spending and reliance on R&D investment from abroad could be at risk.
- Canada, Germany, and France are likely to gain if protectionist policies broadly become a reality.
"It's been a year of highs and lows for R&D. Record levels of investment, next to unprecedented drops in alignment between innovation and business strategies. There's no doubt that uncertainty is causing concern for medium and long term plans, irrespective of whether policy realities actually follow political rhetoric," comments Barry Jaruzelski, Principal, PwC US, Strategy&
"Although the goals and levels of investment in corporate innovation will likely not change if economic nationalism continues to develop, the global innovation model would need to evolve. At many companies, what is now a nimble, interdependent network may become a group of more autonomous hubs, hiring specialist technical talent in local regional markets and opening future R&D centers in regional markets. It could mean companies losing efficiency and taking on higher costs if it is not managed effectively," Commented Jaruzelski.
Global Innovation 1000
The Strategy& Global Innovation 1000 study analyses spending at the world's 1000 largest publicly listed corporate R&D spenders and is now in its 13th year
- Amazon is the largest spender on R&D in the Global Innovation 1000 study, the first time the top spender is a high tech firm. All top four spenders are high tech companies.
- Overall, Software & Internet industry companies continue to increase their year-on-year R&D spending, and the analysis shows that by 2018, Healthcare companies will surpass Computing & Electronics to become the largest industry in terms of R&D spending - the first time in 12 years of analysis.
- Overall, Computing & Electronics, Healthcare, and Automotive are the top three industry sectors and represented 61.3% of global R&D spending in 2017.
- Alphabet, Amazon, GE, IBM and Microsoft all increased their ranking in the 10 Most Innovative Companies list, according to a global survey of R&D executives
- R&D spending by companies based in China declined for the first time in the study, it increased in Japan for first time in 4 years, and continued to grow moderately in North America.
Notes to Editors
- In 2016, worldwide R&D spending among the world's 1000 largest corporate R&D spenders increased 0.04% in 2016 to $680 billion.
- R&D intensity - the measure of R&D spending relative to sales - hit an all-time study high of 4.5%: a rise of 6% year on year amongst the world's top 1000 R&D spenders.
- Companies that deployed 60% or more of their R&D spending outside their headquarters country earned a premium of 30% on operating margin and return on assets, and 20% on growth in operating income over their more domestically focused competitors.
- Uncertainty in economic policy may also be contributing to an unprecedented 19% drop in high alignment between innovation and business strategies within companies, making companies cautious about how to plan for their innovation strategy in the short and medium term.
- The study finds that companies ranked in the list of top ten most innovative companies outperform the top ten R&D spenders on financial metrics including growth, EBITDA, and market capitalisation.
- China's corporate R&D spending had experienced double-digit growth rates for many years, but in 2017 the country saw a 3.3% decline in corporate R&D spending for the first time in the study. 80% of China's R&D spend in 2015 was performed by companies headquartered in other countries. The combination of these trends for China makes the country vulnerable to potential disruptions of R&D investment coming from abroad.
Strategy& is a global team of practical strategists committed to helping you seize essential advantage. We do that by working alongside you to solve your toughest problems and helping you capture your greatest opportunities. We bring 100 years of strategy consulting experience and the unrivaled industry and functional capabilities of the PwC network to the task. We are part of the PwC network of firms in 157 countries with more than 223,000 people committed to delivering quality in assurance, tax, and advisory services.
© 2017 PwC. All rights reserved. PwC refers to the PwC network and/or one or more of its member firms, each of which is a separate legal entity. Please see www.pwc.com/structure for further details.
Rowena Mearley, PwC Global Media Relations
Tel: + 1 646 313 0937
The issuer of this announcement warrants that they are solely responsible for the content, accuracy and originality of the information contained therein.
Source: PwC via Globenewswire
Följ NASDAQ OMX
Abonnera på våra pressmeddelanden.
Senaste pressmeddelandena från NASDAQ OMX
Inspiration Mining to File a Complaint with OSC Against Stockwatch20.2.2018 21:35 | Pressmeddelande
TORONTO, Feb. 20, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Inspiration Mining Corporation (the Corporation) (CSE:ISM) reports that Stockwatch, a Vancouver based news service, has published incorrect news. Inspiration intends to initiate a one (1) for two (2) FORWARD SPLIT. Inspiration fully intends to bring forth a resolution at its upcoming Annual General Meeting to initiate a FORWARD SPLIT, on a one (1) old share for two (2) new share basis. For further information, please contact Randy Miller, Chief Executive Officer of the Corporation, at tel: 416-842-9000, www.inspirationmining.com. The CSE has not reviewed and does not accept responsibility for the adequacy or accuracy of this release. This press release contains forward-looking statements based on assumptions, uncertainties and management's best estimates of future events. Actual results may differ materially from those currently anticipated. Investors are cautioned that such forward-looking statements involve risks and uncertainties. Important
Aurora Releases Third Quarter Results20.2.2018 21:08 | Pressmeddelande
Aurora Solar Technologies Inc. / Aurora Releases Third Quarter Results . Processed and transmitted by Nasdaq Corporate Solutions. The issuer is solely responsible for the content of this announcement. NORTH VANCOUVER, British Columbia, Feb. 20, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Aurora Solar Technologies Inc. ("Aurora")("Company") (TSX.V:ACU) (OTCBB:AACTF) (FSE:A82), a leader in inline measurement and control technology for the photovoltaic manufacturing industry, released today its third quarter results. Revenue for the quarter was $337,325, gross margin was 62.9%, resulting in an operating income loss of ($398,959). Year-to-date for nine months, the Company has recognized $1,903,020 in revenue, an increase of 238% over the same period last year. The operating income (loss) year to date was ($674,983), a reduction of 67.7% from the same period last fiscal year. The Company also confirms, excluding new potential orders, that it has unrecognized revenue from shipments and order backlog of approxi
Bermuda Principles event merges science and business20.2.2018 16:36 | Pressmeddelande
HAMILTON, Bermuda, Feb. 20, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Scientists and researchers from around the world are gathering in Bermuda this week for the second edition of a conference exploring the field of genetic research. Premier the Hon David Burt will officially open "Bermuda Principles: Impact on Splicing" Wednesday evening at the Fairmont Southampton. The conference, which runs through Saturday, has registered 50 delegates, along with an impressive roster of 36 speakers and panellists from 11 countries, including Australia, Denmark, Switzerland and South Africa. Among the attendees are prominent geneticists, scientists, professors, researchers, PhD students working in international labs, biotech representatives and investors. "I am elated to see the growth of the conference since last year's event," said Bermudian Dr. Carika Weldon, a biomedical researcher with her own lab at De Montfort University, UK, who conceived of the event and launched it last February. "My main aim has been to p
Globecomm Joins Amazon Web Services Partner Network20.2.2018 16:00 | Pressmeddelande
Highlights Globecomm establishes direct access to Amazon Web Services (AWS) Direct Connect at key datacenter locations. Customers in U.S. Government, media and entertainment, enterprise video and the Internet of Things (IoT) can interoperate cloud-based services with Globecomm's global satellite and fiber network to reduce capital expenditure and ramp up networks and services faster. Globecomm's suite of Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) applications run on AWS, accessible across both AWS and Globecomm's global network. Globecomm's team in place to design, develop and deliver cloud-centric as well as hybrid architectures for end-to-end services and customer solutions. HAUPPAUGE, N.Y., Feb. 20, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Globecomm announced today that it has joined the Amazon Web Services (AWS) Partner Network (APN) as a Standard Technology Partner. This agreement will enable Globecomm to seamlessly interoperate its global satellite and fiber network with AWS's storage, compute and cloud conte
Elite Capital & Co. awarded Infrastructure Project Finance Provider 2018 by New European Economy20.2.2018 15:41 | Pressmeddelande
LONDON, Feb. 20, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- The Information Department at Elite Capital & Co. Limited (ECC), announced today that the company features in the specialized and prestigious New European Economy Magazine in its January 2018 issue in Britain and the European Union countries as the "Infrastructure Project Finance Provider 2018". The award is the result of focused efforts and synergy between the ECC Board of Directors and our employees and strategic partners all over the world over the past years. It also reflects the ability of the Company's strategy to adapt to the prevailing global economic circumstances and testifies to the viability of the planning process adopted by the Board of Directors. Dr. Faisal Khazaal, Chairman of Elite Capital & Co. commented on the occasion, "I should thank Mr. George Matharu, President of ECC and his Board Members who make ceaseless efforts towards ensuring that ECC continues to occupy a prestigious position in the field of finance and economy in
New MindManager 11 for Mac: Visually Capture, Organize, and Share Information to Drive Project and Business Success20.2.2018 15:26 | Pressmeddelande
Powerful mind mapping and information visualization software introduces its most robust Mac version yet; complete with new diagram types, an expanded template library, advanced mapping capabilities, and improved sharing options OTTAWA, Feb. 20, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Introduced today, MindManager® 11 for Mac brings new elegance and efficiency to the way individuals and teams organize ideas, tackle tasks, and achieve their goals. Already a leader in mind mapping and information visualization on the Mac, MindManager's new release offers advanced mapping capabilities, new diagram types and templates, and easy ways to share and publish your work - all delivered within a redesigned interface optimized to enhance productivity. Individuals, small businesses, and global organizations rely upon MindManager to efficiently brainstorm and organize ideas, communicate knowledge effectively, and execute project success. MindManager enables users to turn unstructured ideas and information into dynam
I vårt pressrum kan du läsa de senaste pressmeddelandena, få tillgång till pressmaterial och hitta kontaktinformation.Besök vårt pressrum